Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 1st April 2012, 21:14   #1
BHPian

Default Climbing a kerb

Hi,

What is the best way to approach a kerb to climb it - both wheels together straight up or at an angle one wheel at a time?

Would it be any different if one was reversing onto the kerb?

TIA
Old 1st April 2012, 21:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Climbing a kerb

I once saw it being done at an angle, one wheel at a time, at a steady crawling speed. Car was my Dolphin, and the driver was a mechanic from Vicky Chandok's workshop!

That was the only time I saw it happen.
Old 1st April 2012, 21:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why would you want to climb a kerb in the first place?
Old 1st April 2012, 22:04   #4
BHPian

One wheel at a time, if you are sure to not lose traction.
Both wheels together if your car has sufficient GC.
If both options not possible, find another way
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 1st April 2012, 23:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Why would you want to climb a kerb in the first place?
coz its there!!! (with apologies to George Mallory as there is absolutely no comparison to the mountains he climbed )

but seriously its good to know in case one needs to get out of a traffic jam or when the parking (especially in Bangalore) is on the pavement and the access is blocked by other vehicles.

Cheers
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Get yourself a proper SUV.

Under ideal traffic conditions, I can't fathom the need of this exercise.
Old 2nd April 2012, 05:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ideally one should not get on the Kerb, a kerb will never come in your way, there always is an alternative if access to the parking is blocked. I would choose another parking, or get down and ask the blocking guy to clear the access.

If it is unavoidable, due to some abnormal circumstances (which i can only imagine), its got to be one wheel at a time, even then there is a huge risk of damaging this rear undersides of the front wheels as once one wheel goes up, there would be a high probability of the under-body giving a thump.

Alternatively SUV's would be better in such a scenario.
Old 2nd April 2012, 05:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Kerb or ramp or anything alike - there are pros and cons of both techniques

1) One wheel at a time - I have seen many cars loose traction once they have maxed out the articulation (flexing/twisting the suspension) - so nearly one of the drive wheels end up in air - happens all the time my nano (RWD) climbs my apt parking slope (have to adjust the entry angle after one wheel nearly goes in the air)

2) Two wheels - more often than not the issue here is overhang scraping issue with low height cars. I have seen numerous indica/accent/city scraping a good part of the front lower part of the engine guard getting badly scraped - best way to avoid this is Point-1 - but it has its own cons - so mix and match and live with a few tyre squeals and bumper scrapes...
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:42   #9
BHPian

My office campus RMZ Ecospace has a million speedbreakers - the yellow and black fibre ones. These are particularly hard on the suspension. However slow one goes on them I can hear a thud. I have seen that on these speedbreakers, going one wheel at a time (slightly angled approach) helps.
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Kerb or ramp or anything alike - there are pros and cons of both techniques

1) One wheel at a time - I have seen many cars loose traction once they have maxed out the articulation (flexing/twisting the suspension) - so nearly one of the drive wheels end up in air - happens all the time my nano (RWD) climbs my apt parking slope (have to adjust the entry angle after one wheel nearly goes in the air)

2) Two wheels - more often than not the issue here is overhang scraping issue with low height cars. I have seen numerous indica/accent/city scraping a good part of the front lower part of the engine guard getting badly scraped - best way to avoid this is Point-1 - but it has its own cons - so mix and match and live with a few tyre squeals and bumper scrapes...
I think Santosh pretty much hits the nail here.

But the question remains as to why would you like to climb up the kerb. I am sure there would be other ways to park the car. The risk of wheel misalignment is real here(If done at a speed in order to avoid loss of traction). Also in case there is a car which is in close proximity behind you there could be chances that your car loses traction and bangs the car.
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
but seriously its good to know in case one needs to get out of a traffic jam or when the parking
If there is a traffic jam, you cant go too far before you are also stuck. Your best best is still on the road since the vehicles will move at some point of time. Not so with the electricity poles, and junction boxes & bus stops and other immovable objects that are placed on the pavements

Having said that, my answer to your question is:
In the situations you have mentioned, you can only do one wheel at a time: the front first. In the situations you have mentioned, you (your car, and hence both wheels near the kerb) will be parallel to the kerb. There is NO way you can get both wheels up on the kerb together. You will have to get the front up first, then take the rear wheels up.

You CAN do that, if the kerb is not too high. Even if you did manage to, the drop is equally risky - you can end up stuck with out traction. Or at the very least, scrape the underbody.

Suggestions:
Remain on the road. It's simpler
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 07:58   #12
BHPian

I would say under normal circumstances one wheel at a time, particularly if the GC of the vehicle is not that good. You have less chance of scraping the bottom that way.

However, as many people here have said, avoid it as much as possible.

Mod Note : Climbing a kerb is against the law. Let's respect the pedestrian space, God knows it's already limited in our country. Thread closed.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2012 at 12:21. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread