Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th March 2013, 00:10   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Rightly said apachelongbow. I guess things would be peaceful if we go back to the 80s ! Vote bank politics are here to stay, looks so !

Apart from all what's written here, regardless, the blood pressure levels, anger and aggression is going really high all over. Some people try to vent out the anger by getting violent, driving rash, drinking, injuring self etc.

I guess its also to do with the following possibilities:

- people are under stress due to peer pressure (of achieving something quickly)
- work and family related pressure
- lack of confidence on police and other law enforcement agencies (reasons for violent reactions in the event of any incident)
- influence of alcohol, drugs and hang over.
- People also don't have any avenue to vent their anger, their sorrows, worries etc.
- Over confidence that money can solve every possible issue, including murder etc.
- People think they are victims of destiny ! Luck never favored them to get rich like others

Everyone seems to be a hot cracker, waiting to burst at the slightest hint of provocation. Road rage is one of the after affects of the above possibilities. I would not be surprised if gun culture comes soon to Indian metros. Although dreadful, it is not far away, I am worried !

I have had few colleagues who did something really stupid on road when they get angry. Fortunately, they did not end up in trouble and good sense prevailed later on.
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 16:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
'mannina magane'
It is "mannina maga"
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 16:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Rightly said apachelongbow. I guess things would be peaceful if we go back to the 80s ! Vote bank politics are here to stay, looks so !

Apart from all what's written here, regardless, the blood pressure levels, anger and aggression is going really high all over. Some people try to vent out the anger by getting violent, driving rash, drinking, injuring self etc.

Everyone seems to be a hot cracker, waiting to burst at the slightest hint of provocation. Road rage is one of the after affects of the above possibilities. I would not be surprised if gun culture comes soon to Indian metros. Although dreadful, it is not far away, I am worried !

I have had few colleagues who did something really stupid on road when they get angry. Fortunately, they did not end up in trouble and good sense prevailed later on.
Its quite interesting to observe on road and off the road behavior. Drivers of heavy vehicles consider themselves top dog when on the road. Likewise a sumo/quallis taxi driver feels all powerful once he is behind some heavy metal. I think these folks get a feeling of unbridled power once behind the wheel of a big vehicle and are unable to control it.

Extending this hypothesis further, a physically weak, junior or middle level professional who has no poweress in office or elsewhere becomes inflated once he/she is behind the wheel of his 'big' car/suv. So out comes the pent up frustration and rage, and makes him want to show the world what he is made of.
You can observe this if you observe the body posture and body language of such a road hog/bully, who will look, act and feel all powerful behind his car, but once outside, he is back to being the weak loser that he always was.

Last edited by navin : 15th March 2013 at 12:57. Reason: edited by navin - lets not pass judgement.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 18:34   #49
BHPian

Please do not post hate comments saying that North Indian aspirants are the victims always and also not that South Indians are not competent/talented enough. Its not that northies are always soft targets and southies are goondas, when somebody migrates to another state it is their responsibility to respect the locals and their culture but if you turn a blind eye and do thing as you wish you are bound to get an opposite response.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 17:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Please do not post hate comments saying that North Indian aspirants are the victims always and also not that South Indians are not competent/talented enough. Its not that northies are always soft targets and southies are goondas, when somebody migrates to another state it is their responsibility to respect the locals and their culture but if you turn a blind eye and do thing as you wish you are bound to get an opposite response.
How do you respect local culture? By learning Kannada/Marathi/Hindi/Gujarati ?by celebrating local festivals? A lot of people do both of these. Even if they do not it is not a disrespect to local culture?how can it be ?what is respecting local culture ?
acroback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 18:50   #51
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well, they say 'smile' is an universal language. This is enough to get the attention of the other person and also the respect. I guess most of you know how KA people feel about TN and vice versa. This is very much Sout Indian v/s South India !!!!!
I used to drive my KA car in Chennai for 2 years and been a target for many autos, bikers, taxis, traffic police, etc.

The best way to peek into the 'culture' for me was to listen to local FM station. That gives you a lot of insight.

Treat others like how you yourself want to be treated by others. Join forums like TBHP, Food Lovers, Beach Runners, Park Strollers, Movie buffs, Window shoppers try to hang around with the local people to understand them more.

The first step is to knock on the neighbour's door in your own apartment and try to get to know them. If you are not ready for this, continue to lead an isolated / descriminated life.

BTW, when you are in your own state, respect the other vehicles with a different state's plates. The moment you see a UP regn plate in BLR, and if at all you had a bad experience anywhere in UP anytime back in the history, your blood may start boiling !
Practice self control.
shimshumara is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 19:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore's problem per se, is the appeasment of the local kannadigas by local politicans/goons. That silly concept of 'mannina magane' translated as sons of the soil, has spoilt the brains of all the low income thugs who get away with murder, simply because they are the local vote banks.

Since they are not a part of the progress, it is easy for them to blame 'outsiders' for stealing their 'rightful' inheritance to work in software companies or live a good life. Every 5 years the politicans/goons reinforce this misbelief during their election campaigns.

Its not just Bangalore, similar incidents can be seen in Mumbai, where in the local goons keep thrashing north Indian aspirants who come to seek govt jobs or railway jobs, as if by pushing the other state's people out, their lazy votebanks are capable of getting work.

Its high time the educated and working class rise up, and get rid of this menace, by voting and kicking out goon/politicos from local and state bodies.
Its way OT. Even hardcore kannada organizations never talk about IT jobs for Kanndadigas. Only low skilled ones, maybe. I haven't even heard this for so many years. Lets stick to the topic. There certainly isnt a regional party similar to what one has in MH.

By the way, I honked at a Innova who was blocking the way inside office complex. He comes shouting at me and when he found I am also a Kannadiga, he tells where are you from (in Bangalore). So they just need you to be different from them so that they can bully you. Nothing about the language/local thingie.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 19:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its way OT. Even hardcore kannada organizations never talk about IT jobs for Kanndadigas. Only low skilled ones, maybe. I haven't even heard this for so many years. Lets stick to the topic. There certainly isnt a regional party similar to what one has in MH.

By the way, I honked at a Innova who was blocking the way inside office complex. He comes shouting at me and when he found I am also a Kannadiga, he tells where are you from (in Bangalore). So they just need you to be different from them so that they can bully you. Nothing about the language/local thingie.
May be you should hear speeches made by almost all politicians in Karnataka, ad read up on various us versus them issues including the famous Kaveri. Anyways road rage on non Kannada speaking issue is not OT as you put it above.
You don't need a regional party promoting regionalism when the whole region is dominated by it.
As per your own example above, the localite wanted to pick up a fight with you, thinking that you are not a Kannada speaking person. If this is not large scale Xenophobia, I wonder what else qualifies.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 19:21   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
when somebody migrates to another state it is their responsibility to respect the locals and their culture but if you turn a blind eye and do thing as you wish you are bound to get an opposite response.
What has the victim done in a road rage incident which goes against the culture of India or whatever state that incident takes place in? Was he insulting the local patriotic leaders or stalwarts/poets/actos/other famous people of that state? Was he making fun of the cuisine there or perhaps the gods that they worship? It was just a simple case of 2 drivers making a mistake, leading to a small accident. I find this whole concept of respect stupid, be it any state or city. It is just a way to add a different colour to the whole episode by the local to help shy away from the responsibility of the accident.

Having said that it is no secret that every city has its own character and image. Off late over the years bangalore has got that image where atleast during road rage incidents people from outside are targeted on the merits of there origin. And yes I have stayed in Bangalore for 6 years.
Just like Delhi has the image of being rowdy where you won't be targeted because you are from outside. Rather eveyone and anyone is targeted. We cant hide away from these realities which have established themselves after a large number of incidents day in and day out.

Last edited by drmohitg : 15th March 2013 at 19:42.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 12:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

You make 2 points.
Quote:
Please do not post hate comments saying that North Indian aspirants are the victims always and also not that South Indians are not competent/talented enough.
Right, thats valid.
Quote:
Its not that northies are always soft targets and southies are goondas, when somebody migrates to another state it is their responsibility to respect the locals and their culture but if you turn a blind eye and do thing as you wish you are bound to get an opposite response.
Is any state's culture vastly different from country's culture? Any specific instances of 'state culture' would be useful to understand your idea.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 10:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be you should hear speeches made by almost all politicians in Karnataka, ad read up on various us versus them issues including the famous Kaveri. Anyways road rage on non Kannada speaking issue is not OT as you put it above.
You don't need a regional party promoting regionalism when the whole region is dominated by it.
As per your own example above, the localite wanted to pick up a fight with you, thinking that you are not a Kannada speaking person. If this is not large scale Xenophobia, I wonder what else qualifies.
You did not read my post. The guy picked up a fight even after knowing I that I am local. They just need to fight. Its some way of rebellious behaviour from people having less vs others. I request you not to use big hate words.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 11:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You did not read my post. The guy picked up a fight even after knowing I that I am local. They just need to fight. Its some way of rebellious behaviour from people having less vs others. I request you not to use big hate words.
Please point out which hate words have i used here?

For your understanding Xenophobia is not a hate word, it simply means fear of outsiders.

If you happen to see around Bangalore you can see how much of Xenophobia is present. People who cant speak the local language (Kannada) are victimized not only by the local populace, but also by govt machinery like the police.
There are umpteen posts asking people to learn Kannada to get ones way about in Karnataka. Why? Is a non Kannada speaking person not a citizen of India? Is Kannada a national language that everyone needs to know it?
Speaking of Maharashtra's regional party which is promoting hatred, as much as I dislike them, please understand they are a party who thrives on such confrontation. The local person on the street doesnt pick a fight with you just because you dont know Marathi.
There are no incidents in Mumbai as in Bangalore where a person was assaulted, victimized, robbed or worse because he/she couldnt argue in Kannada.
I am saying this inspite of being a Kannadiga myself, I am ashamed at this amount of regionalism and Xenophobia in Bangalore.

Please note: I insist on learning the local language, culture and customs of the place where we reside, it helps in better integration, however forcible differenciation on basis of language is not only wrong it is unconstitutional.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 11:35   #58
BHPian

^ +1 to that.
Me too a Kannadiga and am seeing this xenophobic attitude spreading fast and getting aggressive day after day. I have been brought up in different parts of the country and people say I look like a 'Northie'. Even though I initiate the conversation in Kannada with auto drivers/ shop keepers, many times they still try to talk Hindi with me. I do not have problem as long as you try to fool me because of it.
I have myself been a victim of this attitude many times and I don't understand why such discrimination is born? We should be able to live anywhere and still lead the same quality of life in India. I have better experience of being treated in foreign countries than in Bangalore! to make it clear, am not saying this attitude is with everyone, just that it is on the rise and even educated class sticks to it! That is what is frustrating.
MotoNanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:14   #59
BHPian

I guess, everyone (local or not) do get harassed in road rage cases. The typical mentality is, to not accept the fault and point finger at you or others. The question of local language comes only if you decide to confront the other driver only after the incident with cutting/nudging/clash with vehicles. Obviously, if the other person in the road rage is local, he will try to take advantage. I guess, this is very common every where.

About learning local language or culture. Do we need to learn because it helps during fights or road rage? We should not look at adopting the local language as "if you don't learn then you will be punished", and that's why you should learn. This thought process will create the mental block to adopt. Try to learn the local language for other advantages in your day to day life, be it for shopping, dealing with government offices, etc. When there are more than 50% people you need to communicate who are not familiar or comfortable with other languages, then we need to recognize the need to adopt.

My observation is, people working in private companies have to mostly use English as primary language, which comprises most of our time. And we find it difficult to adopt. But, people working in stores, restaurants etc put effort to learn local language as it is a need for them. Even for that matter, housewives adopt to local languages faster, as they deal with locals more frequently than their better half.

And what I meant by adopting local language is, just learn to speak, no need to read or write.

Just my 2 paise...

Last edited by Selective : 19th March 2013 at 12:31.
Selective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 14:15   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Is Kannada a national language that everyone needs to know it?
No, Kannada is an official language as per Indian constitution. In fact, there is no provision in Indian constitution declaring any language as national language. Link to Gujarat high court's observation:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...ticle94695.ece
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote