Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th February 2012, 19:20   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
How do you guys think I should have reacted??"
Let me give some filmy advice which I would not advice you do; but a few instances are known to me when I was in Delhi and Lucknow during 1978 to 1986. Remember your first option should be to walk/drive away but if you have the misfortune of meeting up with a drunk or two who do not intend leaving you unscathed then you could try some Rajni style antics.

Carry a number plate cover like the plastic ones used by cops to cover the number plates at all times . Carry a full cover hood to cover your face at all times. Drive around with the Iranian flag which is very similar to the Indian flag when hoisted on the car and now most cops will not trouble you. When push comes to shove and its a last resort move; first cover the less visible number plate then the more visible one and then cover your face with the hood. The act alone is enough to make most sane citizens scoot. Students from Khalsa College, Delhi just used to untie their turban partially and cover the face. A drunk would probably not understand your antics but any sane person will walk away immediately unless he has got a lethal weapon with him and is willing to take you on. Please note that this is purely filmy.

If you are traveling with lady family members in the middle of the night on a deserted stretch your best option is to run over any impediment and report at the nearest police station. After all when it comes to family their safety comes first before the health of miscreants who intend to trouble your women folk. What ever be the impediment never ever stop till you reach home or the nearest police station.

The above narration is purely filmyfantasy so do not castigate me but I suppose you get the idea.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 23:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't want to start up another thread. But, 2 consecutive incidents last night definitely got me totally fueled up to throw a few punches if not pull a shot with an air-gun.
Uncle Scrooge! Did you get any response from the Bangalore Traffic Police after you ranted about the baton swinging cops on their facebook page?
leodelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 00:49   #18
Team-BHP Support

What scares me the most about this incident, is that today it was an air-gun. Tomorrow, it would be the real-deal.

What's happening to Bangalore? People are losing it, and I don't blame them.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th February 2012 at 00:51.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 13:16   #19
BHPian

Having been part of multiple incidents of road rage myself, where I was not at fault in all but one of them, the thing I have learnt is to practice defensive driving, mind your own business, care less about anyone who tries to make your day bad, and just pass the scene as quickly as possible.

@mempheS.D: take the language thing seriously. There are a few other ways you could have reacted but that require being able to communicate with them in some way.
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 13:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What scares me the most about this incident, is that today it was an air-gun. Tomorrow, it would be the real-deal.
@Suhaas, the air-gun thing is quite close the real-deal. When it hits at a vulnerable point, it can cause pretty bad damage. At that point, it wont matter what kind of gun it was.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 13:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Suhaas, the air-gun thing is quite close the real-deal. When it hits at a vulnerable point, it can cause pretty bad damage. At that point, it wont matter what kind of gun it was.
An airgun can KILL.
Woman kills lover in playful prank - Times Of India
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 13:54   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
An airgun can KILL.
Exactly. I have escaped once, when I held an airgun that I thought was not loaded and wanted to pull the trigger just to see how strong the blast of air will be. If I had, I would not have been telling you this today.

Quote:
But, REALLY.. "IS IT ILLEGAL TO HAVE TEA by the ROADSIDE after midnight?
No, it is not. But it is not safe either. This time it may have been the cops who you encountered, but next time it may be more serious. We have even had advisory's circulated by our admin dept (office) on this subject.

Any way, do you think that chai is hygenic ? How far were you from home / office that you could not wait for that cuppa ?

Last edited by condor : 16th February 2012 at 13:55.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 14:10   #23
BHPian

@mempheS.D: In Bangalore, if you don't know Kannada, the locals will harass you. The Linguistic fervor is high in Bangalore. For any public incident, religiously speak in Kannada only. Never try to speak in English and Hindi is also an absolute no-no. Urdu is acceptable in some areas. Grade 4 workers - cops, autorickshaw drivers, taxis, chai wallahs, etc. all immediately bond if you ask them 'ean saar, ennadru thondre idiya'. But if you say 'Sorry, thankyou, Bhai, etc, You're in trouble.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 15:34   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
In Bangalore, if you don't know Kannada, the locals will harass you. The Linguistic fervor is high in Bangalore. For any public incident, religiously speak in Kannada only. Never try to speak in English
I have stayed in Bangalore from mid-ninetes till 07 and consider the city to be my home. Never faced issues due to my lack of Kannada. I can understand, but never cared to speak. Because it was not needed. We could do pretty well with English and broken Kannada.

But things have changed from great to poor in the recent few years. Really sad situation of state where people are high-strung, locals are dissatisfied and lawlessness prevails. City was not like this before.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 18:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
Uncle Scrooge! Did you get any response from the Bangalore Traffic Police after you ranted about the baton swinging cops on their facebook page?
Lu-P-n-Ghee, yeah the noobs directed me to raise a complaint on the bcp.gov.in website that was NOT responding, which brings my complaint to a 'logical' conclusion indeed. Naw hops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Having been part of multiple incidents of road rage myself, where I was not at fault in all but one of them, the thing I have learnt is to practice defensive driving, mind your own business, care less about anyone who tries to make your day bad, and just pass the scene as quickly as possible.
Agreed. I try my best to resort to this method but there are those days esp after you've been cornered in the office helplessly by your manager, and then out on the road when you're just about breathing freedom, and then all of a sudden some weirdo tries to pull another one at you, and then it's kinda difficult to keep cool. But yes, I need to train myself to let go off such incidents and 'mind my own' business lest I fall prey to that bullet next time.

Quote:
No, it is not. But it is not safe either. This time it may have been the cops who you encountered, but next time it may be more serious. We have even had advisory's circulated by our admin dept (office) on this subject.

Any way, do you think that chai is hygenic ? How far were you from home / office that you could not wait for that cuppa ?
I agree with you condor. The chaiwala was just about 500m from home, but there are those some things you do, where hygiene takes a back seat in comparison to the feel-good. Not that that chai is great.. but, it brings about a logical conclusion to my day especially during the winters. Maybe it's another habit I need to get over with.
Quote:
@mempheS.D: In Bangalore, if you don't know Kannada, the locals will harass you. The Linguistic fervor is high in Bangalore. For any public incident, religiously speak in Kannada only. Never try to speak in English and Hindi is also an absolute no-no. Urdu is acceptable in some areas. Grade 4 workers - cops, autorickshaw drivers, taxis, chai wallahs, etc. all immediately bond if you ask them 'ean saar, ennadru thondre idiya'. But if you say 'Sorry, thankyou, Bhai, etc, You're in trouble.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
But things have changed from great to poor in the recent few years. Really sad situation of state where people are high-strung, locals are dissatisfied and lawlessness prevails. City was not like this before.
Yeah, these are the same words I hear from most of my Bangalorean friends and their families who have been here since generations together. It's difficult to get to the root-cause of the problem, and it's saddening to hear that people flocking in from other states have caused this; both of which I disagree. Because, the answer lies in the problem statement itself that some miscreant/s is trying to connect both of these 'supposedly true facts' to his own politco/economico/socio-advantage. The sooner we all realize that as better INDIANS, there is hope that Bangalore CAN BE what it used to be, at least socially if not traffic-wise!
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 19:40   #26
BHPian

@dot: Completely agree. Bangalore was fine till the late 90's. With the IT boom, and the increasing cosmopolitian population the locals just didn't react well. Initially there was admiration and people not speaking Kannada were treated like royality and given a warm welcome. Then by mid 2000's the love started turning to hate and now there is an undercurrent of hostility towards anyone percieved as an outsider. The people who have been here before the 90's, myself included don't face the issue though. That is one of the reasons why Bangalore is not a metropolitian city. It is not cosmopolitian enough, unlike the four Metros.
The solution will be to integrate into the society with the least fuss and to acknowledge that the local is your better. This often gets your work done.
Humility is a virture.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 19:46   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh yeah, sorry my bad

It can be very painful and can pierce the body. So does something as dangerous as a metal-pellet air-gun - that can potentially kill - warrant the need for an arms-licence? Such weapons must be made harder to acquire.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 09:26   #28
BHPian

As regards learning the local language to better deal with the problems how would it help because on our trip to leh we had three incidents with harassing cops in Punjab Rajasthan and UP respectively .knowing the language would have just helped us comprehend what they were saying not in dealing with their attitude of arbitrarily picking on us just because of the MH number plate.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dot: Completely agree. Bangalore was fine till the late 90's. With the IT boom, and the increasing cosmopolitian population the locals just didn't react well. Initially there was admiration and people not speaking Kannada were treated like royality and given a warm welcome. Then by mid 2000's the love started turning to hate and now there is an undercurrent of hostility towards anyone percieved as an outsider. The people who have been here before the 90's, myself included don't face the issue though. That is one of the reasons why Bangalore is not a metropolitian city. It is not cosmopolitian enough, unlike the four Metros.
The solution will be to integrate into the society with the least fuss and to acknowledge that the local is your better. This often gets your work done.
Humility is a virture.
I agree with you. Most of the problems faced are in the outskirts of the city. I dont think people in the old parts of the city behave this way. Its is the still out skirt rural areas (mostly north east and east) who have not responded well to the growth.

Not cosmopolitan enough? Tell that to the businesses. It has been found that it is indeed very cosmopolitan (except the great Mumbai). Its just that together the people have not found an identity.

Also, people moved in recently (less than a decade) are also not that patient. We are Indians but then we have different cultures where some assimilation is necessary.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 09:27   #30
BHPian

@srishiva: while the work places have become cosmopolitan and also living quarters, the streets are still laging behind. And it's in the streets and shops where all these problems occur.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote