Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th April 2012, 19:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Extorted by Chennai cops for no fault of mine!

Post deleted. Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking & driving, underage driving and street racing. Posts that don't abide by this view, or containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly), will not be entertained on the forum. This rule affects all posts from 1st Jan 2009 onwards.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2012 at 22:05.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 13:53   #32
BHPian

There is absolutely no logic in the sympathy that some members are extending to Cops saying that they are lowly paid. On the contrary, cops are very well paid post Pay Commision, considering their lack of academic qualifications and other basic skills.
They have no business extorting people; or misusing their power.
These days with the media waiting for a chance to bring out 'breaking news', I dont see why you cant call the cop's bluff.
If you are not in the wrong then clearly insist on the same and tell him that if he falsely implicates you, then the media, courts and the public will hear of his behavior; cops are suspended if such reports go to higher ups.
It is time, Gentlemen, to confront your fears!
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 14:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Rajan,

If you are on FB, report this incident with details on Chennai Traffic Police page. Things are not as bad as it was earlier and you might see some action being taken after investigating the details.

Take care! Failing to report these incidents to the right authorities is where failure of the judicial system starts! :-)

Last edited by anachronix : 1st May 2012 at 14:51.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 15:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

This is pathetic. Few more details about the exact spot would be helpful. I am sure YOU HAVE TO WRITE ABOUT THIS to someone, at least the facebook page.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
rajanprash,

If you try to stay away from such cops then still you may get trapped in such traps.

The best way out is -
  • Do not loose confidence and don't get nervous
  • Be confident and pull out your camera phone and start recording. (I am sure most of us have camera recording feature enabled in our cellphones with one or two button clicks. If not then try to put camera shortcuts and be expert to start recording without looking at the screen or keypad.)
  • Repeat his demands while keeping camera in your hand and facing towards him.
  • Also try to call him with his name during the recording
  • Pay him the bribe
  • Get inside your car and leave the venue.
  • Stop the recording
  • Reach your home safely
  • Next day, file a complaint to DCP /SP (minimum IAS rank) of the area with a copy to higher authorities (like commissioner of police, Vigilance dept. of Police, Home Ministry of your state etc.) and mention about the incident and mention the proof which you have got. And also mention that after this complaint, you still fear that such policemen may trap you in more false case(s).
Now relax at your home and after 15-20 days, file a RTI to track the progress of your complaint. Such cops need to be punished.

Cheers!
Irish
Thats the best way out. Even if you post it to the Commissioner of police nothing happens, I have already done that and its 3 years and no reply. Did re send that mail 5 to 6 times.

Again the best way to have a proof in favor of us is to record the conversation.
haithereitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:20   #36
BHPian

This is a case of pure exhortion. I can readily understand that you were unerved and agreed to pay a bribe. i would have too, if i were in your shoes. However this must not go unreported. Meet with the editor of the weekly newspapers in your locality and see if they will carry the story. Go to the office of the DCP of that area and give a written report of the incident carrying complete details of when and where the incident happened along with the name and rank of the policemen invoved. If you know any senior government officers ask them to talk to the DCP before you go to see him. They will definitely take action. If a few of us do this then atleast the senior officers will become what is happening in their areas and warnings will be issued to all Police stations under their control. It will ensure that the culprits are more careful in future.
Regards,
Ashok

Last edited by ashphil : 1st May 2012 at 16:27. Reason: power interruption
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:23   #37
BHPian

Cool Re: Extorted by Chennai cops for no fault of mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Thats the best way out. Even if you post it to the Commissioner of police nothing happens, I have already done that and its 3 years and no reply. Did re send that mail 5 to 6 times.

Again the best way to have a proof in favor of us is to record the conversation.
That's why, I mentioned to file an application under RTI act 2005. I have seen the system working with RTI applications in almost all the government offices except for the municipality dept.

If RTI application is not replied with in the stipulated time frame then you have got the options of First Appeal (with FAA) and thereafter 2nd Appeal (with CIC, New Delhi). I agree that there is corruption but still you can get justice, if you have patience to fight.

And one correction in my previous post - Please read IAS as IPS.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 1st May 2012 at 16:25.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 17:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
That's why, I mentioned to file an application under RTI act 2005. I have seen the system working with RTI applications in almost all the government offices except for the municipality dept.

If RTI application is not replied with in the stipulated time frame then you have got the options of First Appeal (with FAA) and thereafter 2nd Appeal (with CIC, New Delhi). I agree that there is corruption but still you can get justice, if you have patience to fight.

And one correction in my previous post - Please read IAS as IPS.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish, thats a good info on the RTI. I will surely try this out out the next time I get into a mess with the cops.
haithereitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 18:15   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
One bunch of cops...
No names and / or what police station they are posted in? Any name badges? My hunch says these were fake cops. You may consider filing an FIR regarding the matter, but since the amount of Rs.500 is small, it may not be worth your while. Cut your losses and file this away as a learning experience.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 20:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Gurus, please pardon me for saying this. From my personal experience I have felt very bad for the absence of laws in India.
I stay in Chennai and was returning late from my friends house at around 2:30 am.-------.
Where did this happen?

As said earlier, you must at-least lodge a complaint with the Mayor of Chennai corporation Mr. Saidai Duraisamy. IIRC, there is a dedicated facility at his office for such complaints and I have heard good things about the same.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 20:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted. Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking & driving, underage driving and street racing. Posts that don't abide by this view, or containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly), will not be entertained on the forum. This rule affects all posts from 1st Jan 2009 onwards.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2012 at 22:07.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 20:55   #42
BHPian

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2012 at 22:08.
vineetmanghani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 21:36   #43
BHPian

Oh man, I have started the topic that cops were paid low. but i DO mention in my post that its not right to extort people. I also mentioned that some cops even ready to take bribe as low as 5/- Rs. which makes me think the extent of their greed towards bribe. They will not behave this cheap if they got paid decently thats what i mentioned.

Extorting citizens is NOT correct, that every one will agree.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 22:29   #44
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Extorted by Chennai cops for no fault of mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Oh, the blood boils.

And you can't really blame them. They get paid a pittance, and this drives them to take such measures.
Really? I believe if this logic holds true with cops as per their salary then laborers, masons, beggars and other BPL population should be fine to go to any extent including murder, robbery, loot whenever they see any opportunity and we should sympathize with them.

Higher the position of any cop, higher is their salary and higher the money they make from corruption, of course it doesn't hold true for all for but for more than not.
gupta_chd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 22:53   #45
BHPian

Sorry to hear about this friend.
Sometimes you really cant help it. Only way to get through them is to pay them.
I had so many experiences with corrupt cops.
I am just waiting to buy a GoPro or Contour camera, so that whenever i ride and anything like this happens, I can record every damn thing. (Frustrated Guy)
pratheekkunder is offline   Reply With Quote