700-799 57 14.11%
800-899 47 11.63%
900-999 35 8.66%
1000+ 153 37.87%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16th June 2009, 11:09   #166
BHPian

Very interesting statistics!! More than 34% of BHPians have driven more than 1000 kms in 24 hours. It all goes to vouch for the authenticity of feedback received on automobiles, roads, speeds etc in this forum. Great place to be.

I wonder how the automotive companies are using this information to tune their products and get feedback on their machines.

Nainar
Old 16th June 2009, 18:16   #167
Senior - BHPian

Recently I did 700+ kms per day starting 06.00 hr to 19.30 hrs with lots of business visit breaks in between. Other than this did some 5-6 trips of 500 kms per day. Would love to break my record and get into 800+ kms per day slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Covered 1150 kms in about 17.5 hours of driving time which included passing through Bangalore ORR at around 9.30 on a weekday evening.
60+ average is good for such long journey of 1000+ kms. Which car?
Old 16th June 2009, 21:01   #168
kdp

Delhi to Thane in 22.5 hours + a 1.5hr rest at an A1 foodcourt on the ahd baroda expressway in Nov 2006. Started on Sunday morning at 4.30am and was ringing my doorbell in thane at 4.15am the next morning.

Car - Fiat Siena 1.6ELX
distance covered -1470km (including a detour at chittoor where I got hopelessly lost)

This was a solo drive and I had a "must attend" meeting on monday morning in Mumbai.

I've become a great believer in the capability of red bull to keep one awake since then

cheers

Kdp
Old 16th June 2009, 23:33   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Delhi to Thane in 22.5 hours + a 1.5hr rest at an A1 foodcourt on the ahd baroda expressway in Nov 2006. Started on Sunday morning at 4.30am and was ringing my doorbell in thane at 4.15am the next morning.

Car - Fiat Siena 1.6ELX
distance covered -1470km (including a detour at chittoor where I got hopelessly lost)

This was a solo drive and I had a "must attend" meeting on monday morning in Mumbai.

I've become a great believer in the capability of red bull to keep one awake since then

cheers

Kdp
Absolutely agree on the redbull bit over here mate. But the I have seen through many drive, both in India and abroad, a 15 min power nap goes much farther than a can of redbull.

Cheers
Old 17th June 2009, 09:38   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
60+ average is good for such long journey of 1000+ kms. Which car?
My humble "White Lightning" - Wagon R Naga.
Old 17th June 2009, 10:12   #171
Senior - BHPian

I had couple of Gurgaon-Chandigarh-Gurgaon and Gurgaon-Haridwar-Gurgaon on same day. I think around 600+ in 24 hours.

along with that some 500+ delhi-Manali in one day
Old 17th June 2009, 11:22   #172
VMG
BHPian

I did three one day trips in the last 6 months.

12 hours trip: ( 4am - 4pm) -
Chennai - Samayapuram(before Trichy) and back to Chennai - 600km

15 hours trip: ( 5am - 8pm)
Chennai - krishnagiri - Salem and back to Chennai - 650km

13 hours trip: (7am - 8pm)
Coorg - Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Chennai - 625 km
Old 21st June 2009, 22:36   #173

I did around 890 kms GOA --- BANGLORE -- TIRUPATI ,GOA - BANGLORE 670 ,BANGLORE -TIRUPATI- 220 KMS in my FRIENDS VERNA CRDI VGT . Strted from GOA at 9 am to 6 pm BANGLORE .REACHED TIRUPATI AROUND 11 00 IN THE NIGHT.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:55   #174
Senior - BHPian

Post 1350kms in 24 hrs

I have covered approximately 1350 kms in 24 hours non stop (other than the mandatory fuel, food and nature calls) from Bangalore to Jabalpur via the NH-7 on my Don (Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 5 speed).
I departed Bangalore at 11am in the morning and reached Jabalpur at 11am next morning.
Old 3rd July 2009, 20:33   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
You should post this in Maruti Website. Probably they need to add another measurement mentioning your achievement.

In a Gypsy with Road Jam 92KMPH speed.

LMFAO.
Dear Brother , I did that trip long ago and there is a miscalculation in KMS it is 780kms. to be correct I am extreamly sorry for the wrong signals I gave AND BY CALCULATIONS IT SEEMED i WAS NOT DRIVING BUT FLYING.
Old 3rd July 2009, 20:41   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
1020 Kms in 11 hours, that means you had an average speed of 92 Kmph!!! How the hell that's possible? What is the maximum speed attainable in a Gypsy? I can't stomach this. As I understand, Gypsy has top speed calibration of 140 kmph on the speedo, but the car actually goes to a mx speed of about 115 Kmph. You have to travel non stop at around this speed to achieve an average of 92 kmph, right?
Dear Sir, this trip was ages ago and there is a miscalculation in KMS. to be correct it is 780 kms I am exteamly sorry for the same. At my earlier spped I was not driving but FLYING. Sorry once again.
Old 15th July 2009, 19:16   #177
BHPian

I have done quite a few trips ranging from 620 to 1250 kms.
1. Satna (MP) to Nagpur - 612 Kms - 12.3 Hrs - Suzuki Shogun - around 8 trips
2. Satna (MP) to Pune - 1350 Kms - 24.6 Hrs - Gypsy MG410 - 2 Trips
3. Satna (MP) to Pune - 1350 Kms - 32 Hrs- Ford GPW'42 - 2 Trips
4. Bangalore to Pune - 800 Kms - 17 Hrs - Suzuki Shogun
And many sub-600 trips

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 6th September 2012, 19:24   #178
BHPian

Default Longest distance covered in a day…

Sure there are lot of car-freaks like me and love to go on long crazy road trips. In Oct 2011, I decided to test my driving abilities / capacity / focus etc etc. Planned itinerary was Mumbai-Udaipur-Delhi-Rishikesh-Delhi-Ajmer-Mumbai which is approx 3500 kms by NH8. This trip was very important as I was looking forward for it since long. After 2 months of efforts, my parents finally agreed for such a long road-trip by myself. Some credit goes to my most dependable navigator friend “Mr. Naveen” who tries not to sleep in the front seat. I have 2 cars: Maruti SX4 (VXi – petrol) and Maruti Ritz (VDi – Diesel). I chose Ritz over SX4 as this was supposedly a budget trip, plus Ritz is 2011 model compared to SX4 which is 2007. So, after convincing my dad and showing him the economics of travelling, he somehow agreed and allowed me to take a hatchback for such a long trip.

Day 1 – Planned itinerary (Mumbai-Udaipur: ~730kms): We left in the wee hours from Mumbai at around 5.30AM (note that I couldn’t get proper sleep the previous night due to the excitement of driving to the Capital city). It did not take much time to negotiate the Mumbai traffic at that time and we were out of the city in approximately 45 mins. I have done a lot of road-trips in my life and the maximum distance, I had travelled was till Udaipur (in my SX4). So, driving a small car like Ritz for more than double the distance was a bit of a challenge. I also strongly feel that driving is a bigger mental test than physical. I was confident that I would be able to reach the decided destination i.e. Udaipur by evening and will stop over for the night. As soon as we reached the highway we tanked-up my baby and were ready to really cover the distance to Udaipur. I was traveling at a decent speed of 80-100 kms depending on the road conditions and traffic. We reached Vadodara at around 11.15AM. Then the 100 km stretch between Vadodara and Ahmedabad was a cruise and crossed Ahmedabad by 12.30AM. So, basically we had covered more than 70% of the journey to Udaipur without any hassle. We stopped over at around 2.00PM for some fuel refilling and stomach refilling in one of the dhabas on Gujarat-Rajasthan border. Trust me the food was too good and I can still remember the taste of the curries that we had ordered. Our journey post-lunch was a bit of a drag specially after eating such sumptuous food @ the dhaba. To our surprise we were just 80 kms away from Udaipur @ around 4.00PM. So, with that speed we would reach our first overnight pit-stop in an hour or so. And without any change in the outcome, we reached Udaipur outskirts at 5.00PM in the evening. Now, I was in touch with my parents en-route and they were like – drive slowly, drive carefully and take proper rest. My dad found it hard to believe that I have driven rationally and reached Udaipur within 12 hours. He is like, even the train takes more time than that . In the interim one of the signboards read Ajmer – 274 kms, Jaipur – 405 kms etc… There were distances of some other places as well, but when me and Naveen saw this particular signboard, both of us exchanged a glare and we knew what the other person is thinking. Actually both of us were thinking the same thing, CAN WE GO TO AJMER AND HAULT? These were the words that I blurted immediately after the exchanged the look. As soon as I said this, Naveen, immediately agreed and our next destination was conveniently shifted from Udaipur which read 4kms to Ajmer which read 274kms… Woaaaaaa some more excitement left in the day and it is not EOD as yet… I was excited for this as we would cover more distance on DAY 1 and then the next day can be relatively relaxed… So, here we go in my Ritz baby which was absolutely flawless in its performance. Another caveat that I missed to mention is that I am very possessive about my car and do not allow anyone else to drive my CAR. And – Naveen doesn’t know to DRIVE … So, this was another piece which excited me that I am going to go the extra mile all by myself…
We had a titzy-bitzy chai / snacks break at around 6.00PM. Rockstar songs were keeping us busy and we were humming along, covering the distance and enjoying every bit of this LEGANDARY road-trip. After covering 200kms, we were close to Ajmer. By the time, Naveen had dozed off for about an hour on the front seat – not a very good navigator, but I let him take a nap as he had travelled by train from Hyderabad the night before. This road-trip was more of a challenge and the point-proving type feeling surpassed my mind every time I thought about it. Anyways, I kept getting calls from friends to ask whether I am ok and where have I reached. Some of my friends were very jealous after reading my status updates on BB.
Ohh yaa, and btw, our purpose of the journey to Delhi was to watch the first F1 race live in the Buddh Circuit. Some kicks we get for doing it in grand style. Going to F1 to Delhi by Car from Mumbai… Hahaha, some crazy kick.
We almost reached Ajmer and Naveen was busy dozing off and I got a call from one of my other car freak friend who has done similar road-trips earlier. He suggested that we should go directly to Jaipur and call it a day there than Ajmer. So, again my thinking cap was activated and the sad feeling of reaching the finish line of Ajmer just got extended. This time I did not consult Naveen and decided to go directly to Jaipur. So, another 2-3 hours of driving and we finally reached Jaipur @ 11.00PM (note we skipped dinner).
Hence, to summarize everything we travelled ~1184kms in a day from MUMBAI to JAIPUR and this was the longest I have travelled in one single day. This journey was concluded in 16-17 hours of drive.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:49   #179
BHPian

Default Re: Max distance covered in 24 hrs

The longest I did was in my friends rickety old Ford Ikon from Manipal to Chennai in 18 hours. A distance of almost 800 kms covered between 0400hrs & 2200 hrs. It was a badly maintained Ikon, he had no cover car park at his place in Manipal and I assume most of us know the weather in Manipal. Let me give you a list of problems with the car.

1. Dead Battery
2. Weak (almost dead) clutch
3. Bald tires, I mean clean as Vinod Kambli's head
4. My friend had a brilliant idea of giving the car for a pressure water wash the day before departure, against my will, all he was successful in was to pull out a was a cable out of the engine. And this caused the engine to keep revving at more than 1500 rpm all the time.
5. Misty front windshield.

The route we took was Manipal - Karkala - Kudhremukh - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Nice Road - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai. This was in peak monsoon season couple of years ago, the Shiradi Ghat was a minefield at that time. But we can never forget the 20 mins breakfast break we took at Kudhremukh peak, it was and still is the most beautiful place I have had my breakfast. We loaded the car with sandwiches and engery drink that we bought last evening.

I was exhausted at Krishnagiri and let my friend drive for couple of minutes and he was not able handle the forsaken car. So, I called my driver in Chennai and asked him to come as far as he could towards us in a bus and took back the reins of the car from my friend. My driver could only make till Sriperambatur Tollgate when we were at kanchipuram By-pass. Asked to get down and wait for us. And he drove from there to our house and he took a days off next day because he was too tired after the 50+ km drive. Imagine me having driven 700+ kms. . My friend was equally tired, asking me why? Because he was the one who pushed the car to get it started everytime we took a break, served him well though for maintaining the car so poorly.

Last edited by Archish : 7th September 2012 at 10:52.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:54   #180
BHPian

Default Re: Max distance covered in 24 hrs

While returning from my recent Ladakh trip: 1910 kms in 43 hrs non-stop, including 1 hr breaks each for lunch and dinner and 2 hour power nap at Kishangarh.
20th August: Swarghat, Himachal Pradesh: started at 7:30am
22nd August, 2 am: Pune

Started in HP, covered Punjab, Rajasthan, Gujarat and ended in Maharashtra. Etched in memory forever.
Closed Thread