Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th December 2011, 14:11   #31
BHPian

Default Re: If you follow traffic rules in Bangalore ,you end up like this !

Satya! take care mate! wish you a fast recovery.

Have you lodged a FIR yet?

lets put it up on the BTP FB page as well. This is not how things should be!
Its really sad that others stuck behind you preferred to stay away and stay safe in their coccoon.
Although I am not from Karnataka, I do speak a bit of Kannada & drive a KA regn vehicle. Guess thats why I never came across such bullies. However, whatever they did is despicable.
aqualeo2040 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

FIR is ruled out .Like I said earlier ,I dont want to get into additional hassles.My family is already worried about me bumping into this moron again on the toll road .They just want me to take the office transport :(
About the BTP FB page ,Yes I did put this over there .Except BTP ,everyone else has replied Like everyone else here ,I am also not surprised !

The main objective behind this thread is to ensure that all of us are careful in such situations .You never know ,who has a gun inside their vehicles .

But ,I liked the idea of sending flowers .Now that I have his address , let me see if I can do this .

Last edited by speedsatya : 14th December 2011 at 14:25.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Thought will share with you whatever I went through yesterday .

Date :14 December 2011
Time : 5pm IST
The other vehicle : Alto,KA01MA5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Checked here: BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System
Found this:
Owner Name : PRAKASH.B.P.
Engine No : F8DN4066431
Chasis No : MA3EYD81SOO476903
Make : MARUTI ALTO
Company : MARUTI UDYOG LTD
Engine Capacity : 796 cc

Not too much of help. I was hoping to find the address too.

Were you not able to lock your car from inside and close all the windows?

use both info here - https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/face...rchDetails.jsp

the above is the central database for all the vehicles in India.

you will end up with his address.
govigov is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I can understand Kannada but cant speak it, but I guess that is immaterial, as long as one is not dis-respecting the language.... I dont know where is road rage is going to take Bangalore.

I am here since the last 8-9 years ..
That is a fairly long time for you to pick up any language. It doesnt seem necessary because you can make do with English/ Hindi until an incident like this happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have seen similar behaviour to a lesser extent in Chennai and Mumbai. Although since I know Marathi and Tamil, its not so much of a problem there, but in Bangalore it becomes an ego issue if you are not able to converse in Kannada. Especially with the rowdy elements who use this as an advantage and others who egg them on. Sigh.
It is an expected behaviour from rowdy elements. Be it in Bangalore, Mumbai or Texas!

I am a Bangalorean and feel sad to hear such negative comments about my city. I dont say these things are correct but blaming it all to the city is not the right thing. A city is what its people are, these incidents can happen anywhere. Couple of months back an auto guy didnt want to drop me near my house but wanted me to get down at the main road, I didnt budge, result was all the auto drivers from the near by stand (which happened to be this auto drivers' stand as well) ganged up on me. I got slapped and roughed up by these guys.

This incident didnt happen because I cant speak Kannada or have plates of a different state. This incident happend because you really cant expect cab/ auto drivers and the likes to be civic and cultured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You can send him either a Horse's head like "The Godfather" or an anonymous bouquet of flowers with a get well message courtesy his MH friend.

Either of these will scare the hell out of him. Hopefully make him think a couple of times before he messes with anyone.
This one I would definetly recommend. It would scare the day lights out of him.
mac187 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Thought will share with you whatever I went through yesterday .

Date :14 December 2011
Guess - it was 13th Dec 2011 since 14th is today or is my computer & blackberry showing wrong dates .

And my sympathies are with you speedsatya. Hope you recover soon.

This reminds of a similar incident happened to me;

Date/ Time: Someday in Nov/ Dec 2007 around 9:30 AM
My Vehicle: Innova
The other Vehicle: Guess Santro or Getz

I was on my way to office and traffic was as usual chocker blocked. Signal turns red near HM Towers (the road leads to Garuda Mall & later this road was made 1 way from the other side before closing it down for drainage work by BWSSB) and I wait patiently until the signal turns green. I go straight but the guy behind me tries overtaking me but I did not budge & tried to cross the road (all in first gear with 15 kmph). Since I didn't give way because I couldn't due to traffic, there is no way for him to move ahead and makes a sudden left and his bumper caught my bumper. In that process - his left side front bumper came off & but mine right side rear bumper remained firm but had scratches.

So - he stops the car in the middle of the road and gets down yelling down. I roll the window down and said - we can park the car on the side & talk. He didn't budge but wanted me to get down & talk in the middle of the road which was already chocker blocked. After 2 mins - he get's some sense and says to park the vehicle to the left of the road some 10 meters away. I move and park and get off the vehicle and he too comes and parks behind. Then again he charges at me and he became furious despite me talking saying politely that it was his mistake. In that process - he jumped on me and held my shirt & was threating to hit me. It went on for 5 mins and a traffic constable shows up and he immediately strikes a conversation with him in Kannada and me couldn't though I said my side of the story in Hindi & English (knowing that speaking my mother tounge Tamil - might make it worse). The other guy was demanding money for the damage and the traffic constable asked me if I would like to pay & settle for which I said 'No' since it was not my mistake.

Later the traffic constable asked me & him to come to traffic police station (Ashok Nagar Traffic Police Station) to lodge a complaint since the other guy wanted to file. Even now - he thinks it was not his mistake.

So - I agree and drove to the police station. In PS - we parked our cars on the road and walk up to an SI. The other guy - jumps in first and goes on describing the incident & how it is my fault. Then the SI turns at me and asks what my side of story is. I narrate the story to him. Having heard both - he wanted to inspect the car and walked out with us. He inspected both the vehicles and asks where exactly the incident happened. After hearing & inspecting - SI on the spot said to the other guy that it was his mistake and told me if I would like to lodge a complaint against the other guy for accident and also said he can tranfer the case to regular police station since he assaulted me. The guy went pale and he had no words to speak.

Later - SI, invited us to his office and asked us to decide. Now - this guy had no guts to speak to me...so - I walk up to him and say, I am not giving any complaint - he can go free and said him to behave properly with people. Gave him my visiting card and said - pls. drop by my office for a cup of coffee. (Ya - he never came by)

Thanked the SI and move away!

Even after this - there were lot of other incidents of this sort happened to me - I try to be normal & move on since - I cannot get down to their level and they are MORONS.

So - my advice is just move on since we cannot change this world and continue to be GOOD! Happy recovery speedsatya!
maheshramaling is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this.

Quote:
And , i am left with a fractured little finger .All for following traffic rules
Sorry don't take me wrong here.

No, you are not left with this condition for following rules, but trying to police it on others.

It may be bitter, but this is fact. Sometimes, you do need to close your eyes.

Sure, you can raise your voice and fight for the rights. But only if you are prepared for that and don't worry or crib or expect a favorable reactions
mjothi is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Sorry don't take me wrong here.

No, you are not left with this condition for following rules, but trying to police it on others.

It may be bitter, but this is fact. Sometimes, you do need to close your eyes.

Sure, you can raise your voice and fight for the rights. But only if you are prepared for that and don't worry or crib or expect a favorable reactions

Like I said earlier ,I have his address as this car is serviced at Surakshaa

Mjothi ,yes I could have escaped with no injuries ,I wouldnt have to buy another expensive sunglass ,I wouldnt have had to take leave ...... but as a responsible citizen ,it is our duty to try and educate other road users .Simply putting a LTD or LCLC sticker doesnt make sense

If it wasnt for my reflexes ,we could have had our cars pictured in the accidents in india thread .We could have ended up crashing into some innocent driver ..... it could be one of our family members the next time .

I have said I will TRY and ignore ...but i know i will continue doing the same the next time I see one more idiot breaking rule on the road .

Call it harakiri ...call it whatever

And yeah ,I wouldnt blame this city as such .Its few rowdies like these that give this city a bad name .

If only we had stricter fines,if only we had more effective policing ,if only we had more concern for other people's lives ..
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:49   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post

a) I was travelling on the ELTS to Electronic city from Madivala... He has audacity to tell me that i should talk to authorities and get a board fixed on the ELTS asking scooterists to move on the left side and the only then he will follow. I leave the place and was not worth wasting my time anymore.
Wow.. what next? Should we put up boards advising serial-killers not to murder people because it's wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
b) This is a poignant story. A friend of mine who is a gentle and decent soul and Kannadiga was waiting for signal to turn green in Ragi Gudda circle in Jayanagar. There was a luggage truck in front of him. Signal turns green and the truck does not move. My friend honks couple of times. The driver of the truck gets down from his vehicle, come to my friend and punches in his face. From that day my friend is in Coma.
Has anything been done about this incident? I hope the truck-driver has been taken to task for his actions?

Quote:
If only we had stricter fines,if only we had more effective policing ,if only we had more concern for other people's lives ..
I'm sorry to hear about this incident, Satya.

Bangalore is indeed sprawling with uncouth and uncultured road-users. In my 10 km drive (one way) I encounter a minimum of 50 road users who don't follow any rules or have no regard for other road users.

As a fellow road user, one is responsible for the others on the road too, and not just oneself.

If one doesn't respect other road users and their lives, he has no respect for his own.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Satya bhau,

Sorry to hear about this incident. Hope you recover soon...from the injury !

Now since you have his address - why dont you send this moron a bouquet of flowers for a week - with a Get Well soon card ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 16:07   #40
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Like I said earlier ,I have his address as this car is serviced at Surakshaa

Mjothi ,yes I could have escaped with no injuries ,I wouldnt have to buy another expensive sunglass ,I wouldnt have had to take leave ...... but as a responsible citizen ,it is our duty to try and educate other road users .Simply putting a LTD or LCLC sticker doesnt make sense

If it wasnt for my reflexes ,we could have had our cars pictured in the accidents in india thread .We could have ended up crashing into some innocent driver ..... it could be one of our family members the next time .

I have said I will TRY and ignore ...but i know i will continue doing the same the next time I see one more idiot breaking rule on the road .

Call it harakiri ...call it whatever

And yeah ,I wouldnt blame this city as such .Its few rowdies like these that give this city a bad name .

Sir, I understand your sentiments and appreciate you not giving up.

If you insist on "correcting" wrong behaviour by others,
1. Please do that while staying inside the car
2. On a lighter note, please consider wearing riding gear (helmet, gloves etc) while driving a car.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 16:12   #41
BHPian

Pity you Satya, its a very unfortunate incident. Learning, never get out of your vehicle. Move away from the situation as soon as possible.

I have lived all my life in Bangalore and assure you that people here are really, really tolerant. May be your case is an exception, but what I have found is these drivers (of non Karnataka vehicles) getting defensive and hurling words at the local population.

I believe these situations are not limited to Bangalore alone, happens almost eveywhere in the world. Remember, respect the local population (not just in Bangalore), after all its their home and they always have a say, right or wrong!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 16:43   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, yes...and no! I used to believe this as well, despite friends and family telling me to mind my own business. All this changed one day when I was zipping down a nice 6-laner in my neighbourhood and a Santro came charging up the wrong way and we ended up nose to nose. I rolled down my finger and asked the guy (in the local language) "Boss, why are you coming the wrong way- it's illegal and dangerous" and to my surprise he got out of the car and charged at me screaming "Oh so you'll teach me the law..? I'll see you, you %$#@!" (translated literally from Marathi )

I confess I lost it and screamed a couple of choice epithets out of my window. Then I got scared since my little girl was with me and all this may be scaring her. So I rolled up my window and zipped off, went for a long drive and a couple of ice creams before I calmed down enough to return home.

Now for the reason I don't do this anymore: after I'd zipped up, my little girl looks at me with a concerned look and says, "Papa why were you shouting at that man? Is he a bad man?"

It hit me then that this could well HAVE been a bad man, one that has no qualms in destroying my life or property over some trivial matter (remember Jessica Lall?) and how stupid I had been to expose myself and my family to danger out of some misplaced sense of outrage!

Having said all that, I am in way condoning what the Alto guy did and am very very sorry for your injury. Get well soon and don't waste your time and energy fretting over these low-lifes- they are just not worth it!
noopster is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 17:08   #43
BHPian

Indeed very unfortunate SpeedSatya. I can imagine what you went through. I too drive a CG car in Hyd and have gotten stares from AP cars as I dont let them drive wrong or have their way "If and only If I am alone". With family my wife always pacifies me down by counting the consequences (like the one you just had).

Nevertheless, I would say since you know where the person stays, you can easily lodge an FIR, however with your office address and not home address. This way if they were to retaliate they would not come to your house.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 18:39   #44
BHPian

This is a trend in the break down of basic Law & Order throughout the country. A law abiding citizen expects the police to be the enforcers of the law but if you deal with them their true colours will surface soon.

There was a time when a few 'respectable' politicians and bureaucrats ran all the states. Then came the upstarts who needed criminals to do their dirty jobs. Soon the criminals became wiser and became politicians. Coalition politics became the order of the day.

Looking for niche markets, ideologies and market differentiation, parochial politicians emerged, playing on the secret fears of the middle class. So evolved the lumpen elements - wannabe criminals who are protected by the politicians and bureaucrats.

What is described in this thread is the end result of all these factors. Have to learn to live with it unless you are Rambo or Anna Hazare .
basky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 21:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Satya,i pity you man. Get well soon.

I drive on my pulsar to and fro on the BETL daily since i joined a company in E City 5 months ago. I have learnt one thing. Swallow all your ego and drive as if you want to reach from point A-B in one piece.

I see these tempo travelers/cabs squeezing between cars or bikes to move ahead.I have seen cars pushing bikes to the extreme end to hurry up! I ,being on a bike am very vulnerable to anything.even a slight nudge at that speed can mean horrific things to me. I used to travel at 70-80 on left lane and if any vehicle came from behind and honked to give way by pushing me to the extreme left i never used to care.One morning,this tempo traveller came so close to my bike in doing such antics that i felt he would rear end me. Its very frighting to get rear ended on a bike at that speeds! From that day i have learnt not to take "panga" with any of these fellows.Just let them go ahead.

These cab drivers are very low lifes.They dont have any humanity or etiquette in driving.This is because they are uneducated!

One more piece of advice-Just dont react when some one rides rashly,because what i have learnt is your shouting wont have any effect on them.They will continue as they are.It may just sooth your aggravated soul and ego.

Take care mate .God speed
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote