Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th August 2012, 15:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: A Fiat Punto saves a family

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I always have thought that these solid metal bumpers were not legal and cause more damage to the vehicle hitting from behind. The vehicle hitting from behind would need to absorb full impact. I could be wrong, its just a hunch!
I think the low bumpers are there to prevent a smaller vehicles from going fully underneath the truck. That would be even more dangerous. So, in a way, it is there so that the vehicle hitting from behind will absorb the full impact and hopefully save its occupants.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 15:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: A Fiat Punto saves a family

These metal bumpers factory fitted? or just after market products. If its after market, it more likely isn't tested and chances are it can get more dangerous than without it.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 15:58   #18
BHPian

Default Re: A Fiat Punto saves a family

@Ramesh
The build quality of FIAT and luck seems to have saved your friend.

All the signals in suburban Chennai especially the new ones are potential death traps. People don't seem to follow the signal if police is not around or if there is only one policeman. If the signal is red and you stop the car, there is not gaurantee that someone from behind is going to hit you. It may just not be a lorry alone but could be anything from cars, MTC buses, motorcycles etc. It gets worse after 8:30 or 9:00 pm in the evening. My friend had a similar accident near airport but the impact was not this strong.

This is the second punto I am seeing where the inside cabin was intact with airbags deployed while the bonnet was crushed badly.

Where are the folks who claim that airbags and seat belts are not required in India especially within city limits?
Sridhar K is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 16:03   #19
BHPian

Looking at the impact, thank God that your friend and his wife are safe.

This incident is the perfect example wherein in a country like our's , safety and build quality should be the top priority for any car buyer. In a country where:

1) Potholes evolve into crators very soon.
2) There is no respect for law whatsoever.
3) Traffic/civic sense is non existant.
4) Law structure is the most lineant (lorry driver in this case will escape with a meagre 500/- rs fine as someone mentioned earlier)
5) About infrastructure, the lesser said the better.

My love for my punto has just increased multifolds .
ironshark is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 16:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Where are the folks who claim that airbags and seat belts are not required in India especially within city limits?
In these kind of rear-endings, the most vital life-saver is a the head restraint. Good that the Punto has those for all occupants. Some manufacturers are omitting this on some variants, and in some of them even the top variants with airbags and ABS, lack rear head restraints.

Last edited by Daewood : 20th August 2012 at 16:19.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 16:19   #21
BHPian

Its sad to read the story of a beauty that has been brought down just by sheer negligence of lorry driver. The best part is that all the occupants traveling in the car has escaped unhurt. It shows the build quality of FIAT. Life saved in one of the safest hatchbacks available in india
Nimish anthony is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 16:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ramesh Nanda - Sorry to hear about the incident and glad that your firend and his spouse are safe.

Exactly around an year back, My Santro was hit by a pick-up truck and was rear -damaged. The exact same spot Chromepet D.B Hospital signal / Oppsite Police station.

Punto is indeed a safe vehicle

Last edited by scopriobharath : 20th August 2012 at 16:24.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 16:38   #23
BHPian

Happy to hear that they came out only with strains That really shows how are Fiats made. I'm really proud to own a Fiat. Please ask him to to Tbhp and get another Fiat soon!
Naparajito is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 16:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see the state of the car but happy that all occupants are safe. Punto is indeed a very safe vehicle, it has a 5 star NCAP rating.

Good that the airbags deployed even though it was a rear impact and there was no rapid deceleration before the impact. Seatbelts, presence of mind to not turn off the engine for FE and the airbags saved the occupants. I'm not sure if build quality helped.

Good to see euro's do a good job in case of a severe crash, Polo saved a bhp-ian a few days back, now Punto does the same
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 16:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Good that the airbags deployed even though it was a rear impact and there was no rapid deceleration before the impact. Seatbelts, presence of mind to not turn off the engine for FE and the airbags saved the occupants. I'm not sure if build quality helped.

Good to see euro's do a good job in case of a severe crash, Polo saved a bhp-ian a few days back, now Punto does the same
Seriously - even with all their niggling issues - European cars seem to be a good choice when it comes to safety.

Airbags would have deployed when the frontal collison happened. Not only was he hit from the rear, he was sandwiched against the lorry in front as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 16:55   #26
BHPian

FIAT will always be a FIAT! I have personally experienced the safety I felt inside my Palio when I was about to fall around 20 feet deep with the entire family in the car!

Its great that both the souls are safe! Hail FIAT!

One question though. I always thought that the Airbags deploy beyond a certain speed. Surely when the car was hit from behind, it must have set the tyres rolling. But was it so fast that it triggered the Airbags to get deployed?
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 17:11   #27
BHPian

There have been many instances when cars costing even ten times the cost of the Punto, do not deploy the airbags during an accident. The common excuse given is that the impact does not trigger the sensors (which i believe are housed in the front bumper region). Am quite happy to see that the airbags in the Punto were deployed even though the front bumper region of the car is relatively ok. What a relief that there were no serious injuries. European built cars are the best.
a_myth is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 18:00   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I share my deep sympathies with your friend and his family, who were victims of the demon like behaviour of the so called "Kings of the Road" and so on.
To claim for damages please talk to some advocate who specializes in Accident Claims Tribunal (ACT) cases. These are tribunals which have sittings to decide the compensations to be paid for damages through the insurance companies.The truck must have been insured. Or else, the owner will have to abide by the Tribunal's order and pay from his own pocket.
Your friend may file claims for the trauma, mental agony, shock and anguish that he and his family suffered.The Punto was damaged and the damages will be perhaps reimbursed by the insurer.
The tribunal hears the victim, insurance compan/y/ies and the person/s causing the accident and decides and awards damages. The claims for damages must be filed in a petition which is served as a notice to the respondents.
These are working quite efficiently and you can approach a good advocate who has been dealing with the ACT's.
The fine which you have mentioned viz. Rs 500/- is paid to the government and not to the party whose car/ motor vehicle has been damaged.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th August 2012 at 18:08.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 18:51   #29
BANNED

I must say, it's worth buying a car which is well built. In an accident that's your only hope.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 19:10   #30
h14
BHPian

I feel really sorry for Ajit and at the same time happy that both of them are safe. Even I did not imagine this sort of damage when he called me.

Last edited by h14 : 20th August 2012 at 19:12.
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote