Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 21:01   #9601
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,099
Thanked: 3,404 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul

I smell a scam here - if the TD customer has to pay, then what about Insurance claim? No car can be on the road un-insured. I can understand the customer paying the overheads not covered under Insurance (depreciation etc). Then in the case it is not the customers fault, the 3rd party that crashed into the vehicle can cover with his insurance.

Are the dealers making a fast buck here?

--Ragul
I recall that td cars are declared and insured as such,ie,that xxxx is a td vehicle.
I think the form you have mentioned is indemnity.
I don't think they can legally ask a customer to pay for damages.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 23:17   #9602
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,474
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I recall that td cars are declared and insured as such,ie,that xxxx is a td vehicle.
I think the form you have mentioned is indemnity.
I don't think they can legally ask a customer to pay for damages.
Can you explain what that means?

I told the SA I am not signing it. And that time we were sure of booking both the Jetta and the Vento. But he made it very clear that without it we can't TD and we are free to try elsewhere. Although I don't think myself that such a document will hold in the court of law as they don't even verify your signature. You can scribble anything and they are ok with it.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 23:57   #9603
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,099
Thanked: 3,404 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg

Can you explain what that means?

I told the SA I am not signing it. And that time we were sure of booking both the Jetta and the Vento. But he made it very clear that without it we can't TD and we are free to try elsewhere. Although I don't think myself that such a document will hold in the court of law as they don't even verify your signature. You can scribble anything and they are ok with it.
this was from a couple.of td s I took a few months back.
4 actually.
I didn't sign a single chit.
And some discussions here I fished out after your query:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sured-not.html (Are new cars given for Test Drive from Showrooms insured or not?)

I mean,then what's that ad about "test it like you own it"?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 01:23   #9604
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Hey mayankk,

It does seem funny to me as well but only now. I do not know how old you are but those were the days when bombs had exploded in the recent past all over the city and Dilli used to be a dead place by 8~8.30 pm and this was in winters when the Sun sets by 5.30 and roads would be deserted in the late evenings. The extended families with their tiffins & picnic baskets had vanished from the lawns of Rajpath and every unclaimed object anywhere was supposedly a bomb and you could actually drive on city roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I recall that td cars are declared and insured as such,ie,that xxxx is a td vehicle.
I think the form you have mentioned is indemnity.
I don't think they can legally ask a customer to pay for damages.
The above is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Can you explain what that means?:eek
One basically bears responsibility for self in case one is involved in an accident and gets hurt or moves on. The dealership cannot be held liable to pay any damages. That is what the thinking is behind that little piece of paper. Whether that will actually have any standing in a court of law is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I mean,then what's that ad about "test it like you own it"?
They are smart alecs. You would not drive your car in any which way that might damage/destroy it and that is exactly what they mean even though the advert shows differently. Reverse psychology at work.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 09:51   #9605
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,099
Thanked: 3,404 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hey mayankk,

It does seem funny to me as well but only now. I do not know how old you are but those were the days when bombs had exploded in the recent past all over the city and Dilli used to be a dead place by 8~8.30 pm and this was in winters when the Sun sets by 5.30 and roads would be deserted in the late evenings. The extended families with their tiffins & picnic baskets had vanished from the lawns of Rajpath and every unclaimed object anywhere was supposedly a bomb and you could actually drive on city roads.
2000-01?
I was a wee lad running around a screaming rx100...
I thought for a moment you were talking you were referring to the time when Mr India came out.
Good ballpark on the age, eh?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:10   #9606
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 474
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Head-on collision between a truck and Tata Ace results in 2 deaths on spot!

Bhatkal : Tata Ace-Truck Accident - Two from Moodbidri Die on Spot

Name:  acc.jpg
Views: 12677
Size:  119.0 KB

News and pic credits: daijiworld
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:29   #9607
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 474
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

A KSRTC bus collided head-on with a Maruti Omni, killing six passengers in the van

Mandya: KSRTC-Omni Collision - Six Killed on Spot, One Critical

Name:  acc.jpg
Views: 5200
Size:  73.4 KB


News and pics credit: daijiworld
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:29   #9608
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,550
Thanked: 790 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Check out this article :

Article Window

The educated driver died of head and chest injuries after his crash. Something that perhaps could have been avoided had he been wearing seat belts.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:56   #9609
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,151
Thanked: 1,608 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
There is a technique, which I always follow which is to keep the left leg tucked back near the seat, until you are so completely and utterly adjusted to driving an AT that you might forget to use the clutch in a manual!
Since I keep alternating between the MT Baleno/Swift and the AT A-Star, what I do is keep my left foot firmly planted (as it would be when clutch is fully pressed) at the place where the C-pedal would have been. My problem is the left hand - I occasionally try to shift gears on the AT-stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
The educated driver died of head and chest injuries after his crash. Something that perhaps could have been avoided had he been wearing seat belts.
A couple I know hit another car in their M800. The driver was belted up and escaped with almost no injuries, while his wife who was seated in front passenger seat (not belted) suffered serious injuries (head / face) - mostly due to hitting the windshield. I used to insist only on front-seatbelts, but after the Ford DSFL programme last Sunday, the importance of belting up in the rear was very clear. Especially when you have kids sitting/standing in the rear-middle seat - the video showed a kid flying straight through the front windshield when her Dad braked hard.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th October 2011 at 12:58.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 13:06   #9610
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I used to insist only on front-seatbelts, but after the Ford DSFL programme last Sunday, the importance of belting up in the rear was very clear. Especially when you have kids sitting/standing in the rear-middle seat - the video showed a kid flying straight through the front windshield when her Dad braked hard.
Thanks for bringing this up This is why there are casualties in bus accidents .The bus bodies are intact ,but passenger bodies would be lying around .

Anything/anyone that is not belted or secure in a vehicle is at risk for themselves as well as for others who have their belts on .

But our smart people would say " in city ...dont need belts " ,but most people I have heard say is " Not compulsory for rear seat passengers/ Not compulsory in our city "
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 13:22   #9611
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,151
Thanked: 1,608 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

^^^
@speedsatya, that brings up another apprehension I am having since last June when my 4-year old son started school. The school-bus is new and all, but does not have seat-belts and it worries me no end, since he is too small to handle the sudden brake/acceleration of the bus. This is in a small town in Kerala, but I don't see belts in buses here in Chennai either. Anyone knows school-buses (specific models) that come with seat-belts ?

BTW, I tried the office cab (Tempo Traveller) for a few days, but gave up and returned to my car, mainly because it did not have seat-belts and you know how the cabbies race in Chennai. Most people initially resist using belts, but once you start using it, you can never drive without it.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 15:24   #9612
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,792
Thanked: 7,115 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Check out this article :

Article Window

The educated driver died of head and chest injuries after his crash. Something that perhaps could have been avoided had he been wearing seat belts.
If the damage goes beyond what the crumple zones can absorb, and the wheel is rammed into the driver's chest, seat belts won't help. Otherwise... yes indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
My problem is the left hand - I occasionally try to shift gears on the AT-stick.
Neither of my ATs were very good at doing 0-30MPH, the AT seeming to soak up too much of the power ... so I did quite a lot of "clutchless gear changing" anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 15:30   #9613
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,640
Thanked: 6,636 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^
@speedsatya, that brings up another apprehension I am having since last June when my 4-year old son started school. The school-bus is new and all, but does not have seat-belts and it worries me no end, since he is too small to handle the sudden brake/acceleration of the bus. This is in a small town in Kerala, but I don't see belts in buses here in Chennai either. Anyone knows school-buses (specific models) that come with seat-belts ?

BTW, I tried the office cab (Tempo Traveller) for a few days, but gave up and returned to my car, mainly because it did not have seat-belts and you know how the cabbies race in Chennai. Most people initially resist using belts, but once you start using it, you can never drive without it.
Seat belts can cause sever injury to children. Never use a seat belt on a small child.

Children need to be in an age/weight appropriate car seat.

Unfortunately buses and public transport do not provide such a system.
But even in our please remember that seatbelts carry a risk of significant injury for children.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 17:15   #9614
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,792
Thanked: 7,115 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Children should never travel in a car without being properly restrained --- and that does not include an adult's arm.

But what can we say? When (here at least; it is not enforced at all) the majority of adults do not consider seatbelts, or the reasons for them, how likely are they to think of the children?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 20:05   #9615
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Children should never travel in a car without being properly restrained --- and that does not include an adult's arm.

But what can we say? When (here at least; it is not enforced at all) the majority of adults do not consider seatbelts, or the reasons for them, how likely are they to think of the children?
+1 to that. I have seen people (Parents) encourage 2 kids on the front seat (In many 10+ lakh vehicles), wrestling each other and causing distraction. When educated parents do this, i have no comments on not-so-educated parents.



Oh yes !! did i forget to mention that the kids on the front seat where not wearing seat belts.
scopriobharath is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks