Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 12:47   #3106
BHPian
 
SAHIR.KITTUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgaum / Doha
Posts: 290
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is Kilner = Cleaner?



Yes its a CLEANER. Let me tell you what he is doing.
When a truck starts to runs out of fuel, the cleaner primes the hand pump on the fuel pump ( Bosh pump as known in trucking language ). This is done to reach by near fuel station.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 14:33   #3107
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,730
Thanked: 6,943 Times
Default

If I had been in that Fiat, I wuldn't have been able to hold the camera still to get those pics! I would have been shaking like a leaf in a storm!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 15:01   #3108
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Yes its a CLEANER. Let me tell you what he is doing.
When a truck starts to runs out of fuel, the cleaner primes the hand pump on the fuel pump ( Bosh pump as known in trucking language ). This is done to reach by near fuel station.
Well, Kilner is also trucker's lingo
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 17:58   #3109
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 265 Times
Default

An overspeeding Omni ran over this mound of mud close to my house this morning. Luckily nobody was injured. The car had a broken windshield. The driver was a teenager without a license!
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-image015.jpg  

gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 18:18   #3110
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
An overspeeding Omni ran over this mound of mud close to my house this morning. Luckily nobody was injured. The car had a broken windshield. The driver was a teenager without a license!
How did the windshield break? Was it his head? Another case of not wearing a seat belt.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 20:08   #3111
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Saw this while I was driving today to Trivandrum. This was somewhere between Kollam and Trivandrum in NH 47.

Name:  DSC00192.JPG
Views: 9952
Size:  292.9 KB

NH 47 in Kerala has become busier during these years. It no longer feels like a highway anywhere, but it rather feels like a busy road through a town throughout its 2 lane stretch. You'll hate driving if you drive through this road often.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th August 2009 at 20:10.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 20:19   #3112
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 265 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
NH 47 in Kerala has become busier during these years. It no longer feels like a highway anywhere, but it rather feels like a busy road through a town throughout its 2 lane stretch.
clevermax,

I agree with you on this. I did the trip to TVM from BLR last year after a gap of about 3 years and the road has indeed become very crowded.

All along my drive, I saw close to 10 major accidents.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 20:24   #3113
BHPian
 
sanstorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 152
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Goosebump moments!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I had been in that Fiat, I wuldn't have been able to hold the camera still to get those pics! I would have been shaking like a leaf in a storm!
The exact thoughts were going in my mind seeeing those pictures and Sunil's post. The Fiat build played its role in the survival, but credit to the almighty.

Its miraculous escape for the blessed family.

sanstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 20:27   #3114
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 265 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
How did the windshield break? Was it his head? Another case of not wearing a seat belt.
harishnayak,

The car was towed away just this evening as the driveshaft broke (how I don't know). The owner (teen's uncle) was present and I went there to enquire about the guy. The guy's uncle said that he was not wearing his seatbelt and has a head injury (deep gash) and is in hospital. Guess, his head did hit the glass which led to it breaking.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 21:58   #3115
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
harishnayak,

The car was towed away just this evening as the driveshaft broke (how I don't know). The owner (teen's uncle) was present and I went there to enquire about the guy. The guy's uncle said that he was not wearing his seatbelt and has a head injury (deep gash) and is in hospital. Guess, his head did hit the glass which led to it breaking.
This was bound to happen. Hope that guy recovers soon.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 11:25   #3116
BHPian
 
PaglaGoru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
.................. Linea was a Total Loss and disposed as scrap for below three quarters of a lakh!
Isn't under these circumstances you get your insurance claim ??? I am sure it wouldn't have been three quarters of a lakh. Or did he decide that his 'tank' was beyond an insurance ?

A Linea costs considerable money to be shaken and stirred like this and then to be sold as scrap for peanuts !!!! Having a hard time swallowing this .....
PaglaGoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 11:41   #3117
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 853
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Linea came face to face with a granite filled TATA Tipper. the tipper crashed into the Linea and Toppled Over it.
Doesn't seem face to face from the pictures - it is more like sumo wrestler taking on a liliput!
I notice that both the front tyres on the tipper are bald - that is sure recipe for disaster - the front wheels do the steering and having bald front tyres is inviting suicide.
Guess the truck owners never learn - they spend lakhs on the vehicle, but scrimp a measly thousands on good tyres!
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 11:44   #3118
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaglaGoru View Post
Isn't under these circumstances you get your insurance claim ??? I am sure it wouldn't have been three quarters of a lakh. Or did he decide that his 'tank' was beyond an insurance ?

A Linea costs considerable money to be shaken and stirred like this and then to be sold as scrap for peanuts !!!! Having a hard time swallowing this .....
Yes after the Insurance claim! Note the words Total Loss and disposed off as scrap.! IDV 95% - 75000/- was the insurance amount!
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 12:56   #3119
BHPian
 
PaglaGoru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Yes after the Insurance claim! Note the words Total Loss and disposed off as scrap.! IDV 95% - 75000/- was the insurance amount!
Nonetheless sad end to a great car - I was sometimes back seriously eyeing this one.
PaglaGoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 00:20   #3120
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 404 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I had been in that Fiat, I wuldn't have been able to hold the camera still to get those pics! I would have been shaking like a leaf in a storm!
Forget actually being in that car - just looking at the pics induced a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. The family is truly lucky to have survived. God is great! The Fiat's build quality too is God's doing. I too would have done what the father did - go back and buy another of the same that car seems to be built to save lives. I hope the dealer and Fiat work together to deliver it to this family ASAP.

It is at moments like these that we realise that there is more to cars than just torque, power, handling, FE etc.

I wish everyone bought only cars with airbags and used their seat belts.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 11th August 2009 at 00:27.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks