Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th January 2013, 15:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: My Experience with Office Transportation & Hospitalisation

Fantastic Post Selfdrive, this actually helped me recollect my days with in previous organization. Distance was the same except that we never got those shiny taveras but instead had the tinny Indicas.
And yes you are right, you will hear to a lot of mindless chatters amidst your travellers. Women can go on and on and on
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:34   #17
BHPian

Lovely read. Really enjoyed your style of writing, and trust me I mean it as I myself am a Creative Director (Copy) in an agency. If you are looking for a career switch to advertising let me know

I had a similar experience with the cabbies during my two month stint in a call centre. Three days of travelling in the office cab and I had enough. Come the fourth and I was back on my RD 350 riding to my 1:15 am graveyard shift
aadithsince1980 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:42   #18
SDP
Team-BHP Support

selfdrive, beautifully narrated and extremely funny!

Thanks for sharing!

We - "The Petrolheads" - never appreciate anybody else in the driver's seat.

I remember, I experimented with the company bus and the BEST bus for 6 weeks sometime in 1998. Had a factured hand from a bike accident. More than the inconveniences of having one FULL hand in plaster, the daily commute was painful. That time, I promised myself - I would not get into a accident ever again.

Have been consistently avoiding all sort of public transport from then. In a typical year, I take the local train possibly once or twice, bus 2-3 times and auto/taxi 4-5 times max.

Last edited by SDP : 4th January 2013 at 15:44.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:44   #19
BHPian

ROTFL! Dude this was hilarious, thanks for making me laugh on a otherwise boring day!

Cheers
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:46   #20
BHPian

Cool writeup!!
I agree it's difficult to be in a non-driver seat in a car and just be at the mercy of the driver! Probably that is the reason I am driving all alone in my car for the last 6 years, a daily 25 kms (both way) drive. And man, I am happy with that. Many a times the thought of going in a cab/bus had flashed (mostly after the yearly review )but that's it, never really could do that
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:56   #21
BHPian

Full Marks. The way you have penned down your experience, its a skill. I have a fascination for people who make even the most mundane activities look so exciting and adventurous. You are added to that list with all due respect

-Shiv
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 16:36   #22
BHPian

Fantastic writeup Bala. After using company transport in Bangalore it was a huge incentive to drive your own vehicle when i shifted to Pune.
heman_369 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 16:41   #23
BHPian

Smile re: My Experience with Office Transportation & Hospitalisation

Hilarious. I could easily put myself up there in your shoes - had the very same experience in 2008. I did not have a car back then and my parents were against to me taking the bike for the 14 kms (one-way) ride to office. The main reason for their apprehension was that the office time was between 2pm and 10pm and the ride back home after 10 made them so scary.

I had to board the cab by around 12:30pm - me too a victim of high volume in the rear confines of a Tavera. Over to the return journey, though the scheduled departure time was 10:30pm every day (yeah, 30 mins of grace period) there would be some great soul every other day who would call up the driver asking him to wait for just another 15 mins. Finally that great soul would allow us to start either by making him/herself available or by calling up again and saying "Sorry. My work is not over yet. If it's getting late for you, please proceed. I will get the 1200am cab.". By then, it would already be past 11pm and no doubt, I would be dropped back by (not before) 11:45pm.

Only after couple of months onto the new job did I come to know that this 2-10 shift was not so strictly followed in my team and those with their own vehicle could come in and leave early. And there comes the reason for me picking up my Alto.
callvvijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 16:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for reading what I had to say and for your kind words of encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, you have some style of writing. I was on the floor by the end of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Thanks for sharing. As a wise man once said...you must "Live to Drive".
Thanks gents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Absolutely loved reading, makes me think if I should summarize my experiences with office bus.
You have completed this experience quite fast, I wasn't expecting it to be ready this soon.
At my end the writing part is fast. It is the photo processing/ compressing that never happens. I know the Germany part of the TL is long pending, will do it in 2013. The TL is actually completely written, but the pics are more important there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Simpley put...hillarious. Just replace the office cab in my case with the public transportation and it will become my experience.
Thanks @ghodlur, I know as bhpians we share that common grouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Awesome . It was almost like reading a book, i was actually able to visualize each and very scene
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Nice reading. Could imagine each and every second that you mentioned. You got a nice of way of writing.
Thanks gents, very kind words from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Wow! Excellent read. And many thanks for making the world know the real significance of your TBHP Handle!
Thanks again. If you come over to one of the meets you will get a hilarious description!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Fantastic Post Selfdrive, this actually helped me recollect my days with in previous organization.
And yes you are right, you will hear to a lot of mindless chatters amidst your travellers. Women can go on and on and on
Thanks but ooh no, I didnt mean it like that. I actually dont mind the chatter. Just that I am not habituated to hearing people whom I dont really know that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Lovely read. Really enjoyed your style of writing, and trust me I mean it as I myself am a Creative Director (Copy) in an agency. If you are looking for a career switch to advertising let me know
Now that would fall into the digging your own grave category. You dont know what you woudl get yourself into by saying that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
selfdrive, beautifully narrated and extremely funny!
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for reading through and appreciating SDP. Really appreciate your TLs with Duma. I cannot even imagine how you guys (including @RavenAvi, who wrote such a detailed log of his Ritz purchase that I havent finished it in 3 days now!) write so much. I am just too impatient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
ROTFL! Dude this was hilarious, thanks for making me laugh on a otherwise boring day!
It my pleasure buddy. Glad to hear you had a laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Cool writeup!!
I agree it's difficult to be in a non-driver seat in a car and just be at the mercy of the driver!
Yep, thats common for us! I didnt even have to think about writing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Full Marks. The way you have penned down your experience, its a skill. I have a fascination for people who make even the most mundane activities look so exciting and adventurous. You are added to that list with all due respect
Thanks a ton for that. On two counts:
First and foremost I am an old hand and an expert at making the most exciting thing look mundane. So to hear this is new!
Secondly, I never had full marks ever for anything. So this is new as well.
selfdrive is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 16:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hilarious Selfdrive

But i should complement you here. You atleast gave it a try.

I cannot even think about it even with Hinjewadi traffic to tackle everyday.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 17:17   #26
BHPian

Sir, Excellent Thread!
But you were more and more expressive when you were deciding on the commute to office while you were here.

Well, If beat dint fit-in lets set for the cruze or the outlander that we went to see. Or, the force-one! Whatsay?

I was about to suggest the trance songs I gave it to you to counter-act the radha-khiladi combination. But you are back on good old Jazz!

Wish you a more enjoyable office commute!
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 17:41   #27
BHPian

Kudos for such a hilarious article on office transport. Brings back my memories when i used to take office shuttle.

I used to commute daily from my home on hesarghatta road to ECity almost 40km one way! used to catch the mini bus @ 6.40 in the morning and try to sleep! try because of the radio and also because of the cramped seats! im 5'11" and there was absolutely no leg room what so ever in that tata marcopolo minibus.
Morning were usually ok as bangalore traffic usually starts at 8. and we used to reach office by 8.15.

On the way back home it was nothing less than 2.30 to 3 hours in the congested bus and congested bangalore roads. We used to convince the bus driver to take the NICE road with everyone pitching with the toll money. but as it wasn't the official route the driver was always reluctant to take the NICE road as he might be barred from driving if some unpleasant event happened.

some days i used to take the car and it was like freedom driving on the NICE road. But couldn't afford to drive everyday not just coz of the fuel bills but also for the NICE road toll.

Just changed my job within a year and enjoyed driving my car daily to work.
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 18:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Howlarious Selfdrive!!

Do you suffer from the Phantom Brake Syndrome ?

Symptoms include slamming an imaginary brake pedal with your right foot , everytime you realise there is no way you can drive through the truck looming ahead.

I used to suffer from a horrible case of PBS , a few years ago when I used to take the cab to work occasionally. Worse still , I seemed to be the only person in the cab suffering from this (which includes the cab driver). My co-passengers were un-freakinbelievably aloof about everything.
sajo is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 19:46   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Smiles and peals delivered with flair and some panache! Your cynical witticism is exemplary, my friend. 5 golden-colored, all-pointy stars coming your way!

I could literally visualise you through each and every sentence of your experience. And I could actually SEE you crouched in the rear of the Tavera, doubling over your tall frame and all squeezed up, praying to the gods for the familiar surroundings of your neighborhood to pop up in your vision at the next immediate turning, as the Radhas and the Khiladis exploded their taandavs inside your brains!

(Now you know why the chicken crossed the road in such a hurry to get to the other side!)

I am actually glad you reverted back to that shiny blue, sexy little thing with the Honda badge. You can beat anything but you can't beat peace of mind.

And now for something completely different - you went to consider the Beat?! That too at 7.2L?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Do you suffer from the Phantom Brake Syndrome ?

Symptoms include slamming an imaginary brake pedal with your right foot , everytime you realise there is no way you can drive through the truck looming ahead.
I do, and badly. Everytime I am not driving. Oh my driving genes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I cannot even imagine how you guys (including @RavenAvi, who wrote such a detailed log of his Ritz purchase that I havent finished it in 3 days now!) write so much. I am just too impatient.
Slightly OT - Now you know why I use the Assembly Line. After I am done editing and re-editing my posts over the span of a week (sometimes 10 days, sometimes more) enlarging them as much as I can, even GTO lets the reports be for 4-5 days more (in case I change my mind and add some more colossal details to the already posted barrage of words and pictures). When he does the final re-re-re-re-read of my posts and dozes off halfway through the fifth paragraph, he decides it's time to move my thread out. His way of inflicting torture on the souls that infest Team-BHP.

(Psst, Suggestions for Team-BHP from fellow BHP-ians - please make a new rule and post it in the Announcements section = Ravenavi needs to SERIOUSLY trim down those epic mythologies. It IS an initial ownership review, after all!)

And them poor hapless BHPians never know what is going to hit them before they click on the link! And once they do, I end up all tied in front of their mental firing squads. Squeeze the collective triggers, men!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th January 2013 at 20:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 20:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post

One more part about seating in the front seat next to the driver is , your natural instinct takes over and you try to hit the brakes or press the gas , thinking you are the one who is driving .

Cheers
and I was thinking it's only me. Now I am glad that I am just as normal as all the other people are

However, the Thread Leader has very good narrating skills. Enjoyed reading it.

I user to avail office transport. It really depends on your priority. If you think time is more important and money is lesser, you take the transport. For people who want to spend more time with family and friends, should use their own transport as the office transport will waste a minimum of 3 hours of your time, no matter you stay 10KMs or 30KMs away from office.
Googleman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote