Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 09:00   #6946
BHPian
 
justwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 316
Thanked: 189 Times
Default

I was just going through this thread and read a few incidents (accidents) when the driver fell asleep. (Infact one was so scaring about this person driving with his pregnant wife on the front seat and dosed off, luckily she saw it and shouted. Please fellas, don't be so irresponsible, please).
Well reading all the dosing off incidents, I would like to tell my tale. I was travelling to Frankfurt from Kolkata and had a 9 hr lay over at Dubai. Courtesy Emirates we got a transit VISA and a stay at the airport hotel outside. We were a group of 6 and when we checked in, me and my boss (a fellow TBHP'ian) grabbed a 2 hr night Dubai tour.(2:30AM to 4:30 AM). A nice driver took us for a ride around dubai. And then it just happenned while driving back. I was in the front seat with my cam when I realised the drivers head suddenly took a lurch. I quickly glanced at him and saw those sleepy eyes, trying to stay open. We were on a highway doing 160-170 kmph. Oh it was scary, and the second time it happened, I broke a conversation with him. Talking of just anything that I could talk, with sense or no sense. Luckily he was from an Indian neighboring country so I could talk in Hindi/urdu mix normally. He was obviously sleepy at 4:30 AM. God saved us! At that speed, it would have been ???
We should really take care and pay utmost attention to the driver when in the front seat.
justwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 11:07   #6947
BHPian
 
Reisender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, USA ; Chennai India
Posts: 145
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Volvo involved with one more accident yesterday near Trichy, TN. Looks like KPN travels for me.
Incident happened as the Volvo bus rammed into the rear of parked TNSTC bus which was parked due to deflated rear tire. TNSTC bus passengers were waiting outside to catch a makeshift arrangement. Ten people got killed in this incident including Volvo bus cleaner.
Police arrested the driver of the volvo. Pic says 7 and latest victim count is 10. So sad...
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-20101024a_009101006.jpg  

Reisender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 11:42   #6948
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Volvo involved with one more accident yesterday near Trichy, TN. Looks like KPN travels for me...
It is KPN travels.

KPN volvo's are getting into quite a number of accidents lately.

Innocent people's life taken due to one mans carelessness!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 11:52   #6949
BHPian
 
KMohanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 290
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I was just going through this thread and read a few incidents (accidents) when the driver fell asleep. (Infact one was so scaring about this person driving with his pregnant wife on the front seat and dosed off, luckily she saw it and shouted. Please fellas, don't be so irresponsible, please).
Dear Justwheels, It was me who happened to sleep with my pregnant wife in the front seat. I will give you a bit more information on the incident so that you can upgrade me from 'irresponsible person' to an 'idiot'

During my graduation and post graduation, I was very much attached to my native place, family, relatives and friends there at Kochi. I was not that much bright in studies.. but since the ministry had announced that the first rank holder of that tough course will get posting wherever he want in india !! My sleepless two years made me to win the first rank in the tough competition with a clear margin of about 4% marks !!

But, unfortunately I got posted to Hyderabad. Even though I was really disappointed, I did not leave. Another unforgettable three years of effort resulted in a transfer to Kochi, my native place.

Since my first two years of sleepless studies for first rank had already made me a true hardworker, my three years in Hyderabad was really thrilling in terms of achievements to the company(government). Due to this reason, during the previous two days of my farewell, there were so many colleagues visiting my house for saying good-bye to me. We were also so overwhelmed with joy since the last five years of effort has become fruitful and we are joining back to support my poor family with only father working and having six sisters. In between all these visitors, we managed to do the packing of all items to my maruti 800 car (which was the first ever car in our family- for generations). So, the previous day night, we could not sleep well.

On the day of travel, we started at 05.00 am in the morning. Since my wife was pregnant and travelling with me, I was very careful while driving. To rule out any possibility of sleeping while driving, myself and wife engaged in (cultural) competitions etc continuously while driving. One of them was to sing the 'janaganamana' without any mistakes in the shortest possible time. This kind of talking, competitions and washing face etc continued. We were driving slowly and we were planning to reach Bangalore from Hyderabad in more than 15 hours. Even with all these precautions, my friends, the incident occured.

That is the reason why I was warning all my friends through some of my posts that one will never realise that he is sleeping while driving. Some stretch of road will not be in his memory ... that's all.

This can happen to anybody even with any efforts to prevent sleeping. The only way to prevent such incidents is to sleep well before the journey. Take breaks 'sufficient enough' during the journey also.

The continuing visits of all my loving friends during the last days was so sweet to remember for me, but had this negative aspect.

And the last piece of info, my first son (whom wife was carrying during this incident) is studying for BTech now !!! THANK GOD FOR ALL....
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:39   #6950
BHPian
 
justwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 316
Thanked: 189 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
Dear Justwheels, It was me who happened to sleep with my pregnant wife in the front seat. I will give you a bit more information on the incident so that you can upgrade me from 'irresponsible person' to an 'idiot'

During my graduation and post graduation, I was very much attached to my native place, family, relatives and friends there at Kochi. I was not that much bright in studies.. but since the ministry had announced that the first rank holder of that tough course will get posting wherever he want in india !! My sleepless two years made me to win the first rank in the tough competition with a clear margin of about 4% marks !!

But, unfortunately I got posted to Hyderabad. Even though I was really disappointed, I did not leave. Another unforgettable three years of effort resulted in a transfer to Kochi, my native place.

Since my first two years of sleepless studies for first rank had already made me a true hardworker, my three years in Hyderabad was really thrilling in terms of achievements to the company(government). Due to this reason, during the previous two days of my farewell, there were so many colleagues visiting my house for saying good-bye to me. We were also so overwhelmed with joy since the last five years of effort has become fruitful and we are joining back to support my poor family with only father working and having six sisters. In between all these visitors, we managed to do the packing of all items to my maruti 800 car (which was the first ever car in our family- for generations). So, the previous day night, we could not sleep well.

On the day of travel, we started at 05.00 am in the morning. Since my wife was pregnant and travelling with me, I was very careful while driving. To rule out any possibility of sleeping while driving, myself and wife engaged in (cultural) competitions etc continuously while driving. One of them was to sing the 'janaganamana' without any mistakes in the shortest possible time. This kind of talking, competitions and washing face etc continued. We were driving slowly and we were planning to reach Bangalore from Hyderabad in more than 15 hours. Even with all these precautions, my friends, the incident occured.

That is the reason why I was warning all my friends through some of my posts that one will never realise that he is sleeping while driving. Some stretch of road will not be in his memory ... that's all.

This can happen to anybody even with any efforts to prevent sleeping. The only way to prevent such incidents is to sleep well before the journey. Take breaks 'sufficient enough' during the journey also.

The continuing visits of all my loving friends during the last days was so sweet to remember for me, but had this negative aspect.

And the last piece of info, my first son (whom wife was carrying during this incident) is studying for BTech now !!! THANK GOD FOR ALL....
It was no offence to mention your incident in my post (the very reason why I hadn't quoted you directly though I had just read it a moment before). And your hardwork and diligence has surely given you the life probably you wanted. Kudos to your efforts. I admire the perseverance you showed. I also appreciate your efforts on that day of driving of keeping yourself from sleeping. But inspite of all this, it happened. That is what is bad about sleep, how much ever you avoid it, it does come. The same happened in my case in Dubai, how much ever I wanted the driver to be awake, we still had stints of sleeping highway drives.
And don't want to upgrade you from and "irresponsible driver" to anything but "lucky". Let your son remember never to repeat the same.
But surely, I admire your courage to post your own story. Hats Off!
justwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:47   #6951
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Volvo involved with one more accident yesterday near Trichy, TN. Looks like KPN travels for me.
Its KPN (They are the one that have the Sarvesh markings in them). KPN used to be the most reliable and safest option amongst private travels in south. Neither is not true any more. IIRC this is the 3rd KPN volvo involved in a major accident recently. One being in Bangalore - Chennai and other being Chennai - 'some southern destination'. I have been consciously avoiding KPN if i have to travel to Bangalore by road. Alternatives like sharma or ABTx seems very reliable and safe these days.
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 14:37   #6952
BHPian
 
mail2vm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : One-liners that add ZERO value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, they are considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2010 at 22:03.
mail2vm is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 24th October 2010, 16:08   #6953
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default

Kmohan, your post presents a deadly serious issue with humility and even self-deprecating humour. It was a really great piece of writing
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 20:17   #6954
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 849
Thanked: 696 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Its KPN (They are the one that have the Sarvesh markings in them). KPN used to be the most reliable and safest option amongst private travels in south. Neither is not true any more. IIRC this is the 3rd KPN volvo involved in a major accident recently. One being in Bangalore - Chennai and other being Chennai - 'some southern destination'. I have been consciously avoiding KPN if i have to travel to Bangalore by road. Alternatives like sharma or ABTx seems very reliable and safe these days.
Surprised to see people not doubting the Govt. Bus. Did the bus have its hazard lights on, was it parked outside the road or on it etc?

KPN bus could also be the culprit, but there are other possibilites. And I have to say KPN volvos have reduced their speed greatly. It took me 7.30 hours to Chennai from Madurai on a Volvo(day) and the Leyland also took the same time during the onward journey. But even the Leyland didn't seem to drive rash although he had a consistent speed.

ABTX had quite a few number of accidents on the Bangalore-Chennai route at the beginning of their operation. But I did recently travel in it to Salem and they were terribly slow.

I should say that the KPN Volvo(Multi axle) was driven superbly without any sudden acceleration or braking etc. The driver was very much aware of the size of the bus and took his time overtaking trucks etc on the way to Chennai.

It could have been one bad day for the driver of the bus and the passengers.

RIP!
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 20:32   #6955
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default

Quote:
Surprised to see people not doubting the Govt. Bus. Did the bus have its hazard lights on, was it parked outside the road or on it etc?
Even if it was in the middle of the road (assuming it wasn't just around a blind curve) it was stationary. How can it's driver be blamed?

Driver drives into stationary object: 100% driver's fault. Cannot blame the object. Driver is supposed to be alert, looking ahead, and driving at a speed which allows them to stop in case of the unexpected.

What would be good would be for proper reflective triangles to be placed on the road as warning, but I don't suppose it is going to happen.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 22:23   #6956
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,296
Thanked: 1,689 Times
Default

Quote:
from rediff.com
The accident occurred when Lenin, who was driving a Scorpio, lost balance while trying to avoid an autorickshaw which came at the wrong side of the road and hit the divider, at National Highway number nine near Jupudi under Vijayawada Police Commissionerate limits, around 1:30am leading to his instant death, police said
Former international archer Lenin Cherukuri died while his ward and Commonwealth Games silver medallist Ritul Chatterjee escaped unhurt in a road accident at Jupdi village in Vijaywada in the wee hours of Sunday.

Another victim to the idiotic act by a specimen on two legs. These creatures is to be charged with third degree murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
Dear Justwheels, It was me who happened to sleep with my pregnant wife in the front seat. I will give you a bit more information on the incident so that you can upgrade me from 'irresponsible person' to an 'idiot'

And the last piece of info, my first son (whom wife was carrying during this incident) is studying for BTech now !!! THANK GOD FOR ALL....
btb which car were you driving then?

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th October 2010 at 18:31. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 22:52   #6957
BHPian
 
MARCUS_520i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 520
Thanked: 144 Times
Default

On my way back from Pune this evening, saw a 4 car 'line-up' just a few yards away from the Expressway Mumbai exit. One of them was a grey NHC, the other two were minivans and the fourth vehicle is what I can't recollect right now!!
The NHC has taken a bad hit with reduced dimensions from both ends; another vehicle had a leaking radiator, some busted tail lamps, etc. Anyone else witnessed this?
MARCUS_520i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 23:38   #6958
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: |
Posts: 581
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
btb which car were you driving then?
he has mentioned that already . A Maruti 800. between Mohan sir, it;s very brave on your part for accepting your mistake and learning from it .

In delhi too, yesterday , a blue line bus has crushed one person under rear wheel's, apparently, the boy was alive but got under the rear wheels while driver was trying to fled with the bus from the spot .

i wish delhi has continuous CW games as this will keep bluelines off the road and traffic police on the road.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 07:29   #6959
BHPian
 
KMohanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 290
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
btb which car were you driving then?
The incident happened in october end of 1991. I was driving the Maruti 800 which was only four months old.
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 09:51   #6960
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,647
Thanked: 1,957 Times
Default

Just wanted to vent out my feeling that I'm feeling scared. Yes, I'm getting really nervous.

The roads on NH205 are being well laid using machinery & the roads are also being widened to an extend of about 4 feet on either sides. Which means, its really in GQ condition minus barricades, lane marks & medians.

Last Tuesday or Wednesday night I almost witnessed an accident where an MTC bus knocked down someone on the spot & I could see the corpse in the pool of blood. Anyway this is nothing new to me, so I just shrug off & leave the place. Two days later I hear the dead person was a cop.

Again, last Friday, I'm on the way to office & there's a huge pile of traffic jam & that too at early morning 6:30 AM which is highly unusual. What I'm seeing the reason for traffic jam is another MTC bus that has lost its front on the right side. I highly doubt if the driver has survived the accident.

Last evening, once again, I almost witness an accident where a two-wheeler hits a Fabia. Probably the moron on the two-wheeler is on wrong side as the Fabia seems to be in left extreme & the driver's door is rammed by two-wheeler & his head probably cut the glass of Fabia. What I see is the two wheeler guy sitting on the road with support & I could see his entire face & head only red in color with blood. Moron didn't wear a helmet!!!

This morning again I see a two-wheeler guy simply thrown away when riding probably his bike struck with another one. But this one happens right in front of me, anyway I was in a more than safe distance as I'd time to think & respond very well.

When the roads were in OK to bad conditions, nothing went wrong & I couldn't witness anything. But now? Everyday I'm witnessing an accident? I'm literally nervous thinking what might happen to me next. I'm beginning to think that these are simply forewarnings before I get involved in an accident. I know its absurd to consider this, but still, my mind refuses to think positively.

Last edited by aargee : 25th October 2010 at 09:54.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks