Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th March 2012, 22:43   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Road Rage? Go to JAIL! Mumbai Police sets an example

IT giants/MNCs and other major players' obsession with metros has to end. They traditionally never look beyond cities of Delhi / Mumbai / Bangalore. For them India does not exist beyond these three cities. This obsession has resulted in hellish traffic conditions in these cities. I live in small town of Vizag where anywhere to anywhere takes 20 min max even in peak evening traffic. But I go crazy tarvelling around these three cities when I visit there. The traffic chaos together with long distances compound the problem. I do not see what is the fun of all these biggies flocking to metros and adding to the woes. Can't they move to tier II/III cities? Even riding as passenger in these metros, and that too once in a while, irritates me then I can pretty well imagine how the daily road users there feel. Road-rage is just the result of too many people and vehicles sharing the ever-shrinking space. And it will only get worse. About time Govt. stepped in, put a complete stop to ridiculous growth of metros and spread some of the investments to other smaller cities. Otherwise, such road-rage incidents will only rise in frequency and ferocity.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 22:44   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

3. Give way whenever possible. The guy behind might be in a genuine hurry (eg. reaching his father's wedding ).
7. Using the bike not the car when there is a hurry. Since I have fun on the bike even in traffic, and generally don't get caught up in traffic at all, the bike ride is infinitely more relaxing. Also, since my bike itself is reasonably fast, its more than a handful whenever I need my dose of adrenaline in or out of city limits.
Though all the points listed are so true, the ones that I liked are the above 2 - since I religiously follow these...
MadhuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 22:44   #93
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful, wonderful initiative.

But, in most instances of road rage - the one indulging in it injures the victim and more often than not, flees.

So how does the victim prove that the culprit was indeed the culprit?

I really hope this is strictly enforced in NCR and is enforced in every part of India before the whole road-rage culture develops.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 22:52   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar
IT giants/MNCs and other major players' obsession with metros has to end. About time Govt. stepped in, put a complete stop to ridiculous growth of metros and spread some of the investments to other smaller cities. .
As recent as last month, BJP MLA's suggested that all new large developments, domestic and commercial, should be 25km from the heart of Bangalore. If they have their way, we'll see a Hosa(Navi) Bangalore come up very soon. Around the BIA might be a good idea.

Last edited by vinu_h : 13th March 2012 at 22:57.
vinu_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 00:39   #95
BHPian

Default Re: Road rage claims life at Mumbai airport

Marlon
Hi
Read about this incident.Unfortunately this is not going to be the last as more and more people take law into their hands.For such a petty thing to react so badly-sad.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 00:57   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Nice initiative, I must say.

But it makes me wonder what all qualifies as road rage. Anyone?
They (Swift driver and passenger) are not in jail because of road rage charges. That is a simple bailable affair that does not involve courts.

They are in jail because of "Attempt to murder" charges.Those morons rammed the car repeatedly at high speed and deserved to be jailed.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 03:54   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

While this is a good move, I wonder how effective it will be. Infact, it might work against some.

In such cases arrests are made on eye witness accounts and my experience has been that whoever is in the "bigger/expensive" car is always held as the one in the wrong. Most often the crowd hasn't even seen the entire episode and it takes a few rotten baists to turn the entire mob against you. In come the police, ask a few bystanders and most often the innocent will be taken in depend on his wheels. Cops also see this as a way to extract more money.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 03:56   #98
BHPian

If they do this in NCR, they might have to arrest half of the population. It's the money and power that has corrupted most of them here in NCR.

And if you see the papers, you might agree with me if I say:

"NCR - A Safe Haven for Rapists"

Well, kudos to Mumbai police for doing this and I hope it starts at some point in time here in NCR as well.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 07:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Road Rage? Go to JAIL! Mumbai Police sets an example

Thats a brave initiative by the Mumbai police. Its wait n watch whether the steam dies off more faster than expected. More so it will be more of an example if any high profile politician/beurocrat gets punshed the similar way of the businessman. Only then it can be said that the law is equal for all.

Shouldn't then the drunk driving cae which results in fatalities also be charged under the "Attempt to Murder" charge?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 09:14   #100
BHPian

If anyone is constantly honking behind me to give way, I let him pass and then start honking behind him (obviously making sure its not a Silence Zone) unless they are over speeding. Give them a taste of their own medicine and they get irritated and give way.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 09:22   #101
Senior - BHPian

A similar incident involving two limited stop buses operating in the Kottayam - Ernakulam route happened near Ettumanoor. One of the buses reversed and rammed repeatedly on the front side of the other bus after overtaking it. It is told that the conductor of the killer bus asked passengers in the rear seats to move towards the front of the bus.
Though it generated a hue all died down in a couple of days time.
Kudos to Mumbai Police for an exemplary action.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 09:28   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I let him pass and then start honking behind him ... they get irritated and give way.
Next thing you know, the vehicle ahead of you stops in the middle of the road. You stop too. And a fight breaks out.

I would classify your behavior of honking also as road rage. Let the idiot behind you go ahead. Let him pass. Maybe he really is in a hurry.
carbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 09:34   #103
BHPian

Very realistic and true scenario on Kerala roads. I have been in similar situations countless times. The intercity bus drivers with their menacing horns leave you with no other option. The bus drivers are intimidating to say the least and pushing the smaller vehicles of their track.

I was wondering if there is any remedy for their brash and provocative driving?
jnpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 09:43   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
PS : The above scenario might sound weird. But I assure that this happens everyday in a Kerala
Klub Klass I do this every now and then! Buses and unladen sand/quarry lorries who drive at breakneck speeds and are always flashing their lights. Though my intention is to slow them down only. Am I on road rage? Probably. Best way is to give way, but I think someone must teach them a lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
3. Give way whenever possible. The guy behind might be in a genuine hurry
I somehow find this hard to agree with and take in. An ambulance, of course yes. But for others, the road is for everyone to share and obey certain limits in speed and lane discipline. It is very hard, almost impossible to know if anyone is in a genuine hurry. Genuine hurry, even, is debateable. A call centre taxi ferrying its shift employees: genuine hurry? No, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
So how does the victim prove that the culprit was indeed the culprit?
I went in for a car cam. If placed and used properly, it can record sideways and rear incidents and events too. Though I'm not too sure if this can be presented as evidence.
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 10:10   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
I went in for a car cam. If placed and used properly, it can record sideways and rear incidents and events too. Though I'm not too sure if this can be presented as evidence.
Yeah, even I wanted to go with a Car cam. Its just necessary now-a-days I feel. Its a great Idea.

Here's a link: Advanced Car Camera | Vehicle Black Box Car Camera | GPS Data Logger | G-Force Sensor

Last edited by jalsa777 : 14th March 2012 at 10:18.
jalsa777 is offline   Reply With Quote