Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th March 2006, 08:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Bangalore SI Dragged to Death

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanhe...6542006319.asp

The cops have decided to clamp down on drag racing around the MG Road area. In the process, a Scorpio dragged an SI who flagged it down who dies of head injuries

I know that some of our members hang out and watch these events. If you participate in street racing, enough has been said about Team-bhp''s views on this elsewhere. Admittedly, we do speed etc but we ensure that the road is clear and we are within our control and ensure safety to all.....but this is not the case in these road races where all is at stake - pride comes before other's safety.

There are drag events held every quarter - go there and participate

If you can help catch the culprit, please assist. In the meanwhile, team-bhp would like to convey its condolences to the family of the SI
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 08:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Shocking news to start the day. While our condolences are with the cop's family we should encourage any member who might know or know of this criminal to name him.

Killing a cop is an uncondonable offence. This will make things worse for others who dont drag or race on the streets but enjoy a good drive nevertheless.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 09:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very Very shocking!!.. About time that Bangalore develops a race-track where all these desires can find an outlet - lest it spills over to the streets where its bound to leads to more such unfortunate incidents!

Hope the culprit is caught soon and gets what he deserves!!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 11:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is unacceptable behaviour and whats worse is that the criminal element will unfairly be linked to car enthusiasts & racing enthusiasts.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 11:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

just so someone could have some fun ? pathetic. Be real careful when u 'race' on public roads - even when its some provocation when someone overtakes you. Its very difficult to live with blood on your hands, and its impossible to imagine what it must be for the SI's family.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 11:40   #6
BANNED

Man, incidents like these really make me sad because people then paint all auto enthusiasts with the same brush. Killing a cop, or for that matter anyone, is just a sick thing to do. Running away is even worse. Maybe the SI could have been saved if he wasn't dragged.

Hope they catch the culprit and make him pay.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 11:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

on saturday night i too had a similar problem ...around 11pm there was this blue scorpio crde with ka-06 ...was being driven by a fool ...dunno what happened ..mabbe he was offended by my exhaust note that he started blocking me and was driving very rashly ...i just ignored him ....and then again on teh ring road he caught up with me ....and was trying to race me at 120 .....so i just slowed down to which he put his hand out and challenged me to go ahead of him ...hahaha ...what a moron ...i just ignored him ...and whenever i used to get behind him ...he used to downshift and just cut across the traffic ....he follwed me all teh way till indiranagar aand then when i parked the car he tooka U-turn on a one way road and then sped away ...my friends were too scared to get down from the car

bangalore has a lot of such morons ....in that way mumbai is anytime better ...here people are always in race mode even on public roads ....
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 11:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

from what i read it was not the person who was dragging or racing hit him ...but a scorpio that jumped siganl at manipal hospital was stopped here for inspection and he avoid this in this manner ....it could be thevies ,smugglers,dacoits,terriorists ..etc ...
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 11:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

He didnt jump signal. He evaded a checkpost. This is in today's newspaper, u can read it there. The scorpio was two cars behind at the checkpost and when the police were allowing the first car to go through, this guy pushed his way through, hitting the SI in the process.

I seriously believe the Bangalore traffic police doesnt have the sting in it, thats why they are not able to control traffic. The other day i saw an autorickshaw jump the red light on the intermediate ring road, and all that the cop did was shout at him.

By the way, its a bit surprising that the other cops there were not able to take down the scorpio's number! But they have been able to make a sketch of the driver!!!

Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 12:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sincere condolences to the SI's family.........this is really sad! Guys like this should get a 15 year term at least if caught. They have no respect for a human life!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 17:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

abt checkposts ...do teh police know about what they are doing !!!the bangalore traffic police had put barricades on MG road and there was no warning sign .....saw a lot of vehicles swerving to avoid those barriers.....and one poor driver in an esteem had to do a colin mcrae to avoid those barriers only to be caught by the cops for RASH DRIVING !!!!! ....i was there for about 1 hour watching all this
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 17:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
He didnt jump signal. He evaded a checkpost. This is in today's newspaper, u can read it there. The scorpio was two cars behind at the checkpost and when the police were allowing the first car to go through, this guy pushed his way through, hitting the SI in the process.

I seriously believe the Bangalore traffic police doesnt have the sting in it, thats why they are not able to control traffic. The other day i saw an autorickshaw jump the red light on the intermediate ring road, and all that the cop did was shout at him.

By the way, its a bit surprising that the other cops there were not able to take down the scorpio's number! But they have been able to make a sketch of the driver!!!

Amitoj
Thats exactly what i thought when I read the writeups in the TOI today. How could something as simple as a REG No. not get noted. A simple note of which RTO could yield results upon investigation. Black Scorpio, RTO specific is a better lead to follow than releasing a sketch of the suspect !
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 17:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
the bangalore traffic police had put barricades on MG road and there was no warning sign
Yessssss! They should put up warning signs before the barricades saying "We are checking papers up ahead. Feel free to make a U Turn now!"
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 18:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Unscientific placement of barricades is a problem, anywhere. If anyone has seen the Hi-Tech city - Durgam Cheruvu stretch in Hyderabad of late they will know what I mean. The one at the Hi-Tech signal end causes massive traffic jams in the mornings. While the one at the cheruvu end is even worse. Recently some wise nut decided that the barricade can be placed to close down the single lane of the road going down to the cheruvu. Worse, the road here is a steep decline with sharp bends a-la ghat-sections here and the barricade is placed just at such a turn closing down the whole of the lane. Thus unsuspecting people do a massive swerve go into the opposite lane at high speed and then again try to get back into their lane after the barricade. All these at this twisty road.

@Amitoj: They do not need to put in a notice saying take a U-turn... but they need to give adequate visual warning. Either red light on the barricades or glowing tapes... anything that gives you enough time to take control measures. If a barricade jumps out at you from the darkness out of nowhere it can get tricky.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 18:41   #15
BHPian

This is really sad. May the SI's soul rest in peace....

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
abt checkposts ...do teh police know about what they are doing !!!the bangalore traffic police had put barricades on MG road and there was no warning sign .....saw a lot of vehicles swerving to avoid those barriers.....and one poor driver in an esteem had to do a colin mcrae to avoid those barriers only to be caught by the cops for RASH DRIVING !!!!! ....i was there for about 1 hour watching all this
Satya - If you follow city speed limits no need to do a colin mcrae until a biker or autowala jumps in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj

Amitoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Thats exactly what i thought when I read the writeups in the TOI today. How could something as simple as a REG No. not get noted. A simple note of which RTO could yield results upon investigation. Black Scorpio, RTO specific is a better lead to follow than releasing a sketch of the suspect !
s0uljah , Amitoj - I second your words. Other cop's able to visualize the guy for a sketch but not the number shows their irresponsibility. We should be ashamed of our cop's.

If we go to them for anything they tell us "Nothing can be done without vehicle number......" I wonder how these cop's will face their superior's... They should get some kind of punishment for their irresponsibility.
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote