Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th August 2015, 11:05   #376
BHPian

Default Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

I have a flight to catch 16th early morning from Mumbai. What should be my options?
My flight is at 4 AM from Mumbai, so should I start by 7 PM previous night? Will that be sufficient?
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 11:26   #377
BHPian

Take the Intercity Express which leaves Pune in the evening. You can book A/C chair car from Pune to Mumbai. Alight at Dadar and take a cab to the airport. If you are in Dadar by 10-30 at least then it should be a very cool time with lots of time on hand. In fact you can also have a sumptuous dinner in Andheri perhaps before hitting the CSIA.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 12:25   #378
BHPian

I had been to Mumbai (from Pune) yesterday and here is what I want to share about the Expressway situation regarding traffic in ghat. All 3 lanes going towards Mumbai just before Khandala tunnel are closed for rock reinforcement purposes. The traffic is stopped either way for an interval of 15 - 20 mins and is traffic in each direction is allowed to flock the 3 lanes that go towards Pune. I can imagine the situation during the weekend. Here is what I feel. While coming from Pune, take the Lonavla exit on the expressway (near hotel Neeta) and go via the old Mumbai Pune road through Tiger valley till that road hits the e-way again. While returning back, I am still not sure whether can we temporarily take the old highway (wrong side) over Amrutanjan bridge.
Wagon R Rocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 13:03   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon R Rocks! View Post
While coming from Pune, take the Lonavla exit on the expressway (near hotel Neeta) and go via the old Mumbai Pune road through Tiger valley till that road hits the e-way again. While returning back, I am still not sure whether can we temporarily take the old highway (wrong side) over Amrutanjan bridge.
Are you certain that the roads inside Lonavla are not already packed like sardines with cars from Pune and Bombay on the weekends? Remember it is monsoon season.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 14:15   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Are you certain that the roads inside Lonavla are not already packed like sardines with cars from Pune and Bombay on the weekends? Remember it is monsoon season.
I happened to travel couple of times through the expressway over the weekend.
The key is, heavy vehicles do not pass through Lonavala town. No matter what number of cars, the resulting congestion can't match the chaos that gathers on expressway with all trucks and Volvo. In any case, all light vehicles were diverted to go inside of Lonavala town in the direction of Pune - Mumbai.
I did not experience any problem while passing through town.
ameyawaghmare is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 14:30   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
In any case, all light vehicles were diverted to go inside of Lonavala town in the direction of Pune - Mumbai.
I did not experience any problem while passing through town.
Ameya, crisp update indeed.

Need a few inputs from you. I need to drive down from Pune to Mumbai for a 9 am meeting in Thane tomorrow. I have 2 options :
1) Leave tonite @ 9 pm and reach around midnight.[ Accomodation is not an issue in Mumbai for me]
2) Leave tomorrow early morning @ 5 am .

Pls suggest which takes less travel time.

Also, just need to know , once cars are diverted from e-way to old NH4 , HOW MANY KMs do one need to travel on old NH4 ( via lonavala town etc) till you merge back on e-way again . And whats the merging point name ? It it well marked ?

Thanks in advance.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 14:58   #382
Senior - BHPian

Pune-ites planning air travel outbound Mumbai airport please note that due to the terror threat till Independence Day, there is massive queues at most airports depending upon the time of day.

Please factor this in as well!
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 15:35   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Ameya, crisp update indeed.

Need a few inputs from you. I need to drive down from Pune to Mumbai for a 9 am meeting in Thane tomorrow. I have 2 options :
1) Leave tonite @ 9 pm and reach around midnight.[ Accomodation is not an issue in Mumbai for me]
2) Leave tomorrow early morning @ 5 am .

Pls suggest which takes less travel time.

Also, just need to know , once cars are diverted from e-way to old NH4 , HOW MANY KMs do one need to travel on old NH4 ( via lonavala town etc) till you merge back on e-way again . And whats the merging point name ? It it well marked ?

Thanks in advance.
Option 2) should work. The key is, be sure to take the first Lonavala exit from the eWay and go via the town. Even if LCVs are allowed on the expressway, you would be benefited going through the town.

Reason:
i) No buses/trailers/large trucks are allowed inside the town. In the morning when you would cross around 6 AM, Lonavala town would be deserted whereas one can expect a lot of large vehicles choking up the eWay going in parallel.
ii) The point where repair work is taking place is right near the Khandala tunnel. This point can be bypassed by taking the route through Lonavala town. It's a pure mess at the point where repair work is going on. You can avoid this bottleneck easily by taking the alternative route.

Once you take the old route, you have to simply go as the road goes. There is a small left marked for Mumbai right after L and T as well as ICICI learning center. There is no way you would miss this signboard but still watch out. The old highway merges on to the expressway so you do not have to worry about any signboards after this point. You'll reach that point on the expressway where onward it is a downhill slope and traffic becomes fast moving.

Hope this helped. The traffic that you would encounter post-Turbhe should be a concern as you would pass during peak traffic hours!
Old 13th August 2015, 16:01   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
Option 2) should work.
Once you take the old route, you have to simply go as the road goes.

Hope this helped.
Indeed this has helped a lot. Many thanks.

Most probably, I will cover it today night only. Will the Lonavala town road be normal traffic around 9-10 PM ?

Hope I will not miss the Mumbai turn signage in night / poor town light condition.

btw, how is the road condition in this local lonavala town stretch ?
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 16:17   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Will the Lonavala town road be normal traffic around 9-10 PM ?

btw, how is the road condition in this local lonavala town stretch ?
To answer first question, I see nothing worrisome. It is only on weekends that large scale jams occur inside town.

For the second question, the roads average from good to great. No such major potholes or so to worry about. A few images that I had with me over the last weekend drive.

The mess found in Mumbai - Pune direction near the repair spot.
Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img_20150808_1123192191.jpg

A small section inside Lonavala town
Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img_20150802_0810155761.jpg

Last edited by ameyawaghmare : 13th August 2015 at 16:18. Reason: Image Description
Old 13th August 2015, 17:31   #386
Senior - BHPian

Are they charging toll, when there is a traffic jam ahead?
Someone told me if the road gets blocked, then no toll is charged.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 20:28   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I was charged 117/- toll across all my journeys. That's the same as Pune - Lonavala toll.
ameyawaghmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 21:15   #388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Didn't know about this rule (?). Went to Chakan today and back to Mumbai now. Road was clean and no traffic congestion.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 06:50   #389
Team-BHP Support

Default Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

^^Yes. Last Friday I got stuck in Lonavala town where eway traffic had been diverted and was then redirected back to the eway, losing 2 hours in the process. They only issued a 117/- toll ticket at Talegaon and it was valid all the way through to Mumbai. Nice gesture by the authorities.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 13:33   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Didn't know about this rule (?). Went to Chakan today and back to Mumbai now. Road was clean and no traffic congestion.
Well the problem is if you pay the toll and then get stuck further ahead, then you have paid money and also wasted time.

In that case they should issue refund as well. But how do they validate that someone was stuck in traffic? That is a problem to solve.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote