Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st December 2012, 13:31   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
While I enjoyed the drive, point to be noted was, It took only 20 minutes extra than the 'other' road.
Great observation, always wanted to have the latest info about this. How much did you save in toll? We do have to pay toll everywhere, there is no concept of a free road anymore, is there?

As a parting shot I hope all the morons (who want to overspeed and risk lives and limb) stick to the 'other' road so that we can continue to use the old highway.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 14:03   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Great observation, always wanted to have the latest info about this. How much did you save in toll? We do have to pay toll everywhere, there is no concept of a free road anymore, is there?

As a parting shot I hope all the morons (who want to overspeed and risk lives and limb) stick to the 'other' road so that we can continue to use the old highway.
Well the toll is 86 rupees if you pay for full 100% on the first toll post itself. But if you decide to pay at each toll post (for 30% sections), the total comes to 78. As usual, on old highway, the so called locals get away without paying tolls.

I know expressway has earned a bad name for itself, largely because of undisciplined drivers killing people, but still think the drive is less tiring on expressway than old highway. On old highway, all kinds of vehicles doing all kinds speeds keeps one on his/her toes. This alertness helps in avoiding accidents but at the same time the journey becomes too tiring. You feel exhausted at the end of journey.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 14:56   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

I paid Rs 26/- for the panvel- khopoli stretch.
Ghat section is free for all. After that, I was not asked to pay any. Being a MH 14 does help sometimes ;-).
Cheers,
Abhijeet
coriollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 18:45   #139
BHPian

Quote:
I paid Rs 26/- for the panvel- khopoli stretch.
Ghat section is free for all. After that, I was not asked to pay any. Being a MH 14 does help sometimes ;-).
Cheers,
Abhijeet
Did you just pass through or wave at the toll booth guys? I have heard people associated with certain party do this waving part to avoid tolls .
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 10:23   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Did you just pass through or wave at the toll booth guys? I have heard people associated with certain party do this waving part to avoid tolls .
Buddy,
I'm not associated with any party at all.. Period.
But living through current scenario, may prompt me to start my own.

I do not wave at the booth.. they just let me pass. If ever stopped, I would readily pay the amount.

Cheers,
Abhijeet.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:29   #141
BHPian

Default Re: Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway - Review needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The food malls are blatantly overcharging for almost anything.
Rs. 30 for 2 slices of bread butter :(
aviraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 15:13   #142
BHPian

Default Re: Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway - Review needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Rs. 30 for 2 slices of bread butter :(
Rs 20/- for literally 2 sips of pathetic brown water sold as TEA.

Rs 20/- for Samosa/Dabeli.(Mind you..They are made fresh every week)
RS 50/- for Kanda Bhaji...
List goes on and on.

1st there is a hefty toll, then there is No or very little safety to be followed by monotonous, boring drive, which compels you to dart into the 'food' Malls.
But they do shake you off from your slumber, don't they? That's when you see the right side of the Menu.

I take a thermos flask filled with great home made coffee with me while driving down to Mumbai.

Cheers,
Abhijeet.
Old 16th January 2013, 16:54   #143
BHPian

The Govt is proposing a separate driving license for the expressway. among other things. At least on the face of it, it sounds an unreasonable measure.

Any opinions?

News articles on this:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...road-accidents

http://maharashtratimes.indiatimes.c...w/18039637.cms
mayuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 17:29   #144
BHPian

why don't they propose a high speed train corridor from Mumbai to Pune. That should take care of half of the worries.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 23:37   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
why don't they propose a high speed train corridor from Mumbai to Pune. That should take care of half of the worries.
I think the issue would be the ghat sections, restricting speed limits and braking requirements. Even if they were to resolve, our infrastructure development
is a re-active step, rather than a pro-active one. I really wish, what you say comes true.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 23:45   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1st there is a hefty toll, then there is No or very little safety to be followed by monotonous, boring drive, which compels you to dart into the 'food' Malls.
I take a thermos flask filled with great home made coffee with me while driving down to Mumbai.
I feel it might be a good idea to stop at McDonalds Kalamboli and again stop at some restaurant at Wakar Pune. I am sure a tummy-full at McDonalds would carry us till Pune which is around 2 hrs drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the issue would be the ghat sections, restricting speed limits and braking requirements. Even if they were to resolve, our infrastructure development
is a re-active step, rather than a pro-active one. I really wish, what you say comes true.
Even if a high speed corridor is launched, it would become a "suburban" corridor over a period of time. Indian decision makers are not "matured" enough to implement a High speed corridor in india.

Forget Mumbai Pune (Ghats).. Even a Bangalore Chennai / Chennai - Coimbatore does not have a non stop Train service.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 00:07   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Even if a high speed corridor is launched, it would become a "suburban" corridor over a period of time. Indian decision makers are not "matured" enough to implement a High speed corridor in india.

Forget Mumbai Pune (Ghats).. Even a Bangalore Chennai / Chennai - Coimbatore does not have a non stop Train service.
Very true! A separate high speed corridor is difficult even from a land acquisition point of view and if the current section is to be upgraded it wont be permitted on account of population density alongside the tracks. (Thanks to the suburban network).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 09:37   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very true! A separate high speed corridor is difficult even from a land acquisition point of view and if the current section is to be upgraded it wont be permitted on account of population density alongside the tracks. (Thanks to the suburban network).
Do you know a good place to start? The GQ. I think it was a missed opportunity where the land acquired for the GQ could have been instead used for a high speed train corridor quadrilateral with a highway running alongside.
But can a high speed train track not be built alongside the GQ or maybe on/ elevated over the median? Think about it! No breaks in the dividers, no people running across the road

A single track rail with possibility to switch at stations should be workable. But then the rail tracks will be used for early morning duties by our respected population.

Last edited by selfdrive : 17th January 2013 at 09:41.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 10:41   #149
BHPian

Quote:
I feel it might be a good idea to stop at McDonald's Kalamboli and again stop at some restaurant at Wakar Pune. I am sure a tummy-full at McDonald's would carry us till Pune which is around 2 hrs drive
I am not a big fan of McDonald's. As it is, it is very difficult to do a 'Take Away' at Kalamboli's outlet.

The design of the drive-way is such that, it tests your maneuvering skills to the fullest. And if you go for the dine-in option, you tend up consuming more than required and wasting precious time too.

So a coffee/Tea in a Thermos Flask does the trick for me.
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 15:20   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Do you know a good place to start? The GQ. I think it was a missed opportunity where the land acquired for the GQ could have been instead used for a high speed train corridor quadrilateral with a highway running alongside.
But can a high speed train track not be built alongside the GQ or maybe on/ elevated over the median?
Technically Yes, but unfortunately our decision makers (Railways / Govt / Whoever) is not that broad-minded. Look at the TGV between London and Paris.

Example: Take a look at Shatabdi between Chennai and Bangalore. It stops (used to) at Arakonam(Railway center), Kadpadi(Eye Hospital), Jolarpet(connetivity from SAlem) before reaching Bangalore. Shatabdi takes 5 hours to reach Bangalore from Chennai. Heck, I have done Chennai Bangalore in my Bullet motorcycle, following all traffic rules, adhering to speed limits etc in 5/5.5 hours flat. 60 kmph for a super fast train is totally unjustified.

Similar is/would be the case with Pune Mumbai corridor.

I agree with you. Let there be 100 trains for the common man, stopping at all stations. Let there be just 1 high speed train for the "uncommon" man.

Quote:
I am not a big fan of McDonald's. As it is, it is very difficult to do a 'Take Away' at Kalamboli's outlet.

The design of the drive-way is such that, it tests your maneuvering skills to the fullest. And if you go for the dine-in option, you tend up consuming more than required and wasting precious time too.

So a coffee/Tea in a Thermos Flask does the trick for me.
Oh Really ? I am sorry i did not know that. I have never driven into Kalamboli McDonalds ever. Then Carrying a thermos flask full of home made beverage is the best luxury we can have.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote