Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th March 2014, 20:39   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Road rage confession

Seems like I am facing road rage state of mind quite a bit. Two incidences today :

1) A biker without helmet with his wife ( or GF ) riding pillion ( she was also not wearing helmet ). There is a junction where one end of High Tension Road ( pretty well known road in my locality ). I had crossed 90% of the junction and a biker coming from opposite direction wanted to turn right, cutting across my lane. As my speed was slow, about 20 kmph and 2nd gear, I did not brake and the biker had to brake. As I crossed this biker, he was blabbering something at me and stared at me as I was moving forward in front of him.

I slowed down and eventually braked and saw the biker stop too ( by this time he had crossed the road ). Two options as usual : fight or let go. I preferred let go and had to show my mobile to repair guy.

2) Coming back home from mobile shop, near Atmajyoti Ashram a black Santro Xing all of a sudden joins the main road from a society ( bylane ). Registration No. is GJ-6CM-67XX. The car was driven by a lady with a kid sitting in co-driver's seat.
I had to brake hard to avoid collision but again less speed helped me a lot ( I was doing 40 ). Lost temper and tried overtaking the car, but more than once she either blocked my lane or deliberately slowed down all of a sudden.
My diesel i10 is only 350 kms. old but I floored it to undertake that lady. She did not let me overtake her and had to undertake ( overtake from left ) and then braked mildly in front of her. Forgot everything, and started driving at my normal pace. She was now following me like mad.

She even took a shortcut round a traffic island at a busy junction, but could not get ahead of me.

At the end of the day, my blood pressure boiled due to a couple of useless drivers not looking anywhere. Came home and was fuming, but now I realize that it spoiled my health only and both of them would be enjoying their Sunday.
Attached Images

aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 10:03   #197
BHPian

I must confess I am generally a laid-back driver who sticks to speeds of 80-100 on the Mumbai-Pune expressway even when the traffic is sparse. But I did something a couple of days back that I do regret.

While driving back to Pune at 4ish in the afternoon, I was my original self till I crossed the first toll plaza. At the beginning of the ghat section, I was doing an 80 when I had to slow down because of 3 huge trailers occupying all the 3 lanes. I was in the right-most lane behind the faster of these 3 trailers, which incidentally was going at 15kmph. So I slowed down and patiently waited for the trailers to realign and let the traffic pass by. A blue Toyota Etios that was literally flying screeched and slowed down behind me and what followed was close to 50 dipper signals and loud continuous honking. Now I generally give way to vehicles if I am the one blocking the way. But I guess I just snapped this time around.

Once the trailer on the right-most lane got into the middle lane, I floored the pedal and drove manically through the Ghat section leaving the Etios nowhere in sight. It is only when I reached the Sinhagadh institute that I realised what I was doing. So I got back to my regular 80 cruising speed in the middle lane. 5-10 mins later, that Etios caught up with me and flashed dippers at me yet again even when I was in the middle lane and the right lane was open for overtaking. I cursed silently and let that driver carry on with the idiotic behaviour.

I'd like to apologise to each and every true BHPian out there as it is completely my fault. I know there are still many more miles to go before I can term myself as a good driver.
prafulasher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 11:49   #198
BHPian

Time for another road rage confession. I am happy that this has happened after a long time with me but sad at the same time that I let my anger get hold of me.

Tuesday evening, driving back from office along with wifey. I was priding myself on the fact that since many months I have not lost my temper driving on Pune roads. Alas pride cometh before a fall as they say.

This was the situation - I am driving in the right lane close to the divider following another car. On the left is a PMT bus which has halted at a bus stop. Now there is a break in the divider just after the bus stop. As we approach the bus, it starts moving right to merge into traffic. The car ahead of me goes ahead of the bus.

Now I am assuming that the bus will merge in his own lane but I was wrong ! He continued coming onto my car despite me honking. Ultimately he pushed me till I had to brake to avoid hitting on the divider. Then perhaps he had a change of mind and suddenly veered off to the left lane and gestured for me to overtake him.

I should have done just that but well due to the shock of stopping short of bumping into the divider I had lost it. I accelerated and stopped right in front of him. My wifey was saying dont get worked up but my anger would hear none of it ! I got down and walked up to the bus driver's window and gave him a piece of mind - no foul language but just an anger-filled rant of how I could have ended up on the divider due to his fault.

All this while the whole road was blocked and people were honking away to glory - leading them was a sumo which had to stop right behind me. Walking back to my car after I ran out of steam I glared at the sumo driver.

Now after I started off and everyone heaved a sigh of relief, this sumo driver overtakes me, comes in front of me and does a slow driving display. My immediate reaction would have been to get even more angry but that slow driving in fact helped me cool down and see things more clearly. I calmly drove behind him till he decided to turn left. Thanks to him deciding to get back at me for stopping in the middle of the road, I could calm down faster.

This is the layout -
Attached Thumbnails
Road rage confession-roadrage.png  

luvDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 17:56   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

I asked how? - He said "People drive better in USA"
Yesterday eve i was returning from my sons school annual day and ^ calls me saying rush to point-B, accident. His kid too studies with my son and he left early from the school function.

I drop my family home and proceed to B. He says the manza side swiped him in point-A about 1km ahead and didn't stop. Hit and run. So he chased, honked, pulled some Bollywood moves and pushed the manza off the road to draw 2nd blood.

Turns out its another family from the same school and i am totally confused to do a "settlement" here since all 3 kids are classmates.

Did a gentleman's agreement and drove to M.a.s.s at 930pm and the owner being my friend gave a quote of 10k and manza guy gave 5k cash on spot and rest from insurance.

Funny thing is, my wife is that school's asst.principal and she mustn't to know about those 2 parents
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 15:11   #200
BHPian

I never drive with the window rolled down. This way I get to yell all the most vulgar and degrading curses to the retarded motorists around me without having a confrontation. It helps. Plus the car interior stays extremely clean! So its a win win situation.

Cheers!
Rohan
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 18:50   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I really wonder how am I going to handle these ragers when I get my license in may when I turn 18! Sad thing is, I don't even know the local language :-(
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 18, live in Bangalore, and barely know Kannada. I'd advise you too be as calm as possible whatever happens. I'm short-tempered as it is, and I hate when morons in traffic drive rashly. Nothing pisses me off more than people from the opposite side coming at you in your lane. Unfortunately I have given these guys the choicest of expletives from a very colourful vocabulary and I always regret it after. Trust me, the stupidity that you feel after abusing someone on the road even if they have wronged you is the worst feeling ever.

Just keep a calm mind, and nothing defuses an angry situation more than a calm persona and a smile. I have been hit in traffic, and I was calmed down cause the other person immediately apologizes. Don't ever get ahead of yourself in traffic cause you never know what would happen.

Let me share an experience with you. About a few months ago, I was driving to get some groceries for my mother in our Fiesta. I safely turned onto a main road from a side road after seeing a black i10 from about 200m away. I didn't expect this guy to come flying down the road at the speed of light. Two seconds after I turn onto the main road, I hear a loud honk and this jackass about a car length behind me. I pulled over to the side of the road to park since the store was located right there. This guy took it as me going to confront him, so he jumps out of his car and comes at me, showering me in the most beautiful language I've heard. I stayed calm and told him it was his fault, but his alpha male ego just wouldn't accept it. I lost my cool when he started threatening me physically. I told him, in clean language and no uncertain terms, what I'd do to him if he touched me. This sort of scared him off, he got into his car and left. I thanked my stars that I didn't get pulled into an altercation there. Less than a minute later, my father passes by. If he had witnessed this, he would have ripped my license apart on the spot and I would have never seen car keys of any form again.

All this could have been avoided had I just ignored the guy. Goes to show how much of a difference a calm mind can make.
AbelAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 17:16   #202
BHPian

Well I finally lost my cool. The incident involved a Figo driver - he was honking violently in heavy traffic on bannerghatta road. I didn't have any option to give him way as it was not only bumper to bumper ,but also door to door traffic. Finally he jumps the signal after IBM office and speeds - But with such heavy traffic , where can he rush ? He got stuck on the right lane a few meters ahead, behind vehicles waiting for a U turn. Now that I passed him , he became aggressive and was tailgating and zig-zaging. I realized he is going to cause an accident , so I let him pass - now things started getting ugly. He started slowing down and blocking me every time I tried passing - At the signal after Bosch, he was on the right lane , where vehicles were waiting for signal ,and I was on left as straight lane was free. As I was about to pass him ,he quickly changed the lane , and I still don't know how I stopped in time.

This continued for almost 5-6 kms and multiple signals - He just kept blocking me and times quiet dangerously. Finally it went nasty when he clipped the handle of a bike. Now he had two irate road users. But that didn't stop him from continuing his atrocity. But his luck ran out when he got caught at the signal near ASC center. I got out from my car and gave him an earful and the biker joined in with more colorful language. It was clear that he was drunk. The biker guy broke his tail lamp in angst and soon it turned into a Kannadiga(biker) vs Non Kannadiga. I had cooled down a bit and moved away from the scene by then

Last edited by JoeMichael : 3rd April 2014 at 17:21.
JoeMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 22:46   #203
BHPian

Succinctly & humorously explains road rage. How true...

tifosikrishna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 21:46   #204
Senior - BHPian

This time its none other than my friend.
Met up at his place and while he was going somewhere to get some food and I was driving home. There is a common road where he was ahead of me. Usually, I flash my lights for the one in front of me to move and did the same here. Somehow, he did not budge, so I decided to undertake him.

Now in my city, you will find people not using ORVM's, driving in right most lane and not moving left for faster traffic, etc. Now when I was undertaking him, he suddenly came left. On what's app he sent "he he". I could have either crashed into his rear three quarters or something. Came home and since then I am trying to cool down.

Lost my cool real bad. Real, real bad. He was not using his left ORVM. I wonder why. Some people just dont learn.

EDIT : His reaction to me asking him to use left ORVM : "I dont care for my car, but you do. He he". Yes, probably I love my car too much and would continue to do so. I have earned it out of my hard earned money and will take care of it.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 13th October 2014 at 22:02.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 01:09   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Now in my city, you will find people not using ORVM's, driving in right most lane and not moving left for faster traffic, etc. Now when I was undertaking him, he suddenly came left. On what's app he sent "he he". I could have either crashed into his rear three quarters or something. Came home and since then I am trying to cool down.
Not trying to act like Sherlock but does this mean that you check your WhatsApp messages while driving?

If you did then please don't do it in future Sir. 'Saavdhani Hati, Durghatna Ghati'. That split second shift in attention from the road to the phone's screen is enough for disaster to strike. Please don't take it lightly, how much ever experienced a driver you are.

Well, if you didn't, then ignore the gyan O Btw, Baroda is my hometown.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2014, 10:32   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Not trying to act like Sherlock but does this mean that you check your WhatsApp messages while driving?

If you did then please don't do it in future Sir. 'Saavdhani Hati, Durghatna Ghati'. That split second shift in attention from the road to the phone's screen is enough for disaster to strike. Please don't take it lightly, how much ever experienced a driver you are.
Whatsapp conversations were after we reached home. Certainly NOT while I am driving. Infact, when I am driving, I keep mobile in vibrate mode : no sudden mobile ring noise to distract me. The mobile in vibrate mode is either in pocket or in the cup holder/storage place in my car. No text of any sort or call while driving. Thats simple moto, be it city or highway.

Will PM as you are based out of Vadodara.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 19:06   #207
BHPian

I feel road rage every time I drive in Hyderabad. Sometimes I lose my cool when the other party, clearly in the wrong, still starts blaming and calling names. Yesterday I was so enraged with a guy on a bike who was driving on the right most lane on the wrong side of the divider (the top speed lane) that I was practically shaking and ended up shouting "Come on. You kill me or I will kill you. Right now. Here on this road itself."

Wifey pulled me back. Took me half an hour to come back to my senses.

Hyderabad traffic really gets onto my nerves. have to see a therapist soon.
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 20:02   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Seems like I am facing road rage state of mind quite a bit.
You could have chosen not to react in those two instances, yet you did. You got pissed then, invested many minutes then, and many minutes posting now.

Where does this end brother?

Let it be.

Its just traffic, like some wise man said, dil pe mat le yaar! aka dont sweat the small stuff
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 22:32   #209
BHPian

Got this as a whatsapp forward. Related with this thread hence posting. Mods, kindly delete if it doesn't belong here. Thanks.

Quote:
The Law of the Garbage Truck

One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was really friendly. So I asked, ‘Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!’
This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, ‘The Law of the Garbage Truck.’

He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it, and sometimes they’ll dump it on you. Don’t take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don’t take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day.

Life’s too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so…Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don’t. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!

Have a blessed, garbage-free day.
Sherlocked is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 23:11   #210
Senior - BHPian

@Sherlocked..

Everyone goes through one instance that makes your realise its not worth it. I have been in one such incident, got down from the car and got into a fist fight. And considering the rage i was in i could have either got beaten up badly or did something stupid like pushing the guy from the flyover. This was years back and that night i decided it is not worth putting my family through the actions because of my rage.

From that day till today, over 5 years now i have not indulged in even a single instant of getting angry on other drivers.

I get sarcastic and make sarcastic comments to feed my ego but that ends there. Its almost like, GOOD skills man in a sarcastic tone.

And my wife says i have mellowed down as a driver and actually dont even bother about getting stuck in traffic for hours.

We literally start watching soaps if we are stuck in traffic and we dont regret being cool about it.

Road rage is useless.
VW2010 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote