Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 10:19   #5521
BHPian
 
gold class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 90
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

YET ANOTHER VOLVO ACCIDENT
The Kallada group multi-axle volvo operating in Bangalore - Alleppy route(red colour B9R) rammed in to a tipper lorry yesterday night near Krishnagiri.Casulaties are not known. The bus had a heavy damage on left side as told to me by a driver of another bus.
gold class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 10:36   #5522
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,261
Thanked: 4,208 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The four youths who passed away stay close to my place in thrissur , 2 of them are cousins , while the one of 3 married 2.5 years back.No one here knows whats the reason behind the accident .
According to the newspaper, the deceased included Jenin Raj [21], Seenu [24], John [29], and Ravi [19]. It seems, while Seenu had a blood-testing lab, the others were working in a jewellery shop. They had come to Bangalore to collect information regarding further studies and to see their friends. May their souls rest in peace.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 29th April 2010 at 10:41.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:34   #5523
Senior - BHPian
 
agspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MH-31
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 287 Times
Default

Quote:
Before any one takes offence to the 'Bhooka Nanga" bit above let me quickly add that the fault rests entirely with the snake as it was jay walking err jay slithering!! May his soul RIP.
That snake was alive,as shown in the video after the pile up, it was peacefully lying on the divider....

Last edited by agspins : 29th April 2010 at 12:36.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:53   #5524
Senior - BHPian
 
gigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,321
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
pick you choice who is responsible,
a) Snake
b) driver of the first car
c) others who were tailgating
Truly all those who were tailgating are at fault, but will they agree to it? everyone will blame the guy in front for braking!
The first guy might have been speeding but he managed not to crush the poor thing, but all behind were following looking everywhere other than front and could not react with same enthusiasm. the there is also a possibility of front guy might not have a working tail lights, so common here.

Last edited by gigy : 29th April 2010 at 12:55.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:04   #5525
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,888
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

one the snake thing, it was mentioned that the Red Santro was the one who did panic braking as he spotted the snake and rest all rammed into him. Then I wonder how come the front of the car was banged !
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:17   #5526
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,697
Thanked: 1,477 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

I do not understand that if you spot a snake why do you need to stop on the road. Why you can't drive on? To drive over the snake or away from the snake is your choice. Obviously, you would not like to stop there & wait for the venomous reptile to kiss you.
Apparently, the driver who spotted the snake was at fault, who could have carried on. Wasn't he aware that in Navi Mumbai roads the average speed of the traffic is over 50 kmph.

In a situation, where three or four cars are driving together even maintaining safe margin, panic braking by the first car can easily cause a pile up.
It happened in my case as well, when I severed to the left to (successfully) avoid hitting a OHC which had applied panic brakes on the NH1 to avoid a truck which had changed lane without indicating.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:29   #5527
BHPian
 
SPEEDY_RACER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Swift & Innova Accident

The First picture is a Swift which happened near nellore(AP), the family went to Tiruvamali in 2 cars for some prayers, and while coming back it hit a Divider Pole, and then hitted some tree, only 6 yr child has survived in this accident and rest of them were spot dead.

The Second picture is already posted where in the Kerala guys met with an accident near Hosur flyover, the car was doing around 100, and it was tailgating a Lorry, all of a sudden the lorry stopped and the vehicle rammed into the lorry making several deaths.

its an innova. seed the pillar c.
Attached Images
  
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:48   #5528
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 541
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I do not understand that if you spot a snake why do you need to stop on the road. Why you can't drive on? To drive over the snake or away from the snake is your choice. Obviously, you would not like to stop there & wait for the venomous reptile to kiss you.
Apparently, the driver who spotted the snake was at fault, who could have carried on. Wasn't he aware that in Navi Mumbai roads the average speed of the traffic is over 50 kmph.
So what creature should you eventually stop for if not a snake ?
A small kitten ? A puppy ? A dog ? A horse ? Humans ?
Beg hopefully - for elephants ?

Why do we always take the existance of all creatures apart from humans 'for granted' ? We take over their land and then run over them for coming into our way?

The first car was dead right to 'stop'.

The idiots behind should know what speed to do and how to control their vehicles.

What if it was a kid instead of that reptile ?
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:49   #5529
Senior - BHPian
 
agspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MH-31
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 287 Times
Default

Even i dont understand whats the reason for stopping when you spot a snake, probably its the fear for snake"Baap re Saanp" thing which made the driver psyche out, i had similar experience while traveling towards Baroda from A'bad on the expressway,an elderly person with whom we were traveling, was behind the wheel.We were doing around 80 when he suddenly spotted a snake( dead one) near the divider, slammed the brakes hard in the middle of the road,thankfully vehicle behind us were still at a distance.On the same road(expressway) some days later was doing 90-100,when a stray dog jumped in front of the car out of nowhere,unfortunately had to knock it down as braking would have resulted in car hitting the divider or a nasty pile up as there were at least 4 vehicles behind me including a GSRTC bus( in both cases it would be me in a Photo frame on the wall).

Last edited by agspins : 29th April 2010 at 13:58.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:52   #5530
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
That snake was alive,as shown in the video after the pile up, it was peacefully lying on the divider....
As per the local report, the snake was slithering across the road, but not able to clear quickly due to the heat. It was struggling to cross. But, unfortunately, after the 7 car pile up, the local beat it to death! There is a photo of the same in the local paper (of yesterdays).

7 cars banged for nothing!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
...The Second picture is already posted where in the Kerala guys met with an accident near Hosur flyover, the car was doing around 100, and it was tailgating a Lorry, all of a sudden the lorry stopped and the vehicle rammed into the lorry making several deaths.

its an innova. seed the pillar c.
I doubt if the car was tailgating the lorry at 100. The Innova definitely has better braking than the lorry and would have been able to stop, if not before, at least with minimal damage (notice the drive side is not damaged completely). This is unless, the driver wasn't paying attention and panicked at that moment.

Regardless, unfortunate loss of life! RIP!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 14:09   #5531
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,515 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I doubt if the car was tailgating the lorry at 100. The Innova definitely has better braking than the lorry and would have been able to stop, if not before, at least with minimal damage (notice the drive side is not damaged completely). This is unless, the driver wasn't paying attention and panicked at that moment.

Regardless, unfortunate loss of life! RIP!
same here. tailgating cannot cause that kind of damage and loss of life. the truck might not have had its brake lights working. the youngsters might have come in at high speed and realised it too late > tried to avoid the truck but rammed into it > ricocheted onto some other obstacle (the left side has been ripped open) and come to a stop.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 14:13   #5532
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

Given the number of accidents that occur to people going to or returning from a pilgrimage, you'd think there is a message there somewhere that the higher powers are trying to tell us.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 14:15   #5533
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,697
Thanked: 1,477 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
So what creature should you eventually stop for if not a snake ?
A small kitten ? A puppy ? A dog ? A horse ? Humans ?
Beg hopefully - for elephants ?

Why do we always take the existance of all creatures apart from humans 'for granted' ? We take over their land and then run over them for coming into our way?

The first car was dead right to 'stop'.

The idiots behind should know what speed to do and how to control their vehicles.

What if it was a kid instead of that reptile ?
Sometimes we have to be practical, not just animal lover... Please let this job to Menaka Gandhi, who would not let the Municipal Committees control stray animals problem. At least the 1st car driver should applied brakes progressively instead of panic braking. What if any child, old or as a matter of fact any person in the cars had died? Who would have been blamed... the snake or the driver. Going by your logic I may not be driving or as a matter of fact doing many daily activities because it harms other living forms (including micro-organisms).

Add to this, in certain conditions, however, proactive or good driver you may be, this type of accidents are unavoidable because of the moron ahead.

BTW when I drive, I always take care to watch though the cars ahead (through the windscreens) for a couple of cars ahead.

All I wanted to say was that the 1st car driver was a bad driver as he could have not only avoided the snake but also the accident.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 14:37   #5534
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 541
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Sometimes we have to be practical, not just animal lover... Please let this job to Menaka Gandhi, who would not let the Municipal Committees control stray animals problem.
Its not about being Menaka Gandhi. Its about being human, considerate and sensitive.
It is an imbibed and understood nature. Some people fail to realize this.

Quote:
At least the 1st car driver should applied brakes progressively instead of panic braking.
How do you know if he did or did not ? Should he have diverted his path and jumped lanes (and caused mayhem in the next lane) ? His target was to not hit that creature with his vehicle and he successfully did that.

Quote:
What if any child, old or as a matter of fact any person in the cars had died? Who would have been blamed... the snake or the driver.
Still the driver/s fault.
You (the drivers) have to be even more careful if they are travelling with kids or aged people. Tailgating at high speed and not being able to control your vehicle is not an excuse.

Quote:
Going by your logic I may not be driving or as a matter of fact doing many daily activities because it harms other living forms (including micro-organisms).
Simply try to do what you see, and what you can. Take your point - be practical.

Quote:
Add to this, in certain conditions, however, proactive or good driver you may be, this type of accidents are unavoidable because of the moron ahead.
No. Basics of driving.
Anything ahead of you - it is your responsibility to control.

Anything behind you out of your control - thats where you bring in the element of destiny.

Quote:
BTW when I drive, I always take care to watch though the cars ahead (through the windscreens) for a couple of cars ahead.
Glad to know. Good practice. Lets just hope we have more people on the road follow suit.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 14:51   #5535
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
So what creature should you eventually stop for if not a snake ?
A small kitten ? A puppy ? A dog ? A horse ? Humans ?
Beg hopefully - for elephants ?

Why do we always take the existance of all creatures apart from humans 'for granted' ? We take over their land and then run over them for coming into our way?

The first car was dead right to 'stop'.

The idiots behind should know what speed to do and how to control their vehicles.

What if it was a kid instead of that reptile ?
Interesting. Let's imagine a situation where you are driving in a car, your wife beside you and your kids in the backseat. You stop at a red signal, a lot of other vehicles pull up around / behind you. The signal turns green, everyone accelerates and within seconds the vehicles reach 60+kmph. There's a curve and as you enter the curve you see a stray dog standing in the path of your vehicle. You start honking, hoping to catch its attention and warn it off the road. It seems to be deaf. A Sumo has caught up with you and is running parellel to you on the right, a bus running on the left and a BMC dumper insanely honking and flashing right behind you. Would you have the nerve to slam on your brakes and be rammed from behind by the BMC dumper? Would you swerve to the right and hit the Sumo? Or would you swerve left and be rammed against the bus?

I wish it never happens to you or your near and dear ones. But if I were you, I would sacrifice the stray dog instead of my family.

I appreciate your concerns over animal safety, but personally I would prefer to save humans in my car than stray dogs on the road who are idiot enough to not get out of the way.

Last edited by honeybee : 29th April 2010 at 14:58. Reason: forgot to add "not" in the last sentence.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks