Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th December 2011, 21:13   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Don't step on the gas on Bangalore roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Putting formal speed-limits, announcing them and creating awareness about it is a good start.
In bangalore formal speed limits were always there i.e; 40 Kmph for Bikes and 50 cars before this recent revision, But...

Cops never announced them publicly (rarely seen half broken half visible boards on some arterial roads existed) and 90 % Bangalore traffic cops aren't interested in "awareness", they're sole interest is to fine motorists as a sign of their machoism. Awareness starts at the RTO level.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 22:23   #32
Team-BHP Support

The ORR had the speed limit painted in Font size 10. It said 60 but suddenly it would change to 50 but you could nver tell difference.
This notification will end all confusion
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 22:28   #33
BHPian

Actually the move is very welcome.
This would ensure that the traffic congestion is made away with.
• Cars (all types): 60 kmph
• Buses, vans, trucks, matadors, motorcycles, scooters, etc: 50 kmph Buses don't have to stop at signals, motorcycles and scooters can dart betweeen the faster cars
• Mopeds, autorickshaws, three-wheelers, tempos, etc: 40 kmph Autos and mopeds have no rules and can keep up any which way
• Tractors, trailers, etc: 20 kmph Tractors are allowed to travel in the wrong side
BTW are ambulances and school buses left out as an oversight or is it deliberate?
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 22:32   #34
Team-BHP Support

In current condition of Bangalore where do get space to drive at 60kmph?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 22:56   #35
Team-BHP Support

A way to make money in my opinion rather than do something useful. Instead of catching for speeding why don't they try to catch guys for:

- not following lane discipline?
- going on the wrong side of the road
- blocking the left turn at a signal when they want to go straight
- going on wrong side of a divided road once the signal turns green
- cutting into a queue from the right when there are cars waiting to turn left

The idioticabs, sumos, BTS buses and autos hardly cross 60kmph but they are the cause for majority of traffic issues. Why not try to enforce discipline on them?

Don't the cops see that on sundays when the cabs don't run and even autos are lesser traffic is smooth. Whenever there is an auto strike or a taxi strike why are the roads so pleasant to drive on?

60kmph rule is just a way to make money. Rather than spend on interceptor they need to start enforcing simple rules. Catching for speeding is the easiest way for cops to make money. Wait with speed gun and stop the speeder. If they have to catch for non-disciplined drivers they will have to learn the rules themselves observe the traffic and take a judgement call. Too much work for the cops.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 23:15   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Sir,

I don't think it's about travelling at 60 km/h. It's about the limit that is 60 km/h that one is not allowed to breach.

On any given day, I get to touch about 60 in my car for a few seconds. Bangalore traffic and my timing has given me the privilege to engage 5th gear at least once during my 10 km commute. I drive to Koramangala and Jayanagar and some of the roads and the traffic allow you to achieve 60 km/h and go beyond. I'm sure if I can achieve 60 km/h in my 8 year old Santro, there would be cars that can get there much quicker.

That said, during peak hours, it gets so messy that one cannot get out of 1st gear for several dozens of minutes. I've been stuck in those situations and they have been horrible. And suddenly you think, the 60 km/h limit isn't bad after all

I've never gone beyond 50 km/h in the city in my Santro, and I've been a witness to several people who blast past me on few of Bangalore's better roads, only to get caught a few hundred meters ahead for breaching the city-speed-limit. And I flash a quick grin as I breeze past at 50 km/h. *grin*

EDIT: I'm a very defensive driver and rarely test my cars abilities on the public road.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th December 2011 at 23:17.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 13:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
There is a new portion of ring road which joins tumkur road to mysore road.
It has a 3 lane wide , straight stretch for about 5 kilometers. I have seen some regulars doing 180+ in here after interceptor go home
_chikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 14:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

A more realistic way would be to have different limits on different types of roads! We seem to have a one size fits all sort of attitude when it comes to these rules and regulations and the tragedy is in the execution of the same!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 15:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Dont's step on the gas on Bangalore roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New speed limits:
• Buses, vans, trucks, matadors, motorcycles, scooters, etc: 50 kmph
• Mopeds, autorickshaws, three-wheelers, tempos, etc: 40 kmph
• Tractors, trailers, etc: 20 kmph
The maximum speed limit on the road from Hebbal to BIA will be 80 kmph for cars only on one lane.
Better would have been fixing the speed-limits for the roads, rather than type of vehicles. Equally required is
1) The discipline for slowing moving vehicles to keep to the left.
2) The left lane must be free of obstacles so that the slow-moving vehicles came move slowly.
Otherwise, a rickshaw will occupy fast lane and go at 40, its speed limit and blocking the buses, who can go at 50.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 15:38   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
There is a new portion of ring road which joins tumkur road to mysore road.
It has a 3 lane wide , straight stretch for about 5 kilometers. I have seen some regulars doing 180+ in here after interceptor go home
I'm sure they do but that's not all of Bangalore.

Let me give one example here. During mid 90s from home to office (Indiranagar - MG Road area) in the morning around 9 was taking roughly under 10 minutes. Same distance today at the same time takes more than half an hour.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 15:49   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
For once, I would welcome this move.

Before everybody pounces on me, let me explain. We can always debate that something else is more important and the constraints in implementation and how the system is rotten and all that. At the same time, IMHO traffic discipline needs to start from somewhere. Putting formal speed-limits, announcing them and creating awareness about it is a good start.
Everyone would welcome and accept this move, if only it were to be implemented impartially. You can't have a different set of standards for private vehicles and commercial vehicles. How often are cabbies pulled up for overspeeding, or an autorickshaw pulled up for brazenly flouting the rules?
Almost never.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 16:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

What about the police vehicles speeding along on the wrong side of the road and/or parking in No Parking Zones! Near my office in Koramangala, I often see one of those Interceptor vehicles lurking on top of the pavement right outside the neighborhood chai-wallah's shop! The cops are loitering about drinking tea and smoking cigs - given gratis of course by the poor chai shop owner!
The other day I was driving to office on the back road from HSR layout which comes out near the Lazeez and Thulp restaurant and emerges onto 80 ft road and while there was a complete traffic jam on the left side, a police vehicle brazenly cuts across the divider and buzzes along the other side against the on coming traffic! Why should there always be different standards for the tax paying public and for these cops? In the same vein why should we tax payers be stopped whenever some idiot politico is coming along into the city from the airport? It happened on the day I was buzzing around the Vinayak Skoda place a couple of weeks ago, to pay my booking amount! We were held up while wishing to make an U turn, near that Mekhi circle under-pass close to Palace Grounds, for a good 10-15 minutes on account of some clod who was coming into the city! The busy body cops on duty that day didn't have much to say when I asked them why we, the tax payers should be made to wait on some chap who is after all, only an elected representative of the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Everyone would welcome and accept this move, if only it were to be implemented impartially. You can't have a different set of standards for private vehicles and commercial vehicles. How often are cabbies pulled up for overspeeding, or an autorickshaw pulled up for brazenly flouting the rules?
Almost never.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 21:40   #43
BHPian

The areas where they have interceptors have become more predictable these days, similar to the way some of the drunken guys in Bangalore know what routes to avoid after they are a few drinks down.

Another problem is with the cabs going to the Airport. Until a few months back, there used to be a voice over from the system the moment the driver crosses a speed of 80 KM/HR. These days, i dont see any of the cabs to the airport having this process.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 22:58   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Dont's step on the gas on Bangalore roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
"The new speed limits that came into force on December 3, 2011.....
New speed limits:
• Buses, vans, trucks, matadors, motorcycles, scooters, etc: 50 kmph
• Mopeds, autorickshaws, three-wheelers, tempos, etc: 40 kmph
• Tractors, trailers, etc: 20 kmph
The maximum speed limit on the road from Hebbal to BIA will be 80 kmph for cars only on one lane.
Violation of the new speed limits will result in motorists being fined Rs 300 for the first time, Rs 600 for the second, and Rs 600 plus suspension of the driving licence for the third."

Cheers!

Now, drive faster but with caution
The new speed limits for all categories of motor vehicles are OK. But the speed limit for mopeds at 40 kmph is amusing.
There are many TVS Heavy Duty mopeds, based on the old TVS still found in many parts of Bangalore.The TVS mopeds start rattling @ 35-40 kmph.A 40 kmph speed strains the engine.These run best @ 30-35 kmph.
And for most new cars, these are driven at speeds of 60-70 kmph.But a speed of above 60 kmph is quite unsafe for city traffic, as it inconveniences other traffic users and maybe not the driver himself.
Maybe speed demons would once in a while drive to the new airport terminal @ 80 kmph on that designated lane to keep their skills alive.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 19:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A way to make money in my opinion rather than do something useful. Instead of catching for speeding why don't they try to catch guys for:

- not following lane discipline?
- going on the wrong side of the road
- blocking the left turn at a signal when they want to go straight
- going on wrong side of a divided road once the signal turns green
- cutting into a queue from the right when there are cars waiting to turn left

The idioticabs, sumos, BTS buses and autos hardly cross 60kmph but they are the cause for majority of traffic issues. Why not try to enforce discipline on them?
Do I see roadrage here?
Now all the above are lesser crimes committed by a minority of offenders.
They do not have a clear cut division. How many of Bangalore roads have lane markings?
But speed is a tangible crime. You point a radar gun at the guy rushing to catch a train, and you make money. In fact at any road which is more than 1 km between signals, This rule will be broken, thus it is a rich haul.
On the other hand you catch a someone on a moped driving on the wrong side, he will beg and plead with you and finally give you Rs.10/- Not very economically viable is it?
Today in Malleshwaram 7th cross - Sampige road junction, There was a bad traffic snarl. One guy was even going up the wrong way. No cop on the scene.
But 3 traffic cops were in the side lane collecting money from the illegal cart vendors and evicting the ones who did not pay. That is a job for a brown shirt and outside their jurisdiction.
Where was I? Waiting for mom outside a matching center.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote