Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th October 2014, 20:30   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

This was posted in a popular Bangalore group on FB. The victim is a relative. What irks me most is the lackadaisical attitude of the general public at large and police. The taxi driver class are a scum on their own and don't realise that if they are ever arrested or in jail, their family dies of hunger..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WinB...6644060104388/

I have decided that if I ever come across such an incident on the road, involving a yellow board class vs a white board, I will rush to the rescue of the white board, irrespective of who is at fault.

Last edited by hrman : 29th October 2014 at 20:33.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 12:10   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
This was posted in a popular Bangalore group on FB. The victim is a relative. What irks me most is the lackadaisical attitude of the general public at large and police. The taxi driver class are a scum on their own and don't realise that if they are ever arrested or in jail, their family dies of hunger..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WinB...6644060104388/

I have decided that if I ever come across such an incident on the road, involving a yellow board class vs a white board, I will rush to the rescue of the white board, irrespective of who is at fault.
I really feel very sorry for this incident. Its time that the government allows us to arm ourselves and shoot down such perperators. These guys are just a burden to mother earth!..If they can't protect us, they should at least allow us to protect ourselves...

Note: I know practically this is not going to workout or be possible. It just a rant of an law abiding citizen who suffers day to day at the hands of such a demoralized society...
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 23:45   #123
BHPian

Today something very small happened that made me change my opinion of the Bangalore we live in.

Cubbon Road, 4pm, bumper to bumper traffic. In front of me was a lone riding biker, and in front of him was a Nano with 2~3ppl. Next to us, a bus.

Nano guy had been driving carefully since the past ~50m in traffic, now stopped, but this biker wanted to squeeze between him & Bus and go to the next (small) gap.

Prolly we'd all switched off cars since 5 minutes & then the Nano guy took a few seconds extra to start, meanwhile, somebody took that small gap ahead.

Somehow this annoys the biker so much, after a minute as we started moving, ~20 meters ahead, he deliberately nudges the Nanos' left fender, breaking the side indicator lamp, & zoomed ahead.

For sure it was deliberate.

I can understand a small bit of traffic frustration, but this was just weird extreme behavior & I've never seen this nasty side of Bangalore traffic character.

I'm not a good writer, but I'm trying to say that there are some really nasty people out there who'll actually want to hurt others for even small stuff.

I mean yeah the traffic is bad, but what makes people So angry, that they look at each other as enemies, asif with some personal grudge !?

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 12th December 2015 at 23:50.
WorkingGuru is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 13:08   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post

I'm not a good writer, but I'm trying to say that there are some really nasty people out there who'll actually want to hurt others for even small stuff.
I know what you mean because a similar thing happened to me here in Pune. As I approached a major junction, the countdown for my side green to turn to red had come to 5 and there was a jam ahead already. So if I had got into the line, I would have been in the middle of another jam. So I stopped behind the white line even though there were 3 seconds remaining on the signal.

Now the bike rider behind me did not like this and he parked his bike and came to my door giving choicest abuses. I tried to explain to him my situation but he was in no mood to listen. Too sad that nowadays no one thinks that the signal will again change to green only after a quick one minute.
luvDriving is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 13:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
I tried to explain to him my situation but he was in no mood to listen.

OT:

Do not, I repeat, do not, lower your window to explain anything to anyone. The very fact that he is standing there abusing you shows that he is in no mood to listen to reason. No telling what will enrage him even more and lead to the situation escalating.

I have been commuting daily from Kothrud to Kharadi for the past 5 years, have seen all sorts on the road, and I assure you, it doesn't take much for these psychos to get physical.

P.S: I use a bike, not a car.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 08:03   #126
BHPian

Road rage: Techie held for assaulting traffic cop
The alleged incident occurred on Tuesday when police were managing traffic at Kadubeesanahalli after the downpour

The Mahadevapura police have arrested a 32-year-old software engineer for allegedly assaulting a police officer during a road rage in full public view on Tuesday night.

Based on a complaint by Sachin P. Borpade, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP – East), the police arrested Praneeth who is from Andhra Pradesh, but works in the city in a tech firm. He has been booked under Sections 353 (obstructing a public servant while discharging his duty), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty) and 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) of the IPC. Praneeth has been remanded in judicial custody.

According to the police, the incident occurred when the police were managing traffic at Kadubeesanahalli after the downpour on Tuesday. A team from the east traffic division was deployed at Kadubesanhalli where a massive traffic jam was reported around 10.30 p.m.

Praneeth, who was driving a car, allegedly attempted to drive in the wrong side of the road and tried to take a U-turn, said the police.

“Our constables stopped him twice and did not let him take the U-turn. But, Praneeth did not listen to the cops on duty … he got involved in an altercation with them. When I noticed the commotion, I approached the motorist and asked him to take the vehicle back. But, he began abusing me. When I intervened, he held my collar and tore my uniform … he also snatched and threw away my badge,” Mr. Borpade alleged.

“The Mahadevapura police was immediately contacted… after clearing the traffic around 1.30 a.m., I filed a complaint against Praneeth in the law and order station, following which he was arrested and remanded in judicial custody on Wednesday,” said the senior police officer.

The complaint was filed by Sachin P. Borpade, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP – East)
Src:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...783.ece?w=city
virgopal is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 09:19   #127
Senior - BHPian

This is just sad stuff! If educated people behave like this, why are folks blaming cabbies for all the rowdiness and bad road manners.
reignofchaos is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 09:47   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Today something very small happened that made me change my opinion of the Bangalore we live in.

Cubbon Road, 4pm, bumper to bumper traffic. In front of me was a lone riding biker, and in front of him was a Nano with 2~3ppl. Next to us, a bus.
I have seen such incidents so many times that because of the small size as compared to other vehicles bikers are always trying to squeeze through impossible narrow gaps just to get ahead of whoever is ahead. It endangers them and in turn they also stand to harm others. There have been umpteen times when someone trying to desparately nudge forward and to avoid oncoming traffic I had to logically move to the left , the poor biker hit some pothole , slushy mud or rough patch of road. I do it without any intention....common I hardly know the biker. But then the same person doubles back , curses you for doing it on purpose , questions if you own the road and so many combinations.
I fail to understand this mentality of two wheeler riders. Actually if it were to come to an accident unfortunately the most impact would be for a two wheeler riders as they are completely exposed. The car driver would still have a higher probability of escape.
IN Bangalore though its not the fetish for riding fast but pushing ones luck that seems to rule the roost in biker mentality.I rather prefer to allow such errant drivers to be as far away from me as possible , lest something happens. I do not want to be the one involved in fate teaching them a lesson.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 09:35   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
...There have been umpteen times when someone trying to desparately nudge forward and to avoid oncoming traffic I had to logically move to the left , the poor biker hit some pothole , slushy mud or rough patch of road. I do it without any intention...
On Haralur Road, a moron was trying all means to squeeze his bike through my left side, while the oncoming traffic ensured that I could not make space on either the left or the right side. Probably because of the blinding high-beams, he missed to see the electric pole on the left until he was almost level with my B-pillar. Speeds being low helped him stop in time. After a short while, he overtook me - I was prepared for an immediate stoppie, hence slowed down. And he did stop. Removed his helmet and started shouting. I merely pointed to the dash cam and smiled. With that he ensured that his elbow got full protection and rode on, with the wind on his hair, oblivious of his folly
Quote:
I fail to understand this mentality of two wheeler riders. Actually if it were to come to an accident unfortunately the most impact would be for a two wheeler riders as they are completely exposed. The car driver would still have a higher probability of escape.
IN Bangalore though its not the fetish for riding fast but pushing ones luck that seems to rule the roost in biker mentality.I rather prefer to allow such errant drivers to be as far away from me as possible , lest something happens. I do not want to be the one involved in fate teaching them a lesson.
The last line is the reason many such imbeciles are still alive
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 10:55   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This is just sad stuff! If educated people behave like this, why are folks blaming cabbies for all the rowdiness and bad road manners.
Because the educated have seen the Cabbie get away with doing exactly that and the same police who filed a complaint when his shirt was torn did not even entertain the educated person's complaint when he complained against the Cabbie.

Welcome to Bangalore, you must be new here.

PS: I know some of the educated folks are absolutely sick too. But just that when the wrong is done by an "educated" we want them to get the strictest punishment whereas a cabbie who drives on the wrong side every single day and abuses everyone around gets away with it. its time the police and the other educated stand up equally for all. People are going to be frustrated and react.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 13:39   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nano guy had been driving carefully since the past ~50m in traffic, now stopped, but this biker wanted to squeeze between him & Bus and go to the next (small) gap.

Prolly we'd all switched off cars since 5 minutes & then the Nano guy took a few seconds extra to start, meanwhile, somebody took that small gap ahead.

Somehow this annoys the biker so much, after a minute as we started moving, ~20 meters ahead, he deliberately nudges the Nanos' left fender, breaking the side indicator lamp, & zoomed ahead.

For sure it was deliberate.

I can understand a small bit of traffic frustration, but this was just weird extreme behavior & I've never seen this nasty side of Bangalore traffic character.

I mean yeah the traffic is bad, but what makes people So angry, that they look at each other as enemies, asif with some personal grudge !?
Frightful behaviour. Very very sad. Why do we hate each other so much when on the road?

Long ago, when I was a kid I had a Ladybird Book called "Man and His Car".

In that, there were a few illustrations which showed clearly how people changed the moment they got into their cars. They became aggressive, the book said.
The illustration showed this. And the book exhorted the reader to exhibit good manners at all times while driving or when on the road.

One illustration showed a man bowing and opening a door for a lady.
The next one showed the lady getting into her car and the man into his car.
The third picture showed the same man overtaking the same lady aggressively and with a hugely angry face to boot.

This book was gifted to me by my Grandad in 1974. I still remember those pictures.

And today, in real life, I am experiencing exactly this, every time I get on the road!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 13:50   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Because the educated have seen the Cabbie get away with doing exactly that and the same police who filed a complaint when his shirt was torn did not even entertain the educated person's complaint when he complained against the Cabbie.

Welcome to Bangalore, you must be new here.
If a person is educated and respects the law, he/she wouldn't do what a cabbie does and won't follow the uneducated cabbie blindly. Your argument is like since since certain section of society breaks the law, its okay for us to do the same. Would it be okay to go ahead and murder someone then if you do not like them? How is this different from anarchy then?

The thing that separates men from beasts is that we respect the society we live in and strive to live by its standard norms. Breaking traffic rules, causing inconvenience to others and then roughing up a poor cop who is trying to do his job aren't part of it.
reignofchaos is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 14:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Breaking traffic rules, causing inconvenience to others and then roughing up a poor cop who is trying to do his job aren't part of it.
There are always two sides to a story. An educated person tearing the collar of a police constable in broad daylight in the middle of the city! There must have been some serious provocation there. No educated person would do that instinctively to a police person, knowing the consequence of that act. Whereas a cab driver slapping a woman in Bangalore is very much natural, because he knows he can get away with it.

Before you go show me the case. There is one registered by a woman in HAL police station against an Auto driver, which happened about 5-6 years back. I am the only witness. The auto driver is still driving around. And the case goes on.

Here the educated person did get punished for it. And rightfully so.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 15:18   #134
BHPian

I had several traffic incidents with Bangalore Traffic cops during my sojourn there for circa 5 years- however, nothing of the worse kind as stated here(traffic signal jump/overspeeding etc).
There is one incident in particular I would like to narrate :
Once at K Narayanapura, I hit an aged old man(he was over 90 apparently) whilst reversing my car(it was an Esteem)- I didn't see him in the mirror as he was short. I only realised after people started screaming and coming out. Fortunately a senior college mate picked up the keys and talked to them in Kannada- I wasn't that fluent in the language then. Days later, when I was heading to college 2 bikers stopped me and asked me to pay money as compensation damages stating that the old man is now admitted in a hospital- my friend and I went to the hospital to monitor the situation. They asked for circa INR 5000 towards MRI and other charges. Since I was a student then, I had to approach my dad who immediately asked me to go to the local police station and also let them know I have comprehensive insurance(that's when I knew the value of insurance). The police station I went to was K G Halli and got a traffic constable with me to the incident venue- he informed me that it belonged to another police station limits, and guided me to Hennur police station. I also dropped the constable back tipping him 200 Rs(back in 2002).
When I went to Hennur and got another traffic constable, the police bloke tells me it's in the vicinity of K G Halli police limits. I responded saying back the other police man said it's yours. He immediately started cussing him in Kannada. I pleaded with him to consider this as yours to which he concurred. He then said he'd take care of this and I paid him some money. The case was finally resolved after he called the other party who agreed to adopt the insurance route.
Bottom line is the ineptitude of some police personnel is the reason for most distressing situations.
jacobvarughese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 17:35   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Frightful behaviour. Very very sad. Why do we hate each other so much when on the road?

Long ago, when I was a kid I had a Ladybird Book called "Man and His Car".

In that, there were a few illustrations which showed clearly how people changed the moment they got into their cars. They became aggressive, the book said.
The illustration showed this. And the book exhorted the reader to exhibit good manners at all times while driving or when on the road.

One illustration showed a man bowing and opening a door for a lady.
The next one showed the lady getting into her car and the man into his car.
The third picture showed the same man overtaking the same lady aggressively and with a hugely angry face to boot.

This book was gifted to me by my Grandad in 1974. I still remember those pictures.

And today, in real life, I am experiencing exactly this, every time I get on the road!
Im not trolling this:
Merely adding the picture from the book which I mentioned - Man and His Car. It was on the Internet!
Attached Thumbnails
Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !-screenshot-20160318-17.33.14.png  

shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote