Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 07:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Owners fed up, get Donkeys to pull their E-Class. Land Cruiser & now an Octavia

This is not unreliability - its about not being willing to plan for the service of what is clearly a unique expedition vehicle, and indulging in unreasonable tantrums. Assuming every spare will be instantly available solely because of the ticket price of the car is downright unreasonable.

If only 20 vehicles were brought into India, then of course no one will keep brake shoes in stock - it is likely that importing it may take ~5 days (or even longer if there's no BIS certification).

This gent is a successful businessman - he didn't get there by running his business on naive assumptions, beats me completely why he's holding such expectations when it comes to his car?!!

Last edited by phamilyman : 15th July 2015 at 07:27.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 09:49   #32
BHPian

re: Owners fed up, get Donkeys to pull their E-Class. Land Cruiser & now an Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
Sorry, but do not agree with the owner as per the video at all , in fact deeply condone it , he should have researched the overall ownership cost before buying a vehicle , he clearly thought he could afford the vehicle and so must have bought it , however he seems to have under estimated the running costs of the vehicle and hence the crib , comparing the cost of the cell for key fob to an ordinary cell i.e. INR 1500 vs INR 50 is a bit ott in my opinion !. Regardless of the cost of the vehicle sometimes customers are asked to wait as all parts are not in stock at all times and it is a common business practise , as another member mentioned on the thread he surely must have been given another key fob , so the reason that he had to leave his vehicle in the garage without using it just because of a broken cell is somewhat unbelievable ! Again , it is entirely his choice to throw his toys out of the pram but I reckon a decent working relationship with the dealer goes along way !!
So one has to be an engineer to buy a car. The conventional wisdom is to buy well known brands when not knowledgeable, to avoid experimenting with economical brands which fluctuate in quality.

Besides, a strong consumer voice is now available through the Net to bring the recalcitrant dealers under control, said dealers sheltering in weak legal action to get away with corner cutting.

Pandering to dealer favour is only a form of bribery.

Slowly migrating to smartphone based cab services to wean away from car ownership.

Last edited by proton : 16th July 2015 at 09:51.
Old 16th July 2015, 16:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
So one has to be an engineer to buy a car. The conventional wisdom is to buy well known brands when not knowledgeable, to avoid experimenting with economical brands which fluctuate in quality.

Besides, a strong consumer voice is now available through the Net to bring the recalcitrant dealers under control, said dealers sheltering in weak legal action to get away with corner cutting.

Pandering to dealer favour is only a form of bribery.

Slowly migrating to smartphone based cab services to wean away from car ownership.
Proton
Probably you have misunderstood my post , no where did I say that you need to be technically sound aka an engineer to buy a car , I'm not an expert regarding what's under the hood myself , I strongly depend on the gurus and the reviews here to gain that knowledge when needed , however what I did say was that one needs to be financially savvy to buy a car , especially the total ownership cost such as service charges , spares charges et al, that is the view I take and that is what I calculate when I buy a car, I firmly advocate that approach regarding any asset purchase if you intend to keep it long term , If you have seen the video the gentleman keeps on harping about the cost of a cell for his key fob , as mentioned in one of the posts earlier in this same thread you do not buy a LC and expect parts to cost the price of an Alto ,besides in your own post you mentioned that well known brands are bought when not knowledgeable than economic brands keeping quality fluctuations in mind, majority including myself take the same approach which brings us to the point that well known brands are definitely expensive than economic brands.It fits perfectly into my theory that if one does a running costs calculation before buying an asset then cribs like these can be avoided .
Also I have neither supported a dealer nor advocated sucking up to a dealer ,I would be the last person to do so , I had a running battle with Maruti few years ago when I felt that they were taking a family friend for a ride , will never compromise if there is any unreasonable behaviour from any retailer / dealer, all I have said is that one needs to be reasonable in their service expectations , not all parts are stocked at all times regardless of the dealer / brand , in the video the gentleman stated that he had to wait for 5 days for a small cell , 3-5 working days is the standard time quoted to get an out of stock part , felt that the gentleman was on an ego trip just because he spent over a crore on the vehicle , IMHO he was the one who bought it , I don't think he was dragged into the showroom and made to buy one so why go on an ego trip now !! I definitely believe in taking the social media or for that matter any available platform if one encounters powerful lobbies ( Some dealer are just that !) who hide behind weak legal systems , I'm absolutely positive that T-BHP stands on similar values and in fact supported a member ( Harishv) when he had a massive issue with Skoda , however one needs to exhaust all reasonable avenues before kicking off which I believe did not happen here as per the info on the video( Please correct me if I'm wrong or have any additional info which can add more facts to the issues raised in the video)
Finally I have been using uber for a long time here in London and also other similar services and I'm more than satisfied , however they cannot replace car ownership all together , there can be an entirely different discussion on the topic if required
My 2 cents on the issue.
Regards
Vickzkool
Old 19th July 2015, 12:02   #34
BHPian

You emphasized maintaining a good relationship with the dealer. Actually, in a buyers market, the onus is on the dealer to cultivate and nurture the relationship.

They are several videos on YouTube, from the news channels, each highlighting a different spare part not stocked.

The car ownership experience in Bangalore is sub optimal, easily confirmed by reading the Bangalore thread.

Every con is a nail in the coffin of that experience.

A British resort firm broke ground for a site in eastern Europe. They approached the local council for a road. When confronted with a demand for a bribe, they pulled up their tent stakes and left. The reason: How much is too much? Where will it end?

They had a choice. We didn't. Now with user reviews flooding the net and cab services available, we do.

If the traffic situation worsens further, I'll resort to renting living quarters close to my location of activities. No more compromising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
Proton
Probably you have misunderstood my post ,

Last edited by proton : 19th July 2015 at 12:08.
Old 10th March 2017, 00:41   #35
BHPian

Re: Owner fed up, gets Donkeys to pull his Skoda Octavia

If you all are wondering when a Skoda would get towed by Donkeys, Here goes:

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...ervice/578467/

It's the new Octavia. However, Skoda claims that the car was tampered with and altered from the factory specifications, hence invalidating the warranty!
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 01:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
If you all are wondering when a Skoda would get towed by Donkeys, Here goes:

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...ervice/578467/

It's the new Octavia. However, Skoda claims that the car was tampered with and altered from the factory specifications, hence invalidating the warranty!

IIRC I saw the video about the same incident on Facebook and the said car had aftermarket alloy wheels. Not surprised if Skoda isn't honoring the warranty related to suspension issues. Maybe there was a manufacturing defect but the customer sure has lost a say because he went with aftermarket fitments. I think Skoda should come out with a detailed statement on the same incident.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks