Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 15:56   #12691
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,536
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I can understand your sentiment regarding the Yamuna Expressway pile up but not about the Detroit one.
I know , but I simply cant understand the fact that why in both the cases the kids were the fatalities. Most probably the kid on YEW was not wearing a seat belt, but what could be the reason in Detroit?
sourabhzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 15:57   #12692
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,615
Thanked: 6,417 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I know , but I simply cant understand the fact that why in both the cases the kids were the fatalities. Most probably the kid on YEW was not wearing a seat belt, but what could be the reason in Detroit?
A kid under the age of 11 wearing a seatbelt without an age appropriate child/booster seat will suffer severe stomach injury.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 17:39   #12693
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
what could be the reason in Detroit?
Both the kids in the Detroit pileup were in the same car. Its possible that a semi plowed into the back of the car, causing the tragedy. No amount of safety equipment would have been helpful.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 22:40   #12694
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 827
Thanked: 160 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Both the kids in the Detroit pileup were in the same car. Its possible that a semi plowed into the back of the car, causing the tragedy. No amount of safety equipment would have been helpful.
Watching that news on news24, the kid was a girl just 1.5 years old. No question about the seat belt, we wish they may have had a better protection for the travelling kid, a baby seat or secured place in rear seat with an adult.
I see that the help/Ambulance arrived only after 2 hours of reporting.
With other two incidents including this on both YEW and NoidaEWay, there were about 40 cars involved.

Kids not secured while travelling!
Why drive with such a speed with so less visibility!
Why help/rescue took such a long time to arrive!

These questions have become common in India and people are slowly getting educated/aware about them, this may take another couple generations before we really start to value our lives.

note:
The reporter on the news channel is giving some tips on how to drive on EW during fog, requesting everyone to drive with hazard lights ON
Since its flashing, it provides more visibility to others, but really, not a good thing to do IMO.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:20   #12695
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,195
Thanked: 1,239 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
note:
The reporter on the news channel is giving some tips on how to drive on EW during fog, requesting everyone to drive with hazard lights ON
Since its flashing, it provides more visibility to others, but really, not a good thing to do IMO.
Leave aside the reporter, the Yamuna Expressway staff themselves hand out leaflets stating the same thing at the entrances!
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:30   #12696
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

The lorry that tried kissing the flyover!

Name:  01thmak_lorry_G_02_1350006e.jpg
Views: 8092
Size:  15.2 KB

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle4371156.ece

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 2nd February 2013 at 11:33.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:45   #12697
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Inspired by the pic above...

This lorry does it in Gangnam Style

Name:  TH_sTANDALONE_G_TH_1351219f.jpg
Views: 7959
Size:  95.1 KB

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle4374258.ece

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 3rd February 2013 at 09:48.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 07:07   #12698
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,512
Thanked: 951 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

JVLR and especially Gandhi Nagar junction flyover never seem to see sensible drivers...one more example in the wee hours of morning today, just some time ago. This tempo guy must have mistakenly taken on flyover and thought of taking U-turn on flyover to come back on wrong side when he must have turned sideways right across the road.

Anybody going towards Easter Express may take the down road through the signal instead of flyover for sometime as the traffic is getting stranded badly some times, but sommetimes a single lane towards the center is working besides the accident area on flyover.

Pics: Accidents in India-p1150299.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-p1150301.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-p1150303.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-p1150305.jpg

Last edited by parsh : 7th February 2013 at 07:09.
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:08   #12699
BHPian
 
Shreyas Aterkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 252
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Saw an accident in the morning on the wester express highway just before the Santacruz flyover. A Renault Pulse it was I guess, The front was totally damaged and I think police officers were trying to remove a person from the car, not sure though. The passeger side airbag seemed to be deployed. Also saw a BEST bus parked in front and all the passengers of the bus were on the road, suspect that the car would have hit the bus or something. Just hope the occupants of the car are safe. Couldn't take the pics of it.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 10:44   #12700
BHPian
 
MARCUS_520i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 520
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

I was on my way back home last night from Juhu, traveling on BEST bus #355 when a little after JW Marriott, did I happen to see a collision. A Maruti 800 had banged head-on into an Audi Q5! Couldn't get to take a better look as the bus zoomed past them, but very sure it was a bad one. Anyone got the pictures of this one?
MARCUS_520i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 08:51   #12701
Senior - BHPian
 
Maverick5490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 591 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Saw the mangled remains of a new white swift below the flyover on the turn towards Gandhi Nagar on the Eastern Express Highway. Was ehading towards Worli, so couldnt click a pic, any news on this one, the roof seemed to be torn apart, like it went under a dumper.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 11:51   #12702
BHPian
 
KALINGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PUNE
Posts: 693
Thanked: 254 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Saw a very worst accident yesterday night around 10 PM. It was near Green Park hotel on Baner Road, Pune.

A Chevy Beat diesel car driven by a drunken driver dashed a lady from behind. That same car overtook me from left side at very high speed(around 120 KMPH) and missed me by inches. Then he dashed the lady at the same speed who was on right side.

I was the first person to reach the spot. I Called the police and help to sent the lady to hospital in police van. I was really shocked at that time.

The lady was out of danger now(confirmed from a police man)

One off topic question :- (Mods Kindly excuse.)

The police had note down my address and phone number as witness. I am really afraid, assuming police may call me frequently to police station and court. yesterday night they kept me waiting at the spot till 11.30 PM.

Any suggestion regarding this?
KALINGA is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 11:56   #12703
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,641
Thanked: 2,000 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
The police had note down my address and phone number as witness. I am really afraid, assuming police may call me frequently to police station and court. yesterday night they kept me waiting at the spot till 11.30 PM.
Good on your part to call the cops and stay there till the issue was resolved.

As far as I know, you will not be bothered much if the cops were able to determine that the driver was drunk. Perhaps a couple of testimonies will be required, depending on how the victim and the cops decide to pursue the case.
If you have any issues, please feel free to PM me. I dont have any contacts or anything though! We do have a friendly lot of bhpians in Pune, so we can get some advice definitely
selfdrive is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 11:59   #12704
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,423
Thanked: 869 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A kid under the age of 11 wearing a seatbelt without an age appropriate child/booster seat will suffer severe stomach injury.
My (then) nine year old son will always sit in the front passenger seat, proudly belted up and I let him! Whether highway drive or city. I did not know of these seats then. By the time I got to know of them, he had crossed eleven years!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 12:03   #12705
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,305
Thanked: 808 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Saw a very worst accident yesterday night around 10 PM. It was near Green Park hotel on Baner Road, Pune.

A Chevy Beat diesel car driven by a drunken driver dashed a lady from behind. That same car overtook me from left side at very high speed(around 120 KMPH) and missed me by inches. Then he dashed the lady at the same speed who was on right side.

I was the first person to reach the spot. I Called the police and help to sent the lady to hospital in police van. I was really shocked at that time.

The lady was out of danger now(confirmed from a police man)

One off topic question :- (Mods Kindly excuse.)

The police had note down my address and phone number as witness. I am really afraid, assuming police may call me frequently to police station and court. yesterday night they kept me waiting at the spot till 11.30 PM.

Any suggestion regarding this?
Good that you were quick to act and get the lady to the hospital.

You do not need to worry much about police, they cannot call you unnecessarily and trouble you. If they case goes to court, they might call you as a witness. It is upto you whether you would like appear as witness or not unless the court sends you a summons.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks