Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 16:31   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 817 Times
Default re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

i Agree its really painful to see these small stones coming up like bullets and cracking or making small holes on the windscreen. I have had two such incidents and now somehow try to be careful by following these.
  • The stones really do damage if the speeds are higher. For lesser speeds at best they would leave a small hole which will be visible only from outside and cannot be felt from inside.
  • So only when driving high speeds its best to keep slightly longer distance from especially trucks (somehow buses do not have this problem, not sure why).
  • Also keep an eye on the road/terrain, if its full of small stones there are higher chances of one making its way to your windshield.
  • Somehow either because of luck or because of following these practices i have been able to avoid such stones for last 15K Kms.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 17:37   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,189 Times
Default re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

Yeah, its unfortunate but, certainly not avoidable as it normally happens during the times when we are unprepared.

As majority of flying pebbles originate from a truck ahead the only safety measure that can be taken is to stay as much behind as its possible hoping the flying pebble veers its way to some other motorist.

Anways, it happened to my Cruze too last weekend when returning from Bangalore but, luckily no crack, no hole and nothing to remind me of the hit except a light "thuck"

You can continue to use the windsheild as long as the crack doesnt spread and impairs your visibility but, safe side is to get it replaced.

For hatchbacks normally the windsheild costs Rs.2500 and roughly Rs.3000-Rs.3500 for a sedan.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 18:05   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 317
Thanked: 131 Times
Default re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

Just observe if the crack widens and if it does then replacement is best option. If the sealant is able to arrest the crack then fine. But safety wise since the impact has been taken it is better to get it replaced..

Our rear wind shield had a small speck due to stone / pebble hit. Was to leave the car for service over the weekend so was driving as it is. Thanks to mumbai pot-holes the cracked widened it two days and the whole glass had cracked by the time i had taken it for service..

Had to get the whole windshield replaced..

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 18:38   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 269
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

I have got similar damage repaired by windshield experts twice on my Scorpio. They charge abt Rs. 800 and treat it with silicon sealant (I guess) and heat. Just go get it fixed.
WanderNomad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 22:02   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B'lore/Chicago
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

At some point, everyone who drives on our highway would have had windshield replacement due to these stones flying out of nowhere. I had mine replaced within 10 days of purchase. Have another chip, its minor, so left it at that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post

Later, I came to now that this is the latest technique adopted by the looters. They rob the occupants of their valuables and car once the driver stop to see the damages!

Lost the windscreen but saved the car.
I was returning from Gokarna to Bangalore on 19th night. We were crossing Badravathi at around 3AM when some idiot threw a huge stone at my car. Didn't bother to slow down, I just drove off. I am grateful to god that it hit my bonnet rather than my windshield. I shudder to think what would have happened had it hit the windshield ( I was doing 100-110kmph).


Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!-img_0179.jpg

Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!-img_0180.jpg

Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!-img_0181.jpg

Last edited by sachinj12 : 27th August 2012 at 22:05. Reason: Additional info
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 10:06   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,514
Thanked: 1,255 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Thats bad. These idiots do not realize that such irresponsible and stupid act can cost somebody his life.

In my case the brick was thrown at around 11:30 PM. It was dark on the highway and I took a lot of time to realise what has happened. The naxt day my uncle came in a cab and the cab driver told me that it is common these days and lot of such news of robbery is floating around.

The hole on my wind screen was at very low level (below the wipers). It could have entered the car if it were slightly higher.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 10:43   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 9,426
Thanked: 14,110 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

The crack on the windshield of an SX4, caused by pebbles on Tumkur road. The crack did not propogate further and my friend is driving the same in this condition for the last year or so!

Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!-dsc00472.jpg


Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 14:27   #23
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
i Agree its really painful to see these small stones coming up like bullets and cracking or making small holes on the windscreen. I have had two such incidents and now somehow try to be careful by following these.
  • The stones really do damage if the speeds are higher. For lesser speeds at best they would leave a small hole which will be visible only from outside and cannot be felt from inside.
  • So only when driving high speeds its best to keep slightly longer distance from especially trucks (somehow buses do not have this problem, not sure why).
  • Also keep an eye on the road/terrain, if its full of small stones there are higher chances of one making its way to your windshield.
  • Somehow either because of luck or because of following these practices i have been able to avoid such stones for last 15K Kms.
Now that you mention it, I am inclined to agree with you on the speed part.

When my windshied was pebbled the first time, I was probably at 50-60kmph and it made a small hole, but not significant enough to bother me.

But, during the second incident I was at a much higher speed, and it cracked the windshield (or probably the pebble was bigger this time, no way to tell!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yeah, its unfortunate but, certainly not avoidable as it normally happens during the times when we are unprepared.

As majority of flying pebbles originate from a truck ahead the only safety measure that can be taken is to stay as much behind as its possible hoping the flying pebble veers its way to some other motorist.

Anways, it happened to my Cruze too last weekend when returning from Bangalore but, luckily no crack, no hole and nothing to remind me of the hit except a light "thuck"

You can continue to use the windsheild as long as the crack doesnt spread and impairs your visibility but, safe side is to get it replaced.

For hatchbacks normally the windsheild costs Rs.2500 and roughly Rs.3000-Rs.3500 for a sedan.
I had replaced my windshield 9 months back, so I am too inclined to change it now, unless I HAVE to. As suggested by some, I will follow the wait-and-watch method for now, also I will go to windshield experts this weekend. Lets see what the experts have to say!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Just observe if the crack widens and if it does then replacement is best option. If the sealant is able to arrest the crack then fine. But safety wise since the impact has been taken it is better to get it replaced..

Our rear wind shield had a small speck due to stone / pebble hit. Was to leave the car for service over the weekend so was driving as it is. Thanks to mumbai pot-holes the cracked widened it two days and the whole glass had cracked by the time i had taken it for service..

Had to get the whole windshield replaced..

Cheers
MKP
Out of curioisty, how did the rear windshield have a peeble hit?

I have been driving for 2 days after the incident now, the crack doesn't seem to be growing, plus since it is laminated i hope there is no huge risk. Anyway, right now I hope to wait for the opinion of Windshield Expert guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
I have got similar damage repaired by windshield experts twice on my Scorpio. They charge abt Rs. 800 and treat it with silicon sealant (I guess) and heat. Just go get it fixed.
That is indeed something I was hoping to hear. Have to wait till the weekend to know if it is possible in this case :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
At some point, everyone who drives on our highway would have had windshield replacement due to these stones flying out of nowhere. I had mine replaced within 10 days of purchase. Have another chip, its minor, so left it at that.

I was returning from Gokarna to Bangalore on 19th night. We were crossing Badravathi at around 3AM when some idiot threw a huge stone at my car. Didn't bother to slow down, I just drove off. I am grateful to god that it hit my bonnet rather than my windshield. I shudder to think what would have happened had it hit the windshield ( I was doing 100-110kmph).
Sorry to hear that you had to replace the windshield within 10 days of purchase, thats really sad.

But, the stone incident is really scary. I have read of such incidents on this forum earlier too. Thankfully nothing happened to you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The crack on the windshield of an SX4, caused by pebbles on Tumkur road. The crack did not propogate further and my friend is driving the same in this condition for the last year or so!

Cheers!
Vow! This crack looks much bigger than the one on my windshield, may be I am unnecessarily worrying, but better to be safe than sorry.

I haven't been able to post the pic of the damage, will hopefully do it by tonight and then you guys can pass your judgement!

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 12:53   #24
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

I am unable to take a clear picture!

Blame my photogpahy skills, but I am either getting the reflection (sky, cieling etc) when taking the pic from outside the car, or not able to capture it clearly when trying to take the pic from inside the car. I guess I am not getting the focus right.

Was trying to capture with my cell phone, probably have to get my digital camera out, sorry no SLR!
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 14:12   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

@vasanthn21; I had the same problem on my car mobile or camera. Finally found by chance the key was the right light. One evening I saw things very clearly so then snapped them with the mobile
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 22:26   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 252
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

My 2 cents to the discussions, please note this steps were learnt from an auto repair guy here in Phoenix

1. Feel the surface of the glass, if there you can catch any scratches with your fingernails , in all probability it might propagate / grow

Action: Keep an eye for any growth

2. Use a gauge near the impact point ( you can print one like this from this honda website http://www.hondafinancialservices.co...amage_Card.pdf) and in case the diameter of the impact is more than a dime then it will require replacement.
mazda4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 14:43   #27
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@vasanthn21; I had the same problem on my car mobile or camera. Finally found by chance the key was the right light. One evening I saw things very clearly so then snapped them with the mobile
Thanks sgiitk sir. Will try again this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
My 2 cents to the discussions, please note this steps were learnt from an auto repair guy here in Phoenix

1. Feel the surface of the glass, if there you can catch any scratches with your fingernails , in all probability it might propagate / grow

Action: Keep an eye for any growth

2. Use a gauge near the impact point ( you can print one like this from this honda website http://www.hondafinancialservices.co...amage_Card.pdf) and in case the diameter of the impact is more than a dime then it will require replacement.
Thanks for the link. But I am not sure about this.
As far as I understand, almost all such cracks can be felt with fingernails, even very small one's.

The "dime size crack" might be a thumb-rule that Honda follows to make things easier (and to be on the safer side). But, as mentioned by other members in the forum (even a pic is shared in one of the earlier posts), it has been seen that even much bigger cracks have not propogated over years and people are using the windshield with such cracks without any issues. I am not sure how safe it is though!

As I see in the article (link below), a crack below 12 inches is fine and the dime size rule applies to chipping of winshshield.

Cracked Windshield: How to Minimize Damage and Drive Safely - Cars.com
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 16:08   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

About a month back when i was waiting in my punto near anandrao circle in bangalore, a drunk fellow speaking in hindi attacked my car (i was in it). it was 11.15 then and so i could not get any help.

He punched my windshield hard enough to produce 4 cracks in it. he also damaged the left (the one facing the co-passenger) windshield wiper.

Out of the 4, one is constantly growing, and the second largest is growing at around the speed at which human hair grows.

Thanks for the info about Windshield Experts, will go consult them today. How good is 3M car care for such things?

Would appreciate a response as I am planning to visit either one or both today itself.
abikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 16:57   #29
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abikr View Post
About a month back when i was waiting in my punto near anandrao circle in bangalore, a drunk fellow speaking in hindi attacked my car (i was in it). it was 11.15 then and so i could not get any help.

He punched my windshield hard enough to produce 4 cracks in it. he also damaged the left (the one facing the co-passenger) windshield wiper.

Out of the 4, one is constantly growing, and the second largest is growing at around the speed at which human hair grows.

Thanks for the info about Windshield Experts, will go consult them today. How good is 3M car care for such things?

Would appreciate a response as I am planning to visit either one or both today itself.
Windshield experts defintely must be more knowledgeable as they are specialized in this area, but no harm in visiting 3M and checking if they have any solution for this (not sure). If they have, you can compare the opinion of both these vendors and then take a call.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 20:18   #30
BHPian
 
saadat1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chennai (TN-10)
Posts: 593
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

The same thing happened to my Friend's Liva and Innova.
Both cars were on the highway, the Innova in the front and the Liva was behind it.
When they entered a new patch of road that was just laid, the truck in front of the Innova chipped a bunch of small stones on to the innova and the Innova in turn chipped a few on to the Liva. Both the cars' windshields were damaged. The Innova's windshield got two small holes while the Liva's got a very tiny hole.
Toyota advised to change the windshield of the Innova and they told them not to worry about the Liva.
So, if the crack or hole is big, you better get it replaced.
saadat1992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front windscreen sunfilm? Samurai Modifications & Accessories 2168 20th May 2017 19:12
Power steering belt snapped (Baleno). Can i drive 60 kms without damaging anything? rock75 Technical Stuff 22 17th December 2011 20:35
Dark windscreen sunfilms - cops raid in NaviMumbai!!!! gbpscars Modifications & Accessories 18 16th April 2009 14:48
Windscreen Grime Hazards! Sahil Technical Stuff 42 10th October 2008 10:27
Prius more environmentally damaging then Hummer?! amit The International Automotive Scene 4 21st March 2007 15:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks