Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th December 2009, 23:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Do's and Don'ts of Road Rage

I found this on the Internet.

Do's
Do make an apology if you have done a mistake.
Do try to be seated in the car in case of a conflict.
Do tune in to your favorite music to feel relax while driving.
Do try to use public transports.
Do drive within the posted limits.
Do look for less congested routes.
Do make an attempt to get out of the way in case of a conflict.
Do make it a point to report aggressive driving to the concerned officials.
Do put as much distance between you and others as possible.
Do stay behind a suspected drunk driver.

Don'ts
Don't allow yourself to become distracted by talking on your cellular phone, eating, drinking or putting on makeup.
Don't make and respond to any angry gesture or action.
Don't rush if you are getting late.
Don't use abusive language while driving.
Don't cut in front of any vehicle.
Don't challenge by speeding.
Don't make an eye contact.
Don't tailgate.
Don't make matters worse by triggering confrontations.
Don't try to stop the vehicle between roads.
Don't attempt to act to the capacity of the police.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 23:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Guys, lets not forget the following sequence of events (based on the newspaper report) -
  • Honda City grazes Santro while overtaking it
  • Santro tries to move on thereafter
  • Honda City blocks its path (Santro behind the City at this point)
  • Guy in Honda City grabs victim's collar & drives off, dragging him
  • Lets go of his collar a little distance down the road, dropping him on tarmac (Honda City still moving at fair speed)
Not sure how the "big guy came charging at me" bit fits in. Of course, the entire reconstruction of events is based on the newspaper report. Which is all that we have at the moment.

End of the day, someone grabbed someone's collar & drove off, dragging the guy to his death. If innocent & the whole thing was an act of self defense, +1 to what Pervez has said about surrendering at the nearest Police Station.

Just my opinion.
You forgot to add that it's how it was narrated by the guy who had to give statement to the police, and how he saw it at night sitting in his car.

If a person had audacity to get out of his car and confront another person sitting in another car, I doubt if he could have been a meek fella like me.

and if I was confronted in a deserted area after an accident, I would have sped off too, regardless of who was holding who's collar. Death is unfortunate, but on the road, I won't take any chance on my own life.

Since most of us seems to side with the santro, i am just putting the other contrasting possibilities here.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 08:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
If a person had audacity to get out of his car and confront another person sitting in another car, I doubt if he could have been a meek fella like me.
So you mean to say that the Santro guys should have kept quiet after someone brushed the car and caused damage.

Saw the whole episode on HT yesterday night. The victim's brother narrated the entire ordeal.
According to him, the Honda City guy was pissed after the Santro overtook them.

The city guy overtook him from the wrong direction and brushed the Santro and stopped in front of them. When the late victim wanted came to confront the city guy about this behavior, a verbal conversation raged and the victim was held by his collar and dragged 1/2 a kilometer. He let go/ had to let go on the flyover.

He victim's brother rushed him in the same Santro to 'Diamond hospital' first where he was denied entry to save a life. The other hospital (whose name I forgot, if someone can rememeber let us know) also cited the same accident reason and did not admit him.
He finally drove to Cooper hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
So much so for hospitals saving lives. Its a thriving business now who cannot face any kind of recession ever. Its everyone for himself. Period.

If the suspect is innocent then he should come out of his version soon before the police else he will be charged for direct murder/homicide.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 17th December 2009 at 08:47.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
and if I was confronted in a deserted area after an accident, I would have sped off too,
And that's understandable. What about the highlighted part in the post below -
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
An act of self defence is when the car owner drives away. Why catch hold of someone's collar while doing it?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

What baffles me is the number : 1/2 a kilometer.
A few meters is digestable. But 1/2 a kilometer means, intent of something brutal was definitely there.
I mean the driver must have serious mental disorder or political clout under his belt
to do such a thing. I won't be surprised if he never gets caught.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
1) Instead of blaming hospitals, you should look at the reason they refuse - the harassment they have to undergo at the hands of cops later. Question the policing system first, the hospitals later. After all, they are there for business, they do not lose by giving someone first aid, so the problem is much larger than that.

2) I once had a mobike accident where I could have lost my life - this happened on a busy highway near Bangalore. In the 2 hours I lay by the side of the road, not a single "citizen" cared to help - some stopped, gawked and moved on despite entreaties for help. So, why blame hospitals, look inward at yourselves - what would you have done?
1) Exactly. These cases get more complex than necessary. Forget directives of Supreme Court, reality is much different than fine print Supreme Court comes up with.

2) Shows the mentality. Again people prefer not to help just to avoid Police hassle. Not all are good, though there are incidneces where Police have actually thanked and appreciated those who helped accident injured.

Quote:
3) However brutal the Honda's deed may appear to be, we do not know what exactly transpired - as Sli_ce has mentioned, such episodes happen all the time, and maybe something like what happened to Sli_ce may have occurred.
3) Well said. We were not present there and this is not a car coming in wrong side. We simply dont know whether the Santro guy spoke roughly rudely or used inappropriate lanugage. Words can provoke more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
4) So you mean to say that the Santro guys should have kept quiet after someone brushed the car and caused damage.

5) He victim's brother rushed him in the same Santro to 'Diamond hospital' first where he was denied entry to save a life. The other hospital (whose name I forgot, if someone can rememeber let us know) also cited the same accident reason and did not admit him.
He finally drove to Cooper hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
So much so for hospitals saving lives. Its a thriving business now who cannot face any kind of recession ever. Its everyone for himself. Period.

6) If the suspect is innocent then he should come out of his version soon before the police else he will be charged for direct murder/homicide.
4) I have been rear ended by SUVs, bikes and small cars. SUV hits are bad and hard.
What shall I do ? There has been an instance where after rear ending Baleno ( at very low speed ) with 100cc bike, the biker comes in for argument. I do ride bike so am aware of problems, but I am yet to rear end a car. I decided initially not even to stop as I would let off the entire incidence. But the bikes comes in to prove he is right and started abusing me.

In case of SUV, I have kept quiet. I dont have energy to fight with the people who are best described " not required on earth ".

I am blaming them controlling temper is critical.

5) Read on Prince Perverz about a real life incidence where not even a police case fear was there.

An " atta chakki " owner was in his shop, as usual working in the shop. He got heart attack. The neighouring shop owners took the guy to hospital. The hospital is 200 meters away from his shop. Yes, you can view the hospital building as soon as you step out of his shop.

Its so near that the compound wall of hospital is 100 mtrs. from this shop. The distance I am talking about is the entrance of hospital. Anyways, other people took that guy to hospital hoping that they could help. The hospital has 4 Ambulance that are well equipped.

The doctor at that hospital simply refused to help. He told people that he cannot help. Next, people asked for ambulance so that the patient can reach other hospitals fast. But the doctor refused to give even ambulance.

Note that at that particular point of time, that doctor was the most senior person in the hospital ( i.e. no body with superior authority was there ).

This all has happened in the township where I have lived earlier. The ambulances were used by many doctors for their own benefit. They would use the Ambulance for going to some place so that they dont have to spend on fuel.

Somehow others managed for one car and were taking the patient to other hospital ( 7-8 kms away ). But the patient died while they were on their way to hospital.

The atta chakki owner was a very good humans. We knew this man since I was child and he was really good in nature. Very very good. I think I can say that its difficult to find so good people now.

The doctor who refused to help was my sister's childhood friend's father. She was in touch with my sister for long. We dont have any family relations with them now.

Again, remember, this all happened on one township owned by a big company. The shops were there for more than 20 years and the atta chakki owner was working there for more than 20 years.
The doctor was serving the company in that hospital for more than 20 years.

So now tell me, what more can we say about hospitals ?

6) Hope he gets caught if he is at fault. If not, one day for sure God will teach him a lesson where he will meet his match.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th December 2009 at 11:39.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 11:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Prince_pervez, please don't go by the one-sided version narrated by the victim's brother!
After we hear both the sides and a proper investigation done, we can arrive at the conclusions!
IMO there was provocation from both the sides.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 11:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Going by the victim's brother's narration will make it one sided. Which is wrong, I understand. I am narrating what the newspapers and television news have to say about the incident. About the suspect coming out with his version seems like a good wait from here.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 17th December 2009 at 11:47.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am narrating what the newspapers and television news has to say about the incident.
Newspapers & TV channels are just showing the victim's brother's version of incident.
Quote:
About the suspect coming out with his version seems like a good wait from here.
Hondy guys will either surrender or nabbed by the Police.
It is a serious incident where a life was lost!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 12:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Regarding being dragged for 1/2 a kilometer is not anyone's version but distance where the spat happened and where the body was let off as shown, which could very well cause a fatality. Being dragged for a few meters can cause bruises and cuts.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:09   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Instead of blaming hospitals, you should look at the reason they refuse - the harassment they have to undergo at the hands of cops later. Question the policing system first, the hospitals later. After all, they are there for business, they do not lose by giving someone first aid, so the problem is much larger than that.

I once had a mobike accident where I could have lost my life - this happened on a busy highway near Bangalore. In the 2 hours I lay by the side of the road, not a single "citizen" cared to help - some stopped, gawked and moved on despite entreaties for help. So, why blame hospitals, look inward at yourselves - what would you have done?
Business and hastle over life?? i wouldnt support that!!
wildchild4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 12:29   #57
Team-BHP Support

Only when the law catches up with the other party will we know what exactly happened. Or at least can hope to hear the other side of it all irrespective of what is true and false.

While the victim's brother says that the Honda City guys (there were a couple of youths in that car) caught hold of the victim's collar and drove off there could be another side to this story. The victim could have grabbed the passenger in the City and could have tried to pull him out of the car. At that point the City guy would have started driving and the victim got dragged. Again, I am not saying anything about the truth or otherwise of any of the scenarios but just pointing out the possibilities.

The alternate scenario is something that I have experienced albeit in a train. The victim (a thief, chor) had his hand stuck in the windows of a moving train and was on the verge of getting dragged had people inside not taken mercy on him and raised the window shutter that one of the sharp-on-the- reflex passengers had downed on the thief's hand.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 19:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you mean to say that the Santro guys should have kept quiet after someone brushed the car and caused damage.
YES!

Police and insurance are there exactly to take care of the rest.

And that's how we avoid road rage.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 22:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

WHAT !?? Maybe if they were in the US they would have done just that.
Someone brushes you and endangers your life and probably your families' w/o your fault, and you stay put w/o asking him or educating him. Super. Doesn't get better than this.
About the police and insurance, the lesser said the better. Search for threads on how members have been not politely talked to even forget compensation. Police, Lolz.
Old 17th December 2009, 22:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

the guy in the black honda city must be definitely some politician's neighbour's friend's uncle's son. he has to be taught a lesson, something that he will never forget in his life. dont make life easy for him by giving him just life sentence.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th December 2009 at 22:46.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote