Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th April 2012, 00:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Lone Women Drivers in Delhi. Be Alert. I am still too shocked.

Very unnerving indeed.

A bhpian experienced a phone-snatching attempt in Calcutta. He was waiting at a signal of a busy intersection. During the winters. The windows were open. His SGSII placed in the holder near the middle of the dash.

Just as the signal turned green, a guy comes up to the driver side window and slaps him hard !!!! And immediately reaches out inside the car for the phone.

Thankfully he instinctively fought back with his right hand while the left went out to protect the phone. The man saw the attempt failing, so aborted it and beat a quick retreat.

Very difficult to protect against these. Keep the windows rolled up always?? But if the gang is committed enough ....
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 00:48   #32
BHPian

The whole episode is utterly shocking and I must congratulate you on being as calm as actually were. You post also shows that you were clearly aware of the way the whole incident transpired and that means that you didnt panic.
Too bad the bus dint run over the vermin.
Be very careful about such incidents.
I remember how in Mumbai, on the roads just exiting the city, there would be this duo on a motorcycle who would drive alongside your car and point to the rear and shout something. When you lower the window they would say that your car's exhaust is on fire. Startled lone women (or even male) drivers would stop the car on the highway to inspect the silencer and then these men would strike!
Be ever vigilant and dont stop on the lonely roads. Esp in our Rajdhani
fiestarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 03:26   #33
BHPian

First of all pat on your back for being so brave and calm throughout - I would freak out if someone told I ran over their foot, you should have ideally sounded the horn too, but that could have backfired a mob gathering and believing the pests and taking your case and creating even a bigger seen.

Best is to hide expensjve belongings, have doors locked, put some highly placed authority's stickers on your car, be alert, hit the horn or the gas whichever is better in that situation. Call 100 immediately if situation doesn't improve, don't give in or accept something which you did not do - they will use that against you.

Take care, drive safe - please don't talk on phone while driving.
madnish30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 03:43   #34
BHPian

Please invest in a pepper/chilli spray and keep it in such a location where it is easily accessible. I'm planning to buy one too before my roadtrip by bike to Bangalore in May, you have no clue when you might run into such goons in India.

Last edited by prateekm : 25th April 2012 at 04:10.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 03:49   #35
Team-BHP Support

Let me bring out some of the positives from this:

- Your car door was locked.

- You did not get out of your car.

- You raised the window before the miscreant could run away with your hand-bag.

You may have panicked, but you sure did have the presence of mind to do these things. Many people just freeze and let the imbeciles do what they want to do.

Don't lose heart, friend. You can take a lesson or two from this.

What you can do now, is trace your mobile using the IMEI number on the phone's box. It's very easy to track down the thieves, now that most modern phones come with mobile-trackers. You will get your phone back, and you might even get to apprehend the thieves.

Many have already mentioned this, but I'd also like to say that a can of pepper-spray will give you peace of mind. Even if you don't use it for its intended purpose, you will have that sense of security.

Don't worry about this incident. You will only come out of this, braver and stronger. And more prepared for such situations, of course.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 07:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Horrible to read this.

India is getting more and more lawless by the minute it seems. The have nots vs the haves and all that.

Where are the famous blasted Delhi police when you need them? Or indeed, any policeman when you need help?

Unless our great government can guarantee basic safety for people, we will end up being clubbed along with the likes of Jo'burg in terms of lack of safety and lawlessness. From here it is but a step to making it to headlines on all travel advisories - like they put out for Jo'burg, Brazil etc.

Ridiculous state of affairs. Why do we pay taxes of this kind if the blighters in the government cant even give us law and order and safety?

Better to drive with the doors locked solidly and with the AC on always - this way one can insulate ones self to an extent from the mayhem outside!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th April 2012 at 07:23.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 07:46   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Sugeeta, Happy to know that you managed the situation well (even in the state of shock).

Probably the miscreants thought that you are an easy prey, but otherwise I guess this can happen to anyone who is travelling alone in a private car, irrespective of the gender. The mugging in Bangalore thread gives ample examples of similar incidents.
I suggest that you please file a police case ASAP, and also look to trace the phone (different ways suggested by other members here could be handy)

Going forward, please ensure to keep the phone enclosed in the cubby holes, and the big handbag/laptop in the boot.

Many members suggested avoiding using phone. But in this case, I assume Sugeeta was not using an attached handsfree, but the voice activated Bluetooth in the Fiesta. I don’t think its usage (or not rather non-usage) have made any difference in this scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Hurriedly, I raised the window and he was forced to release my handbag, but ran off with my mobile, straight into the bus behind me. But this was not the end of the story. The bus grazed my car from the rear, and then shot off.
That’s a pity. If the bus driver (and the passengers / on-lookers) have some civic-sense, they could have nabbed the culprit. Instead, they provided him with an escape route.
What’s the damage to the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Anti pinch feature of power windows is a minus point in India.
Oh yes, with these kind of incidents, it really look like a safety hazard.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 09:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
By the way, I'd request folks not to make it an issue with Delhi and onwards with North India/Indians. I think such incidents do happen all across India, and there seem to be some threads already on the forum for similar incidents in Bangalore etc.
Though it may sound rude, it is true. It has nothing to do with Delhites or north Indians. It has to do with the goons, thugs, criminals, who are on hunt 24X7 in Delhi and NCR. Definitely not safe for women. I have driven in Delhi too. And you cant survive if you're not rude (in general). And to add to it, every one has a VIP connection!!
nozzlering is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 09:37   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

That is one scary incident and good to know that you were able to atleast save your handbag from these goons. Off late a lot of such incidents have started taking place. Thieves these days try each and every trick and have become rather innovative. The best way these days is to always drive with the AC on and never open your window for anyone. Some other tricks that these people have used in the past:
1. Your have a puncture.
2. You hit someone.
3. You hit there car.
4. Oil is leaking.
and Many more probably. A couple of people I know have also lost there phones and laptop in a similar way. One way to avoid this is to always keep any shopping bag, purse/wallets etc on the floor of the car. And adjust the seat accordingly so that very little space is left. It becomes very hard for these miscreants to then spot the bags and they don't target your car. I generally keep all such stuff in the boot.

Also do get tints in your car incase you haven't already.

BTW regarding the pepper spray , in this case it might have hurt you more rather than the thief.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 09:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Angry Re: Lone Women Drivers in Delhi. Be Alert. I am still too shocked.

Sugeeta, Very sad to know about the incident. Glad that you were safe. Good that you showed enough presence of mind as to not alight from the car or things could have gone worse. BTW was there any damage to the car coz of the banging on the bonnet. Have you filed a report with the Police?

But it beats me as the incident happened during peak traffic and in a crowded area. If it was in dark, lonely unihabitated alley it would still make sense. Delhi has been ever unsafe for women on roads and in buses and now even the women drivers are being targeted.

Drive safe.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 09:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

A very similar incident happened to my senior manager at the Forum Signal near Koramangala at around 6 pm.

What my senior manager says is that one person pretended that he was hit and another person diverted the attention, he had downed the windows a bit and off they disappear after taking the phone. It all happened in about 20-30 secs.

What I generally after hearing to this incident, when stopping near the signal I have a complete look around and if I find any pedestrian near the car, I simply honk and let them know I am very much awake. Till date I was able to ward off a couple of them though I am not sure if they were theives or just pedestrians.

And another thing, keep the windows rolled up at all signals.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 10:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions what to do next? I was too shocked to react, but would like to take up the incident with the cops, sans the harassment.
Sad turn of events. The world is going to the dogs.
You still managed to show considerable presence of mind.
Keep a plastic gun or a good lookalike handy in the drivers door pocket and dont hesitate to point it from within the car without lowering the windows. It does work as a deterrent.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 10:16   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
A very similar incident happened to my senior manager at the Forum Signal near Koramangala at around 6 pm.

What my senior manager says is that one person pretended that he was hit and another person diverted the attention, he had downed the windows a bit and off they disappear after taking the phone. It all happened in about 20-30 secs.
With me, it happened in like 5 seconds.

Sugeeta, I agree with what Suhaas has said. I think under the circumstances you did pretty good.

I remember you had mentioned in another thread that an MUV full of goon like folks was once nudging your car in stop-go traffic every time the traffic stopped. Wasn't that a bit more unnerving than this?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 11:44   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am narrating my personal experience.
Just came across this thread, and the first thing I did was to call my wife (who's gone out since morning - the same status as you, i.e. lone woman driver), narrate the story to her, and warn her not to fall for the same if it happens to her. Thank you for updating us with the latest tactics used by these goons.

Edit: I don't expect anything to come out of a police FIR about your lost phone, unless you have a tracker in it, and/or know someone working with your network service provider, who can block the IMEI and render the phone a dud for all practical purposes and/or trace the new SIM that would be working inside it.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 25th April 2012 at 11:48.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 11:47   #45
BHPian

See if you get your phone back.

I can understand what you must feeling at this moment, but I would suggest you forget the incident as if it was a bad dream.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote