Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd January 2012, 23:01   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
@samarjitdhar - an interesting topic and I hope its taken in the right spirit.

*** These are just my views and you may disagree ***
Thanks so much for posting your views. Diverse opinion is always welcome because it brings in a lot of different experiences and insight.

Quote:
I think the problem is more or less same everywhere, and everyone of us need to be aware and follow traffic rules and police should be allowed to work freely and without any political intervention. We can't have a 50ft road, with hawkers on both side along with parking and expect average speed to be more than 10km/h. The authorities responsible for planning etc, need to be more efficient.
Agreed, traffic fines are mild and hardly imposed. I actually support stiffer fines for all private vehicle owners because they tend to belong to the more educated and literate class though it might look like class warfare.

Quote:
Trams was a bit of surprise because what you mentioned is absolutely correct few years back, majority of them would come out of track while taking turns (rashbehari, gariahat, wellington, ultadanga, nonapukur tram depot and many more) but after the tram tracks were rebuilt with concrete in most of the city it has come down for sure and also the tram route has been reduced.
Actually this is not so frequent now though it still happens more so because these trams are so well past their expiry age, their machinery close to defunct.

Quote:
- Most polluted : Kolkata
It took some serious litigation in the High Court and Supreme Court to phase out 2 stroke autos running on adulterated petrol (mixed with kerosene) and 15 year old commercial vehicles off the road. The pollution levels dropped dramatically after that. Still there is more room for improvement.

Quote:
- Car density (no. of car/km) most in Kolkata, followed by Bangalore

- Delhi has the highest road percentage in India ~20%, Calcutta has the lowest ~6%, Bombay and Chennai double that of Calcutta, ideally they say ~30% is required

- Kolkata has the lowest accident rate when compared with delhi, bombay, chennai, bangalore
Actually with the encroachments the usable roads have come down to 3% me thinks . With so much slow moving traffic the no. of fatalities is bound to be low in my view. Conversely it adds to the pollution exponentially with malfunctioning traffic lights and associated timers.

Quote:
If we consider the above (last 3) points, I believe credit must be given to the traffic police.
I am not sure which city you are comparing, CP are one of the best with the available resources in handling traffic, BTW look-wise too
Agree again. But by the government's own published nos. the no. of traffic police is woefully short due to a hiring freeze as a result of budget constraints. Add to that the increased no. of areas brought under CP or KP their resources are heavily stretched and gives so many opportunities for offenders to just get away without any penalty.

Quote:
As for 6 people getting in an auto, more than auto driver or cops we are to blame, I mean no one is forcing us to get into the right side seat of auto driver with half of our body out of the vehicle.

The bus stops because we raise our hand and ask them to stop. And as you rightly mentioned, public transport is mostly privatized in Calcutta and the way it work I guess is on commission basis (and not fixed salary) to each conductor/helper, to driver, rest fuel and then to owner + maintenance, also add the well wishers. It might have changed with the new routes and buses where they may work in per day contract basis like the taxis.
Bang on the buck. Its actually a perfect storm created by each road user with their apathy towards traffic rules and total indiscipline which kind of makes a worse situation irredeemable in my opinion
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:09   #17
BHPian

Very well written points @mi2n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
What makes the traffic situation uniquely worse in Kolkata?

Here's my take on it:

Cause:

Chauffeured cars. A vast majority of car owners in the city prefer to avail services of hired drivers. As sound as it may seem for rich businessmen and bureaucrats with their big expensive machines, even the average hatch owners surprisingly prefer the cramped backseats and end up spending more on drivers than what they pay as EMI or fuel bills. My next door neighbor avails the services of a permanent driver for his daily commute in his Nano(base) and shells out a measly salary.
+1, I think these drivers cause more chaos as rightly pointed out by you, also they create panic among newbie drivers.

Quote:
Cause:

Encroachment! The "footpath" by definition is a market, where you set up shops/homes/party offices by bribing the local authorities and paying monthly rent to local goons who are, supposedly, the owners of the "footpath". Foot soldiers therefore, are forced to go jaywalking on roads meant for vehicles, and they do so with a strange amount of arrogance. No you do not need a butch SUV to own the roads, you can do it on foot.
The "Bus Bays" are where the Auto-Rick terminals are, where scores of ricks pile up, forget buses, there aint enough space left to maneuver a bi-cycle in the "Bus Bays". A "Bus-Terminal" is a 30 feet x 20 feet vacant space beside a road, assigned by the local councilor, where 25-30 full sized buses stay parked (inevitably encroaching more than half the road) and operate from.

Rants ends! Phew!
Add to this the auto stand, taxi stand, rickshaw stand too.
One easy method to understand the influence of union - smaller the vehicle, stronger the union.

Eg. Rickshaw union is stronger than Auto Union, Auto Union is stronger than Taxi Union and so on.

So, whats with union ? The more stronger the union, the more difficult to make them follow traffic rules.

No. of taxi drivers fined by cops for violating traffic rules is greater than no. of autos which is again greater than no. of rickshaws.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 2nd January 2012 at 23:15. Reason: edit ...
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
No. of taxi drivers fined by cops for violating traffic rules is greater than no. of autos which is again greater than no. of rickshaws.
Cycle rickshaws fined by Kolkata police ? They don't even have a driving license since they don't need one. Actually there is too much democracy on the streets of Kolkata. I see some other threads on Bangalore traffic where folks complain about the traffic light countdown timers not working and here we are in the second page of this discussion and its not even a sore point for us out here.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:29   #19
BHPian

Ok. for once lets admit that Calcutta has the worst traffic in India. However, that has been the case for the past 2 decades! The funny part is nothing has changed drastically.

So, what are we suggesting the Govt does to improve this?

1. Evict hawkers : Lost the count! I guess that has been done without much luck. However, if we look at what Shiela Dikshit has done to Delhi, seems that its not that difficult !

2. MLCPs : A must. What happened to the grand underground parking lot plan? This was even sanctioned by the engineers.

3. Bus : I am so glad that those tin-monsters are gone. At least the JNNURM buses look decent (albeit, its the same moron on the driver's seat). However, if you think that the Mini bus drivers are bullies, one should see how the super fast Volvos of BMTC are driven!(trust me on that!!!)

4. Auto : Smoky and annoying. Gained popularity under one of our great ex-ex-Transport Ministers, who was mostly busy with his hat rather than doing something meaningful.

5. Calcuttans : The biggest offenders. So much education and so much gyan is waste until we start following the rules. If we can control our urge to raise our hand to stop the bus wherever we want and get into a overloaded auto!
I dont think Bengalees lack road rage I know quite a few who do.

If our great Didi takes some lessons on hard decisions from Sheilaji on city planning, I am sure Cal will surely be a much better place!
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Ok. for once lets admit that Calcutta has the worst traffic in India. However, that has been the case for the past 2 decades! The funny part is nothing has changed drastically.

So, what are we suggesting the Govt does to improve this?

1. Evict hawkers : Lost the count! I guess that has been done without much luck. However, if we look at what Shiela Dikshit has done to Delhi, seems that its not that difficult !
Aint happening. The biggest vote bank of both the left and the right. The hawkers unions continue switching their political colors to match the flavor of the season. On the other hand its a source of unemployment for many a deprived youth in this sorry state of affairs. Not to go but many a well educated college passout have no option but to take to this profession, something that has been happening for decades. Thanks to the Left militant trade unionism which drove out industry in the eighties and nineties and then the perception after Singur.

Quote:
3. Bus : I am so glad that those tin-monsters are gone. At least the JNNURM buses look decent (albeit, its the same moron on the driver's seat). However, if you think that the Mini bus drivers are bullies, one should see how the super fast Volvos of BMTC are driven!(trust me on that!!!)
its not that difficult !
Actually more than half of the allotted JNNURM buses are lying idle because the owners of the old ones are refusing to replace their old smoke belching ones even though the government is paying 50% of their price !!! One of the key reasons is the average fares of buses is way too low to sustain employment with successive generic government's obsession to reduce relative prosperity. Actually according to government's own statistics the for every state transport corporation bus there are 18 - 20 employees Thanks to the Left's cadre employment program for decades.

Quote:
4. Auto : Smoky and annoying. Gained popularity under one of our great ex-ex-Transport Ministers, who was mostly busy with his hat rather than doing something meaningful.
This has improved quite a lot actually after the courts forced the transport department and auto unions to give up adulterated petrol. Use of LPG which now costs about the same as adulterated petrol has reduced the pollution from auto rickshaws to quite an extent.

Quote:
5. Calcuttans : The biggest offenders. So much education and so much gyan is waste until we start following the rules. If we can control our urge to raise our hand to stop the bus wherever we want and get into a overloaded auto!
Absolutely. In fact to make the citizens use the foot over bridges for crossing roads, I have an idea of moving all the street food vendors on the over bridges. Every Calcuttan will then use the foot over bridge to cross the road for his/her love of the quintessential "egg roll" and "aloo chop"

Quote:
If our great Didi takes some lessons on hard decisions from Sheilaji on city planning, I am sure Cal will surely be a much better place!
After all she too is a politician so I don't hold out high hopes. However in contrast to successive Left governments bitterly fighting with the Center and not realizing any funds in the process, Didi seems to use her own methods to get them. At least the original plan of having a huge network of subway trains and metros is afoot which should greatly ease the traffic burden if fully realized.
samarjitdhar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:38   #21
BHPian

Just yesterday was going to take a left turn in Calcutta, at VIP Road to enter Lake Town. There were not one but three traffic volunteers managing the traffic, apparently all of them minors and I think hardly anyone among them was over twenty years old. The signal ahead was red, although the left turn indicator signal was blinking green. There was no board present either, declaring infiltration at left prohibited. Yet those volunteers will not allow anyone to take a left turn. I did not say a thing but the auto-rickshaw drivers started arguing and they let us go.

These traffic volunteers at Calcutta are even ignorant of the traffic signals. Who employs them and is not a basic training in traffic management given to them?
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:41   #22
BHPian

Well, I have learnt to drive, and have driven many years in Kolkata. I certainly don't find it worse than the traffic in Bangalore. Most of the self driven private cars, if not all, have a much better sense of road discipline compared to what I see in here. Buses, auto rickshaws, taxis etc. are a menace everywhere. But if one adds the unruly private cars, then the problem gets compounded, and that is exactly happens here. And of course, road rage - I have personally experienced horrific road rage here from so called urban educated people. I wonder they stoop down to behave like taxi and auto rickshaw drivers, then where does one go?

Has anyone noticed some of the ridiculous traffic signal timings at some of the junctions, especially in BTM area?

Last edited by Tats07 : 3rd January 2012 at 10:43.
Tats07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:07   #23
BHPian

I wholehearterdly agree with everyone who says Calcutta has the worst traffic in India. I have ridden / driven in top 12 towns / metros in India (barring Madras and all cities in Gujarat).

I will say Calcutta has the worst traffic. By this, I do not mean that it is unsafe or accident prone. I quite agree with samarjidhar that this is the most indisciplined city. There is utter disregard for anything closely resembling rules and regulations. Every public vehicle thinks that the road belongs to him; he can drive in any lane, at any speed, stop anywhere (buses stop in the middle of the road to pick up/drop passengers) and turn anytime.

One of the most dangerous and worst things you will find on the road is hand-pulled carts carrying 20-feet long bamboo poles that too around 50 of them. THe poles are carried on a cart that can barely accommodate anything around 6 feet long. And that chap (usually a malnourished, poor chap) will pull his handcart slowly without giving two hoots about what vehicle is in front or the back, whether the poles are hitting anyone or not. And just try objecting to it and you will be the target of some Bengali vocabulary you never new existed.

There are no fights and skirmishes on the roads simply because the people here are too dignified to object to wrong doings. They will wait patiently for endless minutes behind a bus that has blocked traffic and not make a sound. Of course, if you were to listen closely, they would be discussing on how the new Govt is not doing enough to rectify things!

What is missing here is self discipline. The so-called lower class can do anything - they can set up a shop anywhere, set up a home anywhere. And it is not that they do it for free. Just walk in to Salt lake Sector V and speak to any roadside stall owner (there are hundreds of them). They pay weekly 'fees' to run their unit over there. And the person who comes over maintains a register and conducts 'collections' very professionally. Result? A handful of the guys are richer and the shops end up dirtying the roads making them impossible to walk on.

Come Durga Puja or any festival, anyone has the right to dig up the roads and stick up poles and huge tents. They will simply block the roads. You want to cross the road? Well, take a 3 km detour. There is no authority that you can go and complain to.

Why do I think Calcutta is incorrigible? Simply because no one wants to do anything about it. Delhi straightened up because of Commonwealth Games (at least to some extent). Even Olympics cannot help Calcutta.

(Of course, these are my personal opinions without malice towards anyone. It is just that my 'road rage' has spilt over here. Thank you, samarjitdhar for this thread that helped me vent out some pent up anger)
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:12   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Having lived in & learnt to drive in Calcutta / Kolkata in the years (early '80s) when traffic rules were not implemented as stringently as they are now, I have been pleasantly surprised by the huge improvements in the traffic situation in that city over the last few years. The traffic cops are present in much greater numbers (per crossing / per 1000 cars) than in any other city, and enforcement is prompt. If anyone considers Calcutta traffic to be chaotic, come drive in one of the smaller cities like Meerut or Varanasi, and I am sure Calcutta will feel much better after that!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:57   #25
BHPian

Actually I always thought traffic in Kolkata is the real world demonstration of the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
NCR/Gurgaon is much more scary. I'd say the road users (not just vehicle drivers) are the most stupid, arrogant, ignorant and indisciplined (and all of this simultaneously) in the entire country here. I have lived in and driven pretty much every metro city in the country through my career like a good migrant bong, and trust me you have to experience this place to believe it.

Calcutta is far more peaceful. The people are more easygoing, if a little impatient. The mobs are dangerous if you let them gather though, but that is more the sideshow. The traffic cops in Calcutta are actually the most efficient gang in the country - you are welcome to not believe it but it's true. If one had the drivers traffic sense of Mumbai, the traffic cops of Calcutta and the roads of Delhi it would be a perfect combination.
Yes I would agree to the point that the private vehicle owners are relatively well behaved here at least they rarely exhibit road rage because most of them hardly know anybody of consequence out here. The rot though is compensated quite a few times over with the commercial vehicles and their unions. Many a time many a Kolkata cop has been beaten black and blue by auto rickshaw drivers, some run over to their death by an errant taxi driver. So much so that barring a few most of them are scared of pulling these drivers up for violating any traffic rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Well, I have learnt to drive, and have driven many years in Kolkata. I certainly don't find it worse than the traffic in Bangalore. Most of the self driven private cars, if not all, have a much better sense of road discipline compared to what I see in here.
Umm. Yes and no. Private vehicle owners are equally reckless actually its a dog eat dog situation. If you read some of the observations in the other posts as how commercial vehicles behave, like buses stopping anywhere they want and in fact sometimes in the left most lane to pick or drop passengers. The private vehicles have no option but to either pass on the left or carry on committing similar traffic offenses. Gradually this becomes a regular habit. Other cities I think have stricter norms of granting driving licenses but the Kolkata DMV is notorious in the way they grant driving licenses specially to those who apply for commercial vehicle driving licenses. The process is highly rigged with the numerous shady driving schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Come Durga Puja or any festival, anyone has the right to dig up the roads and stick up poles and huge tents. They will simply block the roads. You want to cross the road? Well, take a 3 km detour. There is no authority that you can go and complain to.
Please dont even ask what it takes for me to reach home from office during the pujas. And this is in spite of clear instructions from the courts that 1/4th of the roads should be open for vehicular traffic. Entire roads are actually cordoned off from time to time for various events including the pujas and the cops are mute spectators to this total mockery of law.

Quote:
Thank you, samarjitdhar for this thread that helped me vent out some pent up anger)
You are welcome, travelwriter. Hope that you feel a little better now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Having lived in & learnt to drive in Calcutta / Kolkata in the years (early '80s) when traffic rules were not implemented as stringently as they are now, I have been pleasantly surprised by the huge improvements in the traffic situation in that city over the last few years. The traffic cops are present in much greater numbers (per crossing / per 1000 cars) than in any other city, and enforcement is prompt. If anyone considers Calcutta traffic to be chaotic, come drive in one of the smaller cities like Meerut or Varanasi, and I am sure Calcutta will feel much better after that!
Agreed. Though the object of my post was to really do a comparison between the major cities in India specially ones that are deemed metros hence Meerut or Varanasi would not qualify. The idea is to understand the traffic situation where the GDP/GNP is comparatively high and generally are major business hubs. To your point that there are a larger no. of traffic cops, actually the Kolkata Metropolitan Area was increased by quite a lot very recently and a lot of the cops migrated to those new areas hence thinning out their presence here. The gap is plugged by using traffic volunteers who hardly have any training in managing traffic. By the government's own estimates, the traffic department is highly understaffed because of a lack of budget. Now if one were to consider the areas under West Bengal Police like Salt Lake, the lesser said the better. The place where I work there is a major crossing without any traffic lights where the traffic cop from the West Bengal Police is so underfed that he doesnt even have the energy to raise his hands to control the flow of traffic . Mornings are a sight to see at that crossing.
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
One of the most dangerous and worst things you will find on the road is hand-pulled carts carrying 20-feet long bamboo poles that too around 50 of them.
And here, there are trucks carrying large metal rods, maybe 100s of them, sticking out perilously from the rear and pointing straight at the windscreens of cars driving behind them. A single moment of miscalculation can have a horrible outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Please dont even ask what it takes for me to reach home from office during the pujas.
I would like to let you know that it takes me approx two hours on a regular weekday for me to reach my home from office which is 18 Kms away, and this is applicable only if I leave at 5:00 pm. On the same regular weekday, it takes me 2.75 hrs approx to cover the distance if I leave office post 6:00 PM.
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Except that you forgot to mention the rickety old trams trudging along..... The traffic snarls they create is a view that can be observed over Google Maps.
Oh! Yes, how did i manage to miss the Trams. HM has serious competition. What used to be the pride of Kolkata has outlived its useful life decades ago. Yet, just like the Amby, it simply refuses to disappear. It has been seriously outpaced by time itself. The few Tram commuters must be the ones having a rather turbulent home(wife) and as such they are very reluctant to get back home early. It all boils down to the same Unionism and Govt. Policies. Decommissioning the Tramways will render hundreds jobless and face stiff resistance and backlash. So for the sake of a few, others have to bear the brunt. What surprises me is the fact that the Govt. only talks about decommissioning(and subsequent hindrance), while i see a good scope for modernization. Not only does the Trams create a ruckus during rush hour, the tracks by themselves are death-pits for car tyres.

Quote:
Cycle rickshaws fined by Kolkata police
Its not an official fine per say. I hope you got the drift. This can be observed frequently at CR Avenue- Chandni Chowk intersection.

Quote:

3. Bus : I am so glad that those tin-monsters are gone. At least the JNNURM buses look decent
I so hate these ACGL behemoths. These buses simply do not fit in the cramped, narrow lanes in the city proper. They should be restricted to plying only on EM Byepass, etc.(outskirts). These wide body buses simply do not fit in. They cover the entire lane of single lane roads with no space left for a bike to squeeze through. They take ages to negotiate turns. Inevitably, the biggest culprit for congestion after Trams. As good as they are aesthetically, they, while occupying space on road as much as 2 normal buses would can only accommodate fewer commuters. Add to that the ownership cost of these buses which are higher than that of normal ones, and with the prevalent fare structure only God can save the private owners. The are good for well planned cities with wide roads, Kolkata aint either. The should be replaced with the newly announced low cost Volvo 9100s.
Quote:
The same Transport Minister gave us the Volvo Bus Services too.
P.S.: Sometimes i do get politically motivated.
Quote:
Exactly, the laid back attitude and adversity towards change and betterment, submission to goons/unions and utter disdain towards discipline is the norm of the day. Even as i write this, i know that sometimes even I have succumbed to such deformities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post

These traffic volunteers at Calcutta are even ignorant of the traffic signals.
They are the traffic signals. Mind it!

Last edited by mi2n : 3rd January 2012 at 14:17.
mi2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:29   #28
BHPian

As promised here are some random pictures. Sorry about the quality as this is from my phone camera and was being driven around.

A random bus stop at a crossing with passengers
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01022012399.jpg

Yeah say that again. Dont care about laws (This is the most common sight here with a lot of drivers just yakking away on their phones driving slowly on the fastest lane.
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01022012400.jpg

Another common sight. Overloaded auto-rickshaws, rarely penalized. The 5th and 6th passengers are not entitled to any compensation or life insurance claims should anything happen to them. (Yes the 5th passenger is hidden)
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01022012401.jpg

A defunct traffic light at a crossing
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01022012402.jpg

An empty bus stop. The folks seen in this picture are generally socializing (will post better pictures to demonstrate this)
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01022012404.jpg

Forget pillion riders, even the actual rider doesnt have a helmet. This is very common.
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01032012412.jpg
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01032012413.jpg
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01032012415.jpg

Pedestrians cross roads anywhere they wish to by just putting up their hands
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01032012417.jpg
Ignoring the foot overbridge which has been constructed right next to the point they were crossing. Actually I am yet to see a single pedestrian use this footbridge. This is next to Nicco Park and folks from Kolkata would know.
Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?-01032012418.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I would like to let you know that it takes me approx two hours on a regular weekday for me to reach my home from office which is 18 Kms away, and this is applicable only if I leave at 5:00 pm. On the same regular weekday, it takes me 2.75 hrs approx to cover the distance if I leave office post 6:00 PM.
It would be interesting to look at some studies and see the volume of traffic with respect to the amount of usable roads for each of these cities. From my visits to Bangalore, I came away with the impression that the streets and roads out there are even narrower than Kolkata. But then when it comes to traffic volumes I suspect the volume of traffic in Bangalore is probably higher, though I could be wrong. I will hunt up some studies if there are any to demonstrate this. The point is a bad situation is made worse by the recklessness practiced by road users be it Bangalore or Kolkata.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 12:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The few Tram commuters must be the ones having a rather turbulent home(wife) and as such they are very reluctant to get back home early.
. Although its the least polluting mode of transport using it for any travel other than leisure surely has reasons that you have mentioned.

Quote:
It all boils down to the same Unionism and Govt. Policies. Decommissioning the Tramways will render hundreds jobless and face stiff resistance and backlash. So for the sake of a few, others have to bear the brunt. What surprises me is the fact that the Govt. only talks about decommissioning(and subsequent hindrance), while i see a good scope for modernization.
What no. CITU will come out on the streets with their "peepul" and ensure the entire city comes to a standstill. Hopefully after the new metro lines are commissioned, these employees can be absorbed there and trams decommissioned completely. Already tram lines have been uprooted on many roots to facilitate the metro lines.

Quote:
Its not an official fine per say. I hope you got the drift. This can be observed frequently at CR Avenue- Chandni Chowk intersection.
Generally from what I have read in the newspapers its the other way round with the cops at the receiving end. Any such "fine" will cause brickbatting to start immediately.

Quote:
These wide body buses simply do not fit in. They take ages to negotiate turns.
Tell me about it. In many places they love to take U-Turns from impossible angles at peak traffic hours.

Quote:
The same Transport Minister gave us the Volvo Bus Services too.
P.S.: Sometimes i do get politically motivated.
Umm well partially. The same transport minister who has openly sheltered criminals and history sheeters in hostels within the Salt Lake stadium defying the then CM because of his bonhomie with Jyoti Basu. Although I border on the agnostic, I am utterly thankful to the almighty that this creature was called back quickly to answer for his sins before he could wreck more havoc on the streets through his criminal unions. Yes I am being sadist but really I simply don't care for this particular politician who always showed the middle finger to the rule of law.

Quote:
Exactly, the laid back attitude and adversity towards change and betterment, submission to goons/unions and utter disdain towards discipline is the norm of the day. Even as i write this, i know that sometimes even I have succumbed to such deformities.
+1 to that.

<RANT>
Today again we had a fierce jam in the IT sector here (Sector V, Salt lake). For some inexplicable reason we have some repairs going on to only part of the road, and I bet you those repairs wont last more than 2 months. This gives an opportunity for everybody including commercial and private vehicles to break all traffic rules. Since once side of the road is stuck because of slow moving traffic, they start going down the wrong way and I had to take a right turn but couldn't because of these morons coming down the wrong way. This in front of the supposed traffic constables and cops stationed from the West Bengal police department. I came out of my car and gave a piece of my mind to a cop who looked like a sub-inspector who said he is helpless saying that it is folks like us who are breaking the laws. This infuriated me further. How can he avoid imposing any fines even? Who will stop them from penalizing folks who are breaking rules? In front of him, I started stopping all those vehicles who have come down the wrong way and blocking the right turn. One of them was a privately owned car with a chauffeur who I started scolding. Lo and behold the occupant being driven in the car is a lady who works for the same company I work for. I didn't know her but I made sure she heard some stuff from me. The problem is once commercial vehicles start violating rules, the private ones follow and there is absolute mayhem. Next time they break rules this way, I am going to confiscate the driving licenses of these offending vehicles and ask them to go ahead and file an FIR in the local police station against me. Unless we citizens step up and meet this menace and bring in more road sense among ourselves, things will just get worse. </RANT>
Old 4th January 2012, 12:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Driving in Kolkata is a challenge - no doubt about that.
I agree with the chauffeured car problem.
Also pedestrians avoid foot bridges like plague - guess underpasses would be better.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote