Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th August 2013, 00:59   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I am making a desperate attempt indeed with a lot of help from friends and colleagues and my lady, but I can't understand how learning Kannada would prevent a jerk from jumping in front of my car, or how having tea by the roadside past midnight makes it 'supposedly' legal all of a sudden, if what you say is true.
Kannada will make the cops go a little easy on you and perhaps the jerk might back off once he knows you're from the same city. Basically, when matters turn ugly, the local language simply indicates that you belong to the city and you might also have "contacts". Sad, but true.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 04:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasimehrotra View Post
Sharing my today's experience at Delmia (maybe Dalmia) circle at Bangalore.
I have experienced such abusive language for the first time, and pity at my (our) situation. Road rage has become so rampant in our country, especially when one party is weaker ( in terms of number of people and gender). And lot of people join in to enjoy the show and probably take out their frustration. All we could do was to ignore and escape, when we really wanted to blow his (the other person who abused) head off.
Very sad that this lumpen scum element is becoming more and more rampant.
This kind of regional parochialism has got to stop sometime.
Let everyone realize that all over the world it is invariably the immigrants who make a city!
Look at New York, London, Bombay or anywhere.
Who pays the income taxes and other VAT and so on to help the city run?
Who contributes maximum to the local society?

It is the working person, who more often than not, is an immigrant or transferee!

Parochialism of this kind is the worst thing possible and Bangalore was never known for this. Now, sadly, it has become more the rule than the exception, especially fuelled by these Auto Rickshaw and Taxi Driver Scumbags.

I know there are passions running high on the forum whenever this topic comes up but sadly, getting angry at it is not going to help matters. Neither is ignoring it. We have to take the bull by the horns.

If you guys work for a reputed company, please connect with your local Admin guys and ensure that at all times, you keep their numbers handy. If you encounter such issues, call them, because they will be able to influence the scum police into doing their jobs instead of behaving the way they did, with you.

You have my sympathies, but only you, can guard against such incidents by being properly prepared.

In scenarios like these, ensure you take pictures surreptitiously if required and upload them with complete descriptions on the BTP Facebook page.

When you have pictures to prove what you say, you can walk into the Police Commissioners office on Infantry road as well, and lodge your complaint with your evidence, especially when the local scum police have not helped you.

Know your rights, use your access to technology and the power that comes with the knowledge that you are in the right, (if of course, you are indeed in the right!)
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 08:45   #108
BHPian

Narrated by my friend :

Sunday 18th Aug, 11 AM
HSR Layout Sector-2, 24th Main

My friend was going towards Koramangala in his Ford Ikon, alongwith his wife and 8 year old daughter. At a T-junction, while turning left he honked a slow moving black scorpio since an auto was approaching very fast from front. The Scorpio driver was fiddling with his mobile on the move. On hearing the horn, the Scorpio driver lost his cool, he overtook him rashly, cut in front of him alongwith impolite hand gestures. Then he started following him ...

My friend was terribly tense. But he was driving at normal pace. He took a left turn ( at Mantri Sarovar Apt. ) when the scorpio missed him. But after 2 km, the scorpio again appeared behind him. My friend was now sweating. But he still was driving normally inspite the scorpio tailgating. Suddenly I think the scorpio driver came to his senses and stopped following him.

My friend told me that there was a T-BHP sticker on the scorpio.

@Scorpio driver : If you are reading this, please accept my friend's sincere apologies for disturbing you. He never meant to be rude, but just wanted to alarm you of impending danger.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 08:54   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Narrated by my friend :

Sunday 18th Aug, 11 AM

My friend told me that there was a T-BHP sticker on the scorpio.

@Scorpio driver : If you are reading this, please accept my friend's sincere apologies for disturbing you. He never meant to be rude, but just wanted to alarm you of impending danger.
Why is your friend apologizing Ravindra?
Instead you should request the Scorpio driver to remove the sticker on his car. I highly suspect he is even a member, if he is not or if he is, then that sticker is passing the wrong message.
Using mobile phone will driving and showing hand gestures and tailing a person to scare him etc etc.
Good work on your friends part though to keep his cool.

Regards
tharian is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 17:43   #110
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Sharing my today's experience at Delmia (maybe Dalmia) circle at Bangalore. I was driving and hubby occupied the other front seat. It was evening rush hour and I was taking left in a signal with merging traffic. I slightly (important) touched an auto while turning, and there was absolutely no damage.
To be honest, its your responsibility to drive safe and not touch another vehicle which has the right of the way. By your description, it looks like you were trying to enter a road and the auto was already on that road. While you are saying that there was no damage to the auto, the auto driver might have felt differently.

It is also very likely that the auto guy was trying to intimidate and coax some money out of you.

Quote:
However, autowala came to my side and started raising his voice. All this while we were standing first at the signal waiting for it to be green. My husband called him on to his side to discuss, and he said something in local language which we obviously don't understand. Hubby asked him to speak Hindi or English, but maybe he didn't know either as he continued speaking something in the language he knows (obviously - no complaints, but it was problematic.
The auto guy and everyone else will go to the person driving the car. In this case, it happens to be you. If you don't want to face the brunt of being the driver, then please don't drive.

Regarding language problems, unfortunately thats a problem all over India. The same problem exists for Non-Hindi speaking people in the North. Bangalore is probably the best cosmopolitan city in the country. In terms of acceptance of outsiders , Bangalore is probably in the top 3 cities ( if not at the top). So if you have problems in Bangalore, I shudder to think of your situation if you were in Chennai, Hyderabad, Calcutta etc.

Quote:
Suddenly a man joins from nowhere, maybe another autowala and started abusing us in the saddest abusive language. He hurled direct abuses at me, using abusive words like Prost in Hindi. I felt very uncomfortable and rolled up the window on my hubby's side. He literally rammed his hand on the glass and the glass was all broken. We still kept our calm and asked the concerned autowala in our case to let us park the vehicle in the corner as signal was starting.

He agreed and we took a left, while I suddenly decided to drive away instead of stopping the vehicle and getting into any more trouble. We could escape but we are really amazed at how bad things can get here for such a small incident. We did our best to not loose patience and respond to the provocation but I am startled after this incident.
They are auto-rickshaw drivers for crying out loud. They are uneducated and have no class for most part. Can you expect anything more ?

And please don't generalize " how bad can things get here". This scenario exists all over India.

In fact in places like UP , a vehicle is considered nothing but a protective armor. So as long as people inside the vehicles are fine, not many care about the general status of the vehicle. Vehicles brush into each other and go on their merry way as if nothing happened. I happened to observe this in Lucknow.

However down south, people tend to be more possessive of their vehicles. So brushing into vehicles down South is different from up North. Not sure if you are experiencing a culture gap.

Quote:
Also, there is absolutely no support system in our country, there was no police wala around and even if he was, he never came to intervene. We even went to Arkere gate police station but was told to go to J.P Nagar. We are new to this city and not familiar with Police attitude in Bangalore, and thought it is a waste of time. After all it will boil down to regionalism.
I agree about the lack of support. We need more Honest policemen on the road to set a better system. I guess in civil cases, you need to go to the police station that has the jurisdiction. This exists all over the world (I think).

Also, I don't think Bangalore Police is that regional. You should have tried your luck. But the question here would be " How would you be drafting your case". You have admitted to brushing into an auto-rickshaw. What is to stop the Auto-rickshaw driver from claiming damage not done by you. Well, In general all auto-rickshaws have dents in every side. The driver could have easily said " Dent abc was caused by you".

And your claims of being harassed could be treated as " He said / She Said case". So unless you have any concrete proof ( Video/audio recording , eye witnesses etc.), there isn't much that police can do.

And to be honest, the police probably wouldn't have lodged your case in the first place. Because once they file the FIR they would need to solve the case as part of their SLA. I don't suppose you remember the registration number. And it is also likely that the registration number would be false and it is one of the many illegal auto rickshaws on the road.

Quote:
I have experienced such abusive language for the first time, and pity at my (our) situation. Road rage has become so rampant in our country, especially when one party is weaker ( in terms of number of people and gender). And lot of people join in to enjoy the show and probably take out their frustration. All we could do was to ignore and escape, when we really wanted to blow his (the other person who abused) head off.
I am sorry that you faced such abuse. But you were not picked on for belonging to the opposite sex. You were picked on for colliding with another vehicle.
dreadknight5 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 19:29   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Being an uneducated auto driver does not give them the right to abuse and assault anyone above their class. Respect for women is not something that is taught in schools or colleges or obtained at a local grocery store by paying money.
Is one is expected to just take it in their stride just because similar things happen all over the country and could be even worse?
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 19:45   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Narrated by my friend :

Sunday 18th Aug, 11 AM

me that there was a T-BHP sticker on the scorpio.

Clearly the Scorpio driver in this case is a near-terrorist. Tell your friend, poor chap, not to worry because I m reasonably sure no TBHP member worth his salt would behave as that creepybloke did!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 22:58   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post

To be honest, its your responsibility to drive safe and not touch another vehicle which has the right of the way. By your description, it looks like you were trying to enter a road and the auto was already on that road. While you are saying that there was no damage to the auto, the auto driver might have felt differently.

It is also very likely that the auto guy was trying to intimidate and coax some money out of you.

The auto guy and everyone else will go to the person driving the car. In this case, it happens to be you. If you don't want to face the brunt of being the driver, then please don't drive.

Referring to entire post and not just selected lines:

Quite entertaining misinterpretation leading to misrepresentation of the incident. I guessed that this simple narration will boil down to regionalism and it did, though quite late. Is it interesting to see how it was dragged to Regionalism and then compared to other cities in the country.

I have also lived and worked in dozen cities in India (metros and non-,metro) but fortunately never experienced this abuse. I was not generalizing by using "here", don't understand what lead you to think like that.

My friend you don't have to shudder thinking about my situation anywhere, I have travelled and driven in many cities in India and on highways too. :-) I was driving before this incident with all attention on road and will continue to do so forever, but it does not guarantee no mishaps ever. Lots of us have been a victim of other's or our fault on road, but that does not mean road rage is justified.

Regarding picked up for gender - did you conveniently ignore "weaker party in terms of number of people or gender" which means an elderly person or a person with family can also go through this. I was definitely not picked up because Of my gender, as my husband was with me but may be because we were perceived a weaker party. Victims of road rage are not picked, but once someone is in that situation, the amount of torture they go through maybe directly linked to their perceived profile by the offender.

Regarding cultural difference, I have not just come out of my protective family and acquainted hometown. I am an independent since I was 18 (which is like some 13 years now) stayed in many regions (north, central and western India) and honestly I have forgotten the culture I was born in. So cultural difference was uncalled for.

Lastly, Please do not advise to not drive for whatsoever reason. I have a valid driving license (obtained with all due formalities) and rightfully entitled to drive.
I have taken to bigger brunts (in all spheres of life) with utmost courage and since you are not aware of anything except this 1 incident, please refrain from making assumptions. Again it was uncalled for.

I am sorry if some parts of this post hurt you, but this was beyond I could ignore and digest. I am not indulging in this any further. Thanks
manasimehrotra is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 15:49   #114
BHPian

Hi All,

Stumbled upon this thread, with all this information about the traffic situation about Bangalore, feel like brushing my Kannada skills.
I was born and brought up, including my previous 2 generations, in Mumbai, if that makes me a Mumbaikar. However, my surname does have my native place added with kar. We speak English, Hindi, Marathi & Gujarati but no Kannada at home. My Kannada is 'Salp Salp baratade'

Will have to brush up my Kannada skills to survive, if I ever move to Bangalore. From what Ive known from my relatives, is that its the circle inspector (as one may call) who calls the shots. Befriend one your route and you may be safe in case of such situations. Cops are the same everywhere, there can be few who are helpful.

In Mumbai, like it or hate it, its your connect with the local Shiv Sena shakha that can help you. Ive never felt the need to use any of my contacts but yes they help. Yes, the thing about 'Aplache manss aahe' or 'our own people' does have its benefit here too. The cops can be helpful and very intuitive about people, they know whom to suspect and who to go easy with, may be meeting coming across so many people gives the experience. In my 14 years of driving, Ive never been stopped at any check point, some times at odd hours, with me driving alone.

I was once returned the fine, when he knew about my dad's shop and I geniunely did not have money to refuel. He offered to lend.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 23:05   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hi All,

Stumbled upon this thread, with all this information about the traffic situation about Bangalore, feel like brushing my Kannada skills.
Will have to brush up my Kannada skills to survive, if I ever move to Bangalore. From what Ive known from my relatives, is that its the circle inspector (as one may call) who calls the shots. Befriend one your route and you may be safe in case of such situations. Cops are the same everywhere, there can be few who are helpful.
While it is unfortunate that some people have been subjected to unprovoked bullying,the paranoia here is unreasonable.
It is not mandatory for non-Kannadigas to learn Kannada....to 'get-by'.
There are bad apples here,too and the only quick fix is to 'ignore and proceed' and if it gets beyond that .....you can always call the cops(or the shot calling Circle Inspectors).
Re:The post number,111 on this thread is downright stupid and offensive.Quote:
"Most autos are owned/blessed by politicians and rented out to barely-educated immigrants to the city."

It is the same as saying most black Fortuners are owned by the corrupt politicians/goondas and are driven by body builders with tattoos of snakes on their forearms and razor blades up their armpits prowling the streets of Bangalore..... to strike the unsuspecting outsider.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. We advise you to go through the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2013 at 11:38.
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 05:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Re:The post number,111 on this thread is downright stupid and offensive.Quote: "Most autos are owned/blessed by politicians and rented out to barely-educated immigrants to the city." It is the same as saying most black Fortuners are owned by the corrupt politicians/goondas and are driven by body builders with tattoos of snakes on their forearms and razor blades up their armpits prowling the streets of Bangalore..... to strike the unsuspecting outsider.
Im just musing here.

You know, if indeed all Autos were owned by politicos and rented out to barely educated immigrants, then it stands to reason that these immigrants themselves would not know the local language.

Unless of course what is meant is that these immigrants are from other parts of the same state.

Another generalism that is quite common in Karnataka. All drivers of White Scorpios or White Fortuners who are also dressed in white top to toe and are slightly darker in complexion are 'real estate devils'. In Tamil Nadu, people conforming to the same description as above are generalized as being 'political goons and thugs'.

Having said all this, in some way, this 'stereotyping' problem does come through, regardless of where we are and whom we are talking about.

I guess we need to somehow guard against that. At least, us educated, decent folk should learn, make the effort consciously and lead by example.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 05:25   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Another generalism that is quite common in Karnataka. All drivers of White Scorpios or White Fortuners who are also dressed in white top to toe and are slightly darker in complexion are 'real estate devils'. In Tamil Nadu, people conforming to the same description as above are generalized as being 'political goons and thugs'.
You forgot the "Gold Chain/Bracelet" part.
And indeed I have seen 90% of the real estate guys matching this description.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:16   #118
BHPian

Might i just add that we are all indians first.? White or black. scarphiyo or fartuneroo.... Yes the educated lot must lead by example.

And if it doesn't work... Well just pray that there should be a better tomorrow.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 13:29   #119
BHPian

Another sad story from my beloved city.

I asked them for help from harassers, they said adjust maadi
Selective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 16:01   #120
Senior - BHPian

It's no longer regionalism (if it ever was), it's all just a silly excuse to harass people who 'appear' to be 'outsiders' or 'weak' these days. It's amusing how quickly the aggressors become forgiving/magnanimous the moment you speak Kannada (or the local language of any place the incident happens in). If someone is really angry with you about something, why does one's language or origins matter?

I'm from Karnataka, but was born and brought up outside. I neither look the part (most local folks think I'm a 'Northie'), not do I have a local accent/twang to my spoken language, owing to not having grown up here.

I'll narrate just one example: One of my non-Kannadiga colleagues got into a minor fender-bender, and called me up for help because the other party was getting rowdy & abusive. It happened close to where I was located at that time, so I just walked up to the spot. I asked my friend in Hindi "Kya Hua? (What happened?)". The same moment I overheard one of the other group say out aloud, "banda innobba northie *****. (here comes another northie *****)". I looked at the guy and said simply "ee northie ***** Davangere nounu (this northie ***** belongs to Davangere [in karnataka])". I could feel the hostility going out of the conversation then and there.

There was no real damage to either vehicle, and I offered to have any repairs to their vehicles covered under my friend's third-party insurance, but refused to pay any cash to 'settle' the issue. They just made a face and walked away.

I've been in such roadside arguments myself sometimes, and most assume I don't know the language, until I open my mouth and all doubts (and doubters) disperse. This has nothing to do with regionalism, just miserable people trying to find a victim to vent their frustrations on.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th December 2013 at 16:22. Reason: Rephrased a point
Chetan_Rao is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote