Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd August 2012, 20:07   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Cops pull the blinds on dazzling headlights in Chennai

This is a real welcome move wherein the actual safety aspect is being checked (unlike the sunfilm fiasco) . I have seen some bird brained guys strutting their overpowered lights in hi beam and blinding the oncoming driver, they do not bother to switch to low beam even if you flash your lights which is a universal symbol to inform that( Ouch! your light is burning my eye !)
Add to this they also focus their light that it lights up the road like a flare and focuses on everything except the road ahead. God help law abiding netizens of T-BHP and the brethren alike. Hopefully cops should use good judgement for picking up the odd ones.

Cheers
prasad

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 22nd August 2012 at 20:08. Reason: deleting
Dieseldunk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yup due to the specs the glare is too much on your eyes. With the lenses too it would stay to some extent and then lenses do have there own set of problems. So thats something that doesn't work for me. My solution: I don't venture out on highways in the night. National highways are still manageable but state highways are a big no no. City driving is not a problem since in Delhi you will find street lighting in abundance.
Have you looked at the anti glare lenses for your specs? I have read about these. They seem to cut off glare from oncoming light at night and help reduce fatigue. May be you can consult an optician for this. Hope it helps.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:27   #33
BHPian

Simple question here: what happens to company installed HID's in D+ segment cars? Company installed HID's are not at all blinding to the opposite drivers. Moreover, most company installed HID's are for LOW - BEAM only and for high beam, they have separate bulb.

For all those blaming white lights, please understand that it's the after-market installed HID wannabes that are causing the issue and not the company installed ones. These cars are homologated so they are perfectly legal.

Edit: What cops need to do is to go after morons who drive with High beam all the time. Again, before anybody brings in the issue of people crossing roads etc., I am talking about morons driving on High Beam and not changing it to Low Beam even after spotting car coming from opposite direction.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 22nd August 2012 at 21:30.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
which is a universal symbol to inform that( Ouch! your light is burning my eye !)
I was told that in UK/ USA (cant recollect where exactly) flashing of light means asking the other person to pass first!

Also, if one checks the philips rally lamps - 90/100 W its very clearly mentioned that it's for off road use in the EU. Does anyone know if there is any such upper limit rule that's applicable here in India?
aghosht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
Also, if one checks the philips rally lamps - 90/100 W its very clearly mentioned that it's for off road use in the EU. Does anyone know if there is any such upper limit rule that's applicable here in India?
If you buy those bulbs here, you will see the box clearly mentions "Not Legal For Road Use".

Over here the rule is actually pretty simple. You cannot make alterations to a vehicle which will violate manufacturer specifications. Almost all vehicles have headlight bulbs of 55/60w rating. Anything over and above this is illegal.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 06:53   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I was told that in UK/ USA (cant recollect where exactly) flashing of light means asking the other person to pass first!

You are right, normally that is what happens in a traffic abiding populace. If some one approaches you with a hi-beam without any apparent reason all you have to do is flash the hi beam once back to let know to him/her of the glare. This is true of places wherein traffic sense is abandoned for good and if you follow the same you get queer looks and stares.

coming to your second point normally in EU/USA city roads are well lit. it makes sense for that info on the bulb pack to remain.

Cheers
prasad
Dieseldunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while traveling in a taxi, the driver was pulled up by cops for exceeding the notified speed of 70kmph and was fined 400 bucks. I could interact with the SI and his assistant and they opined that their action has reduced accidents. I asked them regarding the menace of very powerful high beams which is also reason for many accidents. These cops were not at all awaref the limiting wattage of heaslamps as per MV rules.
And their what if attitude was a revelation. No wonder that they would act only if some court give a verdict like in the sun-film issue.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:49   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Now all white-light cars will be pulled over by over-zealous cops. ...God help Indian motorists form these I'm-the-law cops. They have their own interpretations to suit their requirements
They better do that. It may be news to you but globally (and possibly India), the standard is 4300K (yellow light). White light and esp purple light IS BLINDING!

Every idiot who runs around with white lights should be penalised and made to stare into his own ex-headlights for days to realize the torture he/she is inflicting mindlessly on others.

Damn neat I say - it'll stop the cheap 6000-8000K HID / high wattage bulbs that many folks use. good riddance. it brings everyone down to a common level.

/of course the 30W rule is silly - its 55/60, but in that sense, its equally likely that the journalists don't know better.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:54   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is the near universal practice. I can vouch for GB, F, D, NL, B, CH for sure. I am not sure about one (was it Spain) European country where you were required to flash before overtaking. This was the late 1970's. I guess with the EU they might have changed the rules about this for conformity. Here flashing as a 'come on' signal would lead to chaos.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Where is this 1 Km of dream road in Chennai? Can you please post a picture of the same! Because our lovely Madras is known for such start-ups but nothing lasts for over a year!
It's the road from Wavin Junction, Mogappair towards the Merc, VW and Tata showrooms. It's a normal 2 lane road with lots of traffic and potholes, but the lighting done by K-Lites company is awesome. Guess the company is also located in the vicinity.

Edit:Googled and got this image. It's known as 'giraffe light' and seems they have installed the same in few other locations in other cities too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Daewood : 23rd August 2012 at 12:28.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Great move! I hope this is rolled out across India on a war footing. More accidents would be caused due to this menace than due to sunfilms.

I also wish something could be done about the high beam and unnecessary fog lamp usage in town. Was there a rule years ago that required the top part of the headlamp to be painted black? Can that not be brought back please?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Good move by cops in Chennai 8 meters is approx 26.25 feet and not even headlight of a truck should blind one at that distance, I think they arrived at the figure after some study or practical experience. I tested in my basement parking my Safari headlamps ( Osram nightbreaker 55/65W) does not blind at distance of approx 12- 15 feet in low beam and I can see vehicle.

Talking about educating drivers on t-bhp itself many people think that it is OK to drive on highway with highbeam if there is no oncoming traffic.

No Sir not even on national highway and not even if there is no one in sight, In fact you should use the stalk to flash the beam just to signal in night and not keep it at hi beam position continuously.

Driving with low beam ensures that you can see the kerb and the road till atleast 0.5 KM to 750 M ahead of you while with high beam the visibility in immediate vicinity is lost and you strain your eyes much more.

As per my personal experience my longest drive in a single day is 1150 KM ( stopped at 12:30 in night) out of which night drive was done on single lane state highways for approx 250 KM and rest being 4 lane and a big factor in keeping fatigue and strain minimum is keeping the beam low speed I maintain is 120-140 on 4 lane empty highway 90 - 110 on 4 lane highway with some traffic and 80 - 110 on state highways.

I use the stalk to flash and probe the distance ahead occasionaly on disolute roads
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 08:30   #43
BHPian

Death of a biker on Sumanahalli flyover turns spotlight on the menace

The traffic police have booked as many as 7,137 cases against vehicles for “dazzling lights” until July this year alone.— Photo: K. Murali Kumar
The traffic police have booked as many as 7,137 cases against vehicles for “dazzling lights” until July this year alone.— Photo: K. Murali Kumar
The death of a 21-year-old girl when her two-wheeler collided with an oncoming car, allegedly with high beam lights, has put the spotlight on the menace.

‘Anti-glare’ is a feature many a biker seeks while looking for a helmet, or a pair of ‘night’ goggles, and for a reason. Blinding high beam lights from oncoming vehicles are a menace that even the traffic police find difficult to reign in.

The usage of high beam lights is banned within city limits, but the rule is flouted. The traffic police have booked as many as 7,137 cases against vehicles for ‘dazzling lights’ until July this year alone.

However, proving this in court in accident cases is difficult, say cops.

“Conviction on the grounds of a motorist using high beams is rare,” said an officer.

Those who get caught with their ‘dazzling lights’ on are fined a mere Rs. 100 before being let off.

Difficult to prove

In case of the 21-year-old student, the complaint says that the girl was blinded by the high beam lights from an oncoming car, causing her to first hit a pedestrian on Sumanahalli flyover, fall down after losing balance after which she was run over by the car.

“We have arrested the car driver. Though we book a case of negligent driving, it is always difficult to prove this in court. It is difficult to prove that the dazzling lights were on unless there is a witness,” said an officer from the Kamakshipalya traffic police.

Problem is street lighting

Vehicle users, in their defence, say the lighting on many stretches is simply not enough, forcing them to switch to high beam.

The traffic police do not deny this allegation.

“It is true that many stretches are without street lighting. Examples are the Outer Ring Road and stretches of Kamakshipalya. There is a need to improve lighting for which we are in touch with the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike,” said R. Hitendra, Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic).

Going by the rule book

According to Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989…

Under ‘Deflection of lights’…

- No lamp showing a light to the front shall be used on any motor vehicle unless such lamp is so constructed, fitted and maintained that the beam of light emitted is permanently deflected downwards…

- Is capable of being deflected downwards by the driver in such manner as to render it incapable of dazzling any person…
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle8992408.ece
Moderators:IIf not posted in the right thread,I request you to shift to a suitable thread.Thanks

Last edited by virgopal : 16th August 2016 at 08:33. Reason: addition of request to Mods
virgopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 11:02   #44
BHPian

Pardon my rant:

I think we can use technology to solve this problem of beaming morons.

The light circuitry may consist of a chip that receives a signal (via Bluetooth or RF) from within a certain proximity that trips it to low beam.

It should be impossible to bypass this requirement which should also be statutory.

Uses:

A road can be fitted with triggers that force lights of every vehicle entering it in to low beam.

An oncoming vehicle's high beam bothering you? Your vehicle can also be equipped with the trigger that forces it into low beam.

Voila! Problem solved
VintageSree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 23:31   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think this is the near universal practice. I can vouch for GB, F, D, NL, B, CH for sure.
It is universal practice in UK, but it is contrary to the UK Highway Code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Talking about educating drivers on t-bhp itself many people think that it is OK to drive on highway with highbeam if there is no oncoming traffic.

No Sir not even on national highway and not even if there is no one in sight, In fact you should use the stalk to flash the beam just to signal in night and not keep it at hi beam position continuously.
I disagree. On empty roads and, especially at high speeds on highways: use high beam. Dip when there is another vehicle approaching you or one in front. British motorway drivers have this down to a fine art: overtaking vehicle puts high beam as it passes, the overtaken vehicle dips... until the faster vehicle is far enough ahead. Driving as a social interaction: that is one of the things that is yet missing here, where, mostly, everybody does their own individual thing regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
They better do that. It may be news to you but globally (and possibly India), the standard is 4300K (yellow light). White light and esp purple light IS BLINDING!
I don't understand this. Light is blinding due to strength and focus. If the lights are aimed properly, can the temperature make that much difference?

British cars over the age of three have to undergo an official annual test. I can't remember it's actual name, but everyone calls it the MOT. Better make sure your lights are aimed right, whatever type or colour they are! Service stations will have equipment or wall charts to do this: it is not approximate or guesswork.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote