Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th August 2013, 09:32   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default re: My Experience with Office Transportation & Hospitalisation

On Day 2 in the hospital, the privacy concerns were dwindling as body functions demanded less inhibitions. The doctor helped by adding that the spinal anesthesia would not reduce till the system had been flushed properly. So I had no choice but to eat.

I had already warned colleagues and friends not to visit me in the hospital. A spy from office informed me that a few enterprising souls were planning to come over with some flowers. I guess they were also looking to bunk work or just trying to ensure that I had a good enough reason to do so. I had no need for 2 cents (even at early 2013 rates) from people in a verbal manner. So they got a reminder of my sheer dislike for any floral aromas. Eventually they got the message and left me alone to snooze in peace.

Well, not snooze but watch whatever was on the television. Radha and Khiladi were doing heavy duty pelvic thrusts, so that was a no go. India had just thumped Australia in the second test, so all the commentators were busy performing volte-faces. My mobile had been snatched away from me for my supposed benefit.

Thank goodness for HBO, there is only so much one can watch of the Pirates series. I felt like dropping to my knees in thankful prayer, but I now needed to get adjusted to the non availability of one knee.

I was bandaged from thigh to shin and all the sweat did not help with the itchiness, if that is even a word. This is one of my worst nightmares (I have many, perhaps it is a side effect of daydreaming) as my skin challenges Anil Kapoor and sweat glands rival those of Rahul Dravid. And if you hear any disgruntled fellow telling you that one of the most annoying things is an itch that cannot be scratched, he is probably right. Scratch that. He is definitely right.

Ergo, the most exciting time of the day for me was when the doctor arrived to change the bandage and then apply the brace. Till I found out that the bandage would remain under the brace. Now it was double trouble, the brace was of rubber/ velcro. Actually triple trouble, as in a couple of days, the shaved area of the knee (did I not mention that?!) would start growing a stubble.

Again, limpers cannot be choosers

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th August 2013 at 09:36.
selfdrive is online now   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 10:11   #107
BHPian

A serious situation and so very well narrated with humour! You got one style of writing .
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:58   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Your style of narration is really good. Similar thoughts went through my mind when I had my hernia surgery (ouch !!! i know).
Thanks! and wow hernia, I dont even know what to say
I will try to post regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Sorry to hear about all the pain you are going through. But good thing you got the MRI done which revealed the ACL injury. If untreated, it could have led to an unstable knee later on.
And nice to see that you have your sense of humour ( and also the writing skills) intact .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
A serious situation and so very well narrated with humour! You got one style of writing
Thanks guys. Fortunately the funny bone has not taken a hit yet. Not so sure how long it will stay that way, considering the dollar exchange rates
selfdrive is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 08:31   #109
Senior - BHPian

The doctor reiterated the importance and need for physiotherapy and allowed me to go back home. Crutches were retrieved from the home attic and brought to the hospital. These were last used by a family member a couple of years ago while recovering from an ankle dislocation.

I was permitted to get up and sit on the hospital bed after a 2N/ 3D all inclusive stay package. I sat there for a few minutes looking at the brace on my immobile swollen leg and tried to twitch my big toe.

The doctor asked me if I wanted to try out the crutches. With a wide grin, I grabbed them and got off the hospital bed.

No prizes for guessing where I went first! A big thanks to whoever thought of building a western toilet, one more to the guy who built them in India. I think we take the basics for granted. Oh, the joy of being able to sit up, the strength to go to the toilet without any help, to change your own clothes, to be able to brush your own teeth standing at the wash basin. Bliss.

This is really what we need the most, our health, being in control of our body functions. Not a fancy house, nor a long vacation nor a huge car. I was humbled enough to be reminded of my good fortune at having all these capabilities handed back to me. To think of it, all this stemmed from a minor surgery.

I was only bedridden for a few days, but there are so many others who end up in hospital for much longer. Yet, people drive like morons on the street endangering life and limb for others while increasing the revenues of orthopaedic and accident casualty wards across the country.

Maybe on our busy roads they should just put up pictures of bedridden people recovering from accidents in hospitals. Well they would definitely be more useful than flexboard pictures of gold laden local goons and thugs celebrating some unknown and unkempt local goon’s birthday.

When the can put up warnings on cigarette packs, why not warn morons of something more immediate and more critical?

Last edited by selfdrive : 29th August 2013 at 08:32. Reason: line spacing
selfdrive is online now   (28) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 10:26   #110
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
T... I think we take the basics for granted. Oh, the joy of being able to sit up, the strength to go to the toilet without any help, to change your own clothes, to be able to brush your own teeth standing at the wash basin. Bliss.

This is really what we need the most, our health, being in control of our body functions. Not a fancy house, nor a long vacation nor a huge car. I was humbled enough to be reminded of my good fortune at having all these capabilities handed back to me. To think of it, all this stemmed from a minor surgery.
Very beautifully put!
More than a decade back, I had a hairline fracture on the left elbow when I crashed my bike. A cast for 6 weeks taught me the lessons in humility and safe-driving which would remain with me for life.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 14:02   #111
Senior - BHPian

Arrow re: My Experience with Office Transportation & Hospitalisation

Hi SD,

Wish you a speedy recovery, never knew you had an accident. Even though it is an accident, you have made taken it very nicely. I can relate to every point you have mentioned; because both my parents are doctors; more so, my mother is an anaesthetist, who routinely gives spinal anaesthesia for orthopaedic cases ! These days it seems instead of giving general anaesthesia and numbing the entire body; doctors prefer that the patient is conscious and anaesthesia is applied to the minimum possible affected body part. (as told to me by my mother) Thats why local or spinal anaesthesia is preferred. If possible, I will ask my mother and try to get you answers for some of the questions you have !
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 11:50   #112
Senior - BHPian

With some help from family and some hoopla from neighbours I arrived home to a zero’s welcome.

I did not need much time to get used to the crutches. I was bouncing around all over my house with both crutches in tow. With the cast and brace in place, it seemed fine to move around.

My manager had very kindly approved a work from home request for me for the next month. This was a request that I never made in the first place. But that is another story for another time.

My friends and family will vouch that I can be quite a loner. I can spend days on end by myself without talking to anyone else. I am also an expert at sitting idle without doing anything, or just read books for days on end. Basically I had a lot of socially incompatible behavioural traits which would be very handy over the next few weeks.

The table next to my bed was loaded with mobiles, laptops, ipads, ipods and their respective chargers. I stuffed everything inside the table and mainly used the water bottle and the books.

For the first two days, the kids were quite happy to see me around at home. The younger one - barely 7 months old - was egging me on to pick her up for her strolls. By the third day, she realized that I was not taking her anywhere.

Our elder son – 7 years old – got bored of playing the same board games with me and wanted to play cricket. They learnt to return to their routine. The elder one went to school, played with friends etc. while the younger one learnt to ride out on her grandparents and neighbours.
New horses were ridden as the mule was injured.

Meanwhile, my wife (I call her D. For Don? No, actually it’s the initial for her first name) picked up all the work at home. I chipped in wherever I could, but then I could only do the tasks which could be done while seated. So I could chop veggies, but I could not fix a light bulb. It was not required anyway, but an example only to state the obvious!

Physiotherapy sessions were scheduled to start only a week later, after the stitches were removed. So essentially, I was left with nothing to do but logon and work. Oh, and of course listen to all the advice from people who I had banned from the hospital but now had a free run.
selfdrive is online now   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:46   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Very beautifully put! More than a decade back, I had a hairline fracture on the left elbow when I crashed my bike. A cast for 6 weeks taught me the lessons in humility and safe-driving which would remain with me for life.
Thanks SDP, unfortunately such accidents result in me looking wistfully at other bikers while driving in my car. The open view, the oneness with the vehicle as if moving together, the wind in the hair. Ok, last point not possible for me anymore. Yes, I do wear a helmet but thats not the only reason!
No idea why people keep rushing past on roads when it is possible to enjoy more by driving sedately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I can relate to every point you have mentioned; because both my parents are doctors; more so, my mother is an anaesthetist, who routinely gives spinal anaesthesia for orthopaedic cases ! ...
If possible, I will ask my mother and try to get you answers for some of the questions you have !
Thanks Ketan, especially for the anesthesia details. Wow, I didnt know you were from a doctor family. I will need to edit some of my future posts now!
I think many of the questions were from a time when I had enough space for thoughts. Now these have been crowded out by the usual routine worries of the rat race, promotions, dollar rates, petrol prices, backstabbing etc. I would certainly appreciate the answers though
selfdrive is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:33   #114
Senior - BHPian

The first and only time I left home that week was to get the stitches removed. The next two weeks were spent at home with the physiotherapist (hereby referred to as physio) visiting home for his sessions. I immediately learnt why physios cannot be classified as doctors.

They don’t try to twist or bend your limbs into unfathomable angles immediately after surgery. Well, they do but they warn you first. So you don’t end up kicking the doctor or punching him in the gut. Neither of which I managed to do successfully, I was ashamed of my incompetence. I now needed lessons in aiming kicks properly.

I tried to grow a beard. Someone pointed out that was because it was the only section of my head that I had any chance to grow any hair. I wished him a lifetime of follicular disability and went back to idling and lazing around. It really works, people stop making fun of your follicular challenges once you threaten them with the same. It is all very funny till you get in the spotlight yourself!

As you can see, an empty mind really is a workshop with no tools. D advised me to hone some talent with the time I had. There was one small limitation, I had no talent whatsoever. A tone deaf person with two left hands (for drawing/ painting/ arts) and two left feet (one now broken) in a right handed person’s world.

I hobbled into the balcony and tried my hand at some gardening. But it was not so funny when I had to move the pots around. I went back into the kitchen to help out. I tried to fix a sandwich while the milk was boiling. But I could not get back from the fridge in time to stop the milk from overflowing onto the stove. Gee, now I had something more to do. Not something I liked to, but a task nevertheless.

D has the eye to notice a shabbily done job, and though I had cleaned the stovetop to the best of my ability, it was not good enough for her discerning eye. She banned me from entering the kitchen again. So now to summarise my situation, there was no talent to hone, no ability to use, less rooms to enter and three weeks to go. I got back to my books. In hindsight, maybe I should have finished my two year old travelogue then.

All this was the outcome of an illjudged jump off a 10kmph overslowing bike. I wished I would have gone for the humble dive and earned some scratches instead. Not because I was getting bored. Quite the contrary. I was enjoying being on a break from the 9am race, but then it was not so much fun hobbling around everywhere. It was even difficult to get off the recliner and the bean bag.

Apart from physio sessions, the three weeks of laziness and time bubbled by slowly. My manager called me to ask how I intended to get to work once my 4 weeks at home were over. There was no way that I could drive yet, so that could mean only one thing.

Fellow bhpians, I would like to thank you for accompanying me on the long route - via the hospital - to come back to the original topic of this thread.

Phew, and in my opinion that is only a summarized rant

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd September 2013 at 09:36.
selfdrive is online now   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:37   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My Experience with Office Transportation & Hospitalisation

Great going SelfDrive. I mean the posts. However, I have a rant too, against you. Only if you could either increase the frequency of your posts or they get longer. Its tough to wait for this excellent stuff.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 15:22   #116
BHPian

I actually thought of choosing few pieces of post that I liked a lot and put them here. Then I almost ended up re-posting the the post

"Why do we realize the value of something only when we don't have it."

Keep posting & wishing you speedy recovery.
anand_hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 12:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Great going SelfDrive. I mean the posts. However, I have a rant too, against you. Only if you could either increase the frequency of your posts or they get longer. Its tough to wait for this excellent stuff.
I wish I could post more often, but I do have a day job that pays the bills and hardly leaves any time at home. Not enough time to spare even for physio sessions. So the sob story guarantees delays in posts here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
I actually thought of choosing few pieces of post that I liked a lot and put them here. Then I almost ended up re-posting the the post

"Why do we realize the value of something only when we don't have it."

Keep posting & wishing you speedy recovery.
Thanks Anand, I hope someone is reading what I blabber about. Else it is just me putting paper notes in glass bottles and tossing them into the ocean!

Last edited by selfdrive : 11th September 2013 at 12:57.
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 14:40   #118
BHPian

selfdrive, you're in the wrong profession! If you don't want to switch to writing full-time, at least do so part-time. It will make you and a lot of other people happy!
TheTeacher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 10:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

I was supposed to start work on the 1st of April. To repeat a stale one, I am not sure who was being fooled that day.

I was well prepared on the evening of the 31st. Crutches in place, mobile chargers, laptop, security token, blackberry, personal mobile, all packed up. The office transport manager had informed me that the cab driver would contact me in the morning.

With all the ‘excitement’ of returning to the confines of the office cab, I could barely sleep. I was trying to keep my tongue in my cheek, when the mobile buzzed. It was barely getting bright outdoors. Even the usual 630am crow cuckoo chorus/ ruckus had not started.

It was not a number from my contact list, so I did not answer the phone. In a couple of minutes, the same number flashed again. I stepped out to avoid waking up the kids (only a two kid parent can appreciate the efforts involved in getting them to sleep in the first place) and called that number.

Sir, I am here
Who? Where?
Office Cab sir

I looked at the clock. 615am.

Do you know what time I need to get to office?

Ho sir. Saade aath (830)

Do you think my office is in Bombay? It takes 40 minutes maximum early morning. Probably 30 if you drive.
Ho sir
Why are you calling me at 615?
Ho sir
Arey hello, what ho? why are you calling me so early?

Sir I had to drop someone from Hinjewadi office in your area after night shift. That is done. So I thought I will call and ask if you are ready.
What? Why would I be ready at 615? Come back at 745
Ho sir

735am. I got ready and hobbled over to my society main gate. The usual kids, joggers etc had not seen me since I stopped office transport last. I got sympathy nods from all of them. The younger kids were more interested in the crutches. The way they were looking all over them, they would be sure shot interns at CSI.

Surprisingly, my cab was already there. A beat up Indica. The driver was sprawled across his seat snoring away to glory. I knocked on the window to wake him up.

So you are the new cab driver
Ho sir. I started today.
No kidding. You started with this company today?
Ho sir, it is my first day.
Which company were you driving for before this?
Ho sir, this is my new Indica.
This is new? How many kms?
Ho sir, I bought it last week. 40k kms.
Oh well. What did you do before this?
I was driving a six seater rickshaw till day before yesterday.

Ho ho ho. And a bottle of tranquilisers to go

Last edited by selfdrive : 25th September 2013 at 10:41.
selfdrive is online now   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 15:15   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
selfdrive, you're in the wrong profession! If you don't want to switch to writing full-time, at least do so part-time. It will make you and a lot of other people happy!
Thanks for reading through!
Yes, a few of my friends do say that too. My colleagues usually think that with all my arguments, I should have become a lawyer! But unfortunately this was the first job that paid my bills. I dont really know much better and now I have such a huge mortgage that I cannot go anywhere.

It is all a conspiracy to keep IT labourers locked in this sector, I tell you

Last edited by selfdrive : 30th September 2013 at 15:16.
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote