Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 11:14   #301
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 148
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

It is really really sad and sickening to see on our roads when ever there is a bumper scrape or slight hit.

People: hit first then talk later. It is like the wild west of the 1800's when America was being colonized and settled. Basically, you carried the law on your hip, now people carry it on their palms. I know vehicles cost a lot here in India, and most of us are on 3,5,7 year dedicated EMIs (coupled with measly savings for a down payment), and it all opens like a flood gate when someone hits our car. The pent up emotion and frustration and loss. Though, why cannot people talk it out, rather than hitting first. Here in NCR it is the norm. to hit first, talk later.

I remember some months back at Green Park market. I had parked my car perpendicular to the road. I was reversing it a bit to straighten it out. I clearly remember looking in my rear view mirror and it was clear. I probably reversed around 1/2 a foot and suddenly a sardarjee with his wife was behind my car. I immediately stopped the car, braked hard and am sure 100% I did not touch the man. The wife and man came around to the passenger front side (my wife was sitting there) and started shouting to glory. Being I decent person, I lowered my window. They did not give me a chance to speak "dektha nahin hain..chalana nahin athaa" (can you not see, can you not drive). When they paused in between, I sincerely apologized (in English), they again continued. I again apologized. I did not step out, cause I knew they would hit me for sure. I was so scared and worried. Again when I said sorry, they walked off, but pissed off.

I finished my parking job, and stepped out. I then saw: the couples driver had parked their Innova parallel to the road, but perpendicular to my car (and I had not seen it, maybe a blind spot) and the man had gotten out right behind my car while I was reversing. I still feel it was my mistake. But did I deserve such a harrowing experience and shouting, when I did not touch him...? I had seen him suddenly "appear" behind me and stopped, he could have also been vigilant right..?

Due to aspects like this driving is extremely mind-crushing in the NCR region, and violence has become a norm. I have seen people carry baseball bats in their car. I once saw a man speed in front of a car, stop, open his boot and pull out a baseball bat. Subsequently he thrashed both windshields of the car behind him, and then drove off.

Driving is not fun here.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 11:44   #302
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 228
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
and the man had gotten out right behind my car while I was reversing. I still feel it was my mistake. But did I deserve such a harrowing experience and shouting, when I did not touch him...? I had seen him suddenly "appear" behind me and stopped, he could have also been vigilant right..?
It is the man's mistake to park his car right behind your car and perpendicular to it. So I think that it was a |- | situation. He should have thought about how you would have taken your car out when his Innova was parked behind you perpendicularly. You were never at a mistake in the first place, yet you have had to hear the shouting.

I'm aware of the kind of tendency showed by the Innova people (in this case). They are in some hurry, start late and do something wrong in the hurry, and instead of being polite, they argue and start bashing the others unnecessarily. I encounter such situations umpteen number of times. At times I loose my patience very quickly though.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 11:46   #303
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Due to aspects like this driving is extremely mind-crushing in the NCR region, and violence has become a norm. I have seen people carry baseball bats in their car. I once saw a man speed in front of a car, stop, open his boot and pull out a baseball bat. Subsequently he thrashed both windshields of the car behind him, and then drove off.

Driving is not fun here.
Agreed. The problem here is zero policing, zero respect for the law but pin-drop violence! (excuse the pun!)

That is the sole reason my wife does not even consider taking up a car+driver, forget driving herself. She's happy with Ola / Uber. God bless the VCs.

Edit I had been in a similar situation in Chennai with pedestrians who wanted to catch a bus. Since then I installed a reversing horn besides honking like a madman everytime I'm reversing. Better be told to stop honking than have my windscreen smashed by a cretin.

Last edited by phamilyman : 18th September 2015 at 11:47.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 12:07   #304
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,056
Thanked: 3,246 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

This is something I saw yesterday.
On the road adjacent to the canal near the ghazipur mound, at one of the red lights, a brand new jazz was waiting for the lights to go green. Some bikers managed to go through the gap between the car, and the wall, because they wanted to wait at 8 feet closer to the lights.
Now, this jazz looked to have been delivered just last night, so pristine it was, and one of these bikers managed to scrape its bumper mildly with a foot peg. honestly, I had to look very closely from about 5 feet away to make it out. But it screamed to the owner.
Now, he got out of the car, and looking at him, you wouldn't believe he'd be capable of doing what he did next.
Grabbed the guys collar, and shook him for a few seconds, went to look at his car, and then grabbed his collar again, "Blind mans progeny!! *reproductive organ reference*!! You give 5000 bucks now!!" HE WAS SEETHING MAD!!
Next he tried to grab the guys keys, probably to throw them in the canal. Failing to grab it, he just pushed the bike off the embankment!!
I don't know if it ended up in the water, but boy was it extreme! I was just worried , that being so close to Noida and Ghaziabad, I wouldn't be called in as a witness to a murder!
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 12:21   #305
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,025
Thanked: 4,456 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Some bikers managed to go through the gap between the car, and the wall, because they wanted to wait at 8 feet closer to the lights.
Forget the incident, but can someone explain me as to how to deal with this nuisance?

If they knew, that it won't make a difference. I have made comments like "Is someone at Hospital, you seem in a hurry" or worse "Is your bladder full, if yes, please go, you have the right of way"
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:06   #306
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 148
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Next he tried to grab the guys keys, probably to throw them in the canal. Failing to grab it, he just pushed the bike off the embankment!!
A friend narrated these two incidents to me about the "same driver", we will call him AD (Angry Driver for prose), for the firm he was employed with:

[1] :
AD is driving with a Tata Indica full of employees. A drivers cuts him from the right and nicks the front bumper. At the next light, AD gets off his car, forces the other driver to lower his window, and gives him a verbal mindful in full rage and froth. After that he reaches in, and "snaps" the car key in the key hole. And walks off. Not sure if this is possible, or someone can have this much strength to severe a key and break it.

[2] :
AD is driving rash as usual on MG road (like Ben-Hur) and has a road war with a driver in a Qualis or some big vehicle. It results in both stopping and shouting it out. AD has the gall to scream "tu muje nahin jantha main xxxxxx gaon se hoon" (you do not know me, I am from xxxxx village), and struts off and drives away. What happens next is hilarious and utmost scary. The Qualis tailed AD all the way to the office facility, and somehow even made it to the -3 level parking of our company. Once the staff had left, the Qualis driver pulled out a Mauser put it to AD's temple and said (actually barked) "main bhee xxxxx gaon se hoon, jo to peeche bol rahaa tha, ab tu bata tu wahaan kis kis ko janthaa hain" (I am also from the same village you mentioned on the road, now tell me who you know from that village). Post that, AD almost had a heart attack, and meekly confessed he was lying about his village lineage, and profusely apologized.

Our Admin. supervisor relieved AD from our establishment and employee candidature.
asingh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:23   #307
BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 495
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

The one that works for me best Sheel is to leave no gaps at all. This is quite rampant at Bangalore and even at those signals where i need to take a left, there will be bikers here who sneak in that small gap and stand right in front of you, because they need to go straight.

I slowly keep merging into the wall and leave no space. Some bikers end up taking the foot path to get across, and once a while, i have seen the get caught for driving on footpaths.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:41   #308
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,724
Thanked: 4,661 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Some bikers managed to go through the gap between the car, and the wall, because they wanted to wait at 8 feet closer to the lights.the bike off the embankment!!
I don't know if it ended up in the water, but boy was it extreme! I was just worried , that being so close to Noida and Ghaziabad, I wouldn't be called in as a witness to a murder!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Forget the incident, but can someone explain me as to how to deal with this nuisance?
I use two extremes - one is to do what jkrishnakj has mentioned, to close down the gap. The other is (if I'm already stopped at a signal) to leave a large enough gap for 2 wheelers to get through without making contact. But not so big that autos get tempted to try jamming their snout in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The one that works for me best Sheel is to leave no gaps at all. This is quite rampant at Bangalore and even at those signals where i need to take a left, there will be bikers here who sneak in that small gap and stand right in front of you, because they need to go straight.
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:55   #309
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,581
Thanked: 3,484 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
When you obey all the rules, you should - you do automatically gain an upper hand in such incidences. And add to that, at least 3 of my immediate relatives and a number of friends practice in criminal law, so I can take some risk.

When you know that the other one is wrong, and you're absolutely right, nothing should stop a confrontation
From what I understand Confession of a road rage incident means you acknowledge the fact that you acted foolishly due to a momentary trigger, and is not something you will knowingly commit for a second time. But here you are quite directly saying that you can afford to do so because of your so-called connections; quite disturbing IMO.

Please drive safe, or rather I would say - stay safe!
vb-san is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 14:51   #310
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 228
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
From what I understand Confession of a road rage incident means you acknowledge the fact that you acted foolishly due to a momentary trigger, and is not something you will knowingly commit for a second time. But here you are quite directly saying that you can afford to do so because of your so-called connections; quite disturbing IMO.

Please drive safe, or rather I would say - stay safe!
I can not allow myself to bear the deliberate wrongs of others, at times. I do not get upset or angry by seeing bikers squeeze small gaps between bigger vehicles and ending up with scratches on the bumpers, or auto rickshaws braking anywhere on the road in search of customers, or hawkers encroaching roads/footpaths etc, causing hindrance to the otherwise smooth flowing traffic. These instances though connote lawlessness, they don't bother me much. However on that day, the water splashing was easily avoidable. The rest of the traffic was crawling slowly and carefully. These guys, just for their fun rode through the puddle and did a splash, and that made me angry.

In my earlier post, I said that if I encounter any such (any such = somebody deliberately splashing water for no apparent reason) incident, I will first deal with it, and then approach the law. I agree that this statement was uncalled for and it was completely wrong. I cannot be in a stronger position always, which I'm well aware of. However the connections that I speak of, are not to trouble somebody unnecessarily. I'd put them to use to bring a wrong to justice. And I don't see anything disturbing in it.
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 22:05   #311
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I can not allow myself to bear the deliberate wrongs of others, at times. I do not get upset or angry by seeing bikers squeeze small gaps between bigger vehicles and ending up with scratches on the bumpers, or auto rickshaws braking anywhere on the road in search of customers, or hawkers encroaching roads/footpaths etc, causing hindrance to the otherwise smooth flowing traffic. These instances though connote lawlessness, they don't bother me much. However on that day, the water splashing was easily avoidable. The rest of the traffic was crawling slowly and carefully. These guys, just for their fun rode through the puddle and did a splash, and that made me angry.

In my earlier post, I said that if I encounter any such (any such = somebody deliberately splashing water for no apparent reason) incident, I will first deal with it, and then approach the law. I agree that this statement was uncalled for and it was completely wrong. I cannot be in a stronger position always, which I'm well aware of. However the connections that I speak of, are not to trouble somebody unnecessarily. I'd put them to use to bring a wrong to justice. And I don't see anything disturbing in it.
Dear Swapnil - Even if you are legitimately angry at someone, you should not be the one initiating violence unless it's an exceptional circumstance. Right now from your repeated posts, I think you will gladly beat anyone if you are pissed with him and they do not appear stronger than you. This is a blatantly illegal act and does not reflect well on you, especially given that you are a team bhp member.

I'm sure you will learn the error of your ways eventually, just hope that no one including you gets hurt due to your anger issues till then.
Lalvaz is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 14:51   #312
BHPian
 
GeneralJazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL-58/KL-07
Posts: 102
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

This happened 3 weeks ago. I was on my bike, returning from office through heavy traffic. My place is on the opposite side, so I turn on my indicators about 300 meters ahead, as I always do, and slow down towards the center of the road, looking for a gap to cross. Cars behind me were overtaking from the left, as it was apparent I was going to cross. Then this idiot in an silver i10(KL-07-BM-something) comes speeding and crosses me from the right, driving well into the opposite lane! He hit my handlebars and I lose balance, barely managing to keep the bike from falling down. The guy tries to speed away but gets stuck in traffic. I know I should have let it go but I go after him. I managed to find a gap in traffic and stop perpendicular to him, in from of him. He starts honking and shows some actions with his hands. By them I'm supremely p****d and walk upto his window to give him a piece of my mind. He refuses to roll down his windows and continues to say something. Cars start honking all around us. In a fit of rage, I remove my helmet and slam it with considerable force into his bonnet(and I'm not a small guy!), leaving a very deep, round dent, almost a hole! I guess I might have frightened him as he didnt roll down his windows even then. Slightly calmer after a mini explosion, and the cursing of others stuck behind us, I move my bike hoping to have a talk with him on the side. However he zooms away.

What I did notice as he was driving off, was that he had multiple Team-Bhp stickers on his bumpers. Dont know if he was a legit member or a fraud(I've seen our stickers on autos), but if he is and if hes reading this, brother what you did was dangerous and foolish. You could have knocked me down, in front of some other vehicle. That said, I'm sorry for what I did to your bonnet. Please do try to be careful from now on.

PS: I've read posts about i10s failing crash tests, but this one just failed an angry-biker-helmet-slam-test
GeneralJazz is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 15:44   #313
BHPian
 
neutralgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 75
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

I would like to bring to your notice that the technique you follow to cross the road is wrong. Ideally, you would have to stop on the left of the road. Turn on your indicator, look for a gap on both sides and then cross. Stopping on the busiest lanes on the road is an invitation to danger. Please ignore what I have said if the above mentioned location was on a junction.

Last edited by neutralgrey : 21st September 2015 at 15:46.
neutralgrey is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 16:18   #314
BHPian
 
GeneralJazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL-58/KL-07
Posts: 102
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
I would like to bring to your notice that the technique you follow to cross the road is wrong. Ideally, you would have to stop on the left of the road. Turn on your indicator, look for a gap on both sides and then cross. Stopping on the busiest lanes on the road is an invitation to danger. Please ignore what I have said if the above mentioned location was on a junction.
I know its wrong, but with the amount of traffic, its practically impossible to stop to the left and cross both side at one go. Its not a junction per se, but quite a few vehicles do take that side road. Stopping towards the center of the road and waiting for a gap is kind of the modus operandi here.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 19:46   #315
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I know its wrong, but with the amount of traffic, its practically impossible to stop to the left and cross both side at one go. Its not a junction per se, but quite a few vehicles do take that side road. Stopping towards the center of the road and waiting for a gap is kind of the modus operandi here.
Knowing that your actions are wrong and still inflicting damage on another vehicle? Apt post for this thread. The only modus operandi should be the correct one. Stopping in the centre of the road to take a turn is not right. You are lucky that you did not get injured. Neutralgrey's advice is correct.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confession thread sridhga Street Experiences 1 4th August 2008 12:00
Road Rage : Me v/s SLK 230 DCEite Street Experiences 33 19th July 2007 17:58
Road rage... My Accident Godfather Street Experiences 40 18th April 2006 22:16
Road Rage kgc_cool Shifting gears 13 16th March 2006 17:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks