Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 23:59   #11101
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

^Very sad. Why didn't the transport guys call a fire-brigade?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 11:11   #11102
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,077
Thanked: 2,028 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Off topic : What about the burnt i10s now? Are they insured? Will the dealer lose anything? If yes, who will pay for his loss?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 11:18   #11103
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,619
Thanked: 6,134 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^Very sad. Why didn't the transport guys call a fire-brigade?
This was clicked on the Solapur-Bijapur highway. There are hardly any settlements along this route, let alone a fire station. I am sure if one had left from Bijapur (closer to the accident spot), it wouldn't have made it in time to help contain the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Off topic : What about the burnt i10s now? Are they insured? Will the dealer lose anything? If yes, who will pay for his loss?
All cars in transit are on transit insurance. I am sure whoever is at loss will be compensated by their insurance company.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 11:51   #11104
Senior - BHPian
 
rohanjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 683 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

I saw 3 accidents today.
1. Near Yamare village, a biker with an old lady behind him wanted to join the main road, but failed to look on both sides. A moped guy was coming on the wrong side and they collided. Poor old lady fell off the bike. Luckily she got back on her feet.

2. A cement mixer truck crashed into a light pole on the median of Sarjapur road, right in front of Springfields. Seemed like a low speed crash, as the pole did not come down crashing.

3. An auto rickshaw tried to take a U turn from the leftmost lane by turning LEFT at Doddakannelli and crashed into a scooter trying to overtake from left. Wonder who is at greater fault!
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 17:28   #11105
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,135
Thanked: 359 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Has been a bad month for cars in my family.

On 6th May, while driving back from D'Dun to Delhi my dad's OHC Vtec was rear-ended by a Maruti 800 with a front bullbar near Muradnagar. It was a case of emergency braking where I probably missed the car in front by a few cms if not mms and the car behind rammed in. End result broken bumper and the boot wont close (I opened it to check damage and it wouldn't close back). Damage to the other car, the the bull bar went in towards the engine cabin and damaged something. It immediately started making a lot of noise - the kind you get when one of the belts is loose. Luckily, the 3 guys inside weren't typical UP goons and matter was resolved with them paying up Rs 2500. Total expenditure Rs 6000.

2 days ago, while turning from Mathura Road towards Nehru place, a Audi Q5 rear ended my WagonR. Again, truck stopped. I was quite close to the truck, I braked hard and the Q5 rear-ended me and some biker rear-ended him. It belonged to some Audi dealership and was being driven by the company driver with another executive on board. Result minor crack in the bumper and hanging loose, and minor cracks in tail light. When I told that executive that it was his driver's fault for rear-ending me, he was like "I will get you car fixed, you get mine"!!! Unfortunately/fortunately, I didn't had time to argue with him as i was getting late for a visa appointment. Exchanged business cards and went our way.

Today morning I notice that there was a 10 inch crack on my front windscreen at top left corner. It wasn't there yesterday and I have no idea how it happened. Can't see any trace of a hit either. How safe is it to drive around like that?
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 07:28   #11106
BHPian
 
DevilsDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bombay/Bangkok
Posts: 84
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Has been a bad month for cars in my family.

Can't see any trace of a hit either. How safe is it to drive around like that?
Hi,

It's sad to hear that both your cars got rear ended within a few days gap. I know the feeling when you really need the car everyday, and cannot get it fixed due to lack of time. Hope everyone was safe in the car.

After reading your post, I would like to make a suggestion, from what I understand is that you drive too close to the vehicle in front of you (tail- gating). This would be the reason that you have to brake in emergency and end up stopping just a few mm away from the vehicle ahead. Not everyone has quick responses like yours and hence, the cause of the accidents. I would advice you keep some distance between your car and the vehicle ahead of you, this may save you from emergency braking. And you can gradually decrease your speed if need be, so that the person driving behind you has adequate time to react.

I know that people have the tendency to tail-gate when in a hurry. But the safety of ourselves and our vehicles lies in our own hands.

Drive safe..Cheers!!
DevilsDoggie is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 08:39   #11107
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,135
Thanked: 359 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post
Hi,

It's sad to hear that both your cars got rear ended within a few days gap. I know the feeling when you really need the car everyday, and cannot get it fixed due to lack of time. Hope everyone was safe in the car.

After reading your post, I would like to make a suggestion, from what I understand is that you drive too close to the vehicle in front of you (tail- gating). This would be the reason that you have to brake in emergency and end up stopping just a few mm away from the vehicle ahead. Not everyone has quick responses like yours and hence, the cause of the accidents. I would advice you keep some distance between your car and the vehicle ahead of you, this may save you from emergency braking. And you can gradually decrease your speed if need be, so that the person driving behind you has adequate time to react.

I know that people have the tendency to tail-gate when in a hurry. But the safety of ourselves and our vehicles lies in our own hands.

Drive safe..Cheers!!
You are right about that. I realized it too. I need to find a balance between keeping just enough gap so as to give myself decent room and so that no one else can barge in between (the reason how I got into this habit of tail-gating!).
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:11   #11108
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,077
Thanked: 2,028 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
On 6th May, while driving back from D'Dun to Delhi my dad's OHC Vtec was rear-ended by a Maruti 800 with a front bullbar near Muradnagar. It was a case of emergency braking where I probably missed the car in front by a few cms if not mms and the car behind rammed in. End result broken bumper and the boot wont close (I opened it to check damage and it wouldn't close back). Damage to the other car, the the bull bar went in towards the engine cabin and damaged something. It immediately started making a lot of noise - the kind you get when one of the belts is loose. Luckily, the 3 guys inside weren't typical UP goons and matter was resolved with them paying up Rs 2500. Total expenditure Rs 6000.
But why did you pay? It is the insurance company's job.

Even if you wanted to solve matters then and there, the maruti guy rear ended you. How is it your fault? You had braked for a reason, there was another car in front of you. If the 800 cant stop in time, why dint he keep a safe distance between his and your's car? It is totally his fault and not your's. If anything, he owes you money and not vice versa.

Quote:
2 days ago, while turning from Mathura Road towards Nehru place, a Audi Q5 rear ended my WagonR. Again, truck stopped. I was quite close to the truck, I braked hard and the Q5 rear-ended me and some biker rear-ended him. It belonged to some Audi dealership and was being driven by the company driver with another executive on board. Result minor crack in the bumper and hanging loose, and minor cracks in tail light. When I told that executive that it was his driver's fault for rear-ending me, he was like "I will get you car fixed, you get mine"!!! Unfortunately/fortunately, I didn't had time to argue with him as i was getting late for a visa appointment. Exchanged business cards and went our way.
Sorry to say, but you are being an easy bait. If I was in your place, I would have made his life hell for saying that, especially knowing that he is not the owner and just a sales executive...
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:23   #11109
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 590
Thanked: 648 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Another tragedy on Delhi roads:

Name:  Scorp.jpg
Views: 7115
Size:  60.4 KB

The 25-year-old son of an assistant commissioner of police was killed on Wednesday night after his speeding Scorpio hit a divider while overtaking a truck and overturned almost opposite the DCP's offic e in Ashok Vihar, northwest Delhi. Five of his friends were injured, police said.

According to witnesses, the driver of the Scorpio lost control while trying to overtake a truck. The SUV first hit the central divider and flipped in the air, then crashed into the streetlight pole next to the divider and overturned. "I was at my shop around 10.30pm when I heard this loud noise and saw the speeding SUV scrape through the road. It was almost mangled," said an owner of a food stall in the area.

Source: Cop’s son dies in SUV crash, 5 hurt - The Times of India


- Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:34   #11110
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,135
Thanked: 359 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
But why did you pay? It is the insurance company's job.

Even if you wanted to solve matters then and there, the maruti guy rear ended you. How is it your fault? You had braked for a reason, there was another car in front of you. If the 800 cant stop in time, why dint he keep a safe distance between his and your's car? It is totally his fault and not your's. If anything, he owes you money and not vice versa.



Sorry to say, but you are being an easy bait. If I was in your place, I would have made his life hell for saying that, especially knowing that he is not the owner and just a sales executive...
Not sure if you understood me or I understood you. They paid us 2500. Dad paid 3500 more out of his pocket to get it fixed at a local workshop. Going through insurance to replace a plastic part would have costed more plus losing 40% NCB next time around.

2nd case, like I said, I was getting late for a visa appointment. Damage didn't seem big enough (at most 200-300 bucks at a local garage) to miss a visa appointment.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 01:30   #11111
Senior - BHPian
 
carwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bardez, Goa
Posts: 1,185
Thanked: 997 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Spotted today while coming back from office. This circle (near Merces) just before Panaji is bit trickier for heavy vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-img01070201205181902.jpg  

carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 13:40   #11112
BHPian
 
a_myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Goa
Posts: 95
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Spotted today while coming back from office. This circle (near Merces) just before Panaji is bit trickier for heavy vehicles.
This is a 90 degree turn, and the worst part is due to faulty road engineering, the road is banked sharply towards the outer edges. I can the tyres loosing traction everytime i take this turn at a slight high speed in a car. If i am not mistaken, this is a second such accident at the very same spot within a month. A truck had landed on the same spot in the same position last time.
a_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 13:47   #11113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,790
Thanked: 7,112 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Confused.

Quote:
This is a 90 degree turn, and the worst part is due to faulty road engineering, the road is banked sharply towards the outer edges.
Roads are usually banked towards the outside of a curve.
Quote:
I can the tyres loosing traction everytime i take this turn at a slight high speed in a car.
If a driver takes a turn too fast, something bad will happen. Driver fault, not road fault.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 14:40   #11114
BHPian
 
M5_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Noida
Posts: 99
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Confused.

Roads are usually banked towards the outside of a curve.

If a driver takes a turn too fast, something bad will happen. Driver fault, not road fault.
Roads should be and must be banked towards the inside of the curve. Banking towards outside of the curve can create a lot of problems even at moderate turning speed. The higher the vehicle, the more likely it shall be affected by incorrect banking of the road.
M5_fan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 15:04   #11115
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Confused.


Roads are usually banked towards the outside of a curve.

If a driver takes a turn too fast, something bad will happen. Driver fault, not road fault.
No, this point itself is faulty. And a slight correction, roads are usually banked towards the inside of a curve, not outside. There are 2 reasons for this.

1. To counter the centrifugal force generated by the vehicle while taking the turn that tends to throw it towards the outside of the curve. The bank angle creates a momentum that cancels this out.

2. If a road is level at a turn, the forces acting on the car are its own weight, pulling the car downward, and the normal force N generated due to the road (Newton's 3rd law), which pushes the car upward. Both these forces act in a vertical direction and there is no horizontal component. Thus there is no friction, and hence there is no force that can generate a centripetal force that can make the car move in a circular path. Hence the car cannot turn, unless it is moving very slowly.

Now if the road is banked, the normal force, which is always perpendicular to the road's surface, is no longer vertical. It now has a horizontal component that can generate the centripetal force required to make the car turn. The angle of elevation and the speed at which the car turns determines this force, and hence it is critical not to overspeed at a turn since the force generated might not be enough and the car can go off the road.

A very illustrative example is Nascar, where the roads are highly elevated at the turns since the speed of the cars is quite high.

PS. Sorry if the above is OT, but I have experienced the fault at this point myself (which is shown in the accident pic above), and reading the posts, just remembered all of this from my preliminary physics class, and could not control blabbering all of it out. Hope it helps a few people to understand the concept a little better. Drive safe!!
swarnava.m is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks