Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd June 2012, 13:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

I have a simple solution to this if they would like to listen to me:
  1. For heavy commercial vehicles, they should be re-directed to use the Old Bombay-Pune highway (just like some State Transport buses do). It is now much improved than before and would avoid a lot of inconvenience to car users.
  2. Stop overloading the long distance buses (one should see the roofs of buses going to HYD/BLR); they look like cargo vehicles than passenger buses.
  3. Regular maintenance of the expressway is not strictly enforced. Only thing that is regularly done is increasing the toll fees.
  4. 1 Ambulance each at a distance of every 10 kilometers + ERT.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:54   #77
Senior - BHPian

Dear Behram Dhabhar,

While the entire express way suffers from variations in surface level over spread over some distance, this fault is most prominent in the stretch mentioned by you on both sides of the carriageway. I have experienced this as a driver as well as a passenger in vehicles ranging from a Zen, an OHC type1, OHC Vtec, Swift, Cedia, HVK's Scorpio, Bolero, Punto to a Maruti Omni. Speeds would have varied from a sedate 60 odd in the Omni to three digit figures in some of the other vehicles.

Regards
khoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - I have a question. When I enter the Pune Mumbai expressway from the Pune side, the surface of the road from the start to the first toll booth gives small vertical oscillations to all occupants of the car. This phenomenon remains to a very small extent upto Lonavala and then disappears. Have you experienced this? If so, please share your thoughts, like which vehicle, what speed etc. The speed at which this happened with me was between 100 and 140 kmph.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 19:31   #78
Senior - BHPian

Strange that this oscillation has been noticed by me especially on the Hyderabad to Bangalore newly laid expressway! Around the same speed too. Maybe due to the sections in which the road laying machine lays the surface. But have never experienced same in the UK. Wonder why?
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 15:04   #79
BHPian

Seems like the authorities haven't learnt a lesson from last weeks accident. I traveled via the YCEW this weekend and there was not a SINGLE cop on the entire stretch from Kalamboli to Pune including the ghat section. As usual, on the ghat section, the last curve was hogged by 3 trucks loaded with cranes, trying to overtake each other. I felt like getting down and slapping them. To add to the woes, the ST buses or Asiad or whatever they are, cutting lanes without signalling. The Mercs and Bimmers speeding at 200 kmph and some vehicles taking illegal U-Turns on the EW.

I am at a loss of understanding, why the authorities do not post policemen just where the ghat section starts. There should be policemen to direct heavy vehicles in the left-most lane. I simply do not understand why this practice is not followed.

While returning back late-night, it was slightly difficult to drive on the ghat section owing to the glare coming from the opp. side. The authorities should make a note of the type of reflectors on Palm-Beach road and use the same on the YCEW ghat section.
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 17:00   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post

I am also shocked to see people stopping the vehicles on the sides and enjoying their food seating on the road or side barriers.
On 30th January I wrote this ... and very very unfortunate that last week 27 people were crushed to death in similar situation. Only difference they were stopped by compulsion and not at their will.

I feel sorry for the departed souls.
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 11:58   #81
BHPian

Just read in today's newspaper that there were two more accidents near the Kamshet tunnel.

Why are the authorities sitting loose on deploying manpower to control traffic in the ghat section as well as tunnels ? Are they running short of manpower ?

Its just been the start of monsoons and they've quoted monsoon as the reason for the ST bus skidding inside the tunnel and turning turtle.

It's high-time that the authorities realize that commuters are being charged a high amount to use the E-Way without any maintenance and security!

Can we file a PIL on this ?
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 13:48   #82
BHPian

Hello ,
Today's big news , massive pileup on the expressway tunnel .
I was there , why do you think it happened ?
Were all the drivers such bad drivers ?
Not at all , it happened because some idiots use blinkers , in the tunnel , and when the first car got spoilt , many of the guys stopped with their hazard lights on , and the drivers behind thought that the cars were moving with blinkers on and rammed them from behind .
It is high time that they educate the people not to use blinkers while they are moving so the driver behind knows that some one has genuinly stopped due to a breakdown and slows down accordingly .
I have been trying to educate people on this , but they ignore me as they think I am wrong .
It is high time that they put banners to educate the drivers , and also penalise people who break such important rules .
magneto is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 14:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto
Hello ,
Not at all , it happened because some idiots use blinkers , in the tunnel , and when the first car got spoilt , many of the guys stopped with their hazard lights on , and the drivers behind thought that the cars were moving with blinkers on and rammed them from behind .
It is high time that they educate the people not to use blinkers while they are moving so the driver behind knows that some one has genuinly stopped due to a breakdown and slows down accordingly .
I have been trying to educate people on this , but they ignore me as they think I am wrong .
It is high time that they put banners to educate the drivers , and also penalise people who break such important rules .
Very valid point. Sadly we learn only after something catastrophic occurs.

Its also said the tempo right in the front lost control, it could be he aqua planed ...
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 08:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Its just been the start of monsoons and they've quoted monsoon as the reason for the ST bus skidding inside the tunnel and turning turtle.
The other major issue inside the tunnels is the absence of adequate lighting esp when the natural light during monsoons is anyways less. That the reason vehicle rarely drive with their headlamps/hazard lamps on.

The high toll price is a sheer daylight robbery by the govt. I was told by a few friends who made the trip last week that the concrete in may places have come off and are a major hazard.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 13:42   #85
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere in this forum there has been a long drawn discussion on this and while you are concerned about educating people at large, the somewhat better informed members on the forum were not willing to accept that the practice of driving with the hazards on is in-correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto View Post
Hello ,

khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 14:18   #86
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, this should now be called a dual carriageway. Which is what it is. There is no way that in the current state this can be called an expressway.

What are the safety features in comparison to the massive toll amount collected everyday? There is no accident hospital at the edge of the e-way. No ambulance service. Bad road surfacing. No enforcement of rules especially in terms of lane changing, overspeeding, usage of high beams, overloading, I could go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Guess life comes cheap in this country!
what comes cheap, goes cheap. No offence meant, but thats how we are allowing ourselves to be treated.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 19:58   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Somewhere in this forum there has been a long drawn discussion on this and while you are concerned about educating people at large, the somewhat better informed members on the forum were not willing to accept that the practice of driving with the hazards on is in-correct.
>>>

Typically you use the blinking hazard lights when you or your car is in distress, while parked on the shoulder, and not when you drive into a tunnel or when you slow down on the road during a torrential downpour!

But we live in interesting times in an interesting land.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 20:06   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry sir, but I did not see any of the so-called better informed members endorsing this practice in that thread
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 00:31   #89
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that is how it should be but then as you said these are interesting times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Typically you use the blinking hazard lights when you or your car is in distress, while parked on the shoulder, and not when you drive into a tunnel or when you slow down on the road during a torrential downpour!

But we live in interesting times in an interesting land.

Regards

Maybe we are referring to different threads or maybe some posts have been deleted as it happens when the discussions get a bit too spicy.

However that is not important what is important is that adherence to the correct driving practices / use of hazard lights is increasing (at least amongst members on the forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Sorry sir, but I did not see any of the so-called better informed members endorsing this practice in that thread
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 12:35   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that is how it should be but then as you said these are interesting times.

Maybe we are referring to different threads or maybe some posts have been deleted as it happens when the discussions get a bit too spicy.

However that is not important what is important is that adherence to the correct driving practices / use of hazard lights is increasing (at least amongst members on the forum).
I endorse your views.
Where are the so well informed members who endorse the practice of using blinkers in the tunnel ?.

I have noticed that many mumbai cars use the proper lighting , whereas most of the pune and rural cars along with the poorly educated bus and truck drivers use blinkers in the tunnel.

Please come up and endorse your views , or i feel that bhp should take a vote on this issue .
magneto is offline   Reply With Quote