Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2012, 13:24   #11266
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 9,216 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Thats a hell of an accident. May their souls rest in peace. Just for every ones opinion, toyota cars are reliable but how good are they in safety front as i have seen few innova crashes with fatalities.
Time and again on this thread we have had enough debates on the safety aspects of a car and the "Build quality" that a car can have to save lives in case of accidents. Let us simply not waste time talking about Brand A being safer than Brand B under similar circumstances.

In cases like these, there is simply NO CHANCE for survival. The stretch where this happened is super fast and will entertain any irresponsible driver who wants to try his car's top speed.

Jumping off the median and clashing head on to a fully laden truck! Even if that had happened at the slowest of speeds, the results would've been disastrous.

As you can read from the report, even the truck driver is serious and is admitted to a hospital.

The occupants of the ill-fated vehicle were returning from Shirdi and were proceeding towards their destination in Goa. Hence, It is also a possibility that they may have started their journey midnight and would've continued towards their final destination without proper sleep after that tiring day at a pilgrimage center.

Another typical reason for accidents is families returning from pilgrimage trips. Owing to standing in long queues and back to back Darshan of their deities at various temples within a single day and the urge to return back by driving overnight leaves them completely tired :-

This perhaps is the biggest RISK people fail to realize and becomes one of the major reasons for loss of so many lives just because the driver dozes off at the wheels. Moreover, none of the occupants of the ill-fated vehicles would be even awake to keep their driver busy and attentive while he is feeling miserably sleepy and bored due to an empty stretch at night, typical sound of a constant RPM of a Diesel engine (Tempo Trax, TTs, Boleros, Sumos) that kinda becomes a lullaby for them.

I may have been the co-passenger next to the driver so many times during those fun filled college and school trips and I always prefer to virtually drive along with the driver and get into a constant conversation with him right since my childhood.

I still remember when my uncle had hired a Sumo from Pune (Wayback in 1997 when we drove from Belur to Sirsi to Pune in 24 hours) and I preferred staying awake - One reason was the love for watching roads and other was for making sure that the driver doesnt feel lonely (Or even insulted for that matter) that everyone else sleeps while he drives.

And most the such accidents where a vehicle jumps off a median, the reason quoted is a Tire Burst. I have been a part of one such accident in Kalol (Near Ahmedabad) where I was behind the wheel of an Indica and a rickshaw suddenly swerved right. To avoid hitting the rickshaw, I tried my best to slow down and squeeze the car with whatever space was left between the median and the Rickshaw. I may have been at speeds of 50-60kmph when my front right tire (brand new) brushed against the median and immediately burst. Since my speed wasn't much, I was lucky that the car didn't climb the median.

Hence, there can be cases where the driver can also doze off at the wheels and come too close to the median and the tire bursts. Essentially, a tire burst may have happened "During" the accident but may not have been the cause for the accident itself the way media reports most of the times.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st June 2012 at 13:32.
paragsachania is online now   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 13:37   #11267
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
oh my dear Lord! what tore that vehicle (Tavera?) open like that? was it the container truck in the background?
I believe this is the Fortuner accident which was talked about in which 10 died.
f1fan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:02   #11268
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,721
Thanked: 9,023 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

10 people died!!

Obviously, most or none of them were belted up, add to that, the car was overloaded. If only 7 people, all belted, I am sure fatalities would have been reduced to 1 or 2.

The overloading would have led to loss of control!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:04   #11269
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 887
Thanked: 488 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
Which is usually a result of inability to control their moment of madness. Is it because testosterone levels generally so high these days. Maybe I should blame all those deo ads again!
Nope you should blame their parents for.not having given them a good spanking when they were naughty. As our incomes increase, we tend to think money suffices every need of the child. We all know what the result of that is. Not just on roads but in daily life.

Speaking of ads i dont find any difference in the expressions of the girls doing the premium icecreams&chocolate biscuit ads and those in the deo ads. We are selling different products with a similar approach. But then this is going OT.

Cheers
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:37   #11270
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,599
Thanked: 6,683 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

I refer to your whole post, but just quoted a bit, as lots of other posts have come in between...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

... ... ...

Yes on a track anyday Ill rip the horses out of a car. But on a road never. These days parents love their children blindly as a child can throw tantrums and given time constraints of a modern day life, parents oblige their children endlessly so much so that under 18s are given the drivers seat without proper adult supervision. Loving a child sensibly is different than loving him blindly. Yes you may have money and a wealth of resources at your disposal but no amount of wealth can bring back a lost child.

... ... ...
Very well said.

We can be still be completely selfish, but drive well --- by simply realising that it is our bodywork and then our flesh and bones that will suffer. Consideration for others is much to be desired on the roads, but this kind of selfishness is a good start. Nobody thinks that they are at risk. The newspapers and our accidents threads prove otherwise: even a Merc can be mangled without too much difficulty.

Be selfish. Look after your own skin. If every body is, it will actually make it better for everybody!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st June 2012 at 14:41.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:02   #11271
BHPian
 
reswaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 122
Thanked: 220 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Time and again on this thread we have had enough debates on the safety aspects of a car and the "Build quality" that a car can have to save lives in case of accidents. Let us simply not waste time talking about Brand A being safer than Brand B under similar circumstances.
+1
No car ensures survival in all possible incidents. Manufacturers are trying to make cars as safe as possible, but a 100+ kmph crash head on (which is actually 200+ because of the other vehicles speed) or t-boning incident is way beyond a passenger cars capability.

I also agree to the pilgrimage trip theory. I've had many friends embark on the return trip way past 8PM after a grueling day trip to Tirupathi and the likes, for a 4+ hour journey. Sleep over, leave early in the morning, and you've missed nothing.
reswaran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:50   #11272
Senior - BHPian
 
mooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 229 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It is also a possibility that they may have started their journey midnight and would've continued towards their final destination without proper sleep after that tiring day at a pilgrimage center... Moreover, none of the occupants of the ill-fated vehicles would be even awake to keep their driver busy and attentive while he is feeling miserably sleepy and bored due to an empty stretch at night, typical sound of a constant RPM of a Diesel engine (Tempo Trax, TTs, Boleros, Sumos) that kinda becomes a lullaby for them.

Thanks Parag, for this gem of a post in which you have hit the nail on the head regarding how the "dozing off at the wheel" happens.

During my long drive back all the way from Bhubaneswar to Bangalore my father in law took special efforts not to sleep while I was driving. It helped me immensely. Stopping for a sip of tea from a hot flask whenever I started feeling a bit too comfy was the other thing I did, which helped a lot.
mooza is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 17:40   #11273
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 164
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Another typical reason for accidents is families returning from pilgrimage trips. Owing to standing in long queues and back to back Darshan of their deities at various temples within a single day and the urge to return back by driving overnight leaves them completely tired :-
100% you are right. Most of these accidents happen during pilgrimage. May be they become more dearer to God after prayers.
ameaa is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 17:51   #11274
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,296
Thanked: 1,689 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

^^^ And add to it the fact that most of the drivers ( barring professional Taxi drivers) are treading unknown terrain and the better highways inviting these fatigued ones to up the speed.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 19:49   #11275
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 676
Thanked: 711 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Saw thiis today near Jeppu, Mangalore
Name:  IMG_0422.JPG
Views: 5750
Size:  447.4 KB
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:09   #11276
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,094
Thanked: 1,137 Times
Default

One of my scariest experiences was a 1984 drive in an Ambassador Taxi from Jammu to Srinagar. The downside was that the driver was very sleepy, upside was that he realized that upfront and requested my uncles to sit in front and talk to him throughout the drive.

Needless to say, we made it but HE ensured that WE stayed awake! :-)
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 07:36   #11277
Senior - BHPian
 
rohanjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 683 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

A friend of mine said yesterday morning he saw a heavily modified (at least externally) Esteem was overspeeding near gold ground, and crashed into a median and was totally wrecked.
Does anyone have more info on this?
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 17:23   #11278
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,153
Thanked: 2,403 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Was witness to this live accident around 3p today on BETL. I was around 100 mts behind when I saw the car hit the divider and do a spin which was almost a 360 and ended up blocking both the lanes.

It was a lady driver who was quite shaken up after the crash, Luckily there was just one vehicle behind her who braked in time. Looks like she dozed off or was not concentrating and hit the median in quite an angle that the front was totally damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-img347.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-img348.jpg  

tharian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 17:41   #11279
Zed
BHPian
 
Zed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 456
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In cases like these, there is simply NO CHANCE for survival. The stretch where this happened is super fast and will entertain any irresponsible driver who wants to try his car's top speed.

Jumping off the median and clashing head on to a fully laden truck! Even if that had happened at the slowest of speeds, the results would've been disastrous
Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
+1
No car ensures survival in all possible incidents. Manufacturers are trying to make cars as safe as possible, but a 100+ kmph crash head on (which is actually 200+ because of the other vehicles speed) or t-boning incident is way beyond a passenger cars capability.

Absolutely. There's only so much safety features in a vehcile can do to defy the laws of physics and biology. And yet there exists an unreasonable expectation among the motoring public that 'brand A' is safer than 'brand B' in an accident such as the one being discussed. While the vehicle itself may suffer different levels of damage the human body is certainly not designed to survive a high speed head-on crash (or a high speed roll over like the one in the chilling video posted earlier). The onus is on each one of us to consider adequate (maximum?) safety features while selection our rides, but thats just step 1 in the safety 'process'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This perhaps is the biggest RISK people fail to realize and becomes one of the major reasons for loss of so many lives just because the driver dozes off at the wheels.

I may have been the co-passenger next to the driver so many times during those fun filled college and school trips and I always prefer to virtually drive along with the driver and get into a constant conversation with him
In an ideal world we would refuse to get into a vehicle on a long drive if we knew that the driver was not well rested. However in the real world the best we can do is to make sure that we constantly remember that the person behind the wheel needs to be alert to road and traffic conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Thanks Parag, for this gem of a post in which you have hit the nail on the head regarding how the "dozing off at the wheel" happens. During my long drive back all the way from Bhubaneswar to Bangalore my father in law took special efforts not to sleep while I was driving. It helped me immensely. Stopping for a sip of tea from a hot flask whenever I started feeling a bit too comfy was the other thing I did, which helped a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
One of my scariest experiences was a 1984 drive in an Ambassador Taxi from Jammu to Srinagar. The downside was that the driver was very sleepy, upside was that he realized that upfront and requested my uncles to sit in front and talk to him throughout the drive.
Needless to say, we made it but HE ensured that WE stayed awake! :-)
In the past it was habitual for me to stop for a cup of tea \ coffee on long drives when i felt drowzy. However for the past few months Ive been trying an alternate option. Short naps. I pull into a rest area or into the parking lot of a restaurant, make sure that my spouse is awake (and happily plugged into one of those 'i' devices) and nap for 15-20 mins. A sip of water is all i need when I wake up to stay alert for atleast 3 - 4 hours.
This may not work for everyone, but personally I find this a more effective, healthier option than caffeine. The down side is that one needs to find a place to park which isnt too noisy on account of close proximity to the highway at the same time not too remote to evoke security concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
^^^ And add to it the fact that most of the drivers ( barring professional Taxi drivers) are treading unknown terrain and the better highways inviting these fatigued ones to up the speed.
A very pertinent point to this discussion - driving according to prevailing conditions. When in unknown territory its best to keep speeds atleast 10 - 20 km lower that ones normal cruising speeds. Same goes for inclement weather conditions.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 19:02   #11280
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Was witness to this live accident around 3p today on BETL. I was around 100 mts behind when I saw the car hit the divider and do a spin which was almost a 360 and ended up blocking both the lanes.

It was a lady driver who was quite shaken up after the crash, Luckily there was just one vehicle behind her who braked in time. Looks like she dozed off or was not concentrating and hit the median in quite an angle that the front was totally damaged.
whoa!! that's a nasty crash! was the woman alright? did she need medical assistance?

looks like she went from left lane to right lane and into the divider pretty fast! probably loss of concentration.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks