Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th May 2015, 10:29   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Elephant Attack in the Bandipur Forest area?

How dumb! They should be thanking their stars, the elephant left them unharmed.

On a lighter note, they could wait and search the elephant droppings to get the bag, gold and the cards. Reminds me of the scene in Jurassic Park 3 when they search the spinosaurus droppings for the satellite phone.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 10:51   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess they can be thankful that it was a domesticated elephant. If it was a wild one, it could have easily got angry/spooked and could have done more damage.

I experience this lack of common sense and respect for the forest every time I drive down to Kerala. During my last trip, it was on the Sunday evening of the May 1st long weekend. In several places in the forest, there were mini jams and a long line of cars. All due to people stopping and trying to take photos of the deer and elephants that they see. And many people want to take photos of every deer, elephant or monkey they see.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 11:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

I experience this lack of common sense and respect for the forest every time I drive down to Kerala. During my last trip, it was on the Sunday evening of the May 1st long weekend. In several places in the forest, there were mini jams and a long line of cars. All due to people stopping and trying to take photos of the deer and elephants that they see. And many people want to take photos of every deer, elephant or monkey they see.
Absolutely. And, in the process make it too risky for other vehicles and its occupants. A couple of months back, a group of spoilt brats went around fooling with a wild elephant (lone tusker) in the Muthanga Range. The giant lost his cool and just ploughed the Bolero with its tusks. The occupants were thrown out (luckily) in the ordeal and the Bolero ended up mangled and with two gaping holes in the bonnet!
jeeva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 11:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Maybe its got something to do with the thinking that Herbivores are not wild or dangerous!

Anything wild is to be feared and our people take this in a childish way.
srishiva is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 11:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

This photography menace is a common sight each time you drive through Bandipur/ Muthanga / Mudumalai wild life reserves.

I have seen people getting out of cars, letting kids stand on top of cars and stand just few meters away from elephant herds which will be trying to cross the road.

Once I have seen a guy chasing an elephant which was left out of the herd since it had a calf. The guy was carrying a camera in his hand and my guess is that he wanted to take a closeup pic.

The reason for the same I guess is due to the fact that people keep seeing elephants frequently, in festivals, zoos etc and consider them to be very gentle creatures.

Talk about going for safari and people are afraid of getting in to open jeep due to tigers or leopard. However, personally I am more afraid of elephants and bears.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 11:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

A year ago my sister and me were travelling by car to Calicut from Bangalore and we were nearing the Kerala border in Muthanga forest when we saw 2-3 tuskers on left side on their way to cross the road. There was a small one too.

On seeing them, I stopped around 30 feet before waiting for them to cross and it seemed that they were waiting for me to cross as well. I would have stayed put if my sister hadn't asked me cross them quickly which is when I realized I was too close to them.

Once I crossed them, I stopped and turned back to see that they were on their way again crossing the road.
Realized later, it could have been a close call.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 11:51   #67
BHPian

Are the front legs of elephant chained?
Can't imagine the purpose of chaining this guy in a forest.
Pardon me for my ignorance.
pushpender_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 12:03   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpender_s View Post
Are the front legs of elephant chained?
Clear sign of a domesticated elephant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpender_s View Post
Can't imagine the purpose of chaining this guy in a forest.
Don't imagine, just ask.

An elephant can eat over 100kg of feed everyday, it is not practical to feed them in a stable. So the forest department just ties a dragging chain to the leg and lets it free to roam the jungle feeding whole night. Morning the mahout tracks down the elephant using the marks on grass made by the chain. Without the chain, it would be hard to differentiate the track of a domesticated elephant from a wild elephant.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 12:18   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

This elephant belongs to the forest department and is often seen near the water hole opposite to the Bandipur Forest office/Safari counter. I would take the Bangalore mirror story with a pinch of salt, it looks like more sensationalism than anything else.

In which ever way you look at it. Stopping in the reserve forest to click photos is a big no. There are n number of boards asking the commuters not to stop, but hey none give a heed to it. Such people feed the monkeys and deer by the road side. This menace can only be controlled by continuous patrolling by the forest department and penalize the offenders heavily.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 12:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

What idiots!

1. Getting down from the vehicle
2. Using flash !!! (even trained elephants get irritated)
3. Too close to the animal

Even domesticated elephants have mood swings.

I think I have seen that elephant (with the calf) quite a few times.

The elephant must have smelled the fruit in the bag.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 12:31   #71
BHPian

It is a known fact that elephants with calves are really protective, and would go to any lengths to save it from the perceived threats. They were really asking for trouble if they thought they could take a selfie with a large elephant and the calf around. Hope they dont try it next time with big cats, even though they might seem to be cute.

Really sad to see such obsession with selfies. Earlier read a few incidents which happened on the rail track and yard. I am not sure if they thought its more important than their life, or they were plain stupid, and did not see the risk/threat.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 20:30   #72
BHPian

Reminds me of an experience, while holidaying in a resort at Nelliampathy (Palakkad Dt, Kerala) a few years ago. The resort building with all the rooms on the ground floor and its premises were surrounded by forest all around. Resort was full and the open car park space located in front of the building was also almost full with vehicles.

At night around 9:30, upon hearing the news that an elephant has encroached into the premises, majority of guests wanted to go out into open and see the elephant (they assume that this is some sort of exhibition during a festival) which was stopped by the Resort staff. Then the other alternative of seeing the elephant was to go on the terrace of the building from inside. Upon reaching the terrace, i could see resort staff on the terrace throwing fire crackers and lit kerosene torches towards a wild tusker munching away in a thick green banana plantation which was less than 30 meters away from us. As the banana plantation is part of the resort premises, there was no barricade between the wild elephant and the open car park/building. It seems the barbed wire fencing between the resort and the forest failed and the tusker walked over the fence.

By this time, the terrace was full of guests including children. Resort staff was trying all their might to keep the elephant from advancing towards the resort building and the elephant was least bothered but busy enjoying the nice dinner. As it was very dark and the elephant was well hidden with in the banana plants, it was almost impossible to get the full view of the elephant. The glare from the fallen, still burning kerosene torches was the only source of light. Thus, people were disappointed and then I happen to hear the most astonishing dialogue in Malayalam "Oh God, please make the elephant come close to me, please, please" repeated couple of times I turned around to see a small girl of 7/8 years old, palms held in praying position, eyes closed and praying very seriously! An innocent request to God, the almighty! and what if the God almighty granted her the request! She had her parents also beside her enjoying the scene. Really, a good majority of that crowd wished it could happen.

Let me conclude the story. As the time passed, public felt tired, boring, elephant kept eating, staff still alert but with lesser frequency of throwing fire balls and all guests slowly retired to bed, least bit concerned about the elephant! (Ignorance is a bliss?). That includes my family also. Finally, we (2 staffers and myself with a good torch and a handycam) were left on the terrace. By around midnight, elephant had his fill, slowly retreated back into the forest and we also retired. But, I could not sleep as I had my doubt of the tusker returning to the taste of bananas. So, I was going up on the terrace with the torch, every hour or so to see everything is okay till early morning when the resort staff was awake. So, it was a sleep less vigil for that night.

Now, don't you think, "Ignorance is a Bliss!"
philgrac is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 20:56   #73
BHPian

People are scared about Tiger, Leopard and snakes when they are in Jungle. But cats are the most elusive of all wild animals. Two animals you need to be vary of in Jungle are (1) Elephant and (2) Sloth Bear. Elephants are intolerant towards other creatures and especially if there is a baby around or in case of Male in Masth. Bear have a very poor sight and any creature that they can lay hand (paws) on, they will seriously maul them.
NaveenKD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 13:04   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKD View Post
People are scared about Tiger, Leopard and snakes when they are in Jungle. But cats are the most elusive of all wild animals. Two animals you need to be vary of in Jungle are (1) Elephant and (2) Sloth Bear. Elephants are intolerant towards other creatures and especially if there is a baby around or in case of Male in Masth. Bear have a very poor sight and any creature that they can lay hand (paws) on, they will seriously maul them.
What most people forget is the simple fact that ALL wild animals have a certain "comfort zone". A very simple rule to watching animals is to know this zone and keep OUT of it. As long as you do this almost all animals will even tolerate a human presence. They feel threatened and will attack in anyone comes into this limit. Bears for instance need at least 150 to 200 ft, a female elephant needs 200 to 300 ft if alone and 500+ if with a calf.
In over 40 years of wandering in the forests I have been chased I will admit but ONLY if I have startled the animal or trespassed into their zone without knowing of their presence. As long as I maintained my distance and made no threatening movements I have been able to watch many animals for long hours.
Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 01:37   #75
BHPian

Was in Bandipur and Nagarhole last November with wifey and cousins , there were numerous signs on the Nagarhole side asking to drive slow and not to stop , followed the instructions to the tee and didn't stop even when we spotted a tiger just few metres away from the road in the thick bushes , tried taking pics whilst driving slowly but couldn't get a clear shot but had no regrets , some times you just got to savour the experience and move on , got to respect the fact that we are in their habitat and it is us who are encroaching their territory , was absolutely furious when we encountered a group of youngsters having a gala party with loud music and beer in the middle of the forest , unfortunately money can give people everything but takes away the last ounces of common sense !!
vickzkool is offline   Reply With Quote