Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 13:36   #7006
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudum Chennai
Posts: 78
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I agree. I started from Chennai on sunday evening to avoid being held-up by the cyclone Jal and hated the decision. The last three toll's from Chennai saw 2km queues, with the Krishnagiri toll being the worst. The queue was even diverted to the opposite lane (3 lanes), only for the ever-impatient hog the complete road and cut in-between.
Even i did the same CHENNAI-BANGALORE route on Sunday but started from chennai by 12:30 PM and reached home@Bangalore by 6:45 PM amidst continuous rain for all the 6+ hours. I were able to beat the rush till Krishnagiri. In the Krishnagiri toll i saw a 1 KM queue and a bus taking a detour on the wrong-side of the road. I thought they have probably opened the toll on the other side as well to ease the pile-up and hence followed the bus but to my dismay the bus took a turn towards Krishnagiri before the toll . With no other option left to me, i had to barge in-to the piled-up traffic at the next intersection before the toll. I felt very bad about doing this and not the least because i am setting a bad example of team-bhp!!
The stretch between Krishagiri-Bangalore was heavy with traffic and i saw 2 minor accidents where a Bolero has kissed the back of a Ritz causing a big dent and another taxi-wala knocking down some drunkard without causing any big injury near the Karnataka entrance toll.
At the end, we were happy that we decided not-to-stop anywhere before reaching Bangalore. The maximum time we spent on a toll was at Krishnagiri and was about 25 minutes.
n_mouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 13:48   #7007
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,427
Thanked: 6,375 Times
Default

This thread is an eye opener !

My two cents.

When you feel sleepy, stop your car in a well lit area preferably a junction where you have open shops or frequent people movement. Last two time I drove to my native from Bangalore, I was alone and I was feeling way too sleepy after extended working hours. I stopped at such places and took a light nap for 30 mins - 1 hour and then resumed my journey. There is nothing weird about that! End of the day safety holds a better rating than the "hunk" image I want to maintain by taking long drives [10 hours / 600kms] with short breaks.

Then I had this real scary incident last week when I was coming to Bangalore. I took the Kumily - Theni - Salem route and after Theni, @ 10 PM, I see a small truck coming with the lights on!

Everything is well and good, he is in his lane, I am in mine and there is no median in between. Then I realize a steady progression of this mini-truck to my side and not very slow as well. Initially I thought he was negotiating some pot holes, so didn't reduce my speed as well [which was just around 50kmph] And in split second i realise the truck is coming straight at me ! I honk and swerve to left and get off the road to a decent space in front of a shop ! I could hear my heart beats for some time ! And I was driving my dad's brand new Wagon R !

I guess the truck guy was sleeping and once I jumped off the road, he managed to get into his track and drove away !
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 14:04   #7008
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,652
Thanked: 1,381 Times
Default

A few images from a recent trip from Salangpur ( a famous Hanuman temple ). There was a T junction and the Ikon turned in too late. You will notice that there are turn marks on the wall, but there are useless poster are stuck on the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-1.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-2.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-3.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-4.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-5.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-6.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-7.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-8.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-9.jpg  

Attached Images
 
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 14:46   #7009
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,452
Thanked: 3,575 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
A few images from a recent trip from Salangpur ( a famous Hanuman temple ). There was a T junction and the Ikon turned in too late. You will notice that there are turn marks on the wall, but there are useless poster are stuck on the wall.
either that or the Ikon swerved left to avoid an oncoming vehicle. the position of the Ikon is intriguing - its almost perpendicular to the wall! the dried blood on the passenger door is a gruesome reminder of the reality of the accident.

btw, i can see the photographer in the reflection!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 9th November 2010 at 14:47.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:10   #7010
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 197
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I agree. I started from Chennai on sunday evening to avoid being held-up by the cyclone Jal and hated the decision. The last three toll's from Chennai saw 2km queues, with the Krishnagiri toll being the worst. The queue was even diverted to the opposite lane (3 lanes), only for the ever-impatient hog the complete road and cut in-between.

I was even considering making an overnight stay at Krishnagiri, but decided against it. What surprised me was that almost 70% of the drivers were overspeeding and cutting across lanes, with no regards to themselves, others, rains and low visibility. We reached home, safely by 11PM.

With the demand -supply mismatch on bus tickets and train tickets between Chennai - Bangalore, this was waiting to happen.

This is highway is close to 5 years old. Hope soon there is some plan of adding lanes or, even upgrading Chittor route to 4 lane as backup.

Cheers,
Jagan
jagan0677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 16:56   #7011
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,645
Thanked: 1,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_mouli View Post
and another taxi-wala knocking down some drunkard without causing any big injury near the Karnataka entrance toll.
I guess that taxi was behind BHPian 'aargee'. He mentioned the same a while back.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 17:34   #7012
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore<---->Chennai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
With the demand -supply mismatch on bus tickets and train tickets between Chennai - Bangalore, this was waiting to happen.

This is highway is close to 5 years old. Hope soon there is some plan of adding lanes or, even upgrading Chittor route to 4 lane as backup.

Cheers,
Jagan

Hi Jagan,

The Chitoor route is already being made a 4 lane. The 4-laning work is complete almost till Mulbagal. The worst part on that stretch are the roads near Walajapet/Ranipet just before it joins NH-47
Zoomsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 21:29   #7013
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomsun View Post
Hi Jagan,

The Chitoor route is already being made a 4 lane. The 4-laning work is complete almost till Mulbagal. The worst part on that stretch are the roads near Walajapet/Ranipet just before it joins NH-47

For the sake of information, though seriously off-topic... Four laning is only uptil Mulbagal. This is being done by the Karnataka Government.

Walajah/Ranipet conditions used to be good. Are you talking about the road condition or the traffic? As soon as you exit Ranipet, take the right (which is Ranipet bypass) and join the GQ. Its easier that way.

For all those who drive from/to Chennai or the South of TN, Kerala from/to Bangalore, here's a piece of advice.

Never ever get back to Bangalore on a Sunday evening especially if its a long weekend. If you have to then:

For Chennai folks its better to use the Chittoor route as its shorter by 25 kms and though its two lane, you will not waste your time at Toll plazas.

For those driving from Salem, take the Palakodu, Rayakottai route from the outskirts of Dharmapuri. This road is in good condition (atleast till before the rains) and will join near Hosur. If you can actually take the way through Denkinikottai you will end up at Attibele junction and totally miss three of the tolls (Thoppur, Krishnagiri and Attibele). Again this route is shorter but two lane.

The traffic in these routes are very less these days as most vehicles take the GQ or NSEW corridors.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 22:58   #7014
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,433
Thanked: 3,999 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
A few images from a recent trip from Salangpur ( a famous Hanuman temple ). There was a T junction and the Ikon turned in too late. You will notice that there are turn marks on the wall, but there are useless poster are stuck on the wall.
With the windshield broken, I'm sure the passenger was not wearing a seat belt. A typical example where seat belts would have saved the day!.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 02:07   #7015
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 248
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Shiradi Ghat - Known for Accidents.

As I was travelling back from Mangalore to Bangalore on my NE. Shocked to see these in the Ghats of Shiradi. Although people are used to these kind of scenes which is normal as according to them, because they get to see a minimum of 3-4 accidents on a daily basis in this locality. These were 2 different accidents, which I found
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-13092010038.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-13092010039.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-13092010046.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-13092010047.jpg  

GreenDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 08:39   #7016
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 546
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

All three vehicles seems in awkward position. Difficult to understand that how it cloud happened?
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 10:04   #7017
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,081
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
All three vehicles seems in awkward position. Difficult to understand that how it cloud happened?
first one seems to be a skid of sorts.
second one, look at the second picture, he's coming out of a turn, and seems to have overshot the non-existent curb onto the vegetation and dirt ahead, hiding either a drop or slush.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 10:37   #7018
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TVM, BLR, HYD
Posts: 581
Thanked: 753 Times
Default

Thought of avoiding the pics, but posting as i believe strongly that this thread is an eye opener of sorts.

Pictures from a single trip, Blr-hyd-blr over the diwali weekend. Did find few more accidents but then was too depressing to stop to take pics, praying that such things do not happen ever.

Unable to edit the pics anymore, so posting comments.

The innova was supposedly driven by "ladies" (the singular used by indians for referring to a lady driver) & the truck was on the extreme right of the wrong side as there was a deviation on the highway. Innova seems to have ignored and rammed it. Kids and ladies in the car did get injured per the truck guys and they were posing thinking i am some press photographer !! Truck guy was repeatedly telling me that "I did not do anything wrong Saaar" and will this pic be published in papers !!!!

The APSRTC - accent accident is obvious and assuming the RTC buses would stop even if you are doing right would be stupid, please be careful on highways and don't take risks, let the ones who are in a hurry go first.

Volvo spotted near Hindupur area i guess, could not stop for a better picture as there were too many locals trying to ask for a lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-img_7166.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img_7179.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img_7180.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img_7181.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img_7183.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img_7184.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img_7189.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img_7190.jpg  


Last edited by sunishsamuel : 10th November 2010 at 10:48. Reason: adding comments
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 11:26   #7019
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,452
Thanked: 3,575 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Thought of avoiding the pics, but posting as i believe strongly that this thread is an eye opener of sorts.

Pictures from a single trip, Blr-hyd-blr over the diwali weekend. Did find few more accidents but then was too depressing to stop to take pics, praying that such things do not happen ever.

Unable to edit the pics anymore, so posting comments.

The innova was supposedly driven by "ladies" (the singular used by indians for referring to a lady driver) & the truck was on the extreme right of the wrong side as there was a deviation on the highway. Innova seems to have ignored and rammed it. Kids and ladies in the car did get injured per the truck guys and they were posing thinking i am some press photographer !! Truck guy was repeatedly telling me that "I did not do anything wrong Saaar" and will this pic be published in papers !!!!

The APSRTC - accent accident is obvious and assuming the RTC buses would stop even if you are doing right would be stupid, please be careful on highways and don't take risks, let the ones who are in a hurry go first.

Volvo spotted near Hindupur area i guess, could not stop for a better picture as there were too many locals trying to ask for a lift.
the Innova and Accent Viva look totalled! the window on the Volvo is broken, was it a rear-ending?
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 12:09   #7020
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Saw a XYLO badly damaged on Hosur Road, between Bommanahalli and GarvePalya. It was facing the opposite direction (towards Madivala).
Looked like it was coming on the service road fast and ran onto the median.
Couldn't stop to take PICs as there was already a lot of vehicles around.
Anyone has more details?
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks