Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th December 2009, 13:56   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
My dear friend, what you did was a normal & completely expected reaction. Also the Indian Penal Code (I am unable to recall the section no.) provides protection to a victim in case he happens to kill the other person unintentionally & in self defense. However (unfortunately) you might need to prove that your life was threatened & that you took such a drastic step to protect your life (read in self defense). But the final decision on such matters rests with the courts.
In your case if you even hit the person you could have defended your actions by stating that whatever happened was in self defense.
Thanks for the explanation, my friend. this incident happened a long time ago, but bothered me for quite a while.
As for self defense, the only way i could had proved it, was with the help of witnesses (who were in plenty), but i doubt, if anyone would had actually come forward to testify.

Anyway, i did take away some good learnings from it. and i am a way more calmer and patient person on the road now.

Last edited by Sli_ce : 16th December 2009 at 13:59.
Sli_ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 14:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off topic but once i faced issue with one Scorpio driver who came in front of me at Sony world signal as i was just maintaining a safe distance from the car ahead of me, nothing much happen but felt like he tried to push me and made space for his ego and car, and saddest part is that Scorpio was having team-bhp sticker on it. Dude if you reading this thread just introspect yourself whether you really deserve calling your self a team bhpian?
Can we start new thread of putting these kind of guys car numbers over here?
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 14:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Really depends upon how you take an incident. When I was new to Bangalore, on the way to the old airport, at a signal, an auto rested its back on my front bumper just for the kicks. He was looking in the RVM and had a nasty smile. There were other autos too there and I knew if I stepped out they would gang up against me. So I waited patiently for the signal to turn green, drove upto him and gave him serious emotional pain which was more than physical.

This incident is purely inspired by the Cinemas. Sarfarosh style dragging "Kyun re Thakur bulya toh ata nahin"
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 15:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
I have stopped trying to bother with such people. They are menace and endanger the lives of pedestrians, other drivers and society at large.
+1 to that. I too have mellowed a LOT regarding reacting to jokers on the road, who can only "operate" a automobile, but have no idea how to "drive".

Being in Pune does not help
Exhaust_Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 15:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Noone knows the other side of the story here. Everyone has taken a stand that the Honda City person is to be blamed and are bashing him up. The other side of the story may go like this -

"A big guy came charging at me and shouting abusive words and caught my hand/shirt/collar. In self defense I drove the car to escape and lead to this mishap which I didn't intend doing in the first place."

If the Honda City guy would have been bashed up and that was the news then the view would on this forum would have been totally different.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 16:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Noone knows the other side of the story here. Everyone has taken a stand that the Honda City person is to be blamed and are bashing him up. The other side of the story may go like this -

"A big guy came charging at me and shouting abusive words and caught my hand/shirt/collar. In self defense I drove the car to escape and lead to this mishap which I didn't intend doing in the first place."

If the Honda City guy would have been bashed up and that was the news then the view would on this forum would have been totally different.
What you've written is correct but one person is dead. The Honda City guy still lives.
If he is not at fault, after reading this in the papers/TV, he should have surrendered himself to the local police station and have had his say there.
What you've written in quotes will be the arguments made by his lawyer in court if he doesn't plead guilty.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 16:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Dieselfan, I think we are jumping to conclusions without knowing the details of this unfortunate incident!

Road rage incidents are on the rise, let us do our part in avoiding the same by:
  1. Adhering to Traffic rules.
  2. If we break any rule & cause any inconvenience to fellow motorists, let us apologise for that.
  3. If other motorists break a rule & cause any inconvenience to us, if he apologises, let us forgive him & move on. If not, curse him in your mind & move on.
  4. If a accident takes place due to our mistake, let us make good any damages to the other party, if any.
  5. If a accident takes place due to the other party's mistake, and if he is ready to make good any damages to us, well & good. If he doesn't agree to pay-up for the damages, if you have time & patience, file a police case. Else claim insurance, bear the incidentals & move on....

Last edited by finneyp : 16th December 2009 at 16:25.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 16:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
The other side of the story may go like this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I agree with Dieselfan, I think we are jumping to conclusions without knowing the details of this unfortunate incident!
Guys, lets not forget the following sequence of events (based on the newspaper report) -
  • Honda City grazes Santro while overtaking it
  • Santro tries to move on thereafter
  • Honda City blocks its path (Santro behind the City at this point)
  • Guy in Honda City grabs victim's collar & drives off, dragging him
  • Lets go of his collar a little distance down the road, dropping him on tarmac (Honda City still moving at fair speed)
Not sure how the "big guy came charging at me" bit fits in. Of course, the entire reconstruction of events is based on the newspaper report. Which is all that we have at the moment.

End of the day, someone grabbed someone's collar & drove off, dragging the guy to his death. If innocent & the whole thing was an act of self defense, +1 to what Pervez has said about surrendering at the nearest Police Station.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by suman : 16th December 2009 at 16:34.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 16:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

I always take media reports with a pinch of salt given the penchant for sensationalism.

Slight OT, but have a look at Newswatch | news for the news people for reviews and reports on the Indian media.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 16:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Never give room for road rage. Did we not read in the papers of someone getting shot due to this near Delhi? Remain cool and try to calm down the other person as well. If there is some damage to the car/bike, just consider the next logical step. What has happened has happened, it can't be wished away. Don't take it upon yourself to din sense in to the head of an imbecile. The roads are full of them.

If you must absolutely get it out of your system, first curse the other fellow all you want from inside your closed car, but only with a smile on your face, as if you are uttering pleasantries! Then get out of the car and deal with the situation.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 20:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

An act of self defence is when the car owner drives away. Why catch hold of someone's collar while doing it?
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 20:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Instead of blaming hospitals, you should look at the reason they refuse - the harassment they have to undergo at the hands of cops later. Question the policing system first, the hospitals later. After all, they are there for business, they do not lose by giving someone first aid, so the problem is much larger than that.

I once had a mobike accident where I could have lost my life - this happened on a busy highway near Bangalore. In the 2 hours I lay by the side of the road, not a single "citizen" cared to help - some stopped, gawked and moved on despite entreaties for help. So, why blame hospitals, look inward at yourselves - what would you have done?
I am sorry but I disagree with you here wholeheartedly. No amount of harassment can equal a human life. Besides, apart from being a business they have a legal obligation to treat a victim in need... whatever it is and may be, this just isnt done.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 20:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am sorry but I disagree with you here wholeheartedly. No amount of harassment can equal a human life. Besides, apart from being a business they have a legal obligation to treat a victim in need... whatever it is and may be, this just isnt done.
You have refrained from commenting on the callousness of the Indian public to an accident on the road? Do you expect hospitals to be "noble" and different from the rest of the populace? Do only hospitals have some sort of special obligation to human life?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 22:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You have refrained from commenting on the callousness of the Indian public to an accident on the road? Do you expect hospitals to be "noble" and different from the rest of the populace? Do only hospitals have some sort of special obligation to human life?
Callousness of the Indian public is NOT GOOD, at the same time it is NOT any excuse for the Hospitals to behave in the way they "mostly" do.

No offense meant hvkumar, but the post seemed to focus more on indian public rather than the hospitals, whose JOB is to treat the injured and they are equipped with the law and competent people to take care of the paperwork that follows.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 16th December 2009 at 22:24. Reason: Spellings!! (as always :( )
Exhaust_Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 23:27   #45
BHPian

This was indeed shocking news. A life was lost needlessly. What could have been a trivial thing and moved on from, was needlessly escalated.

In all types of public transport and on the road in Mumbai I have noticed people loosing their cool at the slightest things. Like they are spoiling for a fight. I see a lot of this impatience everyday on my drive to/fro work.

Whatever the provocation may be, cars, bikes etc can be repaired or new ones bought. You cannot do that with Human life.

Please do not loose your cool on the road, stay in your car at all times, follow traffic rules, set an example of good road behaviour.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote