Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Street Experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 13:07   #31
kkg
BHPian

Default Re: I had a beggar under my car. Is it a new scam??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Could you please elaborate on the location where this happened? Your experience would serve as a warning to other road users, for them to avoid a similar situation in future.

The exact location was Ashiana chowk redlight in Pitampura. It is the next redlight when you take left from Madhuban chowk coming from Mukraba chowk side. This is my usual route when I go to my inlaws.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I do think that all this was planned and not my fault. I was alone in the car and didn't notice him till he was underneath the car. High time to be more vigil and active while on the wheel.
kkg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 20th February 2012, 13:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

There is no way you can run over a person and remain inside the car without knowing it.

Obviously, the boy should have been well trained on how to get under a car. This clearly looks a planned group operation headed by probably a larger mafia in hiding.

In the first place you shouldn't have got out of the car at all.

What if there were bigger bandits hiding out somewhere and waiting for you to get out of the car so that they can get away with the valuables in the car?

What if you had been attacked by a group of such people?

What if the other occupants in the car were attacked and robbed away?

Once you realize that you are not at fault, I don't see a reason why you should stop at such a place/ situation. Ofcourse this would lead into some legal complications/ minor injuries to the bandits while trying to flee. But at the end of the day its the safety of your life that matters the most.

The best thing in such a situation would be to drive out of such a place in the shortest possible time.

However, must admit that whatever said above is much easier to preach than practice. In real time 9 out of 10 people would have reacted exactly the way you did.

Gosh!! This is so scary. Glad that you came out of it safe!!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 20th February 2012 at 13:14.
Warwithwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 13:43   #33
BHPian

That would have scared the living daylights out of me. How the hell did he crawl under a NANO?!!

I have seen a couple of similar incidents happen in HYD ... but not someone coming completely under the car.
sivavikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 14:20   #34
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
In the first place you shouldn't have got out of the car at all.

The best thing in such a situation would be to drive out of such a place in the shortest possible time.

Gosh!! This is so scary. Glad that you came out of it safe!!
My Nano was not moving with him under the car. So, there was no question of being inside the car/running.

I was worried that some part of his body might be under one of the wheel or may get under the wheel if I move. SO I had to get out and help other people getting the beggar out.
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 16:16   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't think it's a scam; remember, it was the WagonR driver who alerted you. If this was a planned operation, you would have the dope head's friends (and not one, but atleast 5) surround your car.

Second, the WagonR guy also said that he swerved to avoid the boy who was already lying on the road elsewhere.

My best guess would be that this boy was mentally challenged and / or heavily drugged, and didn't really know what he was doing.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 17:15   #36
BHPian

Poonam Pandey was recently robbed in Mumbai in a similar kind of scam. details are in this link :

How Poonam Pandey was robbed
ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 17:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr
Poonam Pandey was recently robbed in Mumbai in a similar kind of scam. details are in this link :

How Poonam Pandey was robbed
This is in no way related to the case involved here.
Here, we ACTUALLY have a person under the car and it not just a bogus call or something.
Neither was he robbed if anything.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 20th February 2012 at 17:23.
vinit.merchant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 17:49   #38
BHPian

I agree with GTO, this does not sound like a scam.
Firstly getting dragged under a car is not something a sane scamster would do.
Second, there should have been a crowd to bully the driver.

The boy might have been attempting suicide or he was mentally unstable or drugged/drunk or he had a dare with his friend.

In any case it is a harrowing experience.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 23:16   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hard to tell if its real or a scam from what you've posted... To be honest i'm not sure yet, though if i had to pick with the given info, i'd say scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
THe light turned green, I moved but my Nano would not pull ahead. I could feel something holding it back, thought it was the handbrake but it wasn't moving, just crawling.
How far did the car move?

Did it feel like it was dragging something, or did it feel like you were trying to drive over a brick?

If its a scam, its very likely that the boys chocked the wheel somehow to prevent the car from moving forward. A simple chock can hold a truck on an incline. Stopping a Nano is a fairly safe bet for a Rs 500 ROI.

How was the boy oriented under the car? Would it have been possible for you to drive over him in that orientation without any part of his body going under a wheel? (Because believe me you'd notice that).

The Wagon R guy might have just been trying to show his righteousness by saying he saw and avoided the boy. If he in fact saw the boy lying where your car was parked at the signal, wouldn't he have said something to you in those 20 seconds you were stopped there right next to him at the light? (Or do you think its possible you missed that?)

Also, if the boy's friend was around, why would he let him sleep on the road!?

More info please...

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2012 at 23:18.
Rehaan is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 00:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures, you should have given that urchin a bit of your mind and ask him to pick on a standing locomotive instead, for his stunt.
Oh boy! sir, this idea is similar to the famous comedy actos's stunt and robbing a jewellery shop owner by making a boy to fall before his bike. people only get inspired by bad things in the movie. As you said, and as the comedian says, if he wants more money, he should try a rajdhani or duranto express.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 01:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Now I want to know:
~~~~~~~
2. Can there be some future complications? I mean tomorrow or some other day, can police charge me for hit and run case if someone gave them my vehicle no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Few months later cops were at my parents doorstep 400kms away from where the accident had happened! To seize the car in a hit and run case! The guy had registered a complaint next day evening of the accident! Long story short few months and couple of court rounds later and a fat compensation saw the things settle.

All this for my fault of not informing police of the accident before him.
Complications are always possible. Now what to do? An FIR may be enough of a complication in itself. The idea is to get the incident on record, without complicating things.

Possible Solution: Get in noted in what is called a "Daily Dairy" at the police station and take the DD Number (daily dairy number - a reference no of that note). It puts things on record, so you are better placed in case of any complications. It would also be easier, as the police often avoid an FIR (increases crime rate, needs further investigation reports etc). A DD entry is simpler, both for them and you. Also try to do with with someone you know from the police. Anyone; even if it is a constable (don't underestimate the comradeship in them).

Do we have any members on T-bhp from the police, who could elaborate on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
If it were a Fortuner, he would have been history by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If its a scam, its very likely that the boys chocked the wheel somehow to prevent the car from moving forward. A simple chock can hold a truck on an incline. Stopping a Nano is a fairly safe bet for a Rs 500 ROI.
Wonderful analysis Rehaan. Just what I was thinking when I read this thread on the phone.

kkg, a lone driver on a Nano, could have been a well chosen target.
Why?
- Low Powered engine
(may even have checked if the 15-16 year old guy could stop it by himself, at some earlier time)
- Enough GC
- Likelyhood of someone in a Nano taking them to on, is a bit lesser, as compared to someone in a Safari/Fortuner etc (just my perception, views on this may vary)
- Lone driver

All that said, GTO's theory of a mentally challenged person can't be ignored either.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 03:39   #42
BHPian

Gosh! That must have been a terrible experience kkg!
My 2 cents....I dont think it was a scam. If it was one the boy would have rolled under your Nano from the right side i.e. from the divider side and not from the left side. To get under your car from the left side he must have been lying somewhere towards the center of the road. That he was lying in the center of the road is borne out by what the wagon r driver said to you about having to take evasive action to avoid the boy. That is too much of a risk for any scamster to take.
Also, as GTO and others have mentioned the absence of a backup gang to terrorise you and get you to part with your money strengthens my belief that this was not a scam.
God spare all of us from experiencing such terrible events duting our daily driving.
regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 12:56   #43
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Also, if the boy's friend was around, why would he let him sleep on the road!?

More info please...

cya
R

My Nano moved only 2-3 feet I guess. I am sure he did not have any kind of stopper with him that could have been placed under the wheel when he came out of the car.

I do feel he was under heavy drug/alcohol influence. He must be pretending that he could only crawl as he had some kind of plaster on his legs and asking money from the motorists. But may be due some unknown reason he crawled under my car. But yes, he walked when he came out, so I'm sure his plaster/bandages were fake. However, he would have had a real one now.

AS of now, on suggestion of some of my elder family members I have decided not to go police. But,I will go to the same place tonight and would try to locate him (just to make sure he is alright).
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:54   #44
BHPian

'Just if you're ever in trouble, don't be brave. You just run, OK?' from 'Forrest gump'.

I think this should apply to situation like these. Once you stop and start listening to these thugs, there is no escape. If you've driven over someone's foot, you will surely know it, so beware of anyone asking you to stop, just run, i mean drive off!
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote