Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 17:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
So many have lost their lives trying to reach the Everest. But people from world over keep coming and keep trying.

If someone likes doing something, despite the risks involved, its their take
SP my man,

I completely disagree. Any chap who falls to his death on everest endangers no one except the climbers on his rope or the ones below or something like that.

These chaps would have sped at a driving average of 92 kph through roads with other users sharing the same road. Take a step back and tell me if you really think that their act of speeding 6000km has the same risk:
- Same # of folk going through their daily routine
- Same risk of injury (death/maiming) to the above folk

Really? The number estimate follows below.

PS: This is not a judgement on their driving abilities but my faith in the law of averages & TANSTAAFL. Even the best can go down when pushed to the limit and in a bad moment - as Vinu's unfortunate case shows.

PPS: Here are some numbers to digest. Leaving bio / rest breaks aside, they need about 5 hours for toll plazas min (assuming a toll every 60km and 3 min/toll).
They need about 2.5 hours just for fueling - they used 300L min (take 2L/min), given they also had to first fill up and then emptying those unwieldy jerry cans consumes time as well.

That means they took 72 hours for just driving 6000km. That takes the average to an even more astonishing 83.3 kph!

But let's now take delhi/mumbai into account and be more accurate. 5 hours for 81km. i.e remaining 5887km in 67 hours or 87.9 kph!

Now assume they stopped for only one hour of breaks (bio/car) every 1500km only. i.e an astonishing 92.0 kph over 64 driving hours.

Please tell me how you can achive 92 kph over 64 hours at a trot without endangering some lives in the process. This is NOT Le Mans.
phamilyman is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 18:27   #17
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 626
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
How many of us have tried free fall, bungee jumping, deep sea diving, para gliding, white water rafting, etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Risk is always involved, whether you are doing adventure activities like rafting, bungee jumping, or driving on highway, but we can't ban such activities right.
Come on guys, please don't equate these personal adventure sports to driving on our roads clocking 150+kmph. Even the driver, car and the roads can take the challenge, there are other elements on our roads. Personal risks are different from risking other road users.

Its not the question of breaking the speed limits, everyone does it including myself, its the way we endorse the outlaw. If Limca really endorse this record, I have no words to describe how pitiful it would be.

Off topic:
A slight different version from US. This guy called Alex Roy did 'Cannonball Run' - US coast to coast run in 32 hours in a BMW M5. Amazed by the amount of gadgets they took along in their cars to remain completely stealth, hiding from laser guns, running without headlights with infrared camera, switching off tail lamps to give away signs of braking due to speed guns, police radio scanners, and finally an aircraft pilot to spot the upcoming cops location.

A pretty long story:
The Pedal-to-the-Metal, Totally Illegal, Cross-Country Sprint for Glory

Alex Roy on Letterman - January 8th, 2008 - YouTube

Its seriously outlaw and the guy was scared that he might get arrested after the Letterman show.
bejoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 19:08   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 593 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

I completely disagree. Any chap who falls to his death on everest endangers no one except the climbers on his rope or the ones below or something like that.

Now assume they stopped for only one hour of breaks (bio/car) every 1500km only. i.e an astonishing 92.0 kph over 64 driving hours.

Please tell me how you can achive 92 kph over 64 hours at a trot without endangering some lives in the process. This is NOT Le Mans.
Completely agree with Phamilyman. Having done numerous highway trips in various parts of India, i have realized that I cannot go above 80. This is not because the vehicle cannot or the road conditions don't permit, but because it just isn't worth the risk. Whenever I've tried to reach a destination in the same amount of time that a few colleagues have said is "easy", I end up in a white-knuckled frowning concentration and a few close shaves later, I give it up and drive at my own pace.

More importantly, since this is not about my skills which can be questioned, but about the bare fact that one cannot do an average of 80kmph on our highways without endangering oneself AND OTHER TRAVELLERS.

Coming to the bungee jumping analogy. Simply put, if someone wanted to jump in a well, they may please do so by all means. I don't really give a damn. But it would considerably p me off (please forgive my language) if they caught hold of anyone I am emotionally invested in on their way down. Similarly, if someone wants to drive at insane speeds, they must consider that an accident is most likely going to affect another entire family as well.

This "Safe" speed run is in my opinion both pointless and hypocritical. Why run around in circles? Prime example of going nowhere, fast. Request the mods to please either lock, or better yet delete this entire thread.

Last edited by VeluM : 19th May 2012 at 19:10.
VeluM is offline  
Old 19th May 2012, 19:29   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,134
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

Completely agree with phamilyman. There is a big risk involved in performing these kind of adventures on Indian roads - not only for the passengers, but also for others on the road. Promoting safe driving with such an adventure is a joke.
PatienceWins is offline  
Old 19th May 2012, 19:47   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,815
Thanked: 358 Times
Arrow Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
SP my man,

I completely disagree. Any chap who falls to his death on everest endangers no one except the climbers on his rope or the ones below or something like that.

....................

Now assume they stopped for only one hour of breaks (bio/car) every 1500km only. i.e an astonishing 92.0 kph over 64 driving hours.

Please tell me how you can achive 92 kph over 64 hours at a trot without endangering some lives in the process. This is NOT Le Mans.
+1 to that, nice analysis.

Points raised by SP do not really apply to this speed race. 6000 kms in 79 hrs, requires speeding on a Punto size car, not being able to control in an emergency etc., the risks to public life is staring at us!!

I am also surprised by the supportive statements, just don't understand how anyone can justify putting public life at stake for personal records. This is not an event / rally where police clear the roads, people are aware and cars + drivers are screened for safety issues.

I feel the mods should axe this thread altogether, glorifying such acts would encourage others to beat the records.

---Ramky
=======
ramkya1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 21:13   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,477 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There is no damn way anyone can honestly put their hands on their hearts and call this a safe drive.
I am sorry but this is not just about endurance but breakneck pace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
As you know, in most highways of India it is 60 kmph, and in some instances 80 kmph and just a few expressways are above that.
I am not a speed run guy - as phamilyman has already said...
...all of us here must take whatever is read here - or elsewhere in the press (this feat has been reported widely in the regional press) -in the correct spirit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
These chaps would have sped at a driving average of 92 kph...
The number estimate follows below.
Leaving bio / rest breaks aside, they need about 5 hours for toll plazas min (assuming a toll every 60km and 3 min/toll).
They need about 2.5 hours just for fueling -
That means they took 72 hours for just driving 6000km. That takes the average to an even more astonishing 83.3 kph!...delhi/mumbai into account and be more accurate. 5 hours for 81km. i.e remaining 5887km in 67 hours or 87.9 kph!

Now assume they stopped for only one hour of breaks (bio/car) every 1500km only. i.e an astonishing 92.0 kph over 64 driving hours.

Please tell me how you can achive 92 kph over 64 hours at a trot without endangering some lives in the process. This is NOT Le Mans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
+1 to that, nice analysis.
What an analysis, phamilyman! The hallmark of armchair driving is the ability to analyse this run in terms of such numbers.

I have covered 1500+ km from CCU to DEL in around 22 hrs in March this year, averaging around 70 km/h in a 2-tonne vehicle where my self-imposed speed limit was a GPS-indicated 105 km/h (have done it in ~20 hrs in an Accent earlier - you know pretty well that all my drives are as a solo driver!). For 2 drivers rotating, in a fast hatch, covering 6000km in <80hrs is not unachievable without needing to exceed 120-130km/h IMO - which may technically break expressway speed limits in some cases, but is absolutely safe in most cases. Remember, they were carrying food et al., so minimizing on the number of stops.

The day someone does this run solo, staying awake 80+ hrs at a stretch, that'd be unsafe - or a feat of superhuman endurance.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 19th May 2012 at 21:14.
SS-Traveller is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 22:05   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

What an achievement. I laud your achievement Bhaskar and Prabhakar. They have achieved something. Most of the fence sitter always criticize. I personally congratulate both of them for achievement.

I also driven extensively on these GQ and believe me they are the safest roads. During my travel to my hometown my average speed on these highways are ~70Kmph. It was safe 100%. Never had any scary moment.

I laud their endurance for this achievement. I can drive 15 - 17 hours in a stretch.

There are many activities involved which has risk. People should not leave at that.

OT: Bhaskar you did not inform me that you came to Bangalore. I could have come to meet you. You helped me bypassing Vizag during my hometown trip and you are fantastic person to meet.
anujmishra is offline  
Old 19th May 2012, 22:09   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
So many have lost their lives trying to reach the Everest. But people from world over keep coming and keep trying.

If someone likes doing something, despite the risks involved, its their take.

So many other activities and sports around us are risky, but those who enjoy it and can do it never backs down.

How many of us have tried free fall, bungee jumping, deep sea diving, para gliding, white water rafting, etc etc.

Would it be nice to ban such sports activities for the risk involved.

I could not have done this drive, but if someone has safely finished it, feel good for their personal achievement.
On the road you can kill others. Such risks are minimal with other "adventure sports".
So your argument is truly without any logic
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 22:10   #24
BHPian
 
San Phrangmung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 578
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

@ phamilyman : I personally try to follow the 'Start early, drive slowly, reach safely' mantra as much as possible.
On the highway, (which are 90 % two lane without divider) i really feel angry when someone overtakes on curves, or multipile vehicles in one go, or despite there being no gap.

Over speeding is present and shall be there forever in a country where people don't even stop by zebra crossing in our citys.

And given our highway condition and rural slow moving traffic on it
a risk is ever present.

@ Bejoy : Thanx for the Alex Roy link.....shall read it tomorrow.

@ Ramkay : Ok car + speed vs adventure sports risk has diffrent dimensions.

But why just single out this two chaps who just loves to drive just like all of us and wanted to do something to challange their abilities.

There are so many things happening around us right now in this country that is not just putting someones life at risk but killing them slowly. Ex: fake medicine, fake food products, duplicate machinery, wrong dignosis, wrong treatment, false certificate, issuing driving license without taking any test, parents that give their school going children bikes and they do a Dhoom on city roads etc etc.

Lets not make it sound like these chaps have commited a crime.

@ tsk : Lol...... yeah logical mess up in a way. I missed the highway being used by those elements that otherwise should not be there. But in this country we have to live with that. But its more fulfilling for some to drive through such messy highway conditions and presence. Some like it some don't, despite the illogic. ;-)


But at the end that BRO sign must be remembered by all.

Speed thrills........but kills. :-)

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 19th May 2012 at 22:34.
San Phrangmung is offline  
Old 19th May 2012, 22:25   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,134
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post

But why just single out this two chaps who just loves to drive just like all of us and wanted to do something to push their limits.

There are so many things happening around us right now in this country that is not just putting someones life at risk but killing them slowly. Ex: fake medicine, fake food products, duplicate machinery, wrong dignosis, wrong treatment, false certificate, issuing driving license without taking any test, parents that give their school going children bikes and they do a Dhoom on city roads etc etc.

Lets not make it sound like these chaps have commited a crime.

But at the end that BRO sign must be remembered.

Speed thrills........but kills. :-)
The issue with promoting such adventures/ events is that many people get motivated to do such things without much experience and abilities. The two chaps who have done it may have the ability to do so, but is should not be promoted, in my opinion. It puts the person as well as public at risk. The best example is Saddle Sore and Butt Burner for motorcycle riders - To reach the milestone people push themselves. I know many people who have met with major accidents by attempting Saddle Sore/ Butt Burners. Everyone has the right to test their endurance and abilities, head to track for such purposes. Please spare public roads!

Last edited by PatienceWins : 19th May 2012 at 22:27.
PatienceWins is offline  
Old 19th May 2012, 22:34   #26
BHPian
 
PM - B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 176
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

I find the above attitude absolutely amazing,

1. Bad things can happen at any time at any speed (as low as STATIONARY).
2. Irrespective of how fresh you are or tired.
3. Whether it is endurance or speed racing.
4. Almost everybody (generalization - which means there are exceptions, hence almost) speeds and are proud of it.
5. Everybody will have had close shaves.
6. The fault could be yours or somebody elses does not prevent bad things.
7. There are sections on the GQ dependent on time and 30 other parameters where in one can comfortably cruise at higher speeds (Triple Digit).
8. There are sections on the GQ where you expect to speed and will not be able for another 30 parameters.
9. Hence you can still get a good - decent average.
10. A car should inherently have better dynamics and handling than say non car category autos. The Punto i will assume is a very decent handler. (Reference: the feedback of many people on this forum).
11. Nobody justifies putting public safety at stake. Refer points 14, 15, 16, 17.
12. One gets on the road and drives, you check the distance and time travelled as per what the road allowed on that particular trip. And you get your data.
13. The same trip (Above Point) on another day can give you a completely different distance, speed and time travelled due to some 30 other parameters coming into play.
14. Bad things can happen whether you are driving 30 KMs, 3000 KMs, 6000 KMs or XX000 KMs.
15. Just because one is driving 5 KMs or 100KMs does not mean one can drive rashly.
16. I am sure most everybody (Again there are exceptions - hence most) here on this forum at some or the other time will have gone in excess of 130 KMPH.
17. A huge portion of us would have averaged higher than 76 KMPH travelled. This could be over a short distance or a long distance. It doesnt matter. I have personally seen M800, Santro, I10, Beat, Spark being driven at relatively high triple digit speeds, i am not bringing in the I20, Punto, Polo in to the discussion as they may be a bit bigger, powerful and more stable than the afore mentioned cars.
18. So this is a pure case of the pot calling the kettle black.
19. Most people who have done long drives on this forum would easily average the same or higher. The difference being we would be driving solo hence we stop, here there are i assume at least two drivers. Hence one drives the other rests. And the number seemingly is amazing but i am pretty sure there are enough people who would have done higher averages and speeds.
20. Obviously if one is driving at speed, it may also depend on the ease with which the said vehicle will handle at speed, assuming the road allows the same, the ability of the driver to be able to handle the same.

In the end i would assume that the people who did the drive would have aimed to drive as the conditions permitted wanting to be safe for themselves and others and IN THIS ITERATION were able to complete 6000KMs in 79 Hrs.
This does not mean that it was wrong or right, the next time someone does this it may take 65 Hrs or 99 Hrs depending on the conditions prevalent at the time.


PS: I am not going to respond to anything further on this thread. DRIVE SAFE.
PM - B is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 22:47   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,345 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The issue with promoting such adventures/ events is that many people get motivated to do such things without much experience and abilities. The two chaps who have done it may have the ability to do so, but is should not be promoted, in my opinion. It puts the person as well as public at risk. The best example is Saddle Sore and Butt Burner for motorcycle riders - To reach the milestone people push themselves. I know many people who have met with major accidents by attempting Saddle Sore/ Butt Burners. Everyone has the right to test their endurance and abilities, head to track for such purposes. Please spare public roads!
The world is not all about the 3 Monkeys story: See Good, Hear Good, Talk Good.
You read the good and the bad - although what one persons perceives to be bad may not be so bad after all.

Others will emulate - yes, they will, but I am sure they will also be mature enough to debate things in their own mind, and not simply do something senseless beyond their abilities just because someone has done something! That would be to denigrate their intelligence and assume that people simply ape whatever is done by another. Definitely, there will be some who will try to excel or beat the other, that is after all the essence of competition.

This news has been splashed across the largest selling newspaper in Andhra Pradesh - and one with a very high readership not only in India but also abroad - but that does not mean that the newspaper is irresponsible in writing about this duo's deeds. After all, every event or news is viewed differently by different persons. For example, we talk about a speed run by the duo - do you know that they were 4.5 hours slower in the Bombay-Delhi sector than I have been? Does that make me a speed maniac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
I find the above attitude absolutely amazing,
Very right!
One should not assume that anything that is extraordinary is not good or is undesirable. After all, they are also guys with families & responsibilities, so obviously they are also taking a calculated risk based on their perception of their abilities.

Last edited by hvkumar : 19th May 2012 at 22:48.
hvkumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 22:55   #28
BHPian
 
San Phrangmung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 578
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

@ Patience Wins : Yes agreed that its not for everyone, only seasoned drivers / bikers should try something like that.

But who will keep those road rage Taxi and Bus drivers off the road ? Atleast people who try these kind of endurence drive are responsible chaps unlike the taxi bus yamdoots.
San Phrangmung is offline  
Old 19th May 2012, 23:18   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 593 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

The world is not all about the 3 Monkeys story: See Good, Hear Good, Talk Good.
You read the good and the bad - although what one persons perceives to be bad may not be so bad after all.
So you think it was a bad idea too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar
Very right!
One should not assume that anything that is extraordinary is not good or is undesirable. After all, they are also guys with families & responsibilities, so obviously they are also taking a calculated risk based on their perception of their abilities.
There is absolutely no need to assume anything. The facts are pretty clear, and calling someone an armchair driver is a pretty lame come-back in face of those facts. Will the argument now be that the trip was concluded without bio breaks, or that they filled fuel on the go?

Lets get one thing straight. No one is saying that the feat itself is not amazing. It is also undeniably horrifying, and irresponsible. These family guys should have considered that the lives that they risked were part of many other families too. Let them send their families out hoping that maniacal driver(s) like themselves hasn't taken it upon himself or themselves to break this record on the same day.

The Only reason this thread exists is because the two drivers were just plain lucky that nothing unforeseen occurred. Thank God for small mercies.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 23:19   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

What about sleep? How did they drive non-stop? Perhaps one takes a nap while the other drives? Dangerous.

Didn't two bhpians from Bangalore who left on a similar drive in a Swift a couple of years ago, meet with an accident near Ahmedabad?
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Nano drives into the Guinness Book of World Records JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 0 26th June 2013 16:05
Attempt at Limca records : GQ traversal in 72 hours. emkay456 Street Experiences 38 10th July 2010 12:41
Ford Fiesta enters Limca Book of Records!! kdb The Indian Car Scene 49 19th September 2006 15:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks