Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd January 2012, 13:35   #1
BHPian

Default Idle ramblings due to extreme anger? About a hit-and-run with an old lady

@Mods: If the following post is not per forum norms please delete or move as you find appropriate. Thanks.

Today folks I saw an incident which is especially relevant for those of us in the community -TBhp and the wider community who have children who have started driving or are about to do so.

I was driving towards DPS, Mathura Road to get my son who was appearing in some test. My mother was accompanying me in the car. Opposite Defence colony in my rear view mirror I saw a light blue coloured Manza being driven so fast that it was downright dangerous. The driver took the slip road in the BRT lane. By this time the driver was driving ahead of me. An old lady, obviously not very alert and agile due to her advanced years was about to step on to the zebra crossing. This fool who was driving the Manza almost literally hit her - she in all likelihood got a light blow to her arm and a possible fatality was averted. The poor woman who was obviously not from a well to do background, cried out in pain holding her arm. Thanks to whatever good deeds she had done she was saved from major physical harm. I made sure to ensure she was functionally mobile and then I chased the Manza.

If it were not for forum rules of conduct I only have expletives to refer to the cretin who was driving the Manza. I pulled up alongside him and signalled him to stop. I shouted at him "stop you hit an old woman". By this time another motorist who had witnessed this also joined me in the chase. We finally cornered the Manza. The driver of the Manza was a young man of 20, son of a retired Railways official. Now he was literally crying that the old lady was at fault. The other driver who helped me chase this vehicle, got furious at this and was about to hit the kid. I stopped him from doing so. I confirmed from the other driver that the old lady was saved. It was then my mother intervened and said talk to this boy's father since no major harm was done and let him go.

Why have I related this story? How much are we at TBhp dwelling on responsible driving by ourselves and our family members, especially our young ones who have started driving or are about to do so? This is not just about following the law. Are we impressing on them the need to be more considerate and compassionate topwards the rest of the road users, especially those not as fortunate as us.

My rambings are over. I thank you for taking the time to read this.
RS_DEL is offline   (31) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 13:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Idle ramblings due to extreme anger?

Kudos on a deed well done. Like someone once said that the loosest nut in a vehicle is the one connecting the steering to the accelerator and this idiot just proved it. There really is no solution for morons. To quote the movie, Everyone says "I'm fine"
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 15:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Idle ramblings due to extreme anger? About a hit-and-run with an old lady

So did you talk to that guys father? This is such a common occurrence on delhi roads. Hundreds of such Morons are there on the road who don't even have an IQ of more than 100.

I sincerely believe its the parents at fault here. They should be aware of the activities of there children. Just handing over the car keys, a cell phone and a plastic card is not enough to ensure that the kid will drive responsibly. I really don't understand the parents here. There is a very well known public school opposite my house. And last time I checked a school going kid would be underage to drive ( except maybe a very small % of class 12th students). But you just need to take a look at them. Every known rule is broken in the afternoon when the school closes. Tricks and stunts with cars and bikes, scooters running at 80 kmph on interior residential roads. Its such a menace. These kids no doubt also drive extremely rash on the main roads too.
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 15:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Idle ramblings due to extreme anger? About a hit-and-run with an old lady

Thanks for posting this. Yesterday I was crossing a road near where I live: a beautiful 6-laner that was built during the youth CWG in Pune. It is perfect in every respect except of course the people driving on it.

So anyway- I was crossing the road at the designated zebra crossing and an old gentleman was a little ahead of me. I looked to our left and there was this black Jetta bearing down with no intention of slowing down. I could have made it easily but not the old man. I stepped up parallel to the gent and held my hand to the approaching Jetta. To his credit he realised what was going on and swerved right to avoid hitting both of us.

I honestly believe if I hadn't done what I did that Jetta would have mowed down the old man and then screamed that he was in the right. Agreed that zebra crossings have no meaning in this country but is there no compassion left either?

@drmohitg- while you are no doubt correct, each and every driver has to take responsibility for their own actions. Just because someone was beaten by his dad when he was a kid and has a lot of anger inside him doesn;t give him the right to speed around town mowing down people!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:05   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@drmohitg- while you are no doubt correct, each and every driver has to take responsibility for their own actions. Just because someone was beaten by his dad when he was a kid and has a lot of anger inside him doesn;t give him the right to speed around town mowing down people!
When did I say that buddy? Ofcourse once you are behind the wheels then its your sole responsibility to see that you drive safe. In my post above I was just mentioning that sometimes parents should take a greater interest in there kids before giving them a car/bike. youngsters tend to show off and do not understand the stakes involved. For instance I blame Azharudin equally for his son's sad demise.

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd January 2012 at 16:07.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:15   #6
Zed
BHPian

Sadly, there is no quick fix for these problems and the solutions lie with the next generation of road users. One can only hope that they learn from the mess that they have inherited. Educational institutions, parents \ guardians, media and mass entertainment channels - can all be agents that can bring about a positive change.
Parents need to lead by example. In most cases, they are the ones that set the benchmark pretty low for generation next, specially when it comes to driving.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

@Mohit- I didn't say you said that, was just giving a random example of someone who may use a reason like that in justification

RS_Del said that the guy he chased down was around 20, and I am assuming that he was of age and carried a valid license. I fully agree with you on the issue of minors riding or driving with their parent's consent. Those parents are completely responsible. But when the driver is of age and qualified to drive, there is nobody to pin responsibility on except him.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

If people are crossing at the zebra crossings, then one should slow down and if required even stop.
People are or have become
1.Indifferent
2.Inspired by the driving stunts in movies
3.Inspired by races
4. In most cases are drunk.

Coming to the topic of parents taking responsibility.

I have a analogy.
If parents think they are earning money and fulfilling what their kids need,completes their responsibility, then there is no difference between stray dogs and their kids.
What does a stray dog do ? It has its own food source or a home which gives it food usually the leftovers from last nights dinner. It visits this place at the correct time to eat and rest of the day it creates all ruckus it wants and comes back to the vicinity to sleep. Even in this comparison stray dogs are better off.

I know the comparison is very strong, but that's the fact these days. No one has time like the old days to talk to their kids and guide them etc.

Last edited by F150 : 22nd January 2012 at 16:39.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

We have to start making this desire to "have accelerator, will floor" tendency and drive at the limit all the time very very uncool socially. An automobile is a huge responsibility, and we should aggressively promote enjoying it in a mature way. Losing it when people overtake you, driving way faster than everyone around AND expecting folks to "get out of the way" etc are signs of puerile attitude issues that need reining in, and a lot of accidents result from this.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:15   #10
Mik
BHPian

This is a very common occurrence. I am actually surprised that on being cornered, the guy didn't say "jaanta nahi mai Kaunnn hooo"
While on the topic of school children driving around like maniacs, i must share something that i have been planning for sometime now.
Way back in 06 when we started our careers our company had got a training organized on "safe driving" by a heavy set elderly gentleman. He gave a lot of youtube examples and case studies and till date, i try to keep incorporating his tips. On the same lines, i am planning to create a similar presentation with real life examples/youtube vids, defensive riding techniques and some basic traffic signals. This, i am thinking of presenting in schools for free. Any pointers on what kind of content and approach i should be having would be welcome.
Mik is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:43   #11
BHPian

I thank all of you good people for reading this post.

I for one hope my wife and I are able to impart the values I have referred to in this post, to our children.

One mistake I made today was not calling the cops but then it would have been hard to trace the victim since I had moved from the scene giving chase to the offending motorist.

I should have actually stopped there and called the cops. God forbid I have to witness such an incident ever again, next time I will for sure rope in law enforcement. Such cretins need to face the consequences of their actions in the legal system.
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally would blame the government.

Ultimately, the way I have seen things work abroad is that there is light touch regulation of clear cut rules. You break them, and the law comes down on you with a hammer. That unfortunately is the only way you make a whole generation learn.

My oft quoted example is of being challaned while cycling across an empty intersection the wrong way in heidelberg germany - a town of 1.5L people.(yes germany has clear rules on how cyclists make their way around an intersection!!). I was the only cyclist trying to weasel my way out by claiming student/intern status and no money etc - other Germans when making the same mistake,apologised,paid & moved on w/o drama. Finally I scrounged together every penny on my person to pay the 15EUR fine. That lesson trumped 100 bits of gyan from everywhere else.

Its just the way our system works - we Indians litter and break queues in india, and once abroad, behave just as law abiding as anyone else.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:03   #13
BHPian

Kudos to you, RS_DEL. I would say teaching the offender a lesson and making him realize the gravity of the situation is enough even if you had not called up the cops.

By the way, did you talk with the kid's dad? And what was his reply?
callvvijay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So did you talk to that guys father? This is such a common occurrence on delhi roads. Hundreds of such Morons are there on the road who don't even have an IQ of more than 100.

I sincerely believe its the parents at fault here. They should be aware of the activities of there children. Just handing over the car keys, a cell phone and a plastic card is not enough to ensure that the kid will drive responsibly. I really don't understand the parents here. There is a very well known public school opposite my house. And last time I checked a school going kid would be underage to drive ( except maybe a very small % of class 12th students). But you just need to take a look at them. Every known rule is broken in the afternoon when the school closes. Tricks and stunts with cars and bikes, scooters running at 80 kmph on interior residential roads. Its such a menace. These kids no doubt also drive extremely rash on the main roads too.
Exactly. I still remember when i was 15 how my dad gave me a tight slap in his office, when he got to know that i drove the car being underage, even though i had just moved it 15 metres away from the actual place. Parents these days very easily give in to the demands of the children.

I too am located near a school and when the school closes, its impossible to reverse the car to park it up your ramp because these two-wheeler kids don't even wait for the car to reverse, they will try their best to make a zig-zag way to move ahead before the reversing car. One day these 2 boys banged into my car and when i shouted and asked them if they had licence, one of them asks me to mind my own business, while the other tried to hit me with the helmet. I had to beat both of the kids down and call their parents. They literally begged to not hand over the boys to the police, while the boys had absolutely no realization of their mistake. The worst part is that the boys had been permitted by parents to ride bike without licence

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2012 at 10:53. Reason: Quoted member is not comfortable with the schools list & his location on a public forum. Thanks
ramneek009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 07:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Idle ramblings due to extreme anger? About a hit-and-run with an old lady

This is the sad state of affairs on the roads these days. No compassion while driving at all. Can see a lot of vehicles being driven like F1 races and closely brushing off pedestrians/cars. These guys dont stop to introspect what they have done.

@RS_Del
You did a good thing by cornering the guy who almost killed an old lady but you forgot that you too had an old lady in you car and any illegal means of trying to stop the Manza guy would have had disastrous results. In such situations wouldnt the best thing to do was to note the Manza number plates and inform the nearest traffic official. Let the law take it from there so that someone else would have been saved by that maniac Manza driver.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote