Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th May 2016, 12:59   #421
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Road rage confession

90Horses, with all due respect you did ask for this and had it coming when you went on to stop him. What did you expect to come out of it ? .I cannot understand why you could just have moved over and let him pass . When someone honks from behind you you are in no position to know what is causing him to do it , might be he is on the way to the hospital or needs to answer natures call could be anything just let him pass. This is the kind of etiquette/common sense that should have been taught by a driving instructor ( I agree good ones are a rarity now a days )

And you do not know if he knows some magic moves to over take the vehicle in front, if he can he will else he will not , but thats his problem , not yours..to

I am not justifying him getting physical with you , and now that he has done it you have your legal rights to do what you have to do, and so will he.

fully with you on this mayankk
hellstar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 13:20   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
I am a rule abiding guy, if there's no room to cross, there's nothing I could do, I have maintained my speed in my lane, the guy in i10 couldn't wait he was trying to cross me, came beside me & started to curse me, I was pissed, I have asked him to take a side

What should I have done to avoid this? Should I have let him go in the lane by stopping a side? What makes some one bigger than the other? Following rules is so bad? Some one will give a horn and I should stop the car and let him go? I will do it only for Rescue Services like Ambulance, why should I do to him? Apparently all 10 minutes of beating he was shouting on me, why didn't you give me a side? don't you respect horn?, what if both cars touched? Seriously? If there was a way I would have given.. there was none!!! I am attaching the reg details of the car. Pls suggest what needs to be done.
Its actually partially true that following rules can lead you into trouble (At times) I stop at signals even in the night, Where there is hardly any traffic but car's behind me start honking and flashing and overtake me by giving me a look, As soon as you give the indicator to change lanes the car in the other lane suddenly accelerates to stop you from doing you, Where on the other hand if you directly cut in the lane without giving the signal its all okay!

I have avoided many and got into several road rages in which, (I Was the one who was following the rules)

The best thing to do is just avoid, Ignore, Let them pass, People like these don't care about their own life, Their car or someone else's life or car.

I have started avoiding and ignoring such people completely when on road, Life and time both are very previous to try and make such people understand the worth of it.
Tanveer_2558 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 13:34   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Today, unfortunately I was a part of a road rage incident.
You were not a part of a road rage incident. You were a victim of it. Of course, without any fault of yours.

Quote:
What should I have done to avoid this?
You are in your lane, driving with the flow of traffic, neither fast nor slow. So you do not have to budge and give side. Never get pressurized due to horns. Only 1 out of 10 honkers must be of the angry types. Most of them are insecure.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 16:15   #424
Senior - BHPian

I believe the mistake is yours. You know we live in a moronic country. Wearing decent clothing doesn't make people civilised. Best way is to ignore. But, if you want to have a dialogue or stop any one then be ready to exchange blows. For that you need to have a good build and power. If you don't have that then never stop any one to argue about road sense.

And you said it went on for 10 mins. Were you guys fighting in slow motion? why didn't you escaped in a minute if you knew you can't defend yourself?
Your pride may be hurt but there are lots of lessons to learn from this unfortunate incident.
harry10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 18:20   #425
BHPian

Ignorance is bliss, on bangalore roads - that's the mantra i follow. I do close to 50KM daily on my drive to work and back and i go through the most harrowing stretches of BTM, Silk Board, Bellandur - the famed ORR stretch. Its a nightmare. I have realised that the difference between a moron who wants to cut across and speed their way is hardly a car or two ahead in the next intersection.

I have also seen that the buses that we apparently try to over take are also driving along side us.

So - i typically let go everyone who wants to go. The mildest of honks will make sure that the other guy gets across. Its far more bliss that way.

The real pain you are going thru is articulated very rightly by Mayankk.

And like 2500 cc says, no harm in you pursuing the details you had and posting on BTP pages. But be mentally ready that you may not get what you want. For all you know, it might not get pursued at all.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 00:02   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What should I have done to avoid this? Should I have let him go in the lane by stopping a side? What makes some one bigger than the other? Following rules is so bad? Some one will give a horn and I should stop the car and let him go? I will do it only for Rescue Services like Ambulance, why should I do to him?
Five questions and only one answer, you had the worst possible strategy to talk road-philosophy with someone. Are you a long time Bangalorean? If you are I assume you'd know that such incidents will happen at the least once a day, specially when you drive around old city areas and narrow roads. You're talking of getting honked at when a cement-mixer is up front, I got honked at in front of a red signal and many times. My strategy is to do a firm hand-wave or point to the obvious blockage ahead whether its a red signal or a tempo (the blind to justice motorists sometimes need a reminder).

Pulling someone over and calling them towards you is more often than not, a sign of asking for a road-rumble. I'd be the last man to do that and I certainly wont pull over either, if someone asks me to. What should you have done? Look if we had that answer we'd be the happiest blokes in town driving around cheerfully all day long, but none of us have an answer. There is much uncertainty and inequity when driving, and the right answer will certainty not include unnecessary interactions with total strangers in the middle of the day on a bustling street.

Here's my philosophy : See a loon zig-zagging from behind at 100 kmph? Let that vehicle pass, see an impatient motorist - let the motorist overtake first opportunity I get to give space. Keep interactions and gestures of any form to a minimum and get on with the day.

Why are the roads so unfair? Is life in general any more fair?
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 21:05   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today, unfortunately I was a part of a road rage incident, Pls suggest what needs to be done.

I am completely devastated by goons and morons who were dressed up like Literates, I am devastated and confused.
Mate go and buy a pepper spray from the nearest chemist. Next time anyone tries such tricks give him two long blasts one in each eye. Keep it away from you and don't spray in closed areas. Watch the moron do a funny dance for the next 2 hours. Highly entertaining...
apachelongbow is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 22:21   #428
BHPian

Would like share two incidents with you which occurred today. Of late, i have been putting in long hours at work, have lack of sleep and many other related health problems.Also the strain of dealing with bad drivers on bad Mumbai roads, finally took its toll on me today.

1) On the EEH, trucks (overloaded, brake lights not working etc) drive on the right hand side (overtaking lane). This is a common sight on the EEH and especially during monsoons this becomes a safety hazard. I was nicely motoring along in the middle lane,when i tried to overtake the car in front (normally i slip into the overtaking lane quickly after checking my RVM's and then slip back into the center lane. Today i decided to drive for a couple of minutes in the rightmost lane, as i progressed along the road i spotted a truck doing about 40 KMPH. I flashed and honked and then flashed and honked some more, but to no avail, now the road rage monster rises. I undertake the trucker, slip back into his lane and proceed to drive in the 2nd gear. He is the one honking and flashing now, perversely i slip into 1st gear and now he switches lane and starts driving in the middle lane. Mission accomplished, the rage monster abates and i zoom off.

2) Waiting at the lobby of my building for my mother. A ANHC comes up from my rear. I spot him (later turned out to be a lady) in my RVM and switched on my hazard lights (My mother by this time was walking towards my car). This ANHC is on high beams and is completely blinding me.My mother gets into the co drivers seat and i switch of my hazards and off we go. Now get this, i normally drive at speeds of less than 5 KMPH inside my society premises. This lady starts honking, inside a residential area (probably urging me to go fast in an area where kids were playing) The road rage monster is back in full force. I allow her to pass, toggle my high beams and chase after her ,tailgate her on a narrow road, undertake her and cut into her lane from the left. All this while, my mother has been screaming at me to stop and i pay no heed. After i got home, my mother is really cut up me and is blaming her upbringing and saying i behaved like a goon and if i had better sense i ought to desticker my car.

Feeling ashamed about myself and have vowed never to repeat this again. But sometimes bad drivers, bad driving and bad roads just GET to you.
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 12:19   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurchaturvedi View Post
Would like share two incidents with you which occurred today.
Feeling ashamed about myself and have vowed never to repeat this again. But sometimes bad drivers, bad driving and bad roads just GET to you.
Ankur, I feel for you. We put up with such people on the road every day.
But, do you think the trucker or the lady learnt a lesson?

I have been thinking about the root cause of our traffic jams and road rage and my thoughts indicate to one simple desi phenomenon : I'm smarter than you

Let's reflect on the reasons why we overtake cars on the road:
1. Vehicle in front of me is being driven slowly : Each person has a limit to his/her capability and the road is not a race track.
2. The other lane looks vacant/moves faster : "Dekha!!", now I'm the fast lane and am ahead.
3. Driver of the vehicle ahead is distracted. : Safety concern. Possibly valid reason
4. I just don't like to slow down! : another "Dekha!!" moment. I am Flash+Schumacher+KnightRider combined
5. And then there's those who have returned from Europe/US/Related to Napoleon etc : Drive on the wrong side of the road
: Again, "Look at those buffoons stuck in the traffic! I am the smart one taking the short cut!"

The idea that "you have to be smarter than everyone else" has been ingrained within the Indian mindset right from our childhood. When we evaluate kids based on their academics, extra curricular activities etc, we are just promoting this same mentality that is evident on our roads today.

It has to start with giving respect, including us giving respect to everyone around us.

In your case Ankur, let the trucker and lady be. Trying to teach them a lesson, you loose your temper and they get their egoes hurt and hence defensive.
What would help is arrange for some road safety sessions for the kids in your colony and ensure that they learn to respect each other and they dont end up baying for each other's blood on the road when they reach 18.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 13:31   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Trying to teach them a lesson, you loose your temper and they get their egoes hurt and hence defensive.
What would help is arrange for some road safety sessions for the kids in your colony and ensure that they learn to respect each other and they dont end up baying for each other's blood on the road when they reach 18.
Thank you for your remarks sir. I completely agree with you. I learnt my lesson and henceforth will not be allowing anyone else to change my road mood. I will be ensuring that all the kids in my building take road safety lesson as soon as they obtain their DL. Already encouraging them to join Team-BHP. Thanks once again.
ankurchaturvedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 15:27   #431
BHPian

Default Road rage confession

Quote:
Thank you for your remarks sir. I completely agree with you. I learnt my lesson and henceforth will not be allowing anyone else to change my road mood. I will be ensuring that all the kids in my building take road safety lesson as soon as they obtain their DL. Already encouraging them to join Team-BHP. Thanks once again.

I work and live around the most jammed up roads in Bangalore and yes, it brings out the monster in you. Once my sister was sitting besides me and she got to see that side of me - cursing, cutting lanes, etc. Poor soul, she made an effort and found easy steps to avoid this on some online link:

1. Attend your nature call before you start out.
2. Keep updating your music list.
3. Keep yourself hydrated. Very Important.
4. Chew a gum while driving. (Sugar free if you're diabetic)
5. Put your phone on drive mode or airplane mode while driving.

Believe it or not, it has somewhat worked for me.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 07:54   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Believe it or not, it has somewhat worked for me.
It works, but sadly not for very long. My trips are usually short as the office is about 5-6km away, even then I encounter that one raging loon who spoils my mood completely. Its the sheer ego of the drivers that irritates me because I do everything so that I stay in my lane, give space to those who are going straight before turning and keep a good distance from other vehicles. With the others the opposite happens, they do everything possible to push me out of my lane by illegally coming from the opposite lane, cut me off left, right and centre and yet defend their actions by giving a constipated stare.

I cannot tolerate it every time, just this week while I was going through a small narrow stretch keeping to my lane a small car rushes in from the other size occupying almost 20% of my lane, honking away. As our cars met there was a huge pit on his side so without even waiting a few feet before to let me pass he comes right in (at great speed) and blocks the car. I didn't have an inch to spare on my left and my car was substantially wider than his. He goes on to pull down the window to give me a stare and I've had it.. I got out angrily and told him to come out and see how much space I have on the left, he got out in a hurry too as if its a competition and then I realised I'm half a foot taller than this guy (mostly because he wasn't tall) Grudgingly he took the car over the border of the pit whilst still having the irritated look.

Now as usual people can ask me why I didn't stop much before the pit to give HIM the way.. why should I? The pit was on the other lane at the extreme corner, if I had such a blockage in my lane I'd wait until the other side is clear to pass around it. Secondly I was going at a normal 20kmph or lesser and he barges right in at 40-50 kmph. This isn't the first time either, I've had a two wheeler violating a one-way steaming towards me in a major main road.. he then expected me to give way while I try to negotiate the full flow of traffic to my left.. I tried it but then I stopped and waited right there blocking him out. As his expletives flew I got out once again and within a few seconds a cop came and gave the motorist his due.

Both the times, I myself don't know why I got out.. but sometimes when people take the breaking of rules for granted, where they throw concepts of lane keeping, one-ways and signals to reckless abandon I feel they need to resisted. Also while I did that just to point to people the obvious fact that they're being anti-social anarchists, I'm also more than capable of defending myself should they feel that I'm being threatening or violent just by getting out of the car.

Both the times I had a perfect light breakfast, was well hydrated, had slept well before and was listening to music like jazz/lounge.. trust me they know exactly what to do to push the triggers. Road rage happens because one of the motorists acted like an exceptional moron and caused/almost caused damage to the property of another person by breaking the law.. lets not forget that. Having said all this I still am a calm person by nature and have never violated the law (a decade of driving and not ONE ticket except for a parking violation since the board was set 50 feet away), and I still do believe that we must cut our losses of time/money and move on even if the fault was 101% that of the other motorist.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:51   #433
BHPian

I was feeling pretty bad after my road rage incident with the lady in the ANHC, since she lives in the same colony i was thinking of going over to her place and apologising in person. But lo behold, yesterday i spotted the her again, going at a breakneck speed within the premises ,again on high beams with fog lights on. I do not wan't to be judgmental or pacify my own ego but now i have started to think that she really is a bad driver and altough what i did a couple of days was 100% wrong, maybe the fault does not lie with me alone. A small voice in the back of my mind (and that voice is getting louder) is telling me that she got what she deserved. This is the problem with dealing with bad drivers. We initially feel guilty for our own actions but in retrospect it was they who triger it.The problem is our own mental health and driving habits deteriorate due to their actions. I have put her as an example in front of me, of how not to drive. If i ever feel i am driving rashly, the image of the ANHC flashes in my mind's eye now and my reaction to it. This really puts a brake on my rash/fast driving as i realise that if i continue to drive in this manner, it will look criminal in people's eyes as well as my own self image gets hurt. I do not wish to be counted in the same league as her.
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 13:22   #434
BHPian

Road Rage captured on dashcam in UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rriageway.html
autobahnjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 20:48   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now get this, i normally drive at speeds of less than 5 KMPH inside my society premises. This lady starts honking, inside a residential area (probably urging me to go fast in an area where kids were playing)
All said and done, speed of less than 5 kmph is criminal! Even in society premises man! Honestly I would have honked and flashed too if I was the one behind you. One should drive safe but there is a thin line between Safe vs obstructing traffic behind you in the guise of safety. So ideally you should let cars behind you pass as they might not agree with your "less than 5 kmph speed limit".
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote