Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2009, 14:56   #4291
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,707
Thanked: 543 Times
Default

Speed kills !!!

Madness it is;it is a crime to do such speeds to test the car - unless it is a test track.

There must be a law restricting test drive speeds and put the onus on the dealerships in case of mishaps - road tests reports should be enough to help one make a judgement.

We don't test airplanes before we sit in them,do we?And even if we did,what guarantee does it offer to take you to point B in one piece(refer AF447)?
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 15:06   #4292
BHPian
 
SX4LOVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 277
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

I happened to pass by minutes after the accident occured. the way the audi was damaged, it was easy to figure out in one look that someone would probably have lost his life. There was a huge commotion around and lot of people including come construction workers had become onlookers.

The accident occured right after a u-turn and it seems that the business man was speeding in the test drive car when the couple in i10 must have been either taking a u turn or entering the road, when the audi hit them.

GOES TO PROVE ONCE AGAIN THAT MONEY, EDUCATION OR ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD CAN NOT BY YOU AN OUNCE OF WISDOM TO DO THINGS RIGHT.

The Indian mentality seems to be that earn s**t load of money, buy a huge/powerful vehicle that occupies 3/4 th of the road and then floor the accelerator. dont think much if you happen to kill somebody..the idiot probably shouldnt have been in your way.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 15:33   #4293
BHPian
 
khan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta/London/Dubai/Delhi
Posts: 371
Thanked: Once
Default

Massive accident in Gurgaon yesterday that claimed the life of an innocent person. Here's a link to the article in today's HT.

The brand new A6 was allegedly out on a TD. The i10 was hit with such force from the right hand side that it rolled over thrice and the person driving the car was killed instantly.
Attached Images
  
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 15:38   #4294
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,641
Thanked: 1,353 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
One would think that education might have a sobering effect on people, but that clearly is not the case.

The accused allegedly fled the scene without trying to help the victims.

This would mean stricter regulations on test drives. The already reluctant dealers will have another reason to deny us TDs.
1) Why people relate Education with discipline and good moral standards ? I have time and again posted that a few educational degree/qualification will not give an individual a good, high moral thinking. A few educational degrees/qualifications will not give an individual discipline.

First things like good moral, discipline, honesty come from your upbringing. Next thing is school. Schools, the less said the better. Also people think that higher the fees of a school = better education. But this is cheap attitude IMO.

For inducing values in a human when he is kid, one has to spend time and give proper enviorment at home. Again, next is school with good teacher who possess values and not just educational degree/qualifications.

I have seen people who are just 10th pass but their thinking is really high and they are honest people.

Get out of the stigma of educational qualification = good people.

2) TD vehicles.
There has to be some restrictions, specially on speed. They way people have started driving these cars is unsafe for anyone. Have you seen Wagon R doing 90 degree sharp turn at speeds above 80 ? I have seen that in TD vehicle.

But before that, there has to be some restrictions on who TDes a vehicle. People TD a car for fun, which must be stopped.
As of now, speed restriction seems to be the best temporary solution.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 15:51   #4295
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Lets not deviate from the topic. It isn't about education and discipline. One just expects educated people to be better aware of the consequences of their actions and the importance of discipline.


I do agree that TDs invariably cross the threshold of sanity for most people. I have been on TDs with people who drive crazy just to impress the others in the car!
All said and done, testing any vehicle involves some element of risk. However, we should employ judgement about how safe a particular maneuver is.

I remember when I TD'd the ANHC, I wasn't able to test the braking because of the amount of traffic on the road. On the other hand, a TD without testing something as integral as braking is quite incomplete.

As far as TD'ing a car for *fun* is concerned. I don't agree with your views. I test drive a lot of vehicles which I have no intention of buying. Although I prefer not to call it fun, but it serves little purpose other than satisfying my curiosity.

In any case... it is distressing to see the number of accidents on roads these days. I implore everyone to drive safe!

Cheers!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 16:07   #4296
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,069
Thanked: 4,498 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
It isn't about education and discipline. One just expects educated people to be better aware of the consequences of their actions and the importance of discipline.


I do agree that TDs invariably cross the threshold of sanity for most people. I have been on TDs with people who drive crazy just to impress the others in the car!
All said and done, testing any vehicle involves some element of risk. However, we should employ judgement about how safe a particular maneuver is.

I remember when I TD'd the ANHC, I wasn't able to test the braking because of the amount of traffic on the road. On the other hand, a TD without testing something as integral as braking is quite incomplete.

As far as TD'ing a car for *fun* is concerned. I don't agree with your views. I test drive a lot of vehicles which I have no intention of buying. Although I prefer not to call it fun, but it serves little purpose other than satisfying my curiosity.

In any case... it is distressing to see the number of accidents on roads these days. I implore everyone to drive safe!

Cheers!
quite aptly put in,
though on another note the kind of crimes committed by even cops(just pick up any news paper today) should be suffice,
TD should be on a deserted or empty road and a dealer should make sure of this, i know its too much to ask for and so the same would go to manufacturers to make cars complete with ABS & Airbags, mass production would bring the cost down...
and even if the law catches up with the accused and punishes him, no amount of punishment can bring the deceased back to life, sigh!
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 16:13   #4297
BHPian
 
SX4LOVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 277
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Moments after the business man was caught, he was out on bail. Now, with his money, he'll get the best lawyers, which the lady who just lost her husband wont be able to afford, and the accused (is he?) will go scot free even after killing someone. Look at the ruchika case!!

We live in a country of dogs!!
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 16:19   #4298
BHPian
 
KRRaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 509
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Heres the Link to the story.
HindustanTimes ePaper - Article

PIcked up from this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1652963

I guess the Culprit is rich and will get away easily. So much for Law in India..
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 16:40   #4299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 541
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

This is the driving skills of a future Audi/ Merc/ BMW………. owner. Poor i10 driver lost his life in free. Test Driver should be hanged……..
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 16:44   #4300
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 269
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Very sad incident. A family on the way to Christmas Luncheon. The head of the family passed away, his wife is critical. The daughter escaped with minor injuries.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 16:56   #4301
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Massive accident in Gurgaon yesterday that claimed the life of an innocent person. Here's a link to the article in today's HT.

The brand new A6 was allegedly out on a TD. The i10 was hit with such force from the right hand side that it rolled over thrice and the person driving the car was killed instantly.
This guy Mittal got bail within hours of arrest . Is that all he gets for ruining the happiness of a family.

An IIT educated person like him leaving the occupants of i10 to die. Sheer shame on him.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 20:48   #4302
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,489
Thanked: 4,534 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
This guy Mittal got bail within hours of arrest . Is that all he gets for ruining the happiness of a family.

An IIT educated person like him leaving the occupants of i10 to die. Sheer shame on him.
I feel the print and electronic media can pressurise the law enforcers, who may backtrack from their dubious ways only then.
TRAGIC and VERY, VERY sad! And can happen to anyone of us!
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 21:02   #4303
Senior - BHPian
 
foby.sebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KL-08 / KL-01
Posts: 2,448
Thanked: 1,102 Times
Default

Oh jeeez

May his soul rest in peace , my heart felt condolence to his family.
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 21:07   #4304
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,290
Thanked: 123 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

I guess that this has happened in the city limits & driving at speeds in excess of 13O kmph Also I do not see any relation to education or richness with this accident. He does not have enough driving skill to handle the situation & would have just floored the pedal without foreseeing the consequences of such high speed when the capable vehicle offered it.

My heart goes out for the poor i10 occupants family.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 21:15   #4305
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I guess that this has happened in the city limits & driving at speeds in excess of 13O kmph Also I do not see any relation to education or richness with this accident. He does not have enough driving skill to handle the situation & would have just floored the pedal without foreseeing the consequences of such high speed when the capable vehicle offered it.

My heart goes out for the poor i10 occupants family.
At such an high speed with his 3 kids in the car. You're right , maybe he was not able to handle the speed.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:50.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks