Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 15:25   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

The heading of this topic is "Another Road Rage incident in Bangalore", but looking at each and everyone's response, it seems the actual purpose of this topic has been deviated from the topic, instead there seems to be RCA being done.

Folks,

Road rage doesn't happen because:

You are not a localite or You don't know the local language

Road rage happens based on the mental state of a human being. A man might have fought with his wife at home and being helpless, he might vent out anger on road, when some biker while squeezing through the traffic might hit his OVRM enraging him to abuse him with words or curse him too.

There might be several reasons behind it. You would have hurled some abuses on someone or the other on road. You might have mumbled it within yourself or shouted out loud.

I did and have done on several occasions.

I wouldn't blame it on because someone is from Local and knows local language he is king and can do anything and walks scott free.

Many locals have been victim's of Road rage too. What do you have to say about it now?

All I would say, be calm as much as possible, play some good music soothing and relaxing you when in traffic.

Sing loud along with music, which easily distracts you from getting involved in such road rage incidents.

I AM A LOCAL of BANGALORE. I have been on both sides of Road Rage. Been to PS too.

So folks, lets restrain on HATE Comments here.

Why differentiate from NORTH INDIAN/SOUTH INDIAN? we are INDIAN's first. Respect each other, respect their culture wherever you are.

Last edited by kicksperliter : 19th March 2013 at 15:25. Reason: Correcting statements
kicksperliter is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 16:45   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Sorry to hear about your incidents Mempes D, but I think boorish corrupt cops are all over the country, as they say, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. As for the drunk, well, the poor sod was not in his senses, and there was really nothing you could have done differently, without escalating matters and making a bad situation even worse.

I don't understand why the folks here are making this an issue about language or regional bullies, face it, these bullies are everywhere in India, ofcourse its worse in some cities as compared to others, but its there nevertheless.

Advising people to learn the local lingo is not really the solution, although I can see how it might help resolve issues, but we're trying to integrate with the world, not get isolated. So, really, Memphes, no words of wisdom on how to handle things any better than you did. You kept your cool inspite of provocation and you made it out without escalating the issue. Kudos to you for that.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 21:28   #63
BHPian
 
mempheS.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
Thanked: 209 Times
Default

Almost another one today! I don't understand how I get into such situations over n over again. Maybe it's not just me. Or maybe it is.

Incident happened near wipro gate ecity. A white honda activa overtakes me from left (no big deal there as its a common technique employed). And then he slams his brakes right in front of me 6 feet away from my car with his right indicator on bang in the middle of the road. What followed was spontaneous. . A long honk from me with a frustrated look on my face. The guy then follows me till my apartment gate trying to get in front of me from the right side screaming in hindi that he wants me to get out of the car for a "talk". Its easy to assume that it wouldn't just be talk!

I continued to speed away in anger and fear..mixed, until I entered the apartment gates and noticed that the fellow was right behind until he was stopped by security.

Frightening. But what's the solution to deal with these monkeys? Do a wrong and then justify it.. Really inhuman nature.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 22:04   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

A lot of regular local blokes in Bangalore and Karnataka in general seem to be labouring deeply under this regional parochial and xenophobic sentiment. This is even true of Tamil Nadu and a number of other states in the current dispensation of things. Quite possibly brought on by the fact that it seems to be the educated outsiders and immigrants who are relocating here and snaffling all the good jobs and getting richer, buying properties etc, while the local blokes don't seem to be able to get a leg in.

This has been happening in Karnataka for the last ten to fifteen years ever since the IT Boom and in Chennai etc over the last 7-8 years.
Now, it is a large number of the immigrants who are paying the high taxes, buying cars, homes etc and contributing in no mean measure to the economic growth that the city or state is witnessing.

Unfortunately from the local side, it is only the politicians and real estate goons that seem to be making the money and the regular common man is left out in the cold. Therefore It seems to be a sort of misplaced rage, when they end up getting angry with some poor immigrant, who is only trying to survive so that he can pay his emi's...

The Kannadiga people and Tamil people generally in my experience have always been mild mannered and kind. This mildness is generally considered weakness. The average Northern bloke is by nature far more aggressive possibly because they have had to fight centuries of occupation and oppression, unlike the Southerners.

I think we would do well to remember that we all belong to one Nation and that we are Indians first. We need to respect other Indians, not think of ourselves as superior or inferior or as being from some other community or region.

The politicians are the ones responsible for fanning these parochial, regional and communal flames. Lets also bear that in mind.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th April 2013 at 22:07.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 22:18   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Thane
Posts: 43
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

I lived in Bangalore for 6 years and what I learnt that one takes even half a step of respecting local culture and mores; the people will take two steps forward to help. Sadly and to an extent true that "aggressive" mannerisms of a few North Indian folks earn apprehension, I say this with a sense of anguish as I am from North India myself and do not understand why many people wouldn't appreciate genial and warm hospitality of cities such as Hyderabad and Bangalore and learn a bit of it themselves.
dnahelix is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 20:32   #66
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,398
Thanked: 3,422 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Almost another one today! I don't understand how I get into such situations over n over again. Maybe it's not just me. Or maybe it is.

Incident happened near wipro gate ecity. A white honda activa overtakes me from left (no big deal there as its a common technique employed). And then he slams his brakes right in front of me 6 feet away from my car with his right indicator on bang in the middle of the road. What followed was spontaneous. . A long honk from me with a frustrated look on my face.

Frightening. But what's the solution to deal with these monkeys? Do a wrong and then justify it.. Really inhuman nature.
See I feel you really need to introspect on what you wanted to achieve by honking on that activa. Even if you register your protest or displeasure that fool is not going to learn anything, forget admitting his mistake. So what do you then achieve out of the whole thing.? You had to infact endure all those extra moments of stress with real time possibility of getting into a fight. Simple advice: It is not your job to educate every errant driver. Next time just let him pass and keep going on your way.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:40   #67
BHPian
 
PetrolRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BBSR/Pune
Posts: 262
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

During my job life, I stayed 6 years in Kolkata and for last 3 years in Bangalore.

My observation, road rages are done by hooligans and unfortunately you find hooligans everywhere. And hooligans / rowdy people do not migrate. You find UP rowdy in UP, Odia rowdy in Odisha, Bengali rowdy in Bengal and of course Kannadiga rowdy in Karnataka.

If you rather point out at a rowdy you get a kick from him. If you are not a local may be you'll get two kicks. But whatever you are you will get something not very pleasant if you oppose a goonda. This is a very common fact. Then why do we bring locality and language into team bhp?

People who work to earn do not like to be in mess and stay away from them, only people who don't have any work, like creating mess to get attention to them and these people are everywhere.

So if we are not out there to correct the society, it is better not to give importance to those rowdies and that would be the best for them and us.
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 18:34   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KA
Posts: 336
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Friends I think we are going a little overboard with Bangalore Bashing. Been here from last 10 years and a north Indian (precisely an East indian ), I don't prefer to leave Bangalore at all even though have few times faced the embarrassment.

Every city has a flavour of regionalism and so has Bangalore. Go to Calcutta, Mumbai, chennai etc etc .. the locals or those who are there from a long time and call themselves the son of soil will try to score over you if they get a chance.

For those who say Delhi has only listeners: I landed at IGI with one of my clients (U.S citizen) and the way those moronic Bhaiyyas with Pan in their mouth made nasty comments can make any visitor run for cover. She was aghast to see and experience that nonsense.

For those who say its not elsewhere: I was in Calcutta (Howrah Stn) at the prepaid taxi stand. The Tamilian guy tried to get a voucher for some location and the counter guy simply charged him 150/- bucks more and made a fool of him.

The point it this is Our country my friend and it happens everywhere. You can't expect Bangalore to be any different albeit its still better IMO. Knowing a local language helps. Period.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
See I feel you really need to introspect on what you wanted to achieve by honking on that activa. Even if you register your protest or displeasure that fool is not going to learn anything, forget admitting his mistake. So what do you then achieve out of the whole thing.? You had to infact endure all those extra moments of stress with real time possibility of getting into a fight. Simple advice: It is not your job to educate every errant driver. Next time just let him pass and keep going on your way.
You are spot on. No one else but some hard natural lessons can only teach these guys what's right or wrong. We have to become social workers if we try to teach these guys that and even risking our lives during the engagement as most of them wouldn't even bother to look at it.

Idea is to just move on and forget it as another nail on the head.

Thanks!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th April 2013 at 18:47. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post. Thanks.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 20:59   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,879 Times
Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
See I feel you really need to introspect on what you wanted to achieve by honking on that activa. Even if you register your protest or displeasure that fool is not going to learn anything, forget admitting his mistake. So what do you then achieve out of the whole thing.? You had to infact endure all those extra moments of stress with real time possibility of getting into a fight. Simple advice: It is not your job to educate every errant driver. Next time just let him pass and keep going on your way.
I'm sure you said the above because you are concerned about our fellow member's safety. However not even registering a protest on someone's dangerous or threatening actions is not a sign of mutely accepting bullying and road rage? If we don't make an effort to change things around who else will?
And what has our member done? Just registered a protest the civilised way using a horn, if he had an angry face, no one has the right to follow him home or beat him for this. It's high time, we collectively need to stand up for what is right, merely berating on a forum or blaming politicians is not the solution. Neither we can expect a messiah to set things right. I for one would have stopped my car, stepped out and initially politely asked the active rider what his problem was, 90% it would have got sorted by normal talk. At least it would give him a chance to explain why did he slam the brakes and that would have been the end of it.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 22:36   #70
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,398
Thanked: 3,422 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
If we don't make an effort to change things around who else will?
And what has our member done? Just registered a protest the civilised way using a horn, if he had an angry face, no one has the right to follow him home or beat him for this. It's high time, we collectively need to stand up for what is right, merely berating on a forum or blaming politicians is not the solution. Neither we can expect a messiah to set things right. I for one would have stopped my car, stepped out and initially politely asked the active rider what his problem was, 90% it would have got sorted by normal talk. At least it would give him a chance to explain why did he slam the brakes and that would have been the end of it.
I disagree although I really want to act that courageous. But the truth is I am not ready to pay a price to teach some Ignorant driver. It only takes a small altercation to lead to those ugly road rage incidents even amounting to death. I am being very candid about it . Even agree that the chances of such an extreme situation is rare but then I believe in self preservation. To teach some idiot I am not willing enough to risk my all being, both physical and mental.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 18:58   #71
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 157
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
See I feel you really need to introspect on what you wanted to achieve by honking on that activa. Even if you register your protest or displeasure that fool is not going to learn anything, forget admitting his mistake. So what do you then achieve out of the whole thing.? You had to infact endure all those extra moments of stress with real time possibility of getting into a fight. Simple advice: It is not your job to educate every errant driver. Next time just let him pass and keep going on your way.
He very clearly mentioned in his post that his reaction was spontaneous, which is very normal. All he did was express his displeasure by honking once. I fail to see what's wrong with that really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A lot of regular local blokes in Bangalore and Karnataka in general seem to be labouring deeply under this regional parochial and xenophobic sentiment. This is even true of Tamil Nadu and a number of other states in the current dispensation of things. Quite possibly brought on by the fact that it seems to be the educated outsiders and immigrants who are relocating here and snaffling all the good jobs and getting richer, buying properties etc, while the local blokes don't seem to be able to get a leg in.

This has been happening in Karnataka for the last ten to fifteen years ever since the IT Boom and in Chennai etc over the last 7-8 years.
Now, it is a large number of the immigrants who are paying the high taxes, buying cars, homes etc and contributing in no mean measure to the economic growth that the city or state is witnessing.

Unfortunately from the local side, it is only the politicians and real estate goons that seem to be making the money and the regular common man is left out in the cold. Therefore It seems to be a sort of misplaced rage, when they end up getting angry with some poor immigrant, who is only trying to survive so that he can pay his emi's...

The Kannadiga people and Tamil people generally in my experience have always been mild mannered and kind. This mildness is generally considered weakness. The average Northern bloke is by nature far more aggressive possibly because they have had to fight centuries of occupation and oppression, unlike the Southerners.

I think we would do well to remember that we all belong to one Nation and that we are Indians first. We need to respect other Indians, not think of ourselves as superior or inferior or as being from some other community or region.

The politicians are the ones responsible for fanning these parochial, regional and communal flames. Lets also bear that in mind.
Being a Tamil who was born and brought up in Delhi, I can relate to every word you said here.

My experience in Bangalore has been largely good so far in my 8 year stint here. Most locals are very accomodating, and they atleast make an effort to understand what you are talking about even if you speak in Hindi and then try to guide you. I cannot say the same thing about Chennai though. It's very hard to survive there if you cannot speak Tamil.

I have had a couple of unpleasant experiences too in Bangalore due to my language barrier, but I would happily ignore them since there are bound to be a few elements like those in any city. Bangalore as a whole is one of the best cities to live in within India.

Learning the local language definitely helps, but it cannot be allowed to be an essential qualification to stay in the city. As you said, people should realise that we are Indians first, and nobody can or should label an Indian citizen who pays taxes in India as an outsider anywhere in India.

Last edited by Oxy : 17th April 2013 at 19:16.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 19:24   #72
BHPian
 
mempheS.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

I do hear both sides. And this was the exact altercation between the safe and the aggressive parts of my brain. Maybe it would have ended in just talk. Maybe it would have gone beyond "just talk". I'm sure it's the latter the way he followed.

The "RIGHT" thing to do is of course, standup and face it when you know you're god damn right. Yep, that would have sounded like me 10 years ago! Not any more.

Reason?
I believe what I did was right for me and my dependant family, as it's not my duty to educate a roadside e twerp about road manners. All I can do is pray that he learns it soon.

Thanks guys! This forum just helps me think calm.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 01:06   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwin.terminat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,382
Thanked: 1,270 Times
Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
People who cant speak the local language (Kannada) are victimized not only by the local populace, but also by govt machinery like the police.
I've been a victim of this callous attitude of some people in Bangalore.

Being a college going student on a 2 wheeler, I'm an obvious target in case of an accident. We, the youth, are expected to be rash and fast in our driving/riding. But I'm proud to say that I'm quite different. I follow rules not because someone is looking, but because I want to. I want to stay safe and this in turn keeps folks around me safe as well.

This is an incident that occurred on February 8th 2012.

I was going back home after college. I was on DVG Road, Basavanagudi. I was leisurely going about my business. I see a truck parked on the opposite lane when suddenly a maniac on a 2 wheeler jumps into my lane to try and get around the truck. I try to evade, but to no avail. He crashes into me, I someone manage to not go down with the bike. But the bike takes a fall. Now, this is a bike that I absolutely love. I take care of it like my depends on it.

My first reaction, anger. Why? I got hit for absolutely no fault of my own. What ensued was in English, a language I'm most comfortable with. I asked him if he has any brains, he says no, I concur with his observation. I pick up my bike and then see that the crash guard has been bent and the impact has caused to make a dent on the silencer. I was livid now.

I ask him to come with to a showroom right away and get things sorted. He says no showroom, some local mechanic. I refuse. Why? Because I care about my bike. I don't service it because I have to, but because I want it in tip top condition. All this while, our drama loving junta have gathered around. Suddenly someone in the crowd shouts out, "Kannadadalli maathado." translated to "Speak in Kannada" in a rough manner. I ignore his call and continue to negotiate with the offender(in my eyes). Again, some old lady from the crowd uses all the experience she got her gray hair from. Blatantly alleges that I must've been moving fast which is why this happened. I can't believe what is happening now. The crowd is jostling and one guy actually pushed me. I keep my cool. Folks around me are all pressurizing me to get to some local mechanic. Get to a local mechanic and lose the extended warranty I paid for? No way.

What happened next was what flummoxed me the most. 2 Traffic Cops reached the scene, they ask what happened. Instead of describing the situation, one member from the crowd says to them, "He's not talking in Kannada!". Ok, so why would a Traffic Cop care? Oh wait, he did!

He turns to me and tells me, "All you fellows think talking in English increases your grade." I tell him, "No Sir, not like that. I stammer. So when I speak in Kannada, it increases further." But did they care? No. They continued with their view on how I've polluted this city. They even asked me why I was making such a fuss over "minor" damage. Would they let me walk scot-free if I crashed into their pretty white Pulsars in a similar manner? I have my doubts. I had enough by now, I wanted nothing, just peace of mind. So while leaving, a constable asks me what I'm studying, I say engineering. His reply exuded brilliance, "Ivarige Buddhine Illa" which translates to, "Oh, these fellows have no brains." to which I actually asked him to shut his mouth.

Now, my point is, no one, absolutely no one has the right to tell me what language I should be speaking in. I respect the culture, doesn't mean I have to participate in it. I've lived in Bangalore ever since I was born, yet speak only broken Kannada.

Why? Because I never used to speak in Kannada from when I was young.
Why? Because I get nervous.
Why? I don't know the language too well.
So? I stammer.

This linguistic fanaticism has got to stop. I love this city. Its been my home for 21 years now. But if people are insensitive to a speech defect, I can no longer term them to be welcoming. The people I encountered that day make me hate the language.

I reported this on the BTP page, just read the comments that followed.
https://www.facebook.com/BangaloreTr...81374238594957

It's quite funny sometimes. How some people pride themselves to be Kannadigas but feel ashamed to call themselves Indians.

I've utmost respect for the state and all its inhabitants, but this nonsense has got to stop.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 24th April 2013 at 01:25.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 07:06   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,879 Times
Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I've been a victim of this callous attitude of some people in Bangalore.

It's quite funny sometimes. How some people pride themselves to be Kannadigas but feel ashamed to call themselves Indians.

I've utmost respect for the state and all its inhabitants, but this nonsense has got to stop.
Rightly put. These so called Kannada patriots are nothing but big morons. Likewise the Marathi manoos idioticity or the equivalent of the same in all states of India. Its high time we accept we are a divided nation populated by imbiciles, its not the British who adopted a brilliant divide and conquer strategy to rule us, its our extreme moronic behaviour which gave them an open chance to do so.
Lot of advice on this thread on the necessity to learn the local language, I respect the fact that its good to learn any language, but strictly speaking, learning Marathi for example to speak with the chaiwalla, the bai or vada pav seller is not a big benefit for me, maybe learning mandarin to get more business is. Forcing someone to learn a local language just to gain protection against goons is unacceptable. If we collectively refuse to cow down, its difficult for the goons to push us on to their agenda.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 10:47   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 256
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
This linguistic fanaticism has got to stop. I love this city. Its been my home for 21 years now. But if people are insensitive to a speech defect, I can no longer term them to be welcoming. The people I encountered that day make me hate the language.

I've utmost respect for the state and all its inhabitants, but this nonsense has got to stop.
Man, you and I are mirror images then!
What all you have said, here and also in the other thread about rants, echos every experience I have had and continue to have on day to day basis.
To clear things, am also a Kannadiga. I speak Kannada, but I can't when am in such situation. Words fail me and also my accent is not exactly like a typical Kannadiga. To many I look like a "Northy" and am easily made vulnerable to this lingusitic chaos. When I start pounding people in such cases in Hindi/ English (which am truly comfortable), I am the alien, even if I am the victim. Many a times I have been ridiculed/ offended/ abused by other drivers/ riders just because I do not break rules. Sometimes I seriously think are we people who adhere to rules, the stupid ones. To top it all, the behavior of the cops (not always though) is also like "kindly adjust/ it was your fault cos you look like a 'Northy'/ cos you cannot speak Kannada"
Does knowing a language and speaking it fluently the only way to prove am loving my country/ state/ culture? OTOH, offending your fellow people, abusing them, breaking law is OK?
MotoNanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linkway Honda Mumbai crashes my car EDIT: Another similar incident pg9! Dippy Indian Car Dealerships 143 23rd February 2010 19:18
OH NO!! Another Ferrari Enzo crashed.. and another... and another (w/ video) GTO The International Automotive Scene 72 26th May 2007 14:09
Another crash, another fire, another death in Delhi suman Street Experiences 7 15th December 2006 15:30
Road Incident in Surat vigsom Street Experiences 1 8th December 2006 15:04
Incident on Delhi-Noida DND Toll Road ! Help Badcheetah Street Experiences 6 1st October 2005 07:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks