Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th June 2017, 16:34   #23911
BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
The average joe won't be able pronounce aquaplaning, let alone know what it is.
Hah! I saw this happen last weekend en-route to Chennai. I started from BLR around 6 pm, got stuck in a horrendous jam at Hosur toll gate and by the time I was near Vellore, there was quite a heavy rain. After Ranipet, the road is pretty bad almost all the way until Chennai, and knowing this, and the added rain, I was quite slow, probably doing around 50s to 70s whenever I felt confident to keep it at that speed. The rain around this time was quite heavy that my wipers had to work at max speed, and the road at this stretch didnt have any reflectors or markers and one could hardly see more than 20-30 feet ahead. There was this Toyota Innova with half a dozen headlights was trying to overtake me. I managed to move to the left as much as I could (I couldnt see where the road edges were), and he zoomed past. My wife who was dozing until then, saw him pass by and said, why I was so slow does car have any problem, all other vehicles are overtaking you. I said that I'm comfortable only at this speed in the rain, so you just go back to sleep, we will reach safely. Another twenty minutes or so, i see this oddly positioned car with headlights pointing into the fields. Sure enough, the guy in-spite of the attempts to beat the sun in lighting, managed to go straight past the edge of the road and was stuck in some weird angle. My first thought was to stop and see if he needed help, but as I was near I saw there already was a bunch of people, and given the heavy rain and two kiddos in the back seat, I just went on my way slow but steady. We managed to reach Chennai safely by 1.30 AM or so, the rain was luckily less after that one stretch.

Just goes to show that in rain, all the lights and tires wont ensure safety. The tech will do its job, and we should do our job, by limiting ourselves to a level where reflexes can actually work. Our reflexes take a good half second to perform an activity, and at triple digit speeds, in blinding rain with just 50 or so feet of visibility - its just too little time for one's brain to make any decision. Its such a simple thing. But I guess many people end up learning the hard way. I had my dashcam on, but nothing really useful was captured in the rain.

Just a request to everyone to stay safe this monsoon, think of how quickly everything can change. Your stability, your life, your family, your persona - everything can be lost in an instant, and its definitely not worth the little time saved by pushing beyond practical limits of one and one's machine.
kirans is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 16:47   #23912
Distinguished - BHPian

Not an accident, but a purely shocking incident.

Quote:
This couple from Chennai was touring North India and had hired a Royal Enfield motorcycle. They visited Haridwar from Delhi, were returning from Haridwar and were on their way to New Delhi to catch a flight back to Chennai, when they were accosted by the goons on bikes.
The incident occurred at around 4 pm in an area under Nai Mandi police station in Muzaffarnagar. The attackers shot Aditya Kumar in the neck while his wife, Vijaya Lakshmi sustained serious injuries. The goons then fled the spot.
The injured couple was being accompanied by a friend Shyam Teja, who informed the police while a passer-by took the injured duo to a nearby hospital. Later they were admitted into a hospital in Delhi. Earlier today it was revealed that the husband died in the hospital.

Source & full article
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 16:55   #23913
BHPian

This happened in Mount Abu. The report says that van driver was under the influence of alcohol.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 17:07   #23914
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
This happened in Mount Abu. The report says that van driver was under the influence of alcohol.
We can read about Drunken Driving accidents / deaths / maimed people / orphaned kids etc. all day and still come back with "I have great control / I'm a very mature driver even when drunk". That's us.
Torqy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 17:31   #23915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Something I will trust closing my eyes when its Mount Abu.

This is the nearest bootlegger's Den for folks from Gujarat, especially Ahmedabad-Mehasana region and the only reason most of them drive here is to get intoxicated and then drive back to their cities.

This is just too common here and we have had videos right here on this thread from a route connecting another haven (Daman & Diu) to Saurashtra region of Gujarat.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 17:36   #23916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans View Post
The tech will do its job, and we should do our job, by limiting ourselves to a level where reflexes can actually work
The tech will do its job, but it will do so based on inputs from the driver. As in the example shared by you, the Innova may be good enough to take that turn and also its tyres in good condition. But was the driver in good enough condition to do that?
Glad to read that you drove well and reached home safely.

A lot of people end up in accidents because they end up trying the limits of their car. But forget their own driving limitations or other road limitations such as unlit areas, jaywalkers, stray animals, loitering barely visible vehicles and so on.

we are tuned to acheiving the maximum possible out of ever ounce of effort that we spend. It should not matter if we are doing 60, though the car is able to to 200, and the road says 100. But somehow, as with almost all other materialistic things, we expect to get maximum returns from our investment. Of effort, time and money.

I am probably turning this post into a psychology lecture
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote