Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 11:15   #5311
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
This morning paper carried this freak accident.
The guy was surely testing Darwin's Theory here and he proved most of it as correct except the survival part. Maybe he will give it a try again. This time waiting for a train to show up. The rest of our lot will be a safer bunch if such people are eliminated.

This is what happens when dumb folks try to get infront of everyone else on our roads.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 11:28   #5312
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,690
Thanked: 3,560 Times
Default

I want to start a campaign for safety and plead to every manufacturer to make ABS and dual airbags standard on ALL variants of all cars sold here. Sales of cars that fail to comply with the minimum safety standards should be banned.

Let the price go up, and let people get aware and pay extra for safety. Unfortunately, the Indian car market lags light years behind when it comes to ocupent safety and some companies continue to sell prehistoric products here and people continue to buy it.
When will we learn? Isn't this thread enough?
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 11:37   #5313
BHPian
 
Mr_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 823
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
The ToI article is here.



My thoughts:
1. Even if people shouted at the driver to stop, he would not have heard because his windows were rolled up. And everybody would roll up their windows and keep the A/C running in the Chennai heat.
2. I don't know why the paper always has to say "speeding" and "rash driving". We don't know what speed the Scorpio was driving at, and this could have happened even if he was driving within the speed limit and saw the road ending ahead of him too late.
3. The case has been book against the driver? Unbelievable! The case should have been booked against the officials who did not leave a barricade or warning signs.
This accident happened at 11:10 AM which is peak time, In Chennai - he must have at least realized that at that time why there are no vehicles running on that stretch
Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 11:40   #5314
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,701 Times
Default

Where in the world is a flyover to space left unfinished for years? Where in the world is such a flyover left open? Apparently ropes were put ...and stolen.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 12:01   #5315
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default

Not to sound funny, but if it is as in case of an action movie, more acceleration could have landed him on the other side of the bridge. Anyway, the fact that he came out alive is now a advertisement material for M&M.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 12:09   #5316
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

Hahahahaa@the flying scorpio

Reminds me of the song from the movie Crazy Heart:
"Funny how falling feels like flying... for a little while"

Maybe he was trying this theory out.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 12:12   #5317
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

I think the guy driving the Scorpio may have just seen the CBZ Extreme ad & was unconsciously emulating it - you know the one where the rider crosses over ferries, tracts of ocean or whatever & ends with the words "Thinking is such a waste of time"

Last edited by suman : 9th April 2010 at 12:14.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 12:26   #5318
BHPian
 
nick17s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 528
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

@cardeepIt seems that police-wallahs were more interested in minting money from rich family than saving the middle class old man.

Delhi needs better Police Men/Women not only for CWG, but generally: No comments on that because most of the people would prefer to give bribe instead of getting a challan, just walk off by paying money.

Public around the incident could have also helped the oldy, however, they were busy in watching/touching a beemer, and on the top of it, no one wants to get into an accident case.

{i remember 1 friend of mine helped an old couple (sum car hit the old couple, and they were in a 2 wheeler)by taking them to a hospital in new delhi at 1am, and the police man was rude to my friend, that if the person who hit the 2 wheeler didnt stop, why did you stop, he wanted to say that my friend had hit them}

But thats Delhi for you my friend..Welcome..

Last edited by Mpower : 9th April 2010 at 21:29.
nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 12:26   #5319
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Not to sound funny, but if it is as in case of an action movie, more acceleration could have landed him on the other side of the bridge. Anyway, the fact that he came out alive is now a advertisement material for M&M.
Remember the scene from "Speed" where they made the bus fly???

But, good that it landed the way it did; any other angle would have been fatal! Look at the roof, the pillars seems to have collapsed on the impact force!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 12:30   #5320
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,888
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

the BMW crash is sad, HT has carried all the details of the story. The flying scorpio, I fail to understand on what sense does the police register case against the driver ? If he drove over a road and fell down what was his fault ? Shouldnt he sue the corporation for endangering his and others lives at risk, ask from them for the damages etc. This can happen only in India where the aggrieved party is penalised.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 13:14   #5321
BHPian
 
AlokSriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremont
Posts: 482
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
BTW, no roads or any public places are meant for defecating or urinating. If the old man could has held is (nature) urges & walk 5-10 to his home he would have been alive.
Interesting observation.. at the risk of sounding as if I am advocating publicly defecating or urinating , had the deceased not taken that route for morning walk, or for that matter, had not stepped out of his house for his quota of morning walk, or better still, had never indulged in the healthy (though turned out to be deadly for him) habit of going out on morning walks in the first place, he would have been alive!

Sir, there are way too many ifs in life and that doesn't mean one would stop living his everyday life (of course I am not talking about public defecating or urinating) because if he does abc, he could die.. or if he does xyz, he could again die!
AlokSriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 13:46   #5322
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,697
Thanked: 1,477 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
@cardeepIt seems that police-wallahs were more interested in minting money from rich family than saving the middle class old man.

Delhi needs better Police Men/Women not only for CWG, but generally: No comments on that because most of the people would prefer to give bribe instead of getting a challan, just walk off by paying money.

Public around the incident could have also helped the oldy, however, they were busy in watching/touching a beemer, and on the top of it, no one wants to get into an accident case.

{i remember 1 friend of mine helped an old couple (sum car hit the old couple, and they were in a 2 wheeler)by taking them to a hospital in new delhi at 1am, and the police man was rude to my friend, that if the person who hit the 2 wheeler didnt stop, why did you stop, he wanted to say that my friend had hit them}

But thats Delhi for you my friend..Welcome..
We all know that, those people who blocked traffic or as a matter of fact passed from that road at the time never did care to take the deceased to hospital, but rather preferred to watch the man suffer & die. Pity isn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Interesting observation.. at the risk of sounding as if I am advocating publicly defecating or urinating , had the deceased not taken that route for morning walk, or for that matter, had not stepped out of his house for his quota of morning walk, or better still, had never indulged in the healthy (though turned out to be deadly for him) habit of going out on morning walks in the first place, he would have been alive!

Sir, there are way too many ifs in life and that doesn't mean one would stop living his everyday life (of course I am not talking about public defecating or urinating) because if he does abc, he could die.. or if he does xyz, he could again die!
... that fate my dear.

But, I still do not advocate urinating/ defecating on road.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 13:50   #5323
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Read this newsreport of an accident on the Worli Sealink. Cannot imagine how the guys got saves seeing the condition of the vehicle. Car manufacturer should take credit !!
Lucky escape for speeding Mumbai teens
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 13:56   #5324
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Read this newsreport of an accident on the Worli Sealink. Cannot imagine how the guys got saves seeing the condition of the vehicle. Car manufacturer should take credit !!
Lucky escape for speeding Mumbai teens
I saw the car. Bad shape. Happened on worli sea face not sea link.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 13:57   #5325
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Read this newsreport of an accident on the Worli Sealink. Cannot imagine how the guys got saves seeing the condition of the vehicle. Car manufacturer should take credit !!
Lucky escape for speeding Mumbai teens
From the report
Quote:
"We are investigating the case. The boy was speeding and he seems to have lost control. We still have to conduct a test to find out if he was intoxicated," said U K Mane, duty officer, Worli police station.
What are they waiting for? For him to get sober if he is drunk? Ze Germans??

Last edited by amitoj : 9th April 2010 at 14:05.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks