Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st February 2012, 12:31   #61
BHPian

Cool Re: Seat-belts compulsory in Bangalore from Feb 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I have a query, our old car 1988 Maruti 800 has no seatbelts as a standard fitment. Though we rarely use the car,I'd like to know
what happens in this case?

I don't think old cars will be exempt may be we'll have to get it as an after market fitment.
After market seat belts in earlier models can be fitted but most of them are of very inferior quality which are cheaply available. Such seat belts may harm you (in case of an accident) more than protecting you. So please check the quality before getting one installed in your car.

Since today is the first day, I am sure many people, who never used seat belts in Bangalore, and are wearing light color shirt / top today, would have got dirty with the seat belt marks. So have you spotted any such person having a mark across his / her shirt / top, around you today?

No wonder if we see a new thread coming up: "How to clean your NOT IN USE Seat Belts?"

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 1st February 2012 at 12:44.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 12:39   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Seat-belts compulsory in Bangalore from Feb 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Since today is the first day, I am sure many people, who never used seat belts in Bangalore, and are wearing light color shirt / top today, would have got dirty with the seat belt marks. So have you spotted any such person having a mark across his / her shirt / top, around you today?

Cheers!
Irish
I got into my friends car for a short drive and spoiled my shirt with the soiled seatbelt. Wonder was he had used it last time.
akshay380 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 15:12   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Same here, but at Chennai. The other day a colleague wants me to drive his Alto and see how it feels and point out any issues. I get in the driver's seat and instinctively pull the seat-belt across, not knowing that he has never used belts and thus it was coated with dust that left a streak on my light-colour shirt. Luckily, this was in the late evening when we were leaving for home.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 15:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Today I saw something I'd never thought Id see. A cabbie wearing his seatbelt! What a sight it was!

There were many who weren't wearing seatbelts. Did my bit in telling themit's compulsory from today, some fastened up, others gave me the 'Mind your business's look.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 16:17   #65
BHPian

On my way to the office today morning I was scanning almost all cars and what do I see, out of every 10 cars only a couple of the drivers had strapped on seat belts! Well looks like the traffic cops have invented a new revenue generation stream! Honestly our drivers lack the urge and sincerity to just follow the law. How difficult is it to just strap that belt before you pull out the car?
sumathindra is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 16:41   #66
jp1
BHPian

Many are using their mobile while driving, no one to stop it even though it causes more accidents. You can see everywhere in Bangalore people using their mobile while driving. While seat belts wearing made mandatory a welcome step, it is more disastrous to use a mobile while driving and people are getting away with it. Hope these cops do something about it.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 17:49   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
This morning around 10:15, in Agara Junction signal (under the fly over) - traffic cop asked me to roll down the windows and checked if I was wearing & smiled in acknowledgement that I was wearing one. I said "I always wear seat belt"!! He smiled again & moved on to the next vehicle!!

Hope this enforcement stays!
Surprisingly, I did not see any rigorous traffic-police-activity on the roads today. It did not look like the cops were flagging anyone down people, or performing random checks. In fact, it looked just like any other normal day. The cops that generally hide on the left-hand-side of Ashoka Pillar - (while going towards Jayanagar from Wilson Garden) - and catch people for talking on the phone, weren't there either.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:20   #68
BHPian

Who needs education? Out of some random 20 to 25 cars I managed to scan on my way to the office, some 25% were belted. However here comes the fun, most of the belted guys appeared to be "drivers" or "not the owner of the car". The rest were the so called "educated, white collared, corporate guys etc..."

At this point I am forced to ponder who needs education and have common sense!
sumathindra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:37   #69
mgh
BHPian

The cops have said that they will 'educate' first.
The fine currently is hundred to be revised to 500 (don't know from when).
Obviously, paid drivers will be more careful, as the fine is high for their means. Owners may feel like taking a chance!
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:38   #70
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while driving towards Harlur Road, i see ~80% of the cars with owners or drivers belted. The killer observation was when i cross the junction (for SJR apartments) there were a couple of cops standing on the sidelines stopping cars that did not had driver/co passenger belted, and what it seemed from distance was they were letting them go with just a warning rather then fine.

Hopefully soon the warnings will stop and fines will start to force everyone to wear seat-belt.

Seems like the cops while Kiddo and mother were returning paused them and confirmed when saw Kiddo also belted smiled.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 3rd February 2012 at 10:43.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

I noticed a massive seat belt checking drive at the 36th Cross/Kanakapura Road junction in Jayanagar today afternoon (around 1:30pm). Cabbies were not spared
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 13:06   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I also like the fact that my driver has no choice but to belt up cause the Altis creates beeping hell in the cabin if the front driver/passenger are not belted up.
One of my esteemed colleagues would always keep the belt-hook in the slot- so that there is no beeps. Then, he would sit on it.
animdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 14:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

I don't see the cops stopping anyone and checking if they're wearing seatbelts.

I hope the enforcement becomes stricter, and people actually wear seatbelts for more than just a few days in Feb.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 16:07   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

It needs a change of mindset. People must realise that belts are for their safety and not just law compliance. Maybe our courts can assist. In the UK in the 70's when belts were on their way to becoming mandatory, the courts made it a point to declare and reduce the awards to a third if belts were not worn. Simple logic - you contributed to the severity of the injury by not wearing belts.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote