Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 09:22   #10306
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Accident near Trivandrum. Driver is dead and 4 others in critical stage.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120204_092202.png
Views: 5691
Size:  250.8 KB
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 13:24   #10307
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 1,396 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Accident near Trivandrum. Driver is dead and 4 others in critical stage.

Attachment 882264
why doesnt govt ban maruti from manufacturing these tin box vans?

atleast maruti should themselves stop these omnis by thinking about social responsibilities.
amit_mechengg is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 15:56   #10308
Senior - BHPian
 
Anand123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 1,905
Thanked: 2,522 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
why doesnt govt ban maruti from manufacturing these tin box vans?

atleast maruti should themselves stop these omnis by thinking about social responsibilities.
Agree with you; But I don't think they'll kill a duck laying golden eggs!
Anand123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 18:02   #10309
BHPian
 
RIC.BURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 102 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
why doesnt govt ban maruti from manufacturing these tin box vans?

atleast maruti should themselves stop these omnis by thinking about social responsibilities.
IMHO its more to do with the responsibilities of the driver to understand the limitations of the vehicle one drives. I have seen omni's driven in rash manner as if they are driving a safe vehicle, so i would blame on the driver.

if Maruti has to stop producing Omni then Tata has to stop ace/venture and even nano, any manufacturers with mini vans.

Last edited by RIC.BURNS : 4th February 2012 at 18:04.
RIC.BURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 19:11   #10310
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,545
Thanked: 919 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
if Maruti has to stop producing Omni then Tata has to stop ace/venture and even nano, any manufacturers with mini vans.
Why Nano? It has passed some European crash tests.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 19:58   #10311
BHPian
 
RIC.BURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 102 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Why Nano? It has passed some European crash tests.
I guess that is a different European version with airbag. IMO still it doesn't stand a chance against a heavy/midsize vehicles if it is driven rashly.

We are hijacking the thread, we can discuss this in some other threads.
RIC.BURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 22:21   #10312
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 1,396 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
IMHO its more to do with the responsibilities of the driver to understand the limitations of the vehicle one drives. I have seen omni's driven in rash manner as if they are driving a safe vehicle, so i would blame on the driver.

if Maruti has to stop producing Omni then Tata has to stop ace/venture and even nano, any manufacturers with mini vans.
the responsibilities of driver hold true to each and every car.
but sometimes other vehicles come and bang you, even if you try to avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
I guess that is a different European version with airbag. IMO still it doesn't stand a chance against a heavy/midsize vehicles if it is driven rashly.

We are hijacking the thread, we can discuss this in some other threads.

mostly none of the cars like maruti 800, alto, nano, honda city will withstand the heavy/midsize vehicle crash.

if you carefully see the build of omni, its outdated design. new vans, nano etc use high tensile strength sheet metal along with corrugations and beams etc.

sadly omni misses it.

ARAI has certified tata venture and other vehicles after they have passed the minimum roll over, crash tests.

omni has got approval decades back when ARAI dint even had its proper presence.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 22:33   #10313
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 29
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
It was i who braked hard and swerved in the last sec avoiding the oncoming truck by inches, the truck didn't even try braking, if he did, there would be a chain collision as there were two more trucks tailgating him at 70kph on downhill slope! My mind was so numb i just couldn't react in any way, only noticed that the last truck had a punjab registered number....

Behind me there was an indica and another SUV (i had just overtook them) who braked hard too!
Right. The ORR is a very good road. But these trucks which come the wrong way is a real killer and has caused many accidents in the past. I am a regular user of the ORR. These are trucks used to transport construction material across the ORR. Another bad thing about this road is the divider. It is broad. But it is very low that most vehicles can crossover easily. And drivers on this road(specially new users) use this road for testing the limits of their vehicles. The entire stretch is being fenced to prevent people, cattle and stray animals to cause accidents. But I have seen stupids climbing over the 8 feet fence and crossing the road!!! And in some places, the fence has been cut by the locals.
bisasa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 15:19   #10314
BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 993
Thanked: 1,367 Times
Unhappy re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
mostly none of the cars like maruti 800, alto, nano, honda city will withstand the heavy/midsize vehicle crash.
Sorry for going OT but why did you include Honda city?
Are you comparing crash worthiness of a vehicle with how strong the panels are? I think its how it dissipates the energy of the impact and most of the new cars are designed with this in mind.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 18:05   #10315
Senior - BHPian
 
rohanjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 683 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

I saw this accident at the signal near Maharaja hotel today evening. Looked like the Alto was trying to take a right by going over the tipper's left, and the tipper driver did not notice. So he hit the Alto and the car turned more and stood at right angles to the road. All the impact was taken by the rear right door, and the driver's window glass was intact.

Also, I saw a big hole in the left rear tyre's sidewall, with the rubber tube coming out! Another recipe for disaster. (I clicked a photo, but it got deleted accidentally :( ).
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-clipboard01.jpg  

rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 19:24   #10316
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,505
Thanked: 3,522 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

saw these two accidents on the way to work today:

1. u-turn gone bad:
Name:  _MG_3930.JPG
Views: 4410
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  _MG_3931.JPG
Views: 4378
Size:  143.0 KB

Name:  _MG_3932.JPG
Views: 4331
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  _MG_3933.JPG
Views: 4338
Size:  103.5 KB


2. rear ending:

Name:  _MG_3939.JPG
Views: 4344
Size:  144.2 KB

Name:  _MG_3940.JPG
Views: 4295
Size:  109.4 KB
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 19:59   #10317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 29
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Tata truck smashed in NORR, Hyderabad.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-20120206-09.29.38.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-20120206-09.28.25.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-20120206-09.28.20.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-1.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-20120206-09.27.49.jpg  

bisasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 21:45   #10318
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 827
Thanked: 113 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
It was i who braked hard and swerved in the last sec avoiding the oncoming truck by inches, the truck didn't even try braking, if he did, there would be a chain collision as there were two more trucks tailgating him at 70kph on downhill slope! My mind was so numb i just couldn't react in any way, only noticed that the last truck had a punjab registered number....

Behind me there was an indica and another SUV (i had just overtook them) who braked hard too!
Swerved in which direction? Where was the space? I am sorry but your post is not making much sense in terms of understanding how you and the others behind extricated yourself(s).
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 23:11   #10319
BHPian
 
paliontile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 70
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Swerved in which direction? Where was the space? I am sorry but your post is not making much sense in terms of understanding how you and the others behind extricated yourself(s).
Braked and waited till i had some place to squeeze in behind the slow moving trucks to my left and then swerved left i suppose, it was all so sudden that i myself dnt remember this in any graphic detail. The ones coming behind me are in the lane to my left and haven't yet moved over to the fast lane. They had at least a second or two more than me to brake i suppose.

And the aim of the post was to actually describe how dangerous these trucks driving in the wrong direction can be, not to describe an action sequence in an upcoming flick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisasa View Post
Tata truck smashed in NORR, Hyderabad.
Remember seeing this today morning, but was zipping by and i thought it was a truck and a tata-ace head on collision, now i noticed.

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th February 2012 at 12:11. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
paliontile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 00:55   #10320
BHPian
 
RIC.BURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 102 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisasa View Post
Tata truck smashed in NORR, Hyderabad.
How desperate is the camerman for a piece of news, standing with the tripod on the other lane?
RIC.BURNS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks