Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th March 2012, 10:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My poor hellhound (Honda Civic) is hurt :(

As everyone said, most of it is rubbing job, goto a painter, ask him to fill up all the deep scratches with matching paint using a brush. let it dry for 48hrs and then go back to him for a rubbing and polishing job. Should work.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 10:58   #17
BHPian

The running board is dented and will need tinkering. Day light pics would disclose the actual severity of the scratches. At some places, i can make out that the metal is exposed. If this has happened you need to get it repainted.

I suggest to visit a reputed denter/painter and get a quote to restore it in original condition without any compromises. Also get a quote from the Honda. Evaluate every factor and then decide.

1. Going to a garage (Not using the insurance - If you are sure that they will do a good job)
2. Going to Honda (Using the insurance - if the quote is too high)
3. Going to Honda (Not using the insurance - If the quote is moderate)
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 11:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

IMO looking at the photos, I would say #2 would be required. I would go with #2, especially since it is a new car.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 11:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post

The poor thing is not even 6 months old and already injured :(

Can someone please guide me further on this?
I can understand your feelings, but I think there's nothing to worry. Choose a very reliable place (since the equipment is very new) - I'd always prefer HASS.

Take a deep look at the tyre too.

Otherwise, it is a very very simple job for an HASS.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:36   #20
BHPian

There are dents specially on the running board (the panel below the doors). Also I see atleast 4 panels which are damaged, 2 doors, fender and the running board.

A local job will most probably result in rattles,paint miss match etc. You took zero depreciation insurance for such instances, where you don't want to go to a local garage for any job. Suppose you don't claim and spend out of pocket to save no claim bonus and God forbid you have another accident? I did that once for my Innova and since then, claim anything above Rs. 2000.

HASS is your best bet and dont expect your car to be returned in less then 14 days. HASS took 3 weeks just to change my current gen accord windscreen (Damaged due to coconut tree) and 3 weeks to repair the rear portion when the accord was rear ended. All this happened within 6 months of initial ownership and no fault of mine. Go Claim insurance!!
tazmaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 15:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda remove the panel before panel beating and painting. Their paint matching is perfect - metallic paint requires that the undercoat also matches.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 20:14   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I thought about it and decided its better to claim from Honda Assure and bring the hound back to its glory.

Since the damage almost stretched through the length of the car, I did not see a point in taking it to a local repair shop.

So I went to Honda today. Will get the quote for the car tomorrow but the wait time is at least a week if not more. Turns out I had scraped the front bumper from the left side too.

It will be a minimum of 1K for the claim.

They (Insurance Surveyor) said they will not cover the damage done to the back plate of the right side mirror or the mud guard :(
Can I do anything about it?

Here are the daylight pics,
Attached Thumbnails
My poor hellhound (Honda Civic) is hurt :(-img_0091.jpg  

My poor hellhound (Honda Civic) is hurt :(-img_0092.jpg  

My poor hellhound (Honda Civic) is hurt :(-img_0093.jpg  

My poor hellhound (Honda Civic) is hurt :(-img_0094.jpg  

My poor hellhound (Honda Civic) is hurt :(-img_0095.jpg  

My poor hellhound (Honda Civic) is hurt :(-img_0096.jpg  

My poor hellhound (Honda Civic) is hurt :(-img_0097.jpg  

mjumrani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 04:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I thought about it and decided its better to claim from Honda Assure and bring the hound back to its glory.

Since the damage almost stretched through the length of the car, I did not see a point in taking it to a local repair shop.

They (Insurance Surveyor) said they will not cover the damage done to the back plate of the right side mirror or the mud guard :(
Can I do anything about it?
Good call there in going to Honda to get it sorted, the damage does look worse than in the original night pics. The driver door and skirting looks pretty mashed up also, wouldn't have trusted any local painter with it. What were the insurance guys reasons for not accepting a claim for damage done to the back plate of the right side mirror or the mud guard?

Also the tyre sidewall looks grazed, please get it checked that it hasnt been cut or weakened - you may want to change it for your peace of mind - you dont want another incident. The alloys too are damaged slightly, maybe on that a local guy could do some 'denting painting'??

Do let us know how the repair work goes on!
s4ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
What were the insurance guys reasons for not accepting a claim for damage done to the back plate of the right side mirror or the mud guard?

Also the tyre sidewall looks grazed, please get it checked that it hasnt been cut or weakened - you may want to change it for your peace of mind - you dont want another incident. The alloys too are damaged slightly, maybe on that a local guy could do some 'denting painting'??

Do let us know how the repair work goes on!
The insurance guy said that he does not think the damage was a part of the accident.
I did get it sorted out though, went to the GM and told her to figure it out else I would be coming to the showroom which would not be good for them.

I will get the sidewall checked by my tires guy when the car is back, which I have no clue about.

The alloy seem to just have paint on it. But when I go to pick up the car I will see what the scene is. I have told my service advisor to check for issues though.
Old 24th March 2012, 17:24   #25
BHPian

Sorry for the late update guys,

The car came back on last Sunday. Total cost Rs 1000. As good as new. Experience

But my luck is so awesome that someone stole the passenger side OVRM, so back it goes on Monday to get a new one.
(I got the broken mirror back from the Police though)
Old 7th May 2012, 10:59   #26
BHPian

Question Re: My poor hellhound (Honda Civic) is hurt :(

Quote:
Sorry for the late update guys,

The car came back on last Sunday. Total cost Rs 1000. As good as new. Experience
Do you mean the total cost is 1000 or is 1000 the amount you paid after claiming insurance?
I saw that there was a significant dent on your running board. Was it also repaired?
the_joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 15:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
Do you mean the total cost is 1000 or is 1000 the amount you paid after claiming insurance?
I saw that there was a significant dent on your running board. Was it also repaired?
1000 is the amount I paid for claiming insurance. Rest was covered by the insurance company.
mjumrani is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote