Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th February 2012, 10:46   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I'm going to go off on a wing and say that the Mumbai-Pune expressway is THE best road ever constructed in this part of the world and was way before its time when it was opened up for use more than 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
IMHO that crown is now with Baroda-Ahemdabad expressway.

Road quality and lance discipline is better as compared to Pune-Mumbai expressway. I have yet to come across a bike riding in opposite direction on that expressway. It does have a natural advantage (I.e. no Ghat section).
Both roads alright there are many which are equally good or shed better.

1. Kagal - Hubli Section of NH4 in Karnataka is very good.
2. ECR or East Coat road from Chennai to Puducherry is equally good.

and there could be many more sections that must be very good and safe to drive.

YCEW strong point is access control and bad point is amount of traffic. It is already seen carrying more traffic than its designed capacity quite frequently..
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 16:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
It is already seen carrying more traffic than its designed capacity quite frequently..
What is the designed capacity for the expressway?

Other than the ghat sections because of the slow moving over loaded trucks i have not encountered any traffic on the expressway anytime. So was not clear with the above statement.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 00:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

Both of these roads do not offer an apple to apple comparison w.r.t. to the expressway. The NH4 has no access restrictions and the ECR is a single carriageway and in my books is the king of fatal roads.

The only road that can be compared to the expressway is the NE1, Baroda - Ahmedabad expressway. It is far superior to the expressway in tems of the quality of the road surface, the signage and the design of the entry and exit ramps. Has similar access control and compliance is better too. The only place where it loses marks is in the fact that it has two lanes on either side compared to the three on the YRC expressway.

Quote:
Both roads alright there are many which are equally good or shed better.

1. Kagal - Hubli Section of NH4 in Karnataka is very good.
2. ECR or East Coat road from Chennai to Puducherry is equally good.

and there could be many more sections that must be very good and safe to drive.

YCEW strong point is access control and bad point is amount of traffic. It is already seen carrying more traffic than its designed capacity quite frequently..

Last edited by khoj : 25th February 2012 at 00:35.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 17:41   #64
BHPian

Bad driver or worse passengers, spotted a couple sitting in the boot space of Santro (or Alto) with the hatch open (on the expressway)

When I first saw this car, I was thinking that there is some shooting going on but when we got near to the car I was shocked! The car was easily doing 60+ Kmph
Adi_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 08:33   #65
BHPian

My 2 cents on this. I believe if the authorities tighten the rules by following the below practices, it should help a lot-

1. Curb the illegal U-Turns on the entire stretch. I've seen vehicles with VIP number plates taking U-Turns on the EW.

2. Penalize truck drivers (at the Tolls) for not having visible number plates, for non-functional reflectors and tail lamps and hogging up the 1st lane.

3. People may say that 80km/h is too low a speed limit and their car is capable of doing 2x that limit and I agree on that. But, a point worth considering is that the EW is being used by all segments of vehicles. God forbid if something happens in a fraction of a second, due to some other vehicle, its a danger to both parties. So, as quoted by Nandu sir, its best to stick to limits and not do such insane speeds. We're not on Autobahns guys.
yogeshnagpal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 11:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
People may say that 80km/h is too low a speed limit and their car is capable of doing 2x that limit and I agree on that. But, a point worth considering is that the EW is being used by all segments of vehicles. God forbid if something happens in a fraction of a second, due to some other vehicle, its a danger to both parties. So, as quoted by Nandu sir, its best to stick to limits and not do such insane speeds. We're not on Autobahns guys.
How about lane wise speed limits.The BMW/Audi Guy should not be penalized to do 80 kmph because a Santro / 800 / Alto is safe at that speed.

I would prefer something like:

upto 40 kmph on the left most lane - Trucks, Tractors et all
upto 80kmph on the middle lane - All Ordinary vehicles
upto 120kmph on he rightmost lane - Innovas, Audis-BMWs et all

I own a santro and just because my santro is safe at speeds of 80kmph i do not see a logic why an audi should do 80kmph.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 11:47   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
How about lane wise speed limits.The BMW/Audi Guy should not be penalized to do 80 kmph because a Santro / 800 / Alto is safe at that speed.

I would prefer something like:

upto 40 kmph on the left most lane - Trucks, Tractors et all
upto 80kmph on the middle lane - All Ordinary vehicles
upto 120kmph on he rightmost lane - Innovas, Audis-BMWs et all

I own a santro and just because my santro is safe at speeds of 80kmph i do not see a logic why an audi should do 80kmph.
And who is the authority to decide exactly which car is safe at which speed? Or which driver is safe at which speed?
Is speed the only concern here? Or should factors like braking action, surface condition, driver reaction, visibility conditions should also be used to decide limit speeds?

How to prevent slower vehicles from occupying faster lanes? Trucks crawl at 20kmph overtaking each other on ghats, how to patrol and prevent this?

Higher speeds are not any solution at all. If you need to speed please use a speedway like the gurgaon track.

An expressway is designed for fast efficient mass movement of traffic and if the average speed of traffic is 60kmph from end to end without snags then the job is done!
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 16:26   #68
BHPian

When the bigger vehicles come downwards, I have seen many a times they collide with smaller vehicles (say a stoppage due to a accident). The speeds are never above 30 kmph. Different speed for difft vehicles is not a solution. It is the capacity of the driver and how well one is able to drive for which there is no yardstick. One gets a licence by various means. How one is able to know that the guy driving next to you or opposite to you is good? It is a relative factor.
gururaj r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 16:59   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I have a question. When I enter the Pune Mumbai expressway from the Pune side, the surface of the road from the start to the first toll booth gives small vertical oscillations to all occupants of the car. This phenomenon remains to a very small extent upto Lonavala and then disappears. Have you experienced this? If so, please share your thoughts, like which vehicle, what speed etc. The speed at which this happened with me was between 100 and 140 kmph.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 16:39   #70
BHPian

Yes, I've experienced this before, and most recently this past weekend.

In fact, one can see the ripples in the concrete very distinctly, especially on the curves just after the first Lonavala exit, with all those newly built / under-construction bungalows on the left.

I'm guessing the reason is the range of temperatures that the concrete sees at this time of the year during the course of the day ... it is unseasonably hot during the day and cools a fair bit at night.

Speed is 100-110 kmph.

I've felt it in both my vehicles.
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 17:05   #71
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

I was using this road last week. Left Mumbai at 11 Pm on sunday. There were trucks in all four lanes through out. Earlier it was scene during lonavala patch.

But now most of trucker try to occupy second last lane instead of last lane adding to problem. Most of travel bus occupy fasted lane due to their speed higher than truck leaving almost no lane for cars.

Overall drive experience was pathetic.
idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 18:25   #72
BHPian

Report of a horrible accident on eway:
Mumbai-Pune Expressway: 27 people from a marriage party killed in road accident - Moneylife Personal Finance site and magazine

Don't know how feasible it is to enforce retro-reflector on all sides of the bus.
mayuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 10:34   #73
BHPian

I understand there is some talk of widening the expressway, especially along the Bhor Ghat stretch. I find it amazing that each time there is talk of traffic density, the solution seems to be in widening or extending the road. Rather than that, a faster and cheaper solution might be to enforce traffic rules. Enfore lane discipline for one. The expressway is designed for a maximum speed of 100 kmph. Allow that, but after that have speed traps. Make sure heavy traffic drives in the left lane.

But its unlikely that the rules would be rationalized and enforced rather than increasing the width of the road. After all, widening the road leads to so much more economic activity.
satrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 10:52   #74
BHPian

Last time we (me and my wife) were travelling on this road, one thing we noticed on almost all heavy vehicles was sheer lack of reflectors on the back side. Forget reflectors, many of them (40%) didn't even have proper tail lights!

My wife, who works with an insurance company, was quick to add that as per statistics, most of the accidents occur because a vehicle right behind another one couldn't notice the movement in the front in time, which ultimately boils down to lack of proper warning signals, leading to a crash. Just think how many precious lives can be saved simply by implementing the law or putting warning materials like reflectors, on the back side of your vehicles.

But who will bell the cat? Who will force the truckers to part with a HUGE sum of 50 rupees and buy a pair of reflectors to put them on the back of their trucks. The cops are busy counting notes on the hill-side cabins of Lonawala while innocent lives are lost due to sheer lack of interest and road manners in truck drivers. For once, I abhor & blame them completely.

Last edited by SankalpDesai : 30th May 2012 at 10:54.
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Forget reflectors, many of them (40%) didn't even have proper tail lights!
Very true. I really find this appalling. These trucks are quite difficult to spot while driving in the night.The only way one can see them is if you switch to high beam. It's quite crazy really. I'm sure it won't cost much to just have a small tail light on these trucks.

Quote:
I am also shocked to see people stopping the vehicles on the sides and enjoying their food seating on the road or side barriers.
Again very very true. These folks seem to think that the e-way is a large picnic spot. Guess they don't even realize the danger that they are exposing themselves to. Will need to blame this to ignorance as the licensing process in the country never highlights the difference between city driving - highway driving and expressway driving. We only focus on accelator-brake-clutch-horn-and-lights. And that completes our education on driving.

Guess life comes cheap in this country!
ptushar is offline   Reply With Quote