Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 3rd April 2006, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Default Team-BHP helped save my life!

well before i actually joined the forums i was surfing around here quite a bit and some posted a nice article on braking called treshold breaking and i though i will give it a try. my aim was to make it like an instict that when ever i brake hard i make sure the wheels dont lock up. so i practiced on the long empty roads of kharghar in different conditions(gravel, wet, normal) and all that finally paid off last week when i was comming home on the infamous palm beach road and at the intersection before seawoods going towards belapur the road was closed on one side and only one side was operational so one biker was triying to join the road going towards vashi comes halfway onto my lane and from the other side a mahindra bolero was making a turn into that road even after flashing my lights they didnt back off and i honked but to no avail so i got on the brakes and managed to stop inches from the bolero. after all that the driver acted as if nothing happened and went on his way and same with the biker. after that incident my trust in treshold breaking was strenghtened and i try it at every speed breaker(make sure there is nobody in front or behind).
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 23:40   #2
BHPian

When we fall in trouble its a general instinct that we lock the wheels with breaks. i did'nt practice much treshold breaking coz i dont like burning my dad car's rubber :-(
Ya i have seen myself locking the wheels with brakes generally, it not that easy to make treshold breaking your habbit.
I heard locking wheels type braking gives only 40% breaking, heard that on discovery channel.
Nice to hear BHPins could save your car and you.
amit1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 23:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

trying to stop with locked wheels is not at all efficeint but it depends on the friction between the tyres and the road.on a wet surface or one with gravel or lose mud it tends to skid much more and makes stoppiing in time almost impossible.so it also depends on the surface of the road.but as far as possible u should noit lock your wheels while braking
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 11:12   #4
BHPian

yep and in that sence i find the nova's breaks to be very responsive and offer some decent feedback but then again i havent ridden any other two-wheelers yet so cant say too much about the opposition
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote