Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 26th September 2017, 11:55   #24721
BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Any accident at any speed can be fatal to any road user.
Agreed.But that exactly is not the point here.
Higher the speed, greater is the fatality & lesser are the chances of survival.
Or do you think the outcome is the same for accident at 50 kmph and 170 kmph?
There is a greater chance of survival in accidents at moderate speeds.
That is a fact and can't be denied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post

Instead of speed governors the authorities should be implementing and enforcing:-

Increase Insurance premiums for under 25.
Just the above 2 points will make a huge difference, if not for the present generation, the next will certainly benefit.
Sorry, but I don't think this will work out.

Considering the fact that majority of the riders in the age group that you have mentioned ride bikes that are purchased with their affluent parents money, I don't think they would care if there is an increase in the insurance premium.
Afterall, if the parents could afford an expensive bike, they would very well afford the insurance premium hike too.

And frankly I didn't understand your last point that the next generation will benefit, if not the current generation.

In any case, we are talking about an immediate measure to control such deaths.
Not a long-term plan whose benefits will start to appear after generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savitar View Post
Why not restrict youngsters from using such bikes? Bring in licensing system based on cubic capacity.
That is a more practical solution.
We still follow the age old system when 350cc bullet was the highest capacity machine available in the country.
Today we have litre-class bikes in plenty and still the same licensing system is followed wherein you can ride a Platina and Hayabusa with the same license.
VinodDevil81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 12:04   #24722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post

On further inquiring about this with the owner of the vehicle, the driver had slowed down for a speed breaker but unfortunately, a TATA Sumo could not slow down in time and kissed it around 10-15 kmph speed.
I also hate the direction Maruti is taking with their new vehicles doesn't feel future proof at all. I thought they were actually making a heavy comitment when they offered the Kizashi, and even though the name meant ' good omen ' and the car itself did not sell well, I thought it was atleast a sign of good things to come from the Suzuki stable. The Kizashi when launched in 2010, was still out performing VWs and BMWs in 2014 in crash tests. Now they are just going backwards; The Baleno, Brezza, Ciaz etc such poorly built cars.

That said, so much damage at 10-15 kmph? Seriously? I don't think so.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 12:10   #24723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That said, so much damage at 10-15 kmph? Seriously? I don't think so.
I was astonished just like you. Even the owner did not believe that such a big dent was caused by the SUMO which was also a part of their convoy.
You can see the TATA-SUMO parked in the pic.

Last edited by redcruiser : 26th September 2017 at 12:14. Reason: addition
redcruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 12:56   #24724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
I don't get a good feeling when I see the new range Suzukis in this shape.
Most people buying these cars are concerned about 3 things:
  1. How fast does it go?
  2. How efficient is it? Buying cost Vs Fuel Cost
  3. How many it can carry? Not Seating capacity but literally how many can fit in

And anyone can see that all 3 conditions cannot be fulfilled at the same time at all times. Net result is a vehicle that is underpowered, tall and large carrying 5+ people in it at a speed from which it cannot stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
In any case, we are talking about an immediate measure to control such deaths.
A bike accident at 170 kph in the night is equivalent to someone jumping off of a terrace of a building. Fast bikes are Fine Machines that are to be enjoyed responsibly, largely dependent on the person driving. Same with cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
You can see the TATA-SUMO parked in the pic.
A car built in the 90s copying a few built a decade before that, with zero crumple zones meets a car designed for modern times with crumple zones at both front and back with better braking distances. To top it all, the Sumo would probably have had a bull bar as standard fitment to kill and maim anyone it's path for good measure, somewhat like that chariot from 'Bahubali'.

Have been seeing this one car recently added to the Kanakapura Road Exit from Tumkur road side. Looks like it landed on it's roof or went sideways and hit a lorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-img_4575.jpg  

Last edited by shubhodeepdas@g : 26th September 2017 at 13:07. Reason: Anticipated Clarification
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote