Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th June 2012, 12:13   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Driving through a hartal/bandh

I had a horrific experience last motnh

I was going to the North Kerala coast. This meant leaving Bangalore at 5.00 am
Entered the Kerala border at 10.00am

Drive into a village and see a load of hostile youngters in orange lungi's. They start trying to open the doors. With 2 ladies in the car, i panic and drive on.

Come to another blockade and am accused of hitting someone, I tell them to get lost and drive on

I then realised that a hartal has been called due to fuel price increase. I come to another blockade and am accused of hitting a child. Since there is a language issue, they say they are calling a priest, I refuse and tell them to call the police. I never get out of car and keep windows 1 inch open to communicate. Police come in 15 min and we go to the police station.

It is clear the police are disgusted with these folks. They tell us that we should stop to humour these guys. We tell them that if it was a uniformed person, we will comply, we also add that we were unaware abotu the hartal, having started earlier. If so, we would have come later. They tell us that there is a complaint that I hit someone. The person is produced - an old man (so much for the child!)

No scratches, no bruises are observed. Cops look at car and see no damage. 10 min later the old man is walking perfectly fin in the police compound. I offer to get an xray done to pprove no impact/injury. Cops tell these folks that there is no case and they will not allow any settlement. These guys tell us that we cannot move till 6 due to the hartal. Cops tell us that we are welcome to stay on. We promptly comply only for these idiots to tell us to carry on 30 min later.

I really salute the Kerala police for analysing the facts and clearly ensuring justice.

To cut a long story short, we carried on. We got stopped and forced to stand for 15-30 min a few times then carry on. Merely bunches of unemployed youths playing king for the day. The final bunch were decent, they directed me to a short cut to our destination.

Am now more the wiser, now next time one drives to Kerala,

1: Check ahead about the possibility of a bundh
2: If you are caught in this situ, stop, play their silly game in being inconvenienced for a short while
3: Panic can make you do things you normally would not do.

Long term - would I invest or recommend anyone to invest in Kerala, no way - your diligent youths have convinced me!
2: These guys are paper tigers, they merely want you to
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 12:49   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

@ajmat, feel bad about what you had to go through. Even for someone like me who knows the language, it would have been a harrowing time if caught in the midst of these useless idiots.
So, your situation would have been worse due to not knowing the local lingo.

As someone said, "God's own country" is going to the dogs !!!
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 13:00   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
This is the biggest and only visible flaw in Kerala.

Being a Keralite born and brought up in Pune I am disgusted by this ridiculous behavior of organizing strikes and Bandhs or "hartals" as the communists and Labour unions would address.
Innocent college students are brainwashed into entering this ridiculous political stunt right from the juinor college days..

But a friend of mine told me that you need to stick a paper on your car stating "Airport Return" or "Railway station return" in order to escape this menace.

No manufacturing industry can ever survive there unless it is an indigenous Keralite company..!

Anyway, On 31st May, I drove 100kms across the length and breadth of Pune city in celebration of the Fuel Price hike Bandh.

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2012 at 11:04. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
arrowaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 23:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I know what you mean. The very same day when you were going through your harrowing experience, i escaped serious injury.
I had to drive my wife to the Airport for her morning flight, so all was fine. Trouble started while coming back.

I wouldn't go into the details, but a couple of stones were thrown at my car, shattering passenger side window glass pane and the other making a dent at the rear fender. The car was moving.

The anger was so immense at that time, that hadn't it been a group of 20-25 folks, i would have stopped.

Got home and meditated for a while pondering over the merits of non violence.

The car is in workshop. Damages worth 17k.
ashish.uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 09:28   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

@ashish.uno, that's bad man. Can understand how it feels when you have to deal with a mob and the exasperation when we can't do anything.
Old 28th June 2012, 22:32   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Damn our politicians, who only care for themselves and have forgotten their duty to the public.
No, damn us, the public that elects these politicans to office.
Pacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 21:19   #52
BHPian

Earlier these bandhs in Kerala they used to spare Trains and the convoys of IT buses. Now neither are spared. And most of these times it seems politicians of all hues and shades are just waiting for an excuse or the other.

Take the "fuel price increase" bandh in which Ajmat was caught. In Kerala this happened overnight - the increase was announced at 6 PM and the bandh was called immediately the next day ths incoveniencing a lot of people who were not aware having left for their destinations in Kerala the previous evening or even the day before (on trains from DEL, BOM etc). The bandh in the rest of the country on the same issue was a full one week after that!!! But the Kerala politicians just cannot be bothered to wait to show their dirty opportunism!!!
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 15:06   #53
BHPian

Seems CPM has declared another Hartal tomorrow in Kerala as part of their protest against arrest of one of their leaders. Bhps please take extra caution if you plan to travel tomorrow in Kerala
ontheroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 15:42   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

It has become a pain with these constant hartals. Last week or the week before, it was hartals on Tuesday and Thursday by the BJP for the murder of an ABVP student in a Chenganoor college in a student-scuffle and the Wednesday inbetween was a holiday (Vavu). So 3 days of the 5 days in a working/school week gone.

What I fail to comprehend is that the Kerala HC had banned hartals/strikes some years ago. If so, how do these useless guys (all political parties are the same in this respect) stage this nonsense and get away without being hauled up for Contempt of Court ? This has to stop. I mean, how logical is to have a hartal here in Kerala because of Saddam Hussein was killed in faraway Iraq. Yes, they had one for that too. I remember because me/wifey were stuck in Cochin where we had gone to attend a friend's wedding.

In comparison, I have been in Chennai for close to 25 years now and I can't recollect a single instance where I could not get to work due to a bandh/hartal which themselves are a rarity here (not even once a year) and even then you can get to work on your bike. And in many cases PTS (bus / train) would also be running.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 1st August 2012 at 15:46.
Old 1st August 2012, 16:28   #55
BHPian

Iam a mallu (sigh) and iam generally ashamed of my lazy, egoistic and hypocritical state-mates. Their attitude towards life and women in general give me a bad itch.

But, coming back to the topic - i thought private vehicles are usually allowed to pass during a bandh. Its only the commercial yellow-boards that are strictly not allowed to ply?
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 16:41   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^You can get away on a bike/cycle (usually, but don't take a risk based on my word ). But cars could be stoned - so people don't take a risk generally.
Old 1st August 2012, 16:53   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

But, coming back to the topic - i thought private vehicles are usually allowed to pass during a bandh. Its only the commercial yellow-boards that are strictly not allowed to ply?
They do after a bit of delay and dilly dallying
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 17:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

What I fail to comprehend is that the Kerala HC had banned hartals/strikes some years ago. If so, how do these useless guys (all political parties are the same in this respect) stage this nonsense and get away without being hauled up for Contempt of Court ? This has to stop. I mean, how logical is to have a hartal here in Kerala because of Saddam Hussein was killed in faraway Iraq. Yes, they had one for that too. I remember because me/wifey were stuck in Cochin where we had gone to attend a friend's wedding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Iam a mallu (sigh) and iam generally ashamed of my lazy, egoistic and hypocritical state-mates. Their attitude towards life and women in general give me a bad itch.

In Palakkad at least, I've found that using private vehicles does not create any issues. I've always gone to office (I commute from Palakkad to Coimbatore by train) except I think during the one called for the murder of TP Chandrasekaran. The roads are free during the bandh and I reach the railway station double quick

In Kerala if just you go out and say there is a bandh tomorrow, everyone will 'zimply' stay at home

There is an anti-maida-parotta association formed here in kerala and I don't know when they are going to call a hartal next.

No, am serious!!

PS : @SupremeBaleno - Kerala may be God's own country, but is filled with Devil's Own People

Last edited by mallumowgli : 1st August 2012 at 17:08.
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 17:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

People actually take private vehicles to work or "used to". I used to do the same thing but now it's something like a state holiday/festival. Prepare a feast, watch regional movies on TV with family(tv channels usually showcase good movies during hartals) and have a time off. This is the current trend in Kerala. I take a day off during hartals and enjoy the same.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 19:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
People actually take private vehicles to work or "used to". I used to do the same thing but now it's something like a state holiday/festival. Prepare a feast, watch regional movies on TV with family(tv channels usually showcase good movies during hartals) and have a time off. This is the current trend in Kerala. I take a day off during hartals and enjoy the same.
No wonder that newspaper offices and TV CHannel offices are flooded with Calls once people get a whiff of the news about any Hartal!
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote